• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump could wreck the US' chances of hosting the 2026 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to news from different sources FIFA has said that if Trump's travel restrictions are imposed it could seriously damage the US' chances of hosting the 2026 WC. By far the United States is the most likely candidate to host that WC. By 2026 every confederation would've hosted at least one tournament with CONCACAF (North and Central America) being the longest since they hosted a WC and that was with the 1994 USA WC.

US Soccer is all in on the bid. There's even been talk about a joint Canda-USA-Mexico bid but America wants to host. But Trump may destroy any chance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/sports/soccer/united-states-travel-restrictions-2026-world-cup-bid-uefa.html?_r=0

NYON, Switzerland — The United States’ hopes of hosting the World Cup in 2026 will be damaged, perhaps critically, if President Trump’s travel restrictions come into full force, Europe’s top soccer official said.

Aleksander Ceferin, installed last year as president of UEFA, the sport’s governing body in Europe, said measures that might prevent players, fans or journalists from attending the event would count against any bid. The United States is a clear favorite to be awarded the 2026 tournament, either on its own or as part of a joint North American bid with Mexico and Canada.

“It will be part of the evaluation, and I am sure it will not help the United States to get the World Cup,” Mr. Ceferin said. “If players cannot come because of political decisions, or populist decisions, then the World Cup cannot be played there. It is true for the United States, but also for all the other countries that would like to organize a World Cup.
The Trump administration’s proposed 90-day ban applied only to seven countries, but it caught the eye of world soccer officials because at least three of those countries have national teams that could be affected if it becomes more than a temporary policy. One of them, Iran, has played in the World Cup three times since 1998, and two others — Iraq and Syria — have joined Iran in the later rounds of Asian qualifying for next year’s tournament in Russia.

More at the link.

Additional source:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/uefa/258/post/3070217/us-travel-ban-would-hurt-2026-world-cup-bid-uefa-chief

Damaniel

Banned
Not to mention the 2024 LA Olympic bid. Why would anyone from out of the country still feel welcome enough to come here? Would we even let in athletes from the countries affected by the Muslim ban?

FIFA would let the world cup be hosted in a minefield if the cheque was big enough. But yeah. I guess if a decent chunk of players literally cant get into the country because they are a bit too brown that might actually give FIFA pause.

tbm24

I hope this doesn't happen. I have strong desire to take my daughter to this thing whenever the USA gets to host it again.

FIFA would let the world cup be hosted in a minefield if the cheque was big enough. But yeah. I guess if a decent chunk of players literally cant get into the country because they are a bit too brown that might actually give FIFA pause.
Yep. Says a lot when even Russia and Qatar aren't as regressive about something as us

PillarEN

Nah. If Russia and Qatar are OK then post Trump USA is more than ok too.

EDIT: Looking up 2026, they are expanding the roster to 48 teams!? Oh boy. More "quality" footy.

Hate to say it, but... um... good, I guess? I'm fine with not dealing with FIFA (or the IOC for that matter.)

No it's not. The US has over a dozen World Cup ready stadiums. It's a disaster when it's awarded to nations that have no existing infrastructure.
Exactly, hell the US could host the World Cup on a few weeks notice if need be (as could several other countries.) These events demanding corrupt, ego-driven infrastructure improvements is bullshit.

Santiako

We'll make our own championship. We'll get the biggest teams. The best teams. We will attract the biggest crowds. We don't need FIFA, I've always said we don't need FIFA. I've had some people, good people, tell me that we don't need FIFA because we have Trump. And it's true, Trump always gets the best crowds and the best teams.

Well, Qatar and Russia are hosting the World Cup
True but those were given during the Blatter administration. A corrupt Swiss demon that didn't give a crap. The current head aid FIFA are trying to save face, hence this problem for the US.

As to why they never took the WC away from Qatar is another matter entirely.

There's even been talk about a joint Canda-USA-Mexico bid...
I hate that idea, Europe is such a unique snowflake of soccer-loving kindness that each sub-Texas sized country gets it own turn to host, but North America? Nah, fuck you, you have to share it between three of the 13 largest (3 of the 10 most populous) countries.

Good riddance. The World Cup is a disaster for anyone who hosts it. Same with the Olympics.
That's not true. Only to ill prepared countries does the WC can prove disastrous. It happened to Brazil and it will probably happen to Russia and/or Qatar. The US would be fine since little to no new infrastructure would have to be built. You guys already hosted one in 1994 and it went swell.

The 1994 USA World Cup is still to this day the most attended WC in history and that's weven with fewer games being held than now (it was the last WC with 24 teams. Since then it has been held with 32. In 2026 they're upping that number to 48).

The US has the stadiums, the airports, and the hotels to host a WC in the west coast alone. Forget the entire country they could hold two WCs at once! You don't have to worry about that. It's the orange fuckface that's troubling.

By 2026 the US would have enough capable stadiums to hold two World cups simultaneously. If you are against the kind of waste and mismanagement World Cups can cause for countries, places like the US (among others) is where you should want it to be hosted.

I hate that idea, Europe is such a unique snowflake of soccer-loving kindness that each sub-Texas sized country gets it own turn to host, but North America? Nah, fuck you, you have to share it between three of the 13 largest (3 of the 10 most populous) countries.
Yeah I don't like that idea either and I'm Mexican. I'd rather have the US host it. You guys already have all that's needed for a WC and then some. Mexico would have to invest a lot and we don't need another Brazil situation over here.

Canada would be nice too but that country hardly has any soccer tradition... or a national team worth a damn (and thus public interest) :(

as much as I would like Canada to host,
I think it wouldn't be a good host due to the ultra-expensive airline prices flying from one Canadian city the another.

Canadian cities are too spread out far and wide making it a pain and expensive to travel.

By 2026 the US would have enough capable stadiums to hold two World cups simultaneously. If you are against the kind of waste and mismanagement World Cups can cause for countries, places like the US (among others) is where you should want it to be hosted.
Tell that to Blatter who instead of giving 2018 and 2022 to England and the US they chose fucking Russia and Qatar.

gblues

Banned
The only reason FIFA gives a shit about the travel restrictions is because it will impact the number of people that attend, and by extension how much money they will make.

The Qatar venue is literally being built with the blood and sweat of slave labor. FIFA doesn't give two shits about human rights.

as much as I would like Canada to host,
I think it wouldn't be a good host due to the ultra-expensive airline prices flying from one Canadian city the another.

Canadian cities are too spread out far and why making it a pain and expensive to travel.
Also do you guys have 10-12 soccer ready stadiums that have what FIFA requires for official international matches? Maybe less if it's a USA-Canada joint bid.

Size is an important factor, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom