• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump could wreck the US' chances of hosting the 2026 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I enjoy the World Cup, I wouldn't want it to take place anywhere near me. Like others have said, it's just like the Olympics, and puts a massive drain on whoever hosts it, sucking away funding from things we need to be working on, and continues to be a bloated, corrupt mess. It's like a carnival that sweeps in, robs everyone, and then leaves behind an infrastructure mess that nobody has any use for.

Every time someone puts in a bid for these things, they actively ignore all the other horror stories that have happened time and time again. Like someone standing in line to get their dick slammed in a door. For some reason, they think that THEY can do it way better than everyone else and it'll turn out okay.

I love that people are acting like the World Cup would be fine in the US because it has better infrastructure and isn't as corrupt as all of those backwater third world countries that got duped. You guys watched the news lately? Ask the people of Flint Michigan what they think about our infrastructure and relative level of government corruption. You think the Republicans that run everything now won't sell us out?

Brazil spent $15 billion to facilitate a bunch of dudes kicking a ball around a grassy field. The whole thing is fucking ludicrous.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
As much as I enjoy the World Cup, I wouldn't want it to take place anywhere near me. Like others have said, it's just like the Olympics, and puts a massive drain on whoever hosts it, sucking away funding from things we need to be working on, and continues to be a bloated, corrupt mess. It's like a carnival that sweeps in, robs everyone, and then leaves behind an infrastructure mess that nobody has any use for.

Every time someone puts in a bid for these things, they actively ignore all the other horror stories that have happened time and time again. Like someone standing in line to get their dick slammed in a door. For some reason, they think that THEY can do it way better than everyone else and it'll turn out okay.

Typically the horror stories are from countries that can not support the increase tourism. Unlike the Olympics which picks a city, they can literally space the entire thing out around the country nor would any city need new infrastructure for it.

I think an NA version would be fantastic too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The sucking away funds thing isn't really an issue for the US since we don't need to construct new stadiums in order to host the World Cup. There are enough stadiums in the country already to do the job, it's why everyone assumed we'd win 2022. It's not like the Olympics where a single city hosts and needs to construct a bunch of new stuff, the US already has the infrastructure in place to make it work.

By 2026 the US would have enough capable stadiums to hold two World cups simultaneously. If you are against the kind of waste and mismanagement World Cups can cause for countries, places like the US (among others) is where you should want it to be hosted.
Yeah, but since we know FIFA will angle to get some glamor project in, I'd rather some other suckers foot the bill.

The term snowflake is really lame, but I digress
Its usage was entirely tongue in cheek.

What are you talking about? "Have to"? They don't have to. No one is telling them to. It was the associations themselves that were considering it to improve their chances. And European countries have banded together before to host international tournaments.
Of course they don't have to, I was pretty clear that I was talking about the idea of a joint bid. People peddling that notion are essentially dismissing that Mexico, the US, and Canada can (and should) host the event on their own. Those three combined are more than twice as large as Europe. You could travel extensively through any of those countries while it was going on without even knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom