• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump could wreck the US' chances of hosting the 2026 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell that to Blatter who instead of giving 2018 and 2022 to England and the US they chose fucking Russia and Qatar.

It's the money. For all of the corrupt fucks involved a country with no infrastructure is probably preferable because they can take their cut of the contracting.

It's the money. For all of the corrupt fucks involved a country with no infrastructure is probably preferable because they can take their cut of the contracting.
Yup. If this corrupt fucks didn't cross that line of Qatar 2022 they could still be in office accepting bribes and kickbacks. They're the perfect example of flying too close to the sun.

Pfft his fan base doesnt care. If it was a sport a shooting unarmed minorities, wildlife or I guess car wrecks or American football, maybe.

Pfft his fan base doesnt care. If it was a sport a shooting unarmed minorities, wildlife or I guess car wrecks or American football, maybe.
Gotta love how in the US soccer is seen like a liberal's sport. Something only enjoyed by "communist loving progressists" when it couldn't possibly be a more conservative sport. And more capitalistic than, say American football.

In soccer they don't have salary caps or draft pick order priority given to the worst teams. That's why you have sometimes only two top teams dominating in some European leagues. If anything the NFL is more communist than world soccer. Also this sport is the last major sport in the world to embrace technology as help for referees. They just accepted goal line tech in 2014 and are studying replays as an option.

It doesn't get more conservative than soccer when you talk about team sports.

Dazzler

I hate that idea, Europe is such a unique snowflake of soccer-loving kindness that each sub-Texas sized country gets it own turn to host, but North America? Nah, fuck you, you have to share it between three of the 13 largest (3 of the 10 most populous) countries.

The term snowflake is really lame, but I digress

There's only been one joint World Cup in history (Japan & South Korea) The idea was never a serious one.

If it's going to a North American country, it'll be USA. Canada has the infrastructure, but artificial playing surfaces would be a problem. They were fine for the Women's World Cup, but the big national associations won't want their prize cows playing on plastic fields

Parch

America better get used to playing with itself. The world wants nothing to do with the United States anymore.

turmoil

Banned
I would like USA 2026 and China 2030 or an AU-NZ 2030 joint bid(very hard given that AU is in the Asian Federation and NZ in the Oceania one)

Yes I know about Uruguay 1930, but I'm Argentinian and don't want to throw money away in a joint bid.

Edit: Just realized that if Europe doesn't get a WC before 2034 that would be 28 years since the last one in western Europe(!)

Shoeless

Do Americans even want the World Cup hosted there? It's the WORLD, not America Cup, that means a bunch of dirty illegal foreigners are coming in. I think Republicans and Trump supporters probably don't want this to happen anyway, so this is actually good news for them. Tourism and its associated industries are evil anyway since they just cater to foreigners.

zulux21

so you are saying something good can come from trump being president?

this and the olympics both tend to just cost countries a ton of money don't they?

I'd rather not waste tax money on either *shrugs*

I know it won't be put to good use with the administration either way but still.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Trump supporters in my life will be happy if we lose a World Cup bid because they don't want stadiums full of foreigners raping and murdering everyone in sight every time a game lets out.

VeeP

America better get used to playing with itself. The world wants nothing to do with the United States anymore.

Your right. America is finished. Countries will never want to associate with America again. The world? Screw America. Screw NAFTA. Screw American buying imports from other countries. Screw American exports. America's done.

And damn, corrupt FIFA won't allow the World Cup in America because of their ethics. But I guess having it in Russia in 2018 was okay because Russia paid all that money.

johnny956

so you are saying something good can come from trump being president?

this and the olympics both tend to just cost countries a ton of money don't they?

I'd rather not waste tax money on either *shrugs*

I know it won't be put to good use with the administration either way but still.

World Cup doesn't require any new stadiums for the United States. The 1994 World Cup still holds the highest attendance for any world cup because we already have football stadiums that easily handle it. The finals would probably be in the new Rams stadium that'll open in a couple years that's privately financed.

TheXbox

There'll be some major policy reversal from the next administration, but I guess these decisions are made too far in advance to make a difference. People have been talking about the bullshit in Qatar for years and that's not until 2022.

Oh NOW FIFA wants to play the morality card? When they gave the last WC to fucking Qatar and all of their human rights violations? Pfft, ANY COUNTRY can get a world cup if they throw enough money at FIFA.

zulux21

World Cup doesn't require any new stadiums for the United States. The 1994 World Cup still holds the highest attendance for any world cup because we already have football stadiums that easily handle it. The finals would probably be in the new Rams stadium that'll open in a couple years that's privately financed.

ah, I guess it wouldn't be that bad then.

I would like USA 2026 and China 2030 or an AU-NZ 2030 joint bid(very hard given that AU is in the Asian Federation and NZ in the Oceania one)

Yes I know about Uruguay 1930, but I'm Argentinian and don't want to throw money away in a joint bid.

Edit: Just realized that if Europe doesn't get a WC before 2034 that would be 28 years since the last one in western Europe(!)
Russia plays in UEFA. You own that shit, lol. Western or otherwise Russia counts as a WC held in Europe as far as FIFA is concerned.

If CONCACAF gets 2026 it would've been 32 years since the last WC held in this region btw.

jorma

is now taking requests
Oh NOW FIFA wants to play the morality card? When they gave the last WC to fucking Qatar and all of their human rights violations? Pfft, ANY COUNTRY can get a world cup if they throw enough money at FIFA.

I don't see any references to morality though. FIFA aren't going to let the US host it if they won't guarantee that all players will be able to participate.

turmoil

Banned
Russia plays in UEFA. You own that shit, lol. Western or otherwise Russia counts as a WC held in Europe as far as FIFA is concerned.

If CONCACAF gets 2026 it would've been 32 years since the last WC held in this region btw.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that it's a crazy development given that "western Europe, somewhere else, western Europe" has been how it was done since post WW2 until Germany 2006.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that it's a crazy development given that "western Europe, somewhere else, western Europe" has been how it was done since post WW2 until Germany 2006.

From 1930 to 2002 that "somewhere else" was always the Americas. Now with 2018 Europe will have to wait a record 12 years to host again when it used to be every 8. It also took until 2002 to host it outside of Europe/Americas (it was Asia) and until 2010 for Africa.

Also when Brazil hosted it was the first time in 36 years since a WC was held by CONMEBOL (South America).

Europe had it great, not to mention the schedule for games always catering to European tv hours. During the 1986 Mexico WC games were routinely held at noon in the scorching June Mexican heat just to accomodate a 7pm time for Europe. Nevermind people over here trying to watch weekday games in the middle of the day while at work.

I hate that idea, Europe is such a unique snowflake of soccer-loving kindness that each sub-Texas sized country gets it own turn to host, but North America? Nah, fuck you, you have to share it between three of the 13 largest (3 of the 10 most populous) countries.
What are you talking about? "Have to"? They don't have to. No one is telling them to. It was the associations themselves that were considering it to improve their chances. And European countries have banded together before to host international tournaments.

dpunk3

Why? He'll be long out of office by 2026, even if he has a second term. Plenty of time for another President to reverse any travel restrictions he imposes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hoping by then NYCFC works out a place for their stadium within the 5 boroughs.

That's never going to happen. They're going to be in Yankee Stadium forever.

It's not so much morality as it is entire teams wouldn't be allowed to enter the US to compete due to Trump's ban.

KSweeley

Serious question: Is soccer actually very popular in the U.S for the U.S. to hold the World Cup?

I know that U.S. football (NFL) and baseball (MLB) are very popular but not sure about soccer.

Syder

Wait... Summer 2026 would be a post-Trump America, for sure, so...

FIFA are saying Post-Trump America is worse than Russia and Qatar...

Wenger_Knows_Best.png

Also, you think Trump's voter base is going to care about losing out on Football?

"Soccer's for European fags!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Serious question: Is soccer actually very popular in the U.S for the U.S. to hold the World Cup?

I know that U.S. football (NFL) and baseball (MLB) are very popular but not sure about soccer.

The World Cup is huge in the US, and we've hosted it before. Hell, the last time the US hosted the World Cup everyone made tons and tons of money off it.

Omadahl

Banned
So basically he's ruining my chance of taking my dad to the one athletic event we ever wanted to attend? Is there anything he can't fuck up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom