• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 2 turns 20

So it came to my attention via a Destructoid article about Gregg Mayles posting a slew of DKC2 concept goodies on twitter that #DKC2is20.
If there was ever a cause for a platforming celebration this is it.

CUHa5YhXAAAYJaS.jpg:large

Art from Gaf's own Orioto, check his thread!

Throughout the history of video games there's been a few cases where a sequel comes out that not only greatly refines the initial concept of its predecessor but completely blows past it in the process. While this sort of thing is arguable depending on tastes I think it's safe to say there's a few notable examples out there like say Uncharted 2, Mega Man 2 and maybe even Sonic 2 that took their respective series to new heights.
DKC2 is an interesting case to me here because outside of gaming enthusiast circles it's not uncommon to see DKC1 as the most fondly remembered entry with its warts and all (I'd say it's the one that's most likely to land on a list of top SNES games) but not to dump on the original DKC which I also love dearly, DKC2 is not only one of the most perfect sequels I've played but I'd go as far as to consider one of the all time great platformers. Let me break down exactly why this game is a gosh darn treasure...

1. Location, Location, Location

The DKC series is very environmentally focused in its settings, it doesn't often lean on abstract locations and stays relatively grounded for a game about googly eyed primates bounding across Kroc heads, partly I'll chalk this up to what the pre rendered visuals offered at the time of DKC1. As such the original game takes place across a variety of natural settings that make up DK Island, jungles, forests, caves, it's standard stuff but with a nice visual flair.

With DKC2 the setting is flipped to enemy territory and it begs the question, what kind of place do the Kremlings make their home? at this point everything turns a touch dark fantasy and the new locale of Crocodile isle brings a blend of moodier natural environments with a touch of the more fantastical and what a tasty blend it is.
A heavy pirate motif among the enemies leads to a 3 stage archetypes using just the pirate ship idea alone, the token water stages become flooded ship holds and the vertical clambering takes place on the ships rigging.
DKC2 also goes back to tackle a few previous settings from the first game with a more distinct twist, the jungle stages adopt a more foreboding tribal theme which removes itself far from the lush natural beauty of those that kicked off DKC1 and the mine shafts now glitter with colourful gem rocks which sets them apart nicely from the three previous mine themes from DKC1.

Suddenly you hit Krazy Kremland and three new stage themes are introduced that are completely out there compared to what's been seen thus far, overgrown bramble patches wind up into the clouds, the ever loathed Zinger enemies make their home in incredibly sticky giant hives and perhaps most bizarrely ramshackle rollercoasters take over the mine cart role. All in all it's just such a memorable batch of settings to journey across, my persoanl favourite may be the enchanted woods which approaches the spooky forest trope with a more airy feel effectively making it like the perfect merger of the locations that make up DKC2's crocodile isle.

RCEUPUp.gif

2. Gimmick doesn't have to be a dirty word
The first world of DKC2 is fairly standard as expected from an introductory world, the moment you hit world 2 though DKC2 starts revealing its style of level structure.
It's very much the tired and true introducing a new concept and expanding upon it throughout the stage, what becomes notable compared to DKC1 which more often than not stuck with fairly typical jump n' run antics throughout is that most stages tend to have their own more unique aspects to make them stand out more individually.
Taking the water levels for instance, you start with a standard one in the vein of DKC1, the second then focuses on cooling the water and getting through sections of the wet stuff before it heats back up to monkey boiling levels and then the third ship hold is more dark and mazelike requiring the aid of an angler fish to light up a portion of the screen.
Through the use of various gimmicked barrels and animal buddies DKC2 creates 39 stages that are all memorable in their own way.
Though I'll admit right now, Red Hot Ride is probably the most tedious stage in the game, that's one gimmick that's just too slow.

3. Animal Buddies
Another concept introduced in DKC1 and greatly refined here in the sequel. The Kong's animal buddies gain a greater sense of purpose as new ones are introduced with greater twists on the gameplay as well as full on transformations that turn them from an optional bonus to use in a stage to being the full on main focus.
I think it's safe to say Squitter and Squawks create the most noticeable variance, I'm particularly fond of Squitter for his incredibly goofy design and web platform concept.
And of course just smashing through foes with Rambi or Enguarde is always fun.

9KkcSUm.jpg

4. Rewarding secrets
Perhaps one of the strongest aspects of DKC2 is how it integrates bonus rooms into the game as something that will reward the player. Mercifully the DKC1 days of plunging down random pits in the hope of finding an off screen bonus barrel are gone, more thought and care is placed upon these hiding places with collectables and objects offering hints to the observant players that something isn't quite what it seems or you can fork over cash to Cranky for somewhat cryptic clues.
The bonus rooms themselves are effectively now mini challenge rooms with success rewarding the player with Krem Koins that can unlock more levels in the game's optional extra world. Working towards hidden and challenging stages is really the perfect reward for a game in this genre.
And for bragging rights we have Cranky's video game hero coins (aka: DK coins), the most sneakily hidden items of the lot with one per stage, you collect them to shunt Mario aside from atop his podium thus factually proving DKC2's superiority to SMW while Sonic's shoes prophetically sit by a bin in the corner, well that's Rare's humour for you.
Oh and the DK coin in Kannon's Klaim, what a devious placement that one is.

5. A well balanced difficulty curve

If there's one thing that's always seemed off to me with another SNES classic in Super Mario World it's how the difficulty level seems to just jump all over the shop only truly setting in the challenge when you hit a castle or fort, it's up and down like a yo yo and I don't think it's be a stretch to say Vanilla Dome's Castle is more challenging than most of the Valley of Bowser.
DKC2 certainly has its spikes but on the whole the difficulty level escalates in a much more logical fashion right down to its boss battles which are massively improved over its predecessor.
Instead of creating a subsection for bosses here I'll just say that Kaptain K.Rool offers one of the best final boss battles in the genre with so many functions to his blunderbuss you could make an entire Smash bros character with that boss fight alone, YEP AN ENTIRE SMASH BROS CHARACTER! YOU HEAR ME SAKURAI?!
In any event DKC2 offers a solid challenge without stepping into overly punishing, thus it's rewarding to conquer and still engaging when I replay it for the billionth time.

6. Fucking David Wise
What arcane wizardy was Wise using to pull out this sound quality from the SNES? well I have no idea but I'm thankful for it. There's a reason one of the most anticipated aspects of Tropical Freeze was the return of Wise, it was to see if he could finally top this soundtrack of his.
Amazingly other Nintendo titles that bring in DK manage to do their best to skirt around this stellar soundtrack opting for more remixes of DK Island Swing than the law should allow (dammit Smash Bros), as such despite a huge fan following the DKC2 OST isn't nearly as called back to in the series as much as it arguably should be (fortunately Tropical Freeze itself tackled some tracks here).
Oh but I'm going off track, DKC2's music combines atmosphere and melody in glorious harmony, ear worms for days, moody themes that put the exclamation point on an in game setting.
Heck we've got unique life lost jingles for each level archetype because of sound channel limitations, Wise was pushing this stuff to its limit and within these limitations created something truly great.
The commonly accepted highlight is Stickerbush Symphony (a track that's been victim to a long standing typo in stickerbrush) which supports the bramble backdrop and mellows you out which is handy seeing as they're often the more challenging stages the game has to offer.
Personally Forest Interlude edges it out for me but the great thing here is everyone has their own favourites and I want to say that all of them are at least good or better.

Ag0lVok.jpg

7. For better and for worse, it's radically nineties
Well it's not quite Kid Chameleon or a Sonic pretender but by virtue of its time period and some limitations on pre rendered visuals there's more than a whiff of the 90's around here be it a spider wearing eight trainers, Diddy's boom box, Funky Kong in general and even Dixie's idle bubblegum blowing. It's a kind of funny time capsule in that sense and to this day some folks are staunchly against having a googly eyed Pirate Kroc in smash bros because he's just too hideously outdated for them. I say that's part of the fun.

8. Secretly has one of Nintendo's best female protagonists
A sequel that drops the series main character, boosts the sidekick up to main character status and also throws in a pink clothed female as a replacement. In a way that's kind of ballsy but here's a fun fact about Dixie Kong, she hasn't been kidnapped while DK and Diddy have been captured multiple times, if this isn't the height of girl power I don't know what is.
In a world where even poor Samus got her character assassinated we can always trust in Dixie Kong.

Pictured, a character not in smash bros

You get the idea...
I think the DK series has always had the problem of being stuck in the shadow of Nintendo's flagship franchise, Mario looms overhead with a more welcoming series of games that have a greater legacy to boot.
On top of this DKC has had the blowback effect of "they were never really that good anyway" once the visual sheen wore off and people took a closer look at the original game's flaws. Unfortunately this seemed to drag DKC2 down with it for some reason but I reject this, I'm not going to tell you what the best platformer is, we've all got our opinions after all.
But DKC2 absolutely deserves to be among the 16 bit classics like Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Super Mario World.
Fortunately Retro's recent work with the series has given another two strong entries into the Country canon and maybe Kong can finally share the spotlight alongside old Mazza when it comes to Nintendo's own platformers, with games like DKC2 and TF the series has earned it.

Bonus Kongtent

Kremling Koncepts

Bp6EoRv.jpg

0ljOxjJ.jpg

Unused Ideas

CU2EKRPWwAAD_R9.jpg

Some level layouts

CUlC-yWWUAAv_eW.jpg

A vertical level blueprint, Anihawk would be proud.

CUcQkVMW4AINNPH.jpg

Bramble Scramble

8AYzpKx.gif

Okay, I'm done

Kamek

I absolutely love seeing this concept art and how these masterminds developed such creative ideas. I wish more devs would do this.

MrBadger

I played it properly for the first time this year. I really had a blast with it aside from that one level with the wind. As someone who's more used to the Megadrive, the game was consistently impressing me with its visual effects. It's aged surprisingly well considering the techniques they used.

The three Rare Donkey Kong Country games are pinnacles of Platforming. How I wish they were still made like this.

Even Retros take isn't as good. They're DAMN good, but I still prefer the originals.

-shadow-

CTRL + F 'Fucking David Wise'

Not disappointed!

Serious though, great game. Should play it again soon, but Nintendo decided for the 50Hz ROM on the eShop so screw em. Will see if the battery of my cartridge still works. Last time all my saves were gone.

Beat this for the first time this year. It really deserves more recognition. Sites on the internet always clamoring that Super Mario World is the best 2D platformer for the SNES. Nah, that goes to either this or Yoshi's Island.

It feels like an eternity ago since I first played it, it was magical for everything outlined in the op.

I've yet have to play DC3 though, by the time that came out originally I was occupied by something else (was the N64 out by then?). Downloaded all 3 on the e-shop. Another christmas holiday game to play, they are piling on.

Griss

One of my very favourite games as a kid. An amazing platformer, but not quite as good as some make it out to be.

In particular, the zoomed in camera was a bit of an issue for me, as was the fact that the graphical method used made the very edge of platforms difficult to 'see'. As in, it could be hard to tell where that last pixel of 'standable platform' was.

There's no doubt that the visual design was super-odd and utterly fantastic. The music was incredible, and the controls, while loose, were precise.

I don't miss the kremlings, though.

Goddamn, that concept art is amazing. The crocodile isle sketch is so cool. I wish I could see those unused idea sticky notes a little bigger.

It's really cool to see the Kremling sketches and immediately recognize most of them. They were so clearly envisioned at that stage that they were able to retain their design and function when put into the game.

Still the best DKC game!

Bgamer90

Banned
Funny story -- the original AC adapter to my SNES died in early 1996. My dad got a third party AC adapter from Radio Shack. It worked but it gave off a burnt plastic smell for about a month. My dad bought me Donkey Kong Country 2 about a week after he got the AC adapter. That burnt plastic smell always reminds me of playing Donkey Kong Country 2; I find the smell to be very nostalgic (haha).

Anyway, this was a great game. Definitely one of my favorite games on the SNES.

I played this game so much that my cartridge will not read my saves anymore :(

Easily in my top 5 games of all time, and the only DK game that comes close is Tropical Freeze.

Now I want to go play it again, thanks.

Gartooth

DKC2 is incredible, and I think it was the game that perfectly encapsulated Rare's vision of the Donkey Kong series. I think it was the first platformer where the world felt believably connected rather than just a bunch of random level portals. Rare did a pretty good job of following that with some later games too like Banjo-Tooie and Conker.

Also aside from Samus, Dixie Kong is the best playable female character Nintendo has IMO. Every game she appears in she is the best Kong to play as! :p

The soundtrack in this game is also David Wise's best, and I don't think Stickerbush Symphony will ever be topped as the best song in the series.

This game is my favorite platformer on the SNES quite easily, and I think the only game that even approached it for me was Yoshi's Island.

Zalman

Amazing game. I do think it has been topped by Tropical Freeze, but I have a lot of fond memories with DKC2. I wish they would do some kind of rerelease of the original trilogy.

Neff

The first game was awesome, but the second game really went the extra mile. Design, artistry, and sheer technical show-offery were off the chart. Amazing game.

Great OP friend Owl

I wanna talk about the DK Coin for a minute aka the greatest platformer collectible of all-time.

200px-DKCoin_DKC2.png

You collect things in platformers. That's been the standard procedure since players started running into all those coins in Super Mario Bros 1 and seeing that the game kept track of them. As the genre evolved, the variety and scarcity of the kind of collectibles increased. Some, like the DK bananas in DKC or the rings in Sonic, are basically everywhere, and work as guide posts to tell you what areas you haven't been to yet. Others, like extra lives or invincibility power-ups, are more rare and thus more special.

DKC2 has MANY collectibles, including 1-2 bonus rooms for Kremcoins that will take you to the Lost World, the hidden post-game world filled with devious challenges. But there is only ONE DK Coin per level.

dkc2___spinning_dk_coin_by_ribozurai.gif
Somewhere in this level is this big, shiny, golden badge of awesomeness, waiting for you to find. The levels aren't THAT big, so where could it be!? As players explore the stages, they start to have a conversation with the developers. They start to learn what kind of hiding places these things would be in. There are little rules Rareware sets up to guide the player.

For one thing, every time you see a single banana, you know its a safe route. This is the first time you've gotten Engarde, they want you to hold A to you his special move and smash into that box revealing a secret. If a banana is over what looks to be a bottomless pit, you can jump in knowing full well it won't kill you. When the game's momentum naturally pushes you in one direction, or you find a little secret...dig deeper. Isn't there something suspicious about that area, why would it be there? Push a little further in the other direction, and there's that DK coin!

Here's one of my favorites. This is near the beginning of a new level, and since this is a 2D platformer, you natural inclination is to run to the right. But as soon as you star the level, you hear the familar buzzing of the Zinger enemies. Well...they aren't here on the right? Its because they're actually on the left! You have to use the "beginning of the level DK Barrel" to get past them. Look at the way Rare tries to guide the players with the banana trail, teaching them a higher level movement mechanic which is is rolling off an edge and then jumping at the last second to cover more ground. You then have to careful jump(or use your post-hit invinciblity) to get to the treasure chest in the back, which can only be opened by smashing it against the four zingers, to unlock the DK Coin.

This is the only DK Coin hidden at the left side of the screen, but its the kind of thing that keeps you on your toes. Hell, one of them is actually hidden inside a bonus room. A secret within a secret.

Best thing of all, you wanna click all 40 of these because fuck Cranky Kong. Every time you check on your DK Coin collection status, Cranky Kong talks about what a fuckin joke of a video game hero you are. Look at Sonic and and Earthworm Jim over there with the trash! That's you if you can't even manage 30 of them!

CrankysVideoGameHeroes.png

You get all 40, Cranky Kong finally acknowledges you as a true hero, and goddamnit it feels good.

Isotope

Best game in the series and one of the greatest games ever made; my personal favorite game ever. I can always go back to it and never get bored one bit; I love this game so much.

For one thing, every time you see a single banana, you know its a safe route. This is the first time you've gotten Engarde, they want you to hold A to you his special move and smash into that box revealing a secret. If a banana is over what looks to be a bottomless pit, you can jump in knowing full well it won't kill you. When the game's momentum naturally pushes you in one direction, or you find a little secret...dig deeper. Isn't there something suspicious about that area, why would it be there? Push a little further in the other direction, and there's that DK coin!

Well said, and I think it's also something that Retro nailed with their puzzle pieces. The pieces themselves aren't as satisfying to collect, but they are generally hidden in a similar way.

Edit: given your love of the DK Coin, how did you like this guy?

iXw8tFt.jpg

DMNBT

Neo Member
I think this is not only one of the few, but was the first game I've bothered to complete 100% (102%?). I should check if my catridge still works...

Has been in my Top 5 since I was a kid. Great work OP, was an absolute treat to read. (And thanks for the new wallpaper, never saw Orioto's work on this one.) Still the absolute pinnacle of the series for me.

Well said, and I think it's also something that Retro nailed with their puzzle pieces. The pieces themselves aren't as satisfying to collect, but they are generally hidden in a similar way.

iXw8tFt.jpg

These guys are bullshit and one of the many reasons DKC3 isn't as good as DKC2.

Jacqli

And the instruction manual was also hilarious with Cranky's comments.

Great game and sequel. I watched Arino's challenge of this game the other day and I had the urge to replay it for the millionth time.

ItIsOkBro

One of my favourite games and the best platforming game I've ever played.

The decision to make the bonus rooms mean something was a brilliant one and adds another layer to the game that wasn't there in DKC1.

The difficult curve is so spot on. And I love that it's challenging without having to rely too much on the frustrating aspects of platformers, like crazy jumps and super skinny platforms and so on.

Amazing soundtrack from David Wise, still listen to it. Always surprising this quality of music came out of a SNES.

I'm afraid that most platforming games take 'platforming' too literally. As in, the levels feel like a collection of platforms, and the platforms are objects thrown into the level for platforming's sake. Not in DKC2 though (and 1 and 3). Here, the levels feel like cohesive locations, and the obstacles you face are a naturally integrated into the level. And DKC2 has my favorite levels.

K.Rool in the Flying Krock there is also a damn good boss fight. Playing that thing as Diddy so you can't Dixie twirl over all his shit is one hell of an experience.

20 years strong; no platforming game has managed to surpass DKC2 for me.

rardk64

I don't think this game really gets overlooked, to be honest. I always see it touted as the best in the series. I do feel DKC3 is underappreciated though. It may not break huge new ground like DKC2 did, but it's still very good.

Also, I think DKCTF did best it in many areas, but it doesn't ever try to achieve that dark feel of DKC2 which I wish it did.

Very nice thread, OP. I've actually been playing this game on my n3DS via Retro Arch over the last few weeks. I'm on the final world at the moment, expect to finish it this evening or perhaps early next week.

I think it's a top notch game, still holds up. Music is great. I think, similarly to Tropical Freeze, people act like this is the second coming of platformers. I don't think it is. I think it's great, but I also think 1 and 3 are great.

Mercifully the DKC1 days of plunging down random pits in the hope of finding an off screen bonus barrel are gone,

This is the only thing that I thought DKC did better. Some of DKC's bonus rooms were so well hidden that you almost needed the strategy guide to find them. But from DKC2 onwards, gone was the sense of discovery you got when, on a hunch, you threw a barrel at a wall and uncovered a bonus room. The bonus rooms in 2, 3, and especially Retro's 'DKC' games are just way too easy to find.

Duderz

Banned
If there is one thing that is sorely missing in the Retro DKC games, it is the meta commentary provided by Cranky. He's just so...boring now.

ItIsOkBro

This is the only thing that I thought DKC did better. Some of DKC's bonus rooms were so well hidden that you almost needed the strategy guide to find them. But from DKC2 onwards, gone was the sense of discovery you got when, on a hunch, you threw a barrel at a wall and uncovered a bonus room. The bonus rooms in 2, 3, and especially Retro's 'DKC' games are just way too easy to find.

I don't think I can disagree more, there was nothing fun about me running up against every wall with a barrel in hand.

Also, DKC2 has it's fair share of cleverly hidden bonus barrels. One of the last ones I ever found was the one where the cannon dude fires a slow cannon and you gotta follow it to the left until it breaks a wall.

iXw8tFt.jpg

On one hand, sometimes he provided an interesting puzzle on how to hit him which was a fresh take instead of just a collectible.

On the other hand, by nature what what he is (needs an entire room in the level, can't be underwater or in the air), he very often isn't hidden or placed as well within the level and that makes the 2's DK Coin better.

First time I've seen nostalgia for randomly placed secrets with little logic behind their discoviries[

Maybe because they're supposed to be, you know, secrets?

Once you dangle a banana at the top of the screen to let the player know there's a barrel up there, it's no longer a secret.

83ac8087239fbfdf479db9863a83fe6a.jpg

...so why should it in games?

P.S. I'm sure you can guess which Metroid game is my favorite.

Great OP friend Owl

I wanna talk about the DK Coin for a minute aka the greatest platformer collectible of all-time.
*snip*
Damn right, one of the great things about its hidden status is simultaneously the fact that it's pretty big yet can still manage to elude, last time I couldn't find it in Glimmer's Galleon I was just thinking to myself "how can I continually miss something that big?!"
Going through that video was a nostalgia trip, I'm quite a fan of the one in Bramble Blast where you have a split second to risk bouncing backwards from the dragonfly chain and see where the bananas behind you lead which in turn gives you a taster of Squawks Bramble Scramble.

iXw8tFt.jpg
When it comes to Koin, it's like when its done well it's pretty neat but there's just not enough ways to create variety with him over the entire game so for every interesting Koin puzzle you also have him just chilling at the end of a water stage waiting to die for example.

As for Retro's puzzle pieces, similarly to Koin there's a bunch of well placed ones let down by the odd ones that are just tucked behind one of the numerous plants/dandelion puffs scattered throughout the stage in plain pathway progression.
Less would be more in this case, oh and the bonus rooms while often placed well were incredibly underwhelming in their games, it's really their only major flaw in my mind.

If there is one thing that is sorely missing in the Retro DKC games, it is the meta commentary provided by Cranky. He's just so...boring now.

To think his best snark work in the last decade came from twitter of all places, well at least someone got it.
pbglnmt.png

I don't think I can disagree more, there was nothing fun about me running up against every wall with a barrel in hand.

But why not? I could understand being frustrated at not being able to find every bonus stage if getting 101% was compulsory, but it's not. It's just a fun thing to do once you've already beaten the game, and the only thing it unlocks (IIRC) is a sound test.

I mean, seriously... carrying a barrel/steel keg in front of you as Diddy, running up against walls until you hear this glorious sound... how can anyone not find that fun? As a kid, I had a blast revisiting each stage looking for secrets. Hell, on two separate occasions I discovered warp barrels that weren't even documented in the strategy guide! I literally searched every nook and cranny of the game. I feel sorry for people who didn't get that much enjoyment out of the game.

Top Bottom