• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 2 turns 20

What really makes DKC2, other than the master class level design, is how well Diddy and Dixie compliment each other. Diddy still has his gotta-go-fast kinetic platforming, whereas Dixie is more forgiving, but grants the player more precise controls in the air.

Well said, and I think it's also something that Retro nailed with their puzzle pieces. The pieces themselves aren't as satisfying to collect, but they are generally hidden in a similar way.

Edit: given your love of the DK Coin, how did you like this guy?

iXw8tFt.jpg

Koin turned what was a secret finding quest into more of a puzzle. It's really just different, but I think I prefer the secret.

I know this series on the SNES gets a bit of hate, but I generally find them to be great games. And the look and music is a very "time and place" kind of thing for me from the 90's. Sure, the pre-rendered graphics have not aged as well, but I still think they are totally acceptable. And it really sucks that DKC3 came out in 1996 after the N64 launches in that I thought that was a really strong game as well.

I mostly agree with you guys on Koin: when he's done well, it's really pretty cool, otherwise kinda so-so. I generally love DKC3, though, just not as much as 2.

Kurt

Best DK game.
- music
- leveldesign
- atmosphere
- gameplay

it has it all.

I did play all of them to the end, except tropical freeze.
Did bought tropical freeze yesterday.
So i can't justify that game yet except the music
(which is good but isn't better than dk2 by far)

hiptanaka

One of the best soundtracks of all time. David Wise is a genius, and I've always found his surname to be quite fitting.

mjc

Such fantastic music, levels, looks...the best DKC on SNES.

How's the version that's up on the Wii U VC?

I thought it was great , but I am sure there are people with a keener eye for retro games that can give you a better impression than me.

Datschge

Most varied platform game ever, one unique "gimmick" per stage, every stage with its own distinct look and feel. And the most fitting BGM to boot.

NEO0MJ

Such a great game.

Easily.

Also, Dixie hair spin is the best kind of broken for platforming.

Yeah, it makes things so easy. Funny thing is that her hair spin is mostly a crutch for begginers. In DKC2 Diddy was the preferred character for Speed Runs while from DKC TF Cranky was considered the best.

You might be better off grabbing it from the Wii Shop channel. For whatever reason, Nintendo decided that every game on the Wii U VC should come packaged with some hideous filter that makes all the colors seem darker and faded:

J36GgxG.png

(and no, it's not just a N64 thing. They're all like this.)

This makes me want to play this all over again. I remember this one more then 1 and 3. I wonder if part of why I gravitated to this one more because I was a kid and there were 2 kong kids to play as. I never found all the secrets back then and the difficulty of later levels is real. I enjoyed DKCTF but 2 has something special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quite easily my favourite game, second only to Super Metroid. Everything about it is pretty much perfect.

Yrael

What a fantastic game - and OP!

You might be better off grabbing it from the Wii Shop channel. For whatever reason, Nintendo decided that every game on the Wii U VC should come packaged with some hideous filter that makes all the colors seem darker and faded:

J36GgxG.png

The SNES games on Wii U VC are fine. The NES and N64 games are darker, for some reason.

(Bizarrely though, DKC2 on the Wii U eShop is the 50 Hz version, whereas DKC and DKC3 are both 60 Hz)

jwhit28

I can't pick between DKC2 and Yoshi's Island for my favorite SNES game. I know without a doubt that DKC2 has my favorite setting and soundtrack of any videogame. I really like DKC: Returns, but it disappointed me in how closely it stuck to DKC1's themes and lifted a lot of the soundtrack. How do you ignore the best game in the series and one of the best soundtracks ever? Tropical Freeze remedied this and it's part of why it's my favorite 2D platformer. Daivd Wise's return was everything I thought it would be and more. The individual songs aren't as memorable as DKC2 but I think that comes down to there just being so much of them.

Love this game. Amazing gameplay (so varied!!!), graphics, music, characters and setting. Probably my favorite game to this day. Just look at my name. Everything just falls into place so well.

I really wish subsequent Donkey Kong and spinoff games pulled more from this masterpiece . In terms of aesthetics, for example, just imagine a Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros level based on Bramble Scramble or Krazy Kremland instead of the usual jungle we've seen dozens of times. Or looking to December, imagine K. Rool finally in Smash Bros (and Dixie, too...not or!).

Great opening post! Happy 20 years DKC2.

Cub3h

Banned
I can't do anything but add to the lovefest. Great post by ViewtifulJC about the DK Coin, that very last DK coin eluded me and my friend for so long but it was so awesome to finally find it (it was the one with the cannonballs and the rope where you have to walk 'through' the wall).

A new game with this artstyle would be amazing, I think Tropical Freeze had the gameplay and music down to a T but most levels missed the atmospheric touch of the 2d games. Those arctic enemies just didn't feel right..

mjc

J36GgxG.png

Interesting...I don't think that would bother me too terribly much.

hydruxo

Still my favorite game of all time to this day. The soundtrack, platforming, level design, and atmosphere were all top notch. One of the few games I still replay often.

Yrael

Are you sure? It's been a while since I played it, but I recall being disappointed at how dim the colors looked in VC EarthBound.

I have all three DKC games on the Wii U, and their colours are fine. I remember there being a thread a while ago here on GAF about the dim colour of VC games on the Wii U that concluded SNES emulation was the best.

Isn't that only in the EU, though?

Ah fuck, I think you're right - I'll never know why they decided to revert to 50Hz solely for DKC2 and not the other two games on the PAL eShop. :/

Great write up, Owl. The visuals, soundtrack, platforming, and atmosphere are all top notch.

(I feel so old with you mentioning it's been 20 years)

Good thread, friend Owl. If I had a Kane gif handy, it'd be here.

Fuck Animal Antics though. 20 years later and it's just as hard as I remember, if not harder.

ItIsOkBro

But why not? I could understand being frustrated at not being able to find every bonus stage if getting 101% was compulsory, but it's not. It's just a fun thing to do once you've already beaten the game, and the only thing it unlocks (IIRC) is a sound test.

I mean, seriously... carrying a barrel/steel keg in front of you as Diddy, running up against walls until you hear this glorious sound... how can anyone not find that fun? As a kid, I had a blast revisiting each stage looking for secrets. Hell, on two separate occasions I discovered warp barrels that weren't even documented in the strategy guide! I literally searched every nook and cranny of the game. I feel sorry for people who didn't get that much enjoyment out of the game.

The DK Coin in 2 doesn't isn't compulsory either but people love finding those. Idk man if it's in the game I feel compelled to find it.

Choomp

Banned
One of the best platformers of all time. More people really need to play this, a lot seem to have missed out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Such a good game. Fantastic level design, and a perfect level of challenge. It's a lot darker and drearier than the first game, but it totally works.

MrBadger

If there is one thing that is sorely missing in the Retro DKC games, it is the meta commentary provided by Cranky. He's just so...boring now.

Absolutely. If there's one thing Rare have over Retro, it's a good sense of humour. They're not afraid to make fun of themselves, either. Glad to see that wit's being put to good use in Yooka Laylee

Neiteio

Haven't gone through the whole OP yet, but just skimming it, it's already one of the best in GAF history.

Wish Retro wasn't so deathly afraid of this amazing art style.

Nice OP.
YES! Oh man, I'd love to see Retro interpret DKC2's style.

Zyrox

Fantastic game. One of my SNES favorites.
Remember, kids: It's Diddy's Kong Quest (pun on Diddy's Conquest) not Diddy Kong's Quest. <- That was how I read it for a very long time.
Also, it's Stickerbush Symphony. No "r" in bush.

Neiteio

Great OP friend Owl

I wanna talk about the DK Coin for a minute aka the greatest platformer collectible of all-time.

200px-DKCoin_DKC2.png

You collect things in platformers. That's been the standard procedure since players started running into all those coins in Super Mario Bros 1 and seeing that the game kept track of them. As the genre evolved, the variety and scarcity of the kind of collectibles increased. Some, like the DK bananas in DKC or the rings in Sonic, are basically everywhere, and work as guide posts to tell you what areas you haven't been to yet. Others, like extra lives or invincibility power-ups, are more rare and thus more special.

DKC2 has MANY collectibles, including 1-2 bonus rooms for Kremcoins that will take you to the Lost World, the hidden post-game world filled with devious challenges. But there is only ONE DK Coin per level.

dkc2___spinning_dk_coin_by_ribozurai.gif
Somewhere in this level is this big, shiny, golden badge of awesomeness, waiting for you to find. The levels aren't THAT big, so where could it be!? As players explore the stages, they start to have a conversation with the developers. They start to learn what kind of hiding places these things would be in. There are little rules Rareware sets up to guide the player.

For one thing, every time you see a single banana, you know its a safe route. This is the first time you've gotten Engarde, they want you to hold A to you his special move and smash into that box revealing a secret. If a banana is over what looks to be a bottomless pit, you can jump in knowing full well it won't kill you. When the game's momentum naturally pushes you in one direction, or you find a little secret...dig deeper. Isn't there something suspicious about that area, why would it be there? Push a little further in the other direction, and there's that DK coin!

Here's one of my favorites. This is near the beginning of a new level, and since this is a 2D platformer, you natural inclination is to run to the right. But as soon as you star the level, you hear the familar buzzing of the Zinger enemies. Well...they aren't here on the right? Its because they're actually on the left! You have to use the "beginning of the level DK Barrel" to get past them. Look at the way Rare tries to guide the players with the banana trail, teaching them a higher level movement mechanic which is is rolling off an edge and then jumping at the last second to cover more ground. You then have to careful jump(or use your post-hit invinciblity) to get to the treasure chest in the back, which can only be opened by smashing it against the four zingers, to unlock the DK Coin.

This is the only DK Coin hidden at the left side of the screen, but its the kind of thing that keeps you on your toes. Hell, one of them is actually hidden inside a bonus room. A secret within a secret.

Best thing of all, you wanna click all 40 of these because fuck Cranky Kong. Every time you check on your DK Coin collection status, Cranky Kong talks about what a fuckin joke of a video game hero you are. Look at Sonic and and Earthworm Jim over there with the trash! That's you if you can't even manage 30 of them!

CrankysVideoGameHeroes.png

You get all 40, Cranky Kong finally acknowledges you as a true hero, and goddamnit it feels good.
Just quoting this because it's an excellent post and I don't want it to be lost in the shuffle.

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice Earthworm Jim's raygun on the Hall of Fame screen.

I just won a copy of Donkey Kong LAND 2 on eBay! Woohoo. I know it's a different game, but I already have the SNES games. I only ever beat the first DKL, never played 2 or 3, so want to rectify that.

Marow

Some DK Coins were a pain in the butt to the point of being random, but otherwise? It's a fantastic game and held up just as well when I replayed it not too long ago (much like the rest of the trilogy).

In a perfect world Retro would create a third Donkey Kong Country game and re-introduce the Kremlings alongside with a slightly moodier setting found in the older games (DKC2 in particular). Tropical Freeze had some levels like these - and judging by the concept art more were planned - and they were great.

entremet

I just won a copy of Donkey Kong LAND 2 on eBay! Woohoo. I know it's a different game, but I already have the SNES games. I only ever beat the first DKL, never played 2 or 3, so want to rectify that.

Different games? I always thought those games were just ports of the SNES games.

So they're original, using the same assets, albeit in less capable hardware?

Top Bottom