• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 2 turns 20

daTRUballin

You misunderstand me my fellow Rare fan. I meant that I know several people who aren't much into DKC and they have only played 1.

Don't get me wrong, I love the first game, it's an absolute classic that blew everyone away at the time, but like many others in this thread I also think the sequels improved upon it in almost every way.

Yeah. Like I said, I'm not saying DKC1 is better than the others. I just feel like some people are being a bit unfair to the game.

And how do you know I'm a Rare fan? I'm just curious. Did you see my Rare related threads or something? :p

Neiteio

Crocodile Isle is such a fantastic location. Just dripping with detail... Oozing with atmosphere.

I want to explore it in full 3D. Maybe the next BioShock can be set there??

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Crocodile Isle is such a fantastic location. Just dripping with detail... Oozing with atmosphere.

I want to explore it in full 3D. Maybe the next BioShock can be set there??
"Would you kindly?"

*Banjo Kazooie noises*

zero86r

Great OP, I fucking loved DKC2 back in the day it's my number one platformer ever without doubt. I must go trawl ebay for a copy!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
0ljOxjJ.jpg

Just noticed the cave world to the right. Maybe the reason the final game ended up so mishmashed is because some worlds were removed from the concept stages and they still had individual stages completed or in progress from this idea phase and put them in other random worlds.

SolVanderlyn

Dad

Is there a harder level in the series than Animal Antics? It's not even that bad outside the one section with Sqwaks which is just absoutely brutal. Maybe the Golden Temple level in Returns?

poodaddy

First platformer I ever completed 100% on, and then did it again a few years later, and then did it again on Wii U when it hit the e shop. Still probably my favorite traditional platformer of all time, and the music dude. I want David Wise to live with me so that he can provide live music whenever it's coitus time with the missus. It'll make my prospective children more intelligent and powerful.

Just noticed the cave world to the right. Maybe the reason the final game ended up so mishmashed is because some worlds were removed from the concept stages and they still had individual stages completed or in progress from this idea phase and put them in other random worlds.

For some reason I've always had a huge affinity for world maps. Used to draw them all the time despite my...questionable artistic talents lol. Warms my heart to see an official prototype of Crocodile Isle drawn out like this.

So as I understand it, the original plan was:

1. Pirate Ship
2. Caverns
3. Swamp
4. Carnival
5. Wasteland
6. Haunted Forest
7. Kroc Heads
8. Castle
9. Airship

Trading a cavern theme for a volcano was the right move imo - we already got the former in DKC1. Wasteland was axed, though it probably would have been somewhat similar to Gloomy Gulch anyway. The Kroc heads likely became the Lost World (the drawing says each of them would have a different theme). I wonder if there was ever more than one regular level planned for the airship world?

Crayolan

Played the entire SNES trilogy as soon as they arrived on Wii U VC. I definitely enjoyed 1 and 3, but 2 blew me away. Pretty much everything was improved upon in the sequel--level design, music, difficulty, setting, bosses, collectables, and even the main duo, I loved all the improvements they made.

K Rool Duel in specific has to be my favorite boss fight in a 2D platformer ever, it took me so many goddamn attempts to pull off but I loved every second of it. Enjoyed the game so much I went ahead and collected all the Kremling Coins since they actually served a purpose and I wanted to play every I could (but fuck Animal Antics).

DKC2 is an easy contender for best 2D platformer of all time; at the very least it's in my top 3.

deleted

I hadn't played this for maybe 15 years when I started it a few years back. It was way harder then I remembered!

An absolute masterpiece and I hope someday, Nintendo will go back to the Kremlings and the DKC style, especially 2.

This fucking game. What a masterpiece. Played it on SNES, PC, and on a Blackberry. The levels are absolutely perfect. My favorite SNES game by a mile. Still can't fathom how good this game holds up.
And on a Blackberry? Damn. Was it one of the phones with the qwerty keyboard?

I salute you, sir.

Kiddy on Rattly, too.
Not that anybody cares about Kiddy
Seriously if there's one thing I hate about DKC3 it was Kiddy. Such a horrible and boring character. DK should've been Dixie's sidekick or hell, have all three playable!

That's the one thing I'd change about DKC3 if I could.

Arguable? You can argue all you want but you'll loose this one. Animal Antics is in its own tier of difficulty, man. Fucking Lightning Lookout isn't even the hardest level in DKC3, let alone in the same vicinity of Animal Antics.

Fucking Lightning Lookout is the level I found hardest in DKC3, from memory. I'd be interested to know which ones you thought were tougher.

Fucking Lightning Lookout is the level I found hardest in DKC3, from memory. I'd be interested to know which ones you thought were tougher.
From DKC2 off the top of my head many come to mind: Toxic Tower, Bramble Scramble, the last level before Kaptain K Rool where you race his parrot, almost any level from the Lost World (especially Animal fucking Antics).

Hell, I had more trouble beating the mine cart level on the second goddamn area of DKC1 than Lightning Lookout!

As for DKC3 I don't have as fresh in my mind but right now comes to mind the mountain level where you have to climb a burning rope. That shit was more intense than Lightning pansy Lookout, Im sorry.

EDIT: just remembered another tough as nails DKC3 level: the sewer in the KAOS area where the controls flip when you jump into the murky water. I hated that level. Also tougher than Lightning Lookout!

From DKC2 off the top of my head many come to mind: Toxic Tower, Bramble Scramble, the last level before Kaptain K Rool where you race his parrot, almost any level from the Lost World (especially Animal fucking Antics).

Hell, I had more trouble beating the mine cart level on the second goddamn area of DKC1 than Lightning Lookout!

As for DKC3 I don't have as fresh in my mind but right now comes to mind the mountain level where you have to climb a burning rope. That shit was more intense than Lightning pansy Lookout, Im sorry.

there was that one level where your controls are reversed

edit - welp

EDIT: just remembered another tough as nails DKC3 level: the sewer in the KAOS area where the controls flip when you jump into the murky water. I hated that level.

Never had trouble with Toxic Tower personally, just seemed like a matter of careful pacing. Ditto the sewer level, that was an anticlimax for me given how left/right reversal basically ain't no thang.

I don't remember finding Animal Antics all that tough. Squawks bit with the wind was annoying but it's OK if you just take it slow.

Never had trouble with Toxic Tower personally, just seemed like a matter of careful pacing. Ditto the sewer level, that was an anticlimax for me given how left/right reversal basically ain't no thang.

I don't remember finding Animal Antics all that tough. Squawks bit with the wind was annoying but it's OK if you just take it slow.
Lightning Lookout is no problem as long as you keep moving and don't fuck around too long in a single spot. Every lightning tells you where it's going to land in advance.

The Squaks sequence in DKC2 is in it by itself the toughest sequence in the whole trilogy. Add to that other parts that are also no slouch and you have the toughest level in all three games. And also one of the longest.

ItIsOkBro

IMO, the hardest levels in the series are in DKC3's lost world: either Rocket Run or Stampede Sprint (the one with the elephant).

Lightning Lookout is more tricky than hard because even though you're running sometimes the lightning strikes at where you're going to be if you continue running.

I figure Lightning Lookout has more bark than bite, it's more of a case where if you just keep your cool the gimmick isn't nearly as threatening as it looks.
Poisonous Pipeline is just a standard water level with inverted controls, quite the anticlimax.
Of the last three stages leading up to Castle KAOs Koindozer Klamber can be the toughest one if you're lacking Dixie, one bump can end Kiddy Kong's day.
Really it's hard to place what DKC3 stages were the toughest since it was so long ago since I first played them, so for now I'll just say the back to back Buzzer Barrage and Kong-Fused Cliffs was one sudden difficulty spike on the first run, freakin' Kopter just zipping in out of nowhere in both stages.
I also remember finding Swoopy Salvo pretty tough when I first unlocked it, really though as far as Squawks goes it's no Screech's Sprint.

DKCR has some rather painful K stages, I'd sooner play Animal Antics again than 6-K Perilous Passage.

I had Donkey Kong Country 1 and 3 for the SNES, but I only ever rented 2, which I enjoyed, but I remember being creeped out by the dark fantasy motif. Anyway, I finally got 2 on the Virtual Console earlier this year when Nintendo was doing its Knockout Sale for Tropical Freeze, and I loved it (I mean 2, but I loved TF as well.)

The only substantial complaint I have about it was the decision to require coins to save when your coin counter would just reset whenever you started the game. This was mostly just a nuisance because I like to save after everything I do, but it was little rough toward the endgame. Fortunately, save states are a thing on VC.

This game (DKC3 as well for that matter) is so much better than the Retro series it's not funny. Getting the collectibles is actually fun and not a chore. Better physics and game isn't as stupidly difficult so it's more fun. The biggest difference however is the awesome Rare humour. All the Kongs and villains have so much personality and charm. Retro just didn't get it and completely missed the mark. They literally had Crank Kong write a note saying "-love Cranky". *facepalm*

Altazor

You go from lava world to swamp world to circus land all in a row (maybe not in that order).

it's that exact same order ;)

Bonus: Yes, this soundtrack is indeed
ibagtazwmkk2cge6jz1.png
and it is in fact probably the source of his most famous work.

Here's some covers by Burning Idol. Hot Head Bop, Mining Melancholy, and Stickerbrush Symphony

1- I mean, the guy gave us Aquatic Ambiance and Stickerbush Symphony. Even if he hadn't done anything else, that'd be enough for us to love him.

2- It's a shame that the Burning Idol dudes aren't making any more covers ;__; (I still love Hot-Head Bop the most)

RAIDEN1

This was the series, well especially the first DKC, that was saying to the public forget about the upcoming 32 bit machines, experience that level of visual quality now, on your SNES! Hell even the Megadrive from what I can think of didn't have anything impressive as DKC...from a visual standpoint...then again Toy Story was quite a good close example...

Oh I also thought I'd say thanks for the kind words some have expressed in this thread, not bad for something I whipped up on a whim on a lazy Sunday.

Man, I was going to make this exact post earlier.

Not sure why I didn't, probably didn't contain enough obligatory filler text for my posts.

Oh I also thought I'd say thanks for the kind words some have expressed in this thread, not bad for something I whipped up on a whim on a lazy Sunday.

It's a killer OT breh. DKC2 hits so many perfect notes, and it's tough to imagine how Rare could have done better with a platformer in 1995. One of the few games where I can always go for 100% without feeling intimidated or that my time is being wasted.

Without naming names, there's a running joke between me and some people that I read the David Sirlin DKC2 article every few days, and while that might be a bit of an exaggeration I really do have that much respect for the collectables in this game. It's what the game needed to stand out from the crowd and remain relevant in the future, where improved tech has led to a much greater dynamism in level design without sacrificing visual quality (I'm looking at you, DKCR/TF).

GOAT SNES platformer, arguable GOAT SNES game (I'll be fucked if I come to a conclusion between this and Super Metroid). Soundtrack is an ethereal whirlwind (I don't know what that implies, but it sounds...right). Rare did good.

Neiteio

It's a killer OT breh. DKC2 hits so many perfect notes, and it's tough to imagine how Rare could have done better with a platformer in 1995. One of the few games where I can always go for 100% without feeling intimidated or that my time is being wasted.

Without naming names, there's a running joke between me and some people that I read the David Sirlin DKC2 article every few days, and while that might be a bit of an exaggeration I really do have that much respect for the collectables in this game. It's what the game needed to stand out from the crowd and remain relevant in the future, where improved tech has led to a much greater dynamism in level design without sacrificing visual quality (I'm looking at you, DKCR/TF).

GOAT SNES platformer, arguable GOAT SNES game (I'll be fucked if I come to a conclusion between this and Super Metroid). Soundtrack is an ethereal whirlwind (I don't know what that implies, but it sounds...right). Rare did good.
Wow, just read that article you linked. It was great. :)

And DKC2 is my GOAT SNES game.

Super Metroid didn't click with me. Maybe someday!

Altazor

loved that article, thanks for sharing!

CT is GOAT SNES game, but that's only because its GOAT game period.

2nd place isn't bad tho. Top 10 favorite game of all-time still...replay it every year.

gdt

I played the unholy fuck out of this trilogy as a kid.

I should really pick these up on Wii U VC. Take some dust off.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've seen people call him 'Captain' K. Rool as well.
He's King K Rool in DKC where he's the king of the Kremlings.
Captain K Rool in DKC2 where he and the Kremlings have become pirates.
Dr K Rool in DKC3 where he's a mad scientist living in a castle

Ironically when he's a captain he flies in a helicopter. But when he's king he has a ship.

daTRUballin

He's King K Rool in DKC where he's the king of the Kremlings.
Captain K Rool in DKC2 where he and the Kremlings have become pirates.
Dr K Rool in DKC3 where he's a mad scientist living in a castle

Ironically when he's a captain he flies in a helicopter. But when he's king he has a ship.

Yeah! I've always thought that was weird too.

Logically, Captain K Rool would be on the ship, Baron K Roolenstein would be on the helicopter/plane thing, and King K Rool would be in the castle. :p

This sometimes makes me wonder if Rare planned out the whole trilogy beforehand or something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah! I've always thought that was weird too.

Logically, Captain K Rool would be on the ship, Baron K Roolenstein would be on the helicopter/plane thing, and King K Rool would be in the castle. :p

This sometimes makes me wonder if Rare planned out the whole trilogy beforehand or something.
Baron! That's his name. I couldn't remember if it was Doctor or Professor. I guess Baron makes sense too.

And you're right. They're all (He's) in the wrong final battle locations!

DKC2 had a castle too though. It just wasn't the final location.

Top Bottom