• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

agrajag

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I'm going to give Retro a pass here because the cart stages are very much in the mould of the original games. Just like in Returns, one fuck up in the originals
and you were gone. They were true to the SNES games and it's hard to fault them for that. If they made them too easy, people would complain that they're not like the originals. If they make them too hard, people would complain that it's dated game design.

And they introduced them better in this game. Minecart Carnage was in the first, what, eight levels of the original? And it was hard as balls the first few times through. Everyone missed that jump where the track escalates. Not to mention the kremlings at the end heading towards you. In Returns the first cart stage is much more managable, the only difficult part of the level are the fire enemies, as they're one-hit kills, but they are still easy to avoid.

I could be wrong, but if you had both monkeys in the originals, you just lose one monkey if you get hit. If you fall to your death, then you lose both of them, of course.

daakusedo

The last mine cart level I did was from the cliff.
And having the past games in mind, they clearly easier.
There's no vicious obstacles like the crashed wagons in the first mine level from country and the camera is far from you, so more time to see.

Or maybe that's just me but for example I do the minecart cliff level with 2 lives and in the world 4 it could get to 4-5 lives.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I like this game, but there are some problems.

The levels are creative, but rely too much on one-use platform and the there are too many jumps that don't quite match DK's abilities.

Controls-wise, I thought that using an analog stick and shaking-to-roll might be a little cumbersome, but I haven't had a problem with those. My biggest problem has been with timing the high bounces; first I should be able to simply hold down the jump button to get them, not repress the jump button; second, the timing for bouncing off of a enemy is different from the timing for bouncing off of a tire, which is just plain stupid.

This game is hard, but damn do they offer 1-ups left and right.

jarosh

how awesome is the sound design in this game, how satisfying the low-frequency THUMP when you jump on an enemy, how glorious the various sounds of all the things you collect! and how lovely and charming are the enemies' animations, how great the art, how gorgeous looking is the game as a whole!

but what i love the most are the little things, the attention to detail... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAT7ZzPrEw

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that's so cool. reminds me of playing Kirby's Epic Yarn and realising that the fabric was slowly bending as i walked around it. It's so nice to have two Nintendo platformers out at the same time that are so drastically different yet both still have that awesome attention to detail.

KevinCow

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yeah, but does anyone else find it odd that there's no idle animation? Unless I somehow missed it.

Apparently DK has an idle animation where he pulls out a DS and starts playing it. I haven't seen it though.

AniHawk said:
Anyway, my final thoughts here.

tl;dr: reaches a high point late in the game, but other issues set it back. It's not a bad game, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Haha, you have got to be kidding me. :lol

Sorry, but I'll never be about to take you seriously again.

Dr.Hadji said:
You must be outside your mind. Its not even close. Galaxy regularly travels across genres in play styles. Galaxy's creativeness can't even be bound my its own genre. Can't say the same for DKCR.

Please. Not only does the game feature a huge variety of mechanics, but there are a fantastic number of varied approaches to each and every one of them. It's why the game constantly feels fresh, because it uses established mechanics in new and wacky ways around every corner. Not to mention how utterly interactive and dynamic the environments are, both foreground and background.

The Galaxy games may transcend genres more, if that's important to you, but as far as pure platforming variety goes DKCR is certainly up there with the Galaxy games and YI.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yeah, but does anyone else find it odd that there's no idle animation? Unless I somehow missed it.

You definitely missed it. Leave DK Idle and he will whip out a DS, play it for a bit and then chuck it into the background.

Just finished the Cliff area. Personally I didn't find it quite as good as the Forest. The first few stages actually struck me as slightly ugly, the colour tone and texturing was a bit plain in contrast to the beautiful lighting and detail in the Forest. I still really enjoyed the Cliff though, particularly in the last few stages where they started to really to play with vertical design as well as create some pretty awe-inspiring visual scenarios. The boss rehash was a bit disappointing, though thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as it was in the original game. I really liked the music as well, not just the remix of Northern Hemisphere but also the original theme as well (and the variation on it). Along with Blast Mast (or Mast Blast, I forget) and Tidal Terror, there have been quite a few good original songs thus far. The samples are underwhelming at times but the compositions remain consistently good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
unless the last boss is a rehash, it is the only rehash in the game.

Good lord that last boss took 30 lives from me. Luckily I had about 60 saved up. Great game and very happy to see some new gameplay open up after the credits roll.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm conflicted

I'm gonna go buy a new game tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should get this of NSMB Wii. I've played NSMBW on a rental and enjoyed it, so it's a safe choice, but I still need this game. I'm just not sure which to get first.

robox

i wussed out at the last boss and viewed the super play demo.
then i found out i was only 1 hit away from beating it. i was expecting
a whole another grueling round, without diddy backup, to fight, 'cos boss fights always comes in three's
. what in the hell.. could take it comfortably after that as it was so close within grasp.

udivision said:
Pay attention to the green frogs... You may see something you haven't seen.

(Only the ones that jump straight up and land.)

This was pretty cool, it took me until the sunset level to realise it.

jarosh said:
how awesome is the sound design in this game, how satisfying the low-frequency THUMP when you jump on an enemy, how glorious the various sounds of all the things you collect! and how lovely and charming are the enemies' animations, how great the art, how gorgeous looking is the game as a whole!

but what i love the most are the little things, the attention to detail... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAT7ZzPrEw

this is just insane.
Retro+Nintendo=awesomeness

I hope Nintendo decides to do more Retro games

Wow, Platform Panic is an awesome level. My first K level and I think it definitely nailed the DKC2 vibe from the Lost World levels were you eventually figure out the rhythm of the level and it becomes a piece of cake
exaggeration
. Looking forward to playing the rest of them.

toasty_T said:
Wow, Platform Panic is an awesome level. My first K level and I think it definitely nailed the DKC2 vibe from the Lost World levels were you eventually figure out the rhythm of the level and it becomes a piece of cake
exaggeration
. Looking forward to playing the rest of them.

Platform Panic is awesome.

I just finished 6-K. It was an...interesting experience. The first few times I was like "Retro you gotta be shitting me" but once it clicks, it clicks. It's just funny how overwhelming it initially is after the halfway point. One of those "I'll never be able to pull this off" moments that make it feel so good when you do.

Chuckie

udivision said:
Pay attention to the green frogs... You may see something you haven't seen.

(Only the ones that jump straight up and land.)

I love those frogs so now I am wondering what I missed. Do you just have to wait for a while?

Tence said:
I love those frogs so now I am wondering what I missed. Do you just have to wait for a while?

It's just a small (but neat) detail. You don't have to wait at all. Just try to figure out why they jump up.

Chuckie

_Alkaline_ said:
It's just a small (but neat) detail. You don't have to wait at all. Just try to figure out why they jump up.

Oh wait....do you mean
the tiny fly it seems to chase

Chuckie

_Alkaline_ said:
Yep, that's it. Just a nice little detail to seperate them from generic hopping frog enemy.

Yeah that's awesome.

The first jump on a frog made me laugh hard anyway :lol I love all those animals.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Yoshi's Island was released in 1994. Sorry Ami.

And as much as I love Meat Boy, DKCR is better.

Super Meat Boy is easily on par with Yoshi's Island (and Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time) and infinitely better than DKCR. See, Super Meat Boy is about platforming. There's no mine fuckin' cart worlds or diversionary rocket barrel levels or some retarded riding on a rhino or some shit. Or endless repeat banana bonus rooms for puzzle pieces. Or stopping to blow fucking dandelions. Or fucking awkwardly stomping the ground so you can pop open a cactus or some shit. It's platforming.. straight up. With some of the best platforming physics/momentum/controls in the business. Where it matters, SMB wins. And what matters in platforming is ultra precise controls with no lag, no input foibles based around waggle, no literal trial-and-error like DKCR so often is.

You said SMB is trial-and-error, but there is no trial-and-error in the game. Not even once. In fact, it pretty much betrays your intent since it says you don't know what trial and error means. In SMB, you always know exactly how to get to the end. You always know exactly what your obstacles are. You always know exactly how fucking brutal it's going to be. It's not like DKCR where you're riding a mine cart and fuck some bomb blows up the track and you die because you didn't memorize that part or the precise moment when you should launch yourself to make another track. No, in Super Meat Boy the only thing between you and the goal is your skills. And the more you improve, the further you get. No controls stand in your way, no diversionary crap fills the rims, no wasted levels. Even bosses are platforming challenges.

DKCR has one thing over meatboy, obviously, and that's a bigger budget and there's more shit going on in the background and such. Like, if you need your platformers to constantly be throwing, um, bugs at you and like collapsing rolling tracks then you'll prefer it to SMB.

AniHawk said:
I died no less than 60 times on Hot Rocket. Worst level in the game.

:lol ... I feel your pain. Worst level by far for me is the one where you have to run from the insects. Getting KONG was a pain in the ass.

On a side note, this game has totally resurrected my love for platform games. Even went back to SMG2 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit more now. Part of enjoying a game is being in the right mood for it.

_Alkaline_ said:
I just finished 6-K. It was an...interesting experience. The first few times I was like "Retro you gotta be shitting me" but once it clicks, it clicks. It's just funny how overwhelming it initially is after the halfway point. One of those "I'll never be able to pull this off" moments that make it feel so good when you do.

The ending of 6K is INSANE. Finally finishing it makes you feel pretty godlike! :D And damn those blue bugs!
All the KONG stages are freaking awesome.

Amir0x said:
Super Meat Boy is easily on par with Yoshi's Island (and Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time) and infinitely better than DKCR. See, Super Meat Boy is about platforming. There's no mine fuckin' cart worlds or diversionary rocket barrel levels or some retarded riding on a rhino or some shit. Or endless repeat banana bonus rooms for puzzle pieces. Or stopping to blow fucking dandelions. Or fucking awkwardly stomping the ground so you can pop open a cactus or some shit. It's platforming.. straight up. With some of the best platforming physics/momentum/controls in the business. Where it matters, SMB wins. And what matters in platforming is ultra precise controls with no lag, no input foibles based around waggle, no literal trial-and-error like DKCR so often is.

You said SMB is trial-and-error, but there is no trial-and-error in the game. Not even once. In fact, it pretty much betrays your intent since it says you don't know what trial and error means. In SMB, you always know exactly how to get to the end. You always know exactly what your obstacles are. You always know exactly how fucking brutal it's going to be. It's not like DKCR where you're riding a mine cart and fuck some bomb blows up the track and you die because you didn't memorize that part or the precise moment when you should launch yourself to make another track. No, in Super Meat Boy the only thing between you and the goal is your skills. And the more you improve, the further you get. No controls stand in your way, no diversionary crap fills the rims, no wasted levels. Even bosses are platforming challenges.

DKCR has one thing over meatboy, obviously, and that's a bigger budget and there's more shit going on in the background and such. Like, if you need your platformers to constantly be throwing, um, bugs at you and like collapsing rolling tracks then you'll prefer it to SMB.

Ugh, I can't decide what's worse....this post or AniHawk’s ridiculous review. Just....ugh....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is 6K the one with the rising lava? I think that's the only one I unlocked and good god it was tough. I never finished. I had two or three bugs on me toward the end, so I must have been close!

fabprems

Tricky I Shadow said:
Ugh, I can't decide what's worse....this post or AniHawk’s ridiculous review. Just....ugh....
Or the fact that in every Wii thread, even if it's a good game, the thread always end up being in rants about X or Y or whatever, instead of people enjoying the game they bought...

I mean, look at the GT5 thread(s), people are really enjoying what the game has to offer even if the game has problems...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sup cunts, my review is up.

I dont agree with Ani or Ami in the slightest (except about SMB's amazingness), but whatever. Haters gonna hate.

Mael

Amir0x said:

So I get it you don't like the DKC's school of design, and seriously YI is closer to DKC than classic Mario.
Even the fucking score mechanic is pushing for that type of gameplay.
I also get that you freaking hate the wiimote :lol

agrajag

Banned
I don't know about all that trial and error stuff. The game gives you enough time to react to whatever it throws at you. My issue was mainly with fighting the controls/physics.

Just wanted to throw in my agreement with whoever said this is on par with the Galaxy games in terms of creativity. I'm constantly astounded by new mechanics and ideas when I start a new level.

Super Meat Boy is indeed fucking awesome, but how can anyone say with a straight face that it doesn't involve trial and error? Every other level throws one or more obstacles at you which you can't see coming and have no chance of avoiding the first time you encounter them.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Amir0x said:

Completely disagree on no trial-and-error gameplay in Super Meat Boy. Every single level with a portal requires memorization on which portal you'll be coming out of. Most levels with a vertical conveyor belt and the homing enemies that split on collision. A couple of the bosses, require full memorization of their attack patterns. In the later levels (cotton alley) things come at you so quickly that you basically need to have most of the level memorized to not die as it becomes very difficult to look more than a step ahead due to the precision required. Maybe I'm just horrible at the game (completed 84% of it) but I found there to be a equal amount of memorization required in Super Meat Boy than DKCR. Maybe you disagree because in most SMB levels you can stop at a safe spot and completely memorize the level before your first try. And you continued to play the same level or and over before you got an A+.

I will agree that DKCR requires a some memorization in the Rocket Barrel levels (especially Hot Rocket), however the mine cart levels give you more than enough reaction time to know what's coming and how to react. All of the crumbling platforms on Cliff have a distinct base as well that lets you know if they will crumble.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, cant say I agree with people complaining about DKCR requiring too much memorisation. Its a hollow complaint that, in my opinion, points to a lack of skill in either mastering the controls or the weight of DK.

There were a couple of levels that had cheap deaths, mostly rocket barrel related, but every other level could be very, very easily completed without having to 'memorise' how the level progresses. Its not like the game threw cheap shit at you that you couldn't avoid.

Even the more difficult stages were still beatable without memorisation.

I really feel, in this instance, saying DKCR requires "too much memorisation" or the like is a cheap shot at the difficulty.

And while I think SMB is a superior 'pure' platformer, in that the game is about platforming in its most distilled form, there is no fucking way it was completely free of memorisation. At the very least, there were a couple of boss fights hinged entirely on memorising attack patterns.

KrawlMan

EatChildren said:
Yeah, cant say I agree with people complaining about DKCR requiring too much memorisation. Its a hollow complaint that, in my opinion, points to a lack of skill in either mastering the controls or the weight of DK.

There were a couple of levels that had cheap deaths, mostly rocket barrel related, but every other level could be very, very easily completed without having to 'memorise' how the level progresses. Its not like the game threw cheap shit at you that you couldn't avoid.

Even the more difficult stages were still beatable without memorisation.

I really feel, in this instance, saying DKCR requires "too much memorisation" or the like is a cheap shot at the difficulty.

And while I think SMB is a superior 'pure' platformer, in that the game is about platforming in its most distilled form, there is no fucking way it was completely free of memorisation. At the very least, there were a couple of boss fights hinged entirely on memorising attack patterns.

Thank you so much for saying this. I'm feeling exactly the same way. Perfect example being 7-K. I died a few times in the middle from my own mistake over and over...and completed the last 1/3 of the level without retrying. Not every level pans out like that, but if I die it's not "the game's fault" as I seem to be hearing, it's mine. There are plenty of times that I was forced to memorize what was coming ahead of me, but it was because my reaction time just wasn't up to snuff :p.

ccbfan

Just got CC control support cheat added using homebrew (which the help of a gaffer.) and the game is freakin so much better with CC support (R as roll).

I even started a whole new save file (old one was at world 3) because it would be a complete disservice to worlds 1 and 2 to not enjoy them with good controls.

Mael

ccbfan said:
Just got CC control support cheat added using homebrew (which the help of a gaffer.) and the game is freakin so much better with CC support (R as roll).

I even started a whole new save file (old one was at world 3) because it would be a complete disservice to worlds 1 and 2 to not enjoy them with good controls.

:lol :lol
What would be awesome would be if you did the same for any online fps
the more inept targets the better.
It's not R, it's Y that should be used for rolling

Top Bottom