• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mael said:
:lol :lol
What would be awesome would be if you did the same for any online fps
the more inept targets the better.
It's not R, it's Y that should be used for rolling

using R means not taking your thumb off the jump button. so the advantage of waggle + the precision of a button

Mael

amtentori said:
using R means not taking your thumb off the jump button. so the advantage of waggle + the precision of a button

a button that is ....analogic to begin with...
If you don't do that to get the classic feeling of the original DKC there's really no point in doing that.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Amir0x said:
You said SMB is trial-and-error, but there is no trial-and-error in the game. Not even once.

Eh, I haven't played through the entire game -- got mad at the memorization required at the level three or four boss -- but I'm fairly sure that one of the first bonus levels could easily be described as trial and error. You gotta drop down from a ledge onto a small platform and you can't see anything below. It's pretty much the definition of trial-and-error, no? Actually, I'm quite sure that there's a lot of trial-and-error type levels in Super Meat Boy.

TheExodu5

Banned
itsinmyveins said:
Eh, I haven't played through the entire game -- got mad at the memorization required at the level three or four boss -- but I'm fairly sure that one of the first bonus levels could easily be described as trial and error. You gotta drop down from a ledge onto a small platform and you can't see anything below. It's pretty much the definition of trial-and-error, no? Actually, I'm quite sure that there's a lot of trial-and-error type levels in Super Meat Boy.

You can wall jump on your way down. Not trial and error whatsoever.

Only the world 4 boss stands out as being trial and error.

TheExodu5

Banned
ccbfan said:
Just got CC control support cheat added using homebrew (which the help of a gaffer.) and the game is freakin so much better with CC support (R as roll).

I even started a whole new save file (old one was at world 3) because it would be a complete disservice to worlds 1 and 2 to not enjoy them with good controls.

Holy shit how how how how how
!?!?!?!?!?!?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
TheExodu5 said:
You can wall jump on your way down. Not trial and error whatsoever.

Only the world 4 boss stands out as being trial and error.

Ah, my bad then. I'm fairly sure that there are other areas that are next to impossible to finish without having played and died a couple of times though -- learning the patterns and how to jump and etc.

The boss I'm talking about is the lava one. EDIT: The one slamming its head and fists on the ground all the time.

AniHawk

SMB definitely required a lot of memorization. There were some gimmicks in levels that were just plain not fun too, and lastly, there was one boss fight in particular that killed me that had nothing to do with platforming skills (he slammed his head down on the ground where I was standing when I had no way to know he was going to do that and I had no way to react in time).

It's a great game, but it's far from perfect. And to be fair to DKCR, you don't have to stop to blow on anything in the game... ever, I don't think. Any time I did that, it was usually for a puzzle piece, and those only unlock artwork. Same goes for the extra banana rooms. They weren't necessary for 100% game completion. All the KONG pieces required platforming, sometimes a roll, which needed the shake first. Sorry, Ami, but that reads like someone who very clearly didn't play the game very long, especially since your hate does not include rocket levels or some of the actual design problems related to the actual platforming (you're dead-on about the mine carts though).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AniHawk said:
And to be fair to DKCR, you don't have to stop to blow on anything in the game... ever, I don't think.

From memory, there's only once, at the very end of one of the levels where you blow the leaves off the ground.

Dr.Hadji

EatChildren said:
From memory, there's only once, at the very end of one of the levels where you blow the leaves off the ground.

You also have to blow in the ear of that Tiki statue to open its mouth to get through.

ccbfan said:
Just got CC control support cheat added using homebrew (which the help of a gaffer.) and the game is freakin so much better with CC support (R as roll).

I even started a whole new save file (old one was at world 3) because it would be a complete disservice to worlds 1 and 2 to not enjoy them with good controls.

I really need to buy a classic controller...

jarosh

those caged flying bird tikis with platforms attached to them :lol

it's like retro read my complaint about the nonsensical floating spikey wheels in the original dkc :p i really dig how they tried to make sense of everything in such a fundamentally silly universe. and that's just one example. they created such a coherent and organic world where seemingly every gimmick, obstacle and set piece has a reason to exist.

Nessus

EatChildren said:
And while I think SMB is a superior 'pure' platformer, in that the game is about platforming in its most distilled form, there is no fucking way it was completely free of memorisation. At the very least, there were a couple of boss fights hinged entirely on memorising attack patterns.

I'd go even further, the portal levels in Hell for example, you had no idea where they connected until going through them, and some required upward momentum, some required downward, sideways, etc.

The only way you'd beat those levels your first try is by pure luck by guessing.

jarosh

KevinCow said:
They still have nonsensical floating spikey wheels though, so...
:eek: i must have not come across them yet. after world 5? that's where i am right now.

that said, world 4 was by far the worst one so far and sadly drags down the game as a whole. those mine cart levels... ugh. why, retro, why!

Kard8p3

jarosh said:
:eek: i must have not come across them yet. after world 5? that's where i am right now.

that said, world 4 was by far the worst one so far and sadly drags down the game as a whole. those mine cart levels... ugh. why, retro, why!

World 4 was one of my favorites. Love the mine cart levels.

I also adore world 4. I'd happily play a whole game of DKCR's mine cart levels. They're definitely tough, but not to the point where I wasn't having fun.

Lathentar said:
Completely disagree on no trial-and-error gameplay in Super Meat Boy. Every single level with a portal requires memorization on which portal you'll be coming out of. Most levels with a vertical conveyor belt and the homing enemies that split on collision. A couple of the bosses, require full memorization of their attack patterns. In the later levels (cotton alley) things come at you so quickly that you basically need to have most of the level memorized to not die as it becomes very difficult to look more than a step ahead due to the precision required. Maybe I'm just horrible at the game (completed 84% of it) but I found there to be a equal amount of memorization required in Super Meat Boy than DKCR. Maybe you disagree because in most SMB levels you can stop at a safe spot and completely memorize the level before your first try. And you continued to play the same level or and over before you got an A+.

I will agree that DKCR requires a some memorization in the Rocket Barrel levels (especially Hot Rocket), however the mine cart levels give you more than enough reaction time to know what's coming and how to react. All of the crumbling platforms on Cliff have a distinct base as well that lets you know if they will crumble.

Super Meat Boy does require memorisation, but because the levels are so short, respawning is instantaneous, and the whole game is based around the premise that you will die a lot, it's not really a problem. The only point where I feel it went overboard was the boss of Chapter 4, which required you to play a little further each attempt, memorising more of his attacks each time. Unsurprisingly, that was the low point of the whole game for me.

Super Meat Boy is similar to DKCR in so far as there are often very specific ways that you have to complete certain stages. There is often a "correct" way to approach certain obstacles, and anything else will result in death. A game like NSMBW gives players a lot more freedom. Triple jumps, backflips, desperation wallkicks, and multiple power-ups ensure that the player has a lot more options with respect to how they approach the game. In NSMBW, the player is constantly reacting to what's happening in the game as it is happening. In Super Meat Boy and DKCR, trial and error is a much bigger piece of the equation. Super Meat Boy is a very rigid game; as is DKCR. Personally, I prefer the NSMBW approach, but this doesn't mean that DKCR or Super Meat Boy are poorly designed games.

confuziz

Banned
just finished the game, with super guiding the red rocket stage (fuck it).

Game is great, but the difficulty level is too hard for me to unlock all the special stages =(

apana

Game is insanely awesome, at world 7 boss right now. It took me so long to realize what to do in order to get to the boss. Don't get all the complaints about control. Wii Remote+Nunchuk combo is very good.

Jasoco

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
Anybody else using sqawks to find the puzzle pieces? I used him once (felt like cheating) and decided to try and find the pieces myself
I only use him after running through once if I didn't find them all the first time because I didn't even see them. He helps me, I don't see it as cheating since A) he's part of the game and B) you gotta use the coins for something other than lives. You get so many of them.

L00P

Outtrigger888 said:
Anybody else using sqawks to find the puzzle pieces? I used him once (felt like cheating) and decided to try and find the pieces myself

Some puzzles are hidden well enough that I still had a bit of trouble finding them even with all the squawking. Plus you gotta spend those coins for something. I also used the other items because, well, why not?

agrajag

Banned
jarosh said:
those caged flying bird tikis with platforms attached to them :lol

it's like retro read my complaint about the nonsensical floating spikey wheels in the original dkc :p i really dig how they tried to make sense of everything in such a fundamentally silly universe. and that's just one example. they created such a coherent and organic world where seemingly every gimmick, obstacle and set piece has a reason to exist.

You think that's a legit complaint? How about all of nonsensical shit that's suspended in mid air for no reason in Mario games?

Amir0x

Banned
agrajag said:
You think that's a legit complaint? How about all of nonsensical shit that's suspended in mid air for no reason in Mario games?

damn jarosh you can't even be positive about DKC without people parsing your statements and looking for blood :lol

agrajag

Banned
Amir0x said:
damn jarosh you can't even be positive about DKC without people parsing your statements and looking for blood :lol

Yep, because all of my posts in this thread are nothing but glowing praise.

daakusedo

I finish it. Oh the timing when the last boss want to clap you.
I was so pumped by 8-2 like yes that's the things I want to confront, 4 lives used for this level. And the propulsing stones in the last level get me, when the rythm is slow like this, that's hard, more if you've done some time trials.
I do a little
9-1 and I was thinking of a entiere world, this isn't, right?

Sainsburys just sent me a 10 pound voucher code after cancelling my xbox 360 arcade order (it went live on their site for 65 quid when they meant to delete it) so Im getting this for 24.99! Bargain.

Gilby

daakusedo said:
I do a little
9-1 and I was thinking of a entiere world, this isn't, right?

Nope, just one level.

Regarding the final boss
You can just bounce on one of his hands until they clap together; makes that part much easier

totowhoa

Banned
DKCR Returns only required memorization for two or three boss fights and the mine cart and rocket barrel levels as far as I can think of (currently 180% done with the game). SMB (almost completed that and also beat the game) does have some a handful of levels I can think of that require some memorization too. DKCR has more than SMB, and it's a valid complaint for both games, but I'd hardly call it a game breaker. I think the levels are a lot of fun, so dying and remembering where/how I died didn't really bother me. SMB was the same way for me.

All in all, SMB had incredible platforming. I prefer DKCR more (which also has fantastic platforming) though, simply because of the production values, set pieces, music, the great way that levels unfold, etc. Both are great games, and I'm kind of surprised that people would hate on either, but to each their own.

Biggest complaint is that the level design is GREAT for speed running, but the camera doesn't pan enough for it since the roll jump is so quick. Therefore, if you want to speed run a level then you've gotta memorize it. That takes the fun of speed running out of the levels, which is sorely disappointing, as I LOVE speed running and SMB really hit a perfect sweet spot for me there. Speed running the original DKC games and classic mario games are much more fair since you can't accidentally go flying into unseen enemies/pits at high speed so easily.

totowhoa

Banned
Gilby said:
Nope, just one level.

And the worst level in the game IMO. :lol Reminds me of a bad Rayman level.
The whole last level really felt like it was tacked on towards the end of the development, along with the mirror-mode challenge. I love the challenge, but I was really looking forward to some kind of Lost World equivalent

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Having had my game delayed by a week due to a combination of snow and slow post I have now managed to sit down and enjoy this beast. Enjoying it a lot so far and I'm loving the title screen arrangement.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Seeing people still complain about the controls is just really..... baffling. I mean wow, you shake to roll. Is it responsive? Yes. Does it work 100% of the time? Yes. What's the problem?

Honestly anybody complaining about the motion control in the Super Mario Galaxys, NSMBWii, and DKCR isn't giving the controls the proper chance or is just trolling imo. It's what the system is all about, It's going to be in Nintendo games, and they are simple motions that absolutely work in these games. Get over it! So if you somehow don't like it (surely not because it isn't responsive but based upon preference) just be happy DKCR didn't have SMG birl-flying control for the Rocket barrel levels. :lol

And speaking of which, if you die 60 times on a certain-type level that most people aren't having that 60 lives-type trouble with, maybe you should stop complaining about how those levels suck and just realize you probably suck at those-type levels. But hey, nothing wrong with sucking. It took me probably thousands of lives to beat some of the bosses of Viewtiful Joe on Kiddie mode. Was it the game's problem? No. The bosses were pretty darn fair, just tough as hell. The problem was I suck at beat-em ups. Always will. But I realized that and still had a blast. :D

Overwhelming Trail-and-Error ? You people serious? Plenty of us made it through most of those rocket and mine levels on our first try! Retro gives you plenty of time to react to what is thrown at you. Not saying there isn't ANY trial-and-error involved in DKCR..... but there is no more then your average Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Bros., or even the recent NSMBWii.

jarosh

i think world 5 is my favorite one so far. god, does this game look gorgeous on my plasma. best looking wii game by far. retro has amazing artists.

ccbfan said:

I'm on world 7 and my wrist has had enough, though I adore the game. Gonna look into adding CC support; but does adding the homebrew channel make it so you can't update the wii's firmware or anything like that?

Skiesofwonder said:
So if you somehow don't like it (surely not because it isn't responsive but based upon preference) just be happy DKCR didn't have SMG birl-flying control for the Rocket barrel levels. :lol
I'm not sure anyone would be happy about that, since the rocket controls are horrible and are by far the worst thing about the game. Even a motion control hater should be able to recognize that they would've been a million times better if they had used tilt.

totowhoa

Banned
jarosh said:
i liked the rocket barrel sections so far and thought the controls worked great. i definitely prefer this over tilt.

Same, but the rocket barrel levels are kind of inconsistent. World 7 rocket level was my favorite by far. It's really fair and really fun, and you can tell what you need to do in advance, due to the way that the gears move and such. The first half of world 8's is just stupid (fireballs are WAY too hard to dodge), while the second half is absolutely awesome and it implements a really cool idea that, once again, is totally fair in that you can see well ahead of time what you must do, even if it's a little tricky. While I enjoy the rocket barrel levels, the design is really inconsistent as far as "fairness" goes. I still enjoyed each one, though, except for the bat one. I like it now, but it took me like 20 lives to figure out the rhythm for the final bat.

Kyleripman said:
I'm on world 7 and my wrist has had enough, though I adore the game. Gonna look into adding CC support; but does adding the homebrew channel make it so you can't update the wii's firmware or anything like that?

Im also interested in this.

I had to super guide the level with the wall of ants because I got sick of all the shaking to roll.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sklorenz said:
Same, but the rocket barrel levels are kind of inconsistent. World 7 rocket level was my favorite by far. It's really fair and really fun, and you can tell what you need to do in advance, due to the way that the gears move and such. The first half of world 8's is just stupid (fireballs are WAY too hard to dodge), while the second half is absolutely awesome and it implements a really cool idea that, once again, is totally fair in that you can see well ahead of time what you must do, even if it's a little tricky. While I enjoy the rocket barrel levels, the design is really inconsistent as far as "fairness" goes. I still enjoyed each one, though, except for the bat one. I like it now, but it took me like 20 lives to figure out the rhythm for the final bat.
mm, the second half of the World 8 rocket level is ace. I did it in one go, but damn it if I didn't feel like a savant.

There's only really one fireball that is hard to dodge, and its mainly an issue if you're going for Kong. In most other cases the paths are telegraphed (eg there is a wall that is clearly different from the rest that will break away in a second or two).

apana

Aren't the rocket barrel levels based off calculator games like fall up and sf cave? Or have they been done before that?

I decided to go ahead and just and add the homebrew channel so I could use the CC. It makes a hell of a difference for someone like me, who preferred the sideways control. I wouldn't go back.

1GabUp

I have just passed the seventh boss. It’s a really great, really special game. The little Mr. Game & Watch's cameo in the first stage of this world was a nice touch. Good job Retro!

Top Bottom