• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

daakusedo

I was thinking getting the shiny medal for minecart level will be easy but the first is fighting me. You have to do perfectly the part when you control DK.
I do 1:42 but it's 1:41 to get it. That's probably the part when you jump to enter the mine where I'm not perfect.

And having the first boss to stop is animation and go to phase 2 before he get to the right side was hard. But at least you see even the bosses are greatly designed.

Super Meat Boy is easily on par with Yoshi's Island (and Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time) and infinitely better than DKCR. See, Super Meat Boy is about platforming. There's no mine fuckin' cart worlds or diversionary rocket barrel levels or some retarded riding on a rhino or some shit. Or endless repeat banana bonus rooms for puzzle pieces. Or stopping to blow fucking dandelions. Or fucking awkwardly stomping the ground so you can pop open a cactus or some shit. It's platforming.. straight up. With some of the best platforming physics/momentum/controls in the business. Where it matters, SMB wins. And what matters in platforming is ultra precise controls with no lag, no input foibles based around waggle, no literal trial-and-error like DKCR so often is.

You said SMB is trial-and-error, but there is no trial-and-error in the game. Not even once. In fact, it pretty much betrays your intent since it says you don't know what trial and error means. In SMB, you always know exactly how to get to the end. You always know exactly what your obstacles are. You always know exactly how fucking brutal it's going to be. It's not like DKCR where you're riding a mine cart and fuck some bomb blows up the track and you die because you didn't memorize that part or the precise moment when you should launch yourself to make another track. No, in Super Meat Boy the only thing between you and the goal is your skills. And the more you improve, the further you get. No controls stand in your way, no diversionary crap fills the rims, no wasted levels. Even bosses are platforming challenges.

DKCR has one thing over meatboy, obviously, and that's a bigger budget and there's more shit going on in the background and such. Like, if you need your platformers to constantly be throwing, um, bugs at you and like collapsing rolling tracks then you'll prefer it to SMB..

fail

KevinCow

Banned
I can't believe I'm most of the way through Mirror Mode. I figured it'd never happen, but I'm halfway through world 6.

Bosses and K levels, though? Yeah, I don't think that's happening.

Socreges

Banned
jarosh said:
world 7 was so awesome. especially 7-k. i looooved that level. so amazing, so ingeniously designed, so much fun!

level i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F29fnwAuroA
My favourite level in the game.

Until I played the Godly 9-1.

DKCR is not a trial-and-error game. There are instances of it, and those are annoying, but the overwhelming majority of the game can be completed without having to anticipate particular dangers. Anyone who says otherwise has either not actually played the game (e.g., Amir0x) or doesn't entirely understand what they're talking about.

KevinCow said:
I can't believe I'm most of the way through Mirror Mode. I figured it'd never happen, but I'm halfway through world 6.

Huh. I'd rather you hadn't spoiled that, but oh well, it's not too big a deal.

Is it literally just the same levels, but mirrored, so you start at the far right, and run left? That's kind of lame, if so.

KevinCow

Banned
Ben2749 said:

Is it literally just the same levels, but mirrored, so you start at the far right, and run left? That's kind of lame, if so.

Oh, sorry. :(

It's not just mirrored, though. You'll see.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ben2749 said:

Yeah, that's about it.
Only there's no Diddy, no items and you only have one heart.

I'm also in world 6 in that mode (160%), skipping most of the bosses and K-levels in the process :p. I did beat Platform Panic in a couple of tries though. Once you've memorized every obstacle in that level and master the high jump off enemies, that level isn't that hard anymore.

I always thought 4-K was pretty easy since they gave you Diddy, but I can't even imagine that level in mirror mode. Staying away for as long as I can.

agrajag

Banned
So, in mirror mode:

do you simply go from right to left instead of left to right? Or do you actually have to make it from the end of the level to the beginning? The second possibility sounds more intriguing.

Socreges

Banned
agrajag said:
So, in mirror mode:

do you simply go from right to left instead of left to right? Or do you actually have to make it from the end of the level to the beginning? The second possibility sounds more intriguing.
What the hell does the word "mirror" mean to you exactly? :lol

Yes, right to left.

holy shit

I made my way through world 2 last night and lost about 20 lives on Tidal Terror

I wanted to make that level my bitch so I tried time attack mode immediately after

it took me four hours

but I did it

RETRO YOU SADISTIC FUCKS

Aaron Strife said:
holy shit

I made my way through world 2 last night and lost about 20 lives on Tidal Terror

I wanted to make that level my bitch so I tried time attack mode immediately after

it took me four hours

but I did it

RETRO YOU SADISTIC FUCKS
You know the little rocks that you see in that level? They also work if you duck.

1GabUp

So I have just passed the game with all puzzle pieces and KONG letters. Eighth world was a REAL challenge. The end of smokey peak : WTH. I must have lost 30 lives. In all, it was a really satisfying experience! I'm already looking forward to the sequel!

And now, it's time to start Epic Mickey!

There are definitely some trial-and-error moments in DKCR. On the World 6 boss for instance, he uses attacks that you couldn't possibly know how to avoid the first time you see them. Once you've seen it, you can recognize the visual cues and avoid it in the future, but you will almost certainly get hit the first time. There's also a place in the spike-ball level that I don't think can be passed without taking a hit. That's my problem with this game, it's 95% tight platforming, but that last 5% of ambiguity and looseness makes it absolutely infuriating due to how the gameplay is balanced for difficulty.

Jonnyboy117 said:
There are definitely some trial-and-error moments in DKCR. On the World 6 boss for instance, he uses attacks that you couldn't possibly know how to avoid the first time you see them. Once you've seen it, you can recognize the visual cues and avoid it in the future, but you will almost certainly get hit the first time. There's also a place in the spike-ball level that I don't think can be passed without taking a hit. That's my problem with this game, it's 95% tight platforming, but that last 5% of ambiguity and looseness makes it absolutely infuriating due to how the gameplay is balanced for difficulty.
What spike-ball level? I really don't remember all the levels...

Somnid

Jonnyboy117 said:

If your are thinking what I think you are in the spike ball level you can pass that area by rolling to gain a little extra speed boost. Running won't work.

KevinCow

Banned
YESSSSS, finally got the last few puzzle pieces on 5, 6, and 7-K. I didn't think that would happen. So that's 100% puzzle pieces. Now to finish Mirror Mode.

I probably won't even bother with the Time Trial stuff, though.

HeySeuss

The level design in some of these stages is just fucking genius. I finally finished 5-k after about 30 tries.

This game is great but for some reason I can't play this game for more than an hour or 2 at a time. It makes me really tired for some reason. And no it not because "lol that's cuz itz boring amirite".

Dez

Jonnyboy117 said:

The spike ball level can be beaten without a hit.. it's just really difficult. You are probably talking about the part where you have to duck in the little crevices and run quickly between them when the spike balls aren't dropping.. you just have to leave earlier and use the roll to make it.

Phenomic

So I'm playing through 4-2 Right now and I'm really getting pissed at this. So if someone can help that would be great.

I'm trying to get the final Letter G and when I go to bounce on the Tiki Guy I don't ever have enough height to reach the blast barrel to take me in the background. Normally when I jump on enemies heads I flip and get more height like the guy does in the Youtube video around the 1:22 mark. However, anytime on this enemy I do it it WONT FLIP and I don't get the hell why I can't reach the damn barrel. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG. I've loved every minute of this and I've never had a problem getting the flip to work but I've lost over 40 lives so far and I'm reaching the point where a damn remote is going to be stuck in the wall. Obviously I'm either doing something seriously wrong with jumping or my games bugged because I've flipped in the air multiple times each level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjNIHpvM8vY

I have one and only one complain about this game. That is that the levels are a little too short. I played DKC2 all the way through just recently, and it's levels definitely seemed longer than Returns'.

Other than that DKCR is pretty much flawless (I'm at World 7). I have no problem at all playing with Nunchuck + Wiimote. I don't even think I'd play w/Classic Controller if I could. I think Wiimote/Nunchuck works great. Besides, I prefer being able to have each hand at my side instead of in front of me.

I hope there's a sequel. Dixie was my favourite player in the series to play with, but it could be argued she makes the platforming a little too easy, so I don't know if bringing her back would be good. I would like to see the parrot back though. I loved the parrot levels in DKC2.

KevinCow

Banned
Phenomic said:
So I'm playing through 4-2 Right now and I'm really getting pissed at this. So if someone can help that would be great.

I'm trying to get the final Letter G and when I go to bounce on the Tiki Guy I don't ever have enough height to reach the blast barrel to take me in the background. Normally when I jump on enemies heads I flip and get more height like the guy does in the Youtube video around the 1:22 mark. However, anytime on this enemy I do it it WONT FLIP and I don't get the hell why I can't reach the damn barrel. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG. I've loved every minute of this and I've never had a problem getting the flip to work but I've lost over 40 lives so far and I'm reaching the point where a damn remote is going to be stuck in the wall. Obviously I'm either doing something seriously wrong with jumping or my games bugged because I've flipped in the air multiple times each level.

Press and hold the jump button just before you land on an enemy to get the extra jump height. Land on the enemy without holding the jump button to just bounce off.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I must be the only one here who prefers the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo over the Wiimote sideways version. I find it easier to the do the higher jump boost when stomping on an enemy and not worry about pressing an extra button to run faster. I also like doing the motions for the ground pound better.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
richiek said:
I must be the only one here who prefers the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo over the Wiimote sideways version. I find it easier to the do the higher jump boost when stomping on an enemy and not worry about pressing an extra button to run faster. I also like doing the motions for the ground pound better.
You aren't the only one. I consider Nunchuk combo to be far far superior to Wiimote.

richiek said:
I prefer that one too. It's very comfortable to me.

Socreges

Banned
Phenomic said:

Just gotta be sure you're pressing/holding jump at the right time. No secret to it.

Socreges said:
Just gotta be sure you're pressing/holding jump at the right time. No secret to it.
Yeah, it's simple and intuitive, as demonstrated by this 37 step chart I designed explaining the ins and outs of how to time the button press. It should probably go in the OP just to make sure people understand the simplicity and ease of the controls they're missing out on because of fanboy goggles.

Jintor

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yeah, it's simple and intuitive, as demonstrated by this 37 step chart I designed explaining the ins and outs of how to time the button press. It should probably go in the OP just to make sure people understand the simplicity and ease of the controls they're missing out on because of fanboy goggles.

Literally though once you get it you get it

It's difficult as fuck until you internalise the timing or whatever but after that it's just bam

Socreges

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Either I don't get what you're on about, or you're just being a dipshit?

I didn't say it was simple or intuitive. I actually think the opposite. But that doesn't mean we can tell him exactly what he needs to do differently. As Jintor explained, he's just got to internalize it.

Jintor said:
Literally though once you get it you get it

It's difficult as fuck until you internalise the timing or whatever but after that it's just bam
If you say so. I'm at world 5 and have collected all the Kong and puzzle pieces in every level I've beaten, as well as getting about a half dozen gold metals in time trials. The timing remains iffy in a lot of circumstances. I don't think it's a coincidence how many people have brought the issue up in this thread, and it's a bizarre and unnecessary control issue considering the timing feels fine when you're gaining air off environmental objects like tires. At the best it's an flaw that can be worked around, but it's still bad design.
Socreges said:
Either I don't get what you're on about, or you're just being a dipshit?

I didn't say it was simple or intuitive. I actually think the opposite. But that doesn't mean we can tell him exactly what he needs to do differently. As Jintor explained, he's just got to internalize it.
I wasn't really responding to you directly so much as riffing on your post. Whether that makes me a dipshit is subjective, I guess. :p Hope that clears things up. And btw, I have "internalized" the timing and there's still patterns when the timing feels fucked to me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
World 8 is a huuuuuge dip in quality from the previous worlds. It's just frustrating.

Socreges

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I wasn't really responding to you directly so much as riffing on your post. Whether that makes me a dipshit is subjective, I guess. :p Hope that clears things up. And btw, I have "internalized" the timing and there's still patterns when the timing feels fucked to me.
I guess you just don't feel there's a "right time", whereas I do. The mechanics, as I see it, are complicated when you're expected to jump, jetpack, and then bounce off an enemy that is higher than the platform that you originally jumped from. The precision and quickness required is pretty ridiculous, but I've found that with mastery it can be done consistently. There are times when I fuck up, but that's user error, not some glitch in the game.

I've complained about the controls plenty in previous pages. But being unintuitive and being broken are two different things.

Socreges said:
I've complained about the controls plenty in previous pages. But being unintuitive and being broken are two different things.
Not in practical terms though, if the ultimate result is the same (botched jumps). However, I can see we agree on the essence of the issue, which is that the controls for this action are not particularly intuitive, even if they can ultimately be worked around.

The reason why I'll continue to harp on this issue when it comes up is that it's a lot of unnecessary frustration for something that they managed to get right even within the same game. That's the part I personally find most perplexing- athough thinking on it, in a way it pretty much matches Retro's M.O. It always sort of drives me nuts that they make these games that have incredible amounts of detail and polish, yet there's always some jarring design choice which tends to consistently crop up, leaving a sour note on an otherwise sweet experience. The incongruity only makes it more conspicuous. All three Prime games left me with the same feeling on some level, although I actually think DKCR is their most evenly balanced effort since the original Prime.

I'm going to jump on the button bandwagon. I'm totally fine with shaking the controller to do stuff in Wii games, but it's kind of frustrating in Donkey Kong. I never feel like I roll when I want to and it bugs me.

I do like it that I finally have a reason for my second nun-chuck when I play co-op but I would have felt just as fine getting some extra use out of my second classic controller.

The game is still really fun but sometime frustrating, but not in a way that make me want to shelf it. The rocket barrels and mine cart levels are noticeably hard. Retro hasn't disappointed me yet, though, like with Punch Out, I wish the disk was a little more full.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:
World 8 is a huuuuuge dip in quality from the previous worlds. It's just frustrating.

No way! Its tough, but I really loved it.

Socreges

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Not in practical terms though, if the ultimate result is the same (botched jumps). However, I can see we agree on the essence of the issue, which is that the controls for this action are not particularly intuitive, even if they can ultimately be worked around.
Yes, in practical terms. If we conflate the two words into one, they mean much less. By broken we have to use it in its own distinct way: i.e., doesn't work.

Anyway yeah, we more or less agree.

I can't think of much more quality they could have made the game especially for the first offering but they still left a lot they could add and probably will.

I am fairly sure they will bring back the rocket barrel levels despite some hating them(I can understand hating the premise and mechanics but not the specific controls as they work well for what they are). I actually hope they keep these levels at not being able to take any hits because it adds to the precision and tension.

However, I kind of hope they make the minecart levels where you can take more than one hit before you are done. It'll always require memorization to get all the KONG letters in those levels but that would make it slightly less aggravating as you wouldn't have to replay them step by step.

I have one more puzzle piece to get and then I am done(glad I didn't use the birds as unlike Other M, I didn't want any help at all because I like this game much more).

I've cleared most of the levels in that other mode except some of the boss and some of the K ones(not sure I will be able to do the jagged jewels one).

The game is so brilliant, I think I am going to replay it all soon using just the remote to see how that is though I am betting I prefer the remote plus nunchuk that I have used already.

Unlike many, I really like a bunch of the original music and the Cliffs level is one of my favorite worlds though most are stellar(not crazy about the lava world but I still like it).

No Diddy, no items, and only one heart
in Mirror Mode? Fuck that; that doesn't sound fun at all. I won't be bothering. I'll just try to get all the KONG letters/puzzle pieces/time trial medals for every level and be content with that.

By the way, is anybody else playing through the game with no items? I'm up to world 7, and I haven't used any so far.

Top Bottom