• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

Jito

Banned
Just because it works alright with a controller doesn't mean that the game wouldn't benefit from a complete MKB focus. That's quite an ignorant standpoint. Take Titanfall for example, supposedly a lightning fast FPS but in reality it's barely faster than CoD because It still needs to adhere to the same LT-RT control scheme. Dirty Bomb is a great example that would be impossible to play with a controller. The game is designed around super fast movement speed, no hipfire penalty and headshot multipliers.

I guess what you've seen / played of Titanfall was pretty low level to say it's no faster than CoD.

Wolfenstein and Brutal Doom are both fast paced, no hipfire penalty and headshots kill quicker and yet I had no problems with either on controller.

Still prefer playing my FPS games with a KB/M but this controller bashing shit is tiring. The games are all perfectly playable and beatable with a controller.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation.
lovin it

I've never understood why KB+M is so worshipped when it's a control method that was never designed with gaming in mind. I'm not saying controller is better (for FPSs anyway) but there must be better alternatives out there.

True but games have been designed with keyboard+mouse and controllers in mind, and we've all grown up on at least one or the other so that's why it works.

NIN90

I guess what you've seen / played of Titanfall was pretty low level to say it's no faster than CoD.

Wolfenstein and Brutal Doom are both fast paced, no hipfire penalty and headshots kill quicker and yet I had no problems with either on controller.

Still prefer playing my FPS games with a KB/M but this controller bashing shit is tiring. The games are all perfectly playable and beatable with a controller.

It's about regression, really. It's honestly quite sad how the FPS genre regressed ever since developers started designing with controllers in mind.

Really, try Dirty Bomb or CS:GO with a controller. These games are downright unplayable with a controller and are much better for it. Then again, I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal with a singleplayer FPS.

Yeah, I mean I play FPS on my consoles too but there's no argument that a mouse is superior.

Look how fast you can spin a 180 in Quake 3 - now TRY doing that with a controller. Nope.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
computers weren't designed with gaming in mind either, that doesn't mean their not damn good at it.

Math isn't a game? Those preparatory math classes taught me nothing. That means there was roughly 110+ years between the first analytical machine to the first PC game.

nimrod.jpg

I'd say the technology advancements were more important. It was fate that video games were ever invented. Who'd create something so groundbreaking without zero interest in entertainment? I'd say the exact same thing about the TV or radio. I like to think DOOM broke down a lot more walls (not saying other games didn't, but it pushed it further) between interacting with the home computer. You received an action packed experience.

Didn't realize so many people disliked Doom 3. I really enjoyed it.

Then again, I'm a sucker for audio logs.

I think Doom 3 was the first one to really get audio logs right. I love how intense some of them felt and contributed to the horror atmosphere of the game. Personally, I love Doom 3 vanilla. I love the original Doom games too. They're two very different tastes but both very good in their own right.

hlhbk

It's a shame that no one will (probably) be able to see any footage of the game before E3 next year but, if you want an idea of what id is putting together, go play the BFG edition of Doom 3 as well as Brutal Doom. Imagine the enemy design of Doom 3 BFG being faster paced, combined with the open level design and, well, brutality of Brutal Doom using idTech 5. Subtract the horror elements of Doom 3, add in a basic parkour movement and a first person God of War-esque melee finisher system and that's what the new Doom seems to be. It's pretty fucking cool.

I was hyped until it was compared to Brutal Doom AKA the worst mod for the original Doom. Brutal Doom ruins Doom.

So when will the rest of us be able to see the demos? Gamescom?

The demo was great, well ready for a prime time release at a Gamescom or PAX but I honestly don't expect it to be shown off again until E3. I think ZeniMax are taking the same approach that they did with Dishonored and Rage: reveal initially at QuakeCon, wait until E3 to show it again then start bringing it to every major event after that. This is a 2016 game, easily.

I was hyped until it was compared to Brutal Doom AKA the worst mod for the original Doom. Brutal Doom ruins Doom.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm meaning the brutality of Brutal Doom, not the hyped-up game design. I'm not talking about the enemy spawning, weapons and all that, just the brutality. The gibs, man, all those gibs.

jblank83

I've never understood why KB+M is so worshipped when it's a control method that was never designed with gaming in mind. I'm not saying controller is better (for FPSs anyway) but there must be better alternatives out there.

It's faster and more accurate. There's nothing faster or more accurate out there. An optical mouse has a near infinite gradient of input on an x-y plane, excellent accuracy in that plane, and unbeatable speed as well. Moving a point around an x-y plane is exactly what aiming in an fps is. Sticks can't compare. IR pointers are better than sticks for that task, but not nearly as good as a mouse.

Nor is a mouse a detriment to movement, as it is also used for turning and turning far faster and more accurately than the alternatives.

That's why mouse is better for aiming and for shooting games.

I will echo the concerns of the brutal doom comparison. We already have stuff like Shadow Warrior which was gory just for the sake of being gory.

Yeah I'm getting concerned over this too. Carmack said 30fps console focus and I hoped they'd stick to it but he's not a part if ID anymore anyway.

And D3 still looks absolutely fantastic with mods these days, I really hope the new doom can have this lasting power.

What mods are these?

Metal-Geo

Didn't realize so many people disliked Doom 3. I really enjoyed it.

Then again, I'm a sucker for audio logs.
Not just audio logs, but I quite enjoyed the emails as well! Most memorable one being about a birthday party in Delta Labs. Once you enter one of the Delta Labs maps, the first enemy you encounter is a zombie holding a chainsaw, with a party hat on his head.

It's the little things.

But in my opinion, I found DOOM 3 to become incredibly stale very quickly. Partially thanks to the lack of variety in atmosphere and scenery. Especially since it has quite a lengthy campaign.

What mods are these?

Wulfen and Sikkmod.

Sikkmod adds a lot of new features, like soft shadows, ambient occlusion, colour graining, lens flares, HDR lighting, sun rays, depth of field, motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping and more. All are optional and highly customizable.

Wulfen is the high-res texture pack.

abracadaver

Have been plenty of big announcement at gamescom. Why is this so strange?

The game is probably too violent for germany to be released there.

They did show dead rising 3 last year though and that game wasnt released in germany either.

No idea if already mentioned but Crytek's Tiago Sousa is now working at id on idTech 6.

Tiago Sousa ‏@idSoftwareTiago 36m

Happy to announce i'll be helping the amazingly talented id Software team with Doom and idTech 6. Very excited :)

test_account

XP-39C²
It's about regression, really. It's honestly quite sad how the FPS genre regressed ever since developers started designing with controllers in mind.

Really, try Dirty Bomb or CS:GO with a controller. These games are downright unplayable with a controller and are much better for it. Then again, I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal with a singleplayer FPS.
But CS:GO excist for consoles as well, and it has controller support there. By that defintiion, you can say that the PC version has to be designed around controller support. CS:GO could technically have debuted (as in first shown) at Microsoft's or Sony's E3 press conferance or something, and then been demoed with a controller. I havnt played CS:GO myself, but i havnt heard any complains about the PC version regarding how the game feels and controls. That is the whole arguement for concern here, dp,r people heard that Doom 4 was being demoed with controller and base that soley on that the game will be slower paced. People havnt seen the multiplayer part of the game, and most people here (or maybe everyone) havnt even seen anything from Doom 4 themself.

No one managed to sneak in a spy camera built into one of the buttons of a shirt? An ear stud? A glass eye? Nothing?!

You disappoint me, Quakecon attendees.

No one managed to sneak in a spy camera built into one of the buttons of a shirt? An ear stud? A glass eye? Nothing?!

You disappoint me, Quakecon attendees.

What's nuts is that they actually forced it. Normally with this type of "gotta be there to see it" they turn a blind eye to someone recording footage, because they have nothing to gain after the fact especially if the reaction is that positive.

FrsDvl

Machine games is helping out on this as well apparently. And IDTech6 isn't a huge improvement over 5 I've been told.

Machine games is helping out on this as well apparently. And IDTech6 isn't a huge improvement over 5 I've been told.

It's not a huge leap at all. It's like an Intel tick instead of a tock. Visually, it's a very nice looking idTech 5 game with some minor screen tearing (typical for this point in development) and no texture pop-in. I think the idTech 6 stuff comes mainly from the enemy dismemberment.

eot

Banned
It's a shame that no one will (probably) be able to see any footage of the game before E3 next year but, if you want an idea of what id is putting together, go play the BFG edition of Doom 3 as well as Brutal Doom. Imagine the enemy design of Doom 3 BFG being faster paced, combined with the open level design and, well, brutality of Brutal Doom using idTech 5. Subtract the horror elements of Doom 3, add in a basic parkour movement and a first person God of War-esque melee finisher system and that's what the new Doom seems to be. It's pretty fucking cool.

It would be funny if they're actually inspired by Brutal Doom.

It's not a huge leap at all. It's like an Intel tick instead of a tock. Visually, it's a very nice looking idTech 5 game with some minor screen tearing (typical for this point in development) and no texture pop-in. I think the idTech 6 stuff comes mainly from the enemy dismemberment.

And if the textures aren't ugly as shit the game will be 100gbs large

Nirvana

Yeah, I mean I play FPS on my consoles too but there's no argument that a mouse is superior.

Look how fast you can spin a 180 in Quake 3 - now TRY doing that with a controller. Nope.

Try 10 sensitivity on Halo, might be a fraction slower, but it's pretty damn close even if it is. Speed isn't the issue, just that the mouse is more accurate, even if it's designed with controller in mind I doubt they will flake on the PC version, since Doom has always been a PC title.

People love to jump on anything they possibly can to bitch about. It's amazing to watch these homing missile like posters finding the one frame tear in a game demo and constructing arguments on how they are 'ruining the gaming industry' with it.

All we have are words, we haven't even seen the gameplay and people have managed to find something to get vitriolic about.

teokrazia

I've just beaten Wolfenstein with a controller* and I'm able to play Titanfall on PC with these results, but M+K is ways quicker, precise and complete. Yes, complete: often people forget how this solution is more comfortable for move & look/aim/switch stuff at the same time or for instantly access to a wider range of resources with direct key bindings . ;)

That said, I think I can be ok with a Doom SP created with controllers in mind.
What worries me is that probably means that for MP id has already dropped the ball about creating a MP of the level of QIII. :/

*because I was afraid that M+K could 'spoil it', as happened to me with RAGE, where after a few levels I switched to controller [still finding the game a piece of cake, even at Nightmare :D]

I just need that Steam controller already so I can play FPS games on the couch without sacrificing accuracy or having to have some big, clunky ass contraption on my lap.

Grief.exe

Wulfen and Sikkmod.

Sikkmod adds a lot of new features, like soft shadows, ambient occlusion, colour graining, lens flares, HDR lighting, sun rays, depth of field, motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping and more. All are optional and highly customizable.

Wulfen is the high-res texture pack.

This is why you have to ignore the BFG version and grab the original.

EVIL

The game is probably too violent for germany to be released there.

They did show dead rising 3 last year though and that game wasnt released in germany either.

They have shown plenty of violent games in the past on the show floor and on the conferences.

Top Bottom