• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

I wish Romero would make a comeback to ID.

we can only hope.

romero_id_quakecon_zps92c73fcd.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Man I want to see a real-deal controller vs KBM showdown. None of this internal testing crap, I want a big fucking tournament with the greatest players going head to head to prove once and for all who's the king of FPSs.

Okay maybe it'll just wind up like a Globetrotters vs. Generals game but I still want to see it.
I think the best gamepadders could hold their own against average mousers, but the best mousers look like aimbots. It would be a complete slaughter.

But game devs have made so many tweaks that with aim assist, movement speed and level design that the overall experience isn't much different as long as all players use the same input device.

I say that because John, when asked by Doomworld people if he would consider making a new Doom episode, said that he'd do just that, but only after learning Doom Builder 2's in-and-outs and after playing stuff like Back to Saturn X a whole lot. Imagine if id would give him a full salary and stay at their place to work on New Doom...even if he'd just be doing an extra episode, the prospect certainly sounds cool.

Somnid

I don't know that Doom needed more gore. That was always a gimmick, not an important piece. Violence is in the DNA but I'd rather this not turn into God of War.

Rather the important parts were in the level design, things don't have to look like things in real life, levels were levels because they were fun. I don't know the feasibility of it these days but with great effort you can have engaging levels in realistic environments with some suspension of disbelief.

The other thing was the encounters. Enemies don't need to be smart if there's many of them. Dodging slow moving fireballs from 360 degrees from 10 enemies was the feeling Doom had. Single enemies weren't threatening, but horde management was a skill.

I hope they can nail down those aspects.

G-Fex

I say that because John, when asked by Doomworld people if he would consider making a new Doom episode, said that he'd do just that, but only after learning Doom Builder 2's in-and-outs and after playing stuff like Back to Saturn X a whole lot. Imagine if id would give him a full salary and stay at their place to work on New Doom...even if he'd just be doing an extra episode, the prospect certainly sounds cool.

John played BTSX?

That's awesome. I assumed he loved the look of it.

I'm wondering if Id Tech 6 is Carmack's last contribution to Id Software. If not, who's the brain behind the engine?

Anyways, count me excited for the news. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm wondering if Id Tech 6 is Carmack's last contribution to Id Software. If not, who's the brain behind the engine?

Anyways, count me excited for the news. :)

Dunno, but it's a team called core Technology Group (going with zenimax hiring page)

and to be honest I hope John Carmack put little to nothing in this new engine before he left since id-tech 4 and id-tech 5 were huge disasters.

They need to have bodies stay on the floor that was one thing doom was amazing about .

To see how many enemies you mowed through to get to the end.

Lucumo

What a new Doom needs:

- awesome level design
- awesome monster design
- tons of monster
- lots of blood and gore
- corpses staying on floor(obvious though)
- no automatic health regeneration

And as long as the AI isn't terrible, I'm fine with it.

Dunno, but it's a team called core Technology Group (going with zenimax hiring page)

and to be honest I hope John Carmack put little to nothing in this new engine before he left since id-tech 4 and id-tech 5 were huge disasters.

Care to elaborate?

I'm an old fart that lived the birth of FPS and my last loved game was Half-Life franchise. After that I only played Portal games.

Nzyme32

I can't wait to try this game, but ...

owbums.png

Standing ovation ?
I think I have different tastes.

There is a massive lack of context here. It's one thing to read just that statement and another to be there, see it properly and either have you expectations squashed or exceeded. Further to that, this was shown to the most passionate of the Doom fans that typically attend quakecon. If anything, there expectation would be higher than most, so it bodes well, but obviously peoples tastes there at quakecon are very similar to each other as fans of ID over the years.

My imagination leads me to think this may be similar to my first experience of Brutal Doom, and having my expectations from what I was told by friends and what I had read, completely obliterated

Exactly how were they disasters?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Care to elaborate?

I'm an old fart that lived the birth of FPS and my last loved game was Half-Life franchise. After that I only played Portal games.

Id tech 4 (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Brink) runs like garbage on consoles, it also demanded too much of that era PC GPUs for it's shitty lighting system and used in few games (like 6 games or something). then we got Id Tech 5 that lock on 60fps and can't go more than that on even most powerful PC ever because that is hardcoded or something and still Rage and TNO have performance issues on PC, the megatextures look ugly as sin and can't scale right. and it can't support open world games (and used on only 3 games).

Mman235

Exactly how were they disasters?

Very few people have licensed them and their modding and Indie communities are near-non-existent (Doom 3 has a bit of one to be fair). Compared to rivals like the Unreal Engine I think those are good enough signs they didn't do especially well.

Id tech 4 (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Brink) runs like garbage on consoles, it also demanded too much of that era PC GPUs for it's shitty lighting system and used in few games (like 6 games or something). then we got Id Tech 5 that lock on 60fps and can't go more than that on even most powerful PC ever because that is hardcoded or something and still Rage and TNO have performance issues on PC, the megatextures look ugly as sin and can't scale right. and it can't support open world games (and used on only 3 games).

Stencil shadows are hard on CPU performance and not GPU performance really. Hence why they did so many tricks to make the stencil shadows run better in 2004, but then made it multi-threaded with doom 3 bfg, hence why it runs at 60 on consoles.

Ixion

Those two members at Doomworld, GoatLord and Caffeine Freak, spoke about the graphics a bit more...

GoatLord said:
I'd like to mention that the teaser trailer looks better than gameplay, but mostly in terms of post-processing effects such as depth of field. It was also clear the shadows were more meticulous. That said, gameplay didn't look very downgraded from that. The overall detail was fairly close to the teaser.

Caffeine Freak said:
Yeah, I echo this opinion. Gameplay was pretty close to the teaser, graphics wise.

Seeing as the teaser was entirely pre-rendered, this is pretty promising.

Some more tidbits:

Caffeine Freak said:
The marine was sleeveless and wearing gloves

Caffeine Freak said:
Revenants had jet packs and rotting flesh (from what I recall) attached to them. Zombies were pale and deformed, with pieces missing from them sometimes. Imps were somewhat reminiscent of Doom 3, kind of an 'Aliens' vibe to them, and this was true of the Hell-knights as well. Mancubus was bulky, dark-skinned, and had armor. Cyber demon was much as he's shown in the teaser.

Caffeine Freak said:
Damage was procedural, and enemy deaths differed a ton, especially dependent upon which weapon killed them.

GoatLord said:
There seems to be an overall serious tone to the whole thing, though the brutal violence suggests a bit of shock value, the kind that makes you go, "Fuck yeah" when a kill is satisfying. This is very much in the spirit of the original. The melees look as though they'll be as optional as the player wants, so it'll probably wear thin on account of the player, rather than the game.

GoatLord said:
every weapon looked and sounded better than Doom 3's.

Ixion

This Romero thing is interesting. Legit?

He posted this the next day:

64a6305e-443a-40c8-8e48-0bc8b9c16a54_zps0084513d.png

Seeing as he still hasn't seen the new Doom preview and he hasn't seen Kevin Cloud in a while (the current Lead Artist at ID), I doubt he's involved. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

synce

Kinda hyped for this. I just hope Doom isn't suddenly blue and orange like every other shooter today

John played BTSX?

That's awesome. I assumed he loved the look of it.
I have no idea if he's played it. He simply said that the mappers of today will continue to out-do him if he doesn't play through their stuff and learn their tools.

And wow, his house burned down? Karma's made a bitch out of him...and has forced him to make Facebook games.

astonish

There might be a thread for this elsewhere (I'm on my phone), but the head of engine/rendering for Crytek for the past 10 years, Tiago Sousa, has left Crytek to join id. I'm sure he will be in a guiding position for idtech6. For the first time in years things are looking up for id (as Crytek stumbles?)

The twitter replys are a who's who of the fame rendering world (including Carmack)

twitter

Jito

Banned
I believe that was Crytek's E3 demo at the EA press conference.

This just raises more questions. If that's how devs plays their own game, what are most gamers like with a controller? Must be why so many people hate them as they just suck with it.

Druz

This just raises more questions. If that's how devs plays their own game, what are most gamers like with a controller? Must be why so many people hate them as they just suck with it.

Or maybe the games suck because the devs are programmer and artists but don't play games?

Jito

Banned
Or maybe the games suck because the devs are programmer and artists but don't play games?

Beats me, it's just eye opening to see how shit people can be with a controller. I have something to imagine when people slag off controllers now, this is how they play.

Wools

Neo Member
Ever since GoldenEye and the PSone port of Quake II, I've got on fine with controllers to play FPS's.

Although I used to have a mate who could still only play racing games with a D Pad. Even with the advent of Gran Turismo 4 he would insist on using it, although all credit to him, he was a dab hand in split screen!

Drencrom

Really disappointed that not a single event-goer got any off-screen footage of the gameplay reveal for us non-quakecon attendees.

For shame!

Top Bottom