• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It also makes me laugh how Bethesda have now ported their best selling game, one of their highest critically rated games from last year, and one of their upcoming big titles, and...

... Rockstar ports over LA Noire 🤢

nikatapi

Holy shit Bethesda. All of your games will be mine. That's the type of gaming i want on my Switch, besides the usual Nintendo stuff.

random25

It also makes me laugh how Bethesda have now ported their best selling game, one of their highest critically rated games from last year, and one of their upcoming big titles, and...

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they'll bring GTAV over too. It's basically what Skyrim is to Bethesda.

Mr Swine

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they'll bring GTAV over too. It's basically what Skyrim is to Bethesda.

They won't, if L.A Noire flops (likely to happen) they will just say "oh look our software doesn't sell".

I can't wait for the impressions from the game

Doom is the kind of game that is sooooo fun, but is generally pretty same-y throughout the game, meaning long playthroughs get boring. I think this actually makes it perfect for the Switch. I will love playing it on the train for 30-40 minutes at a time much more than sitting in front of my PC for a while and playing it.

Personally, I have been playing less games on my PC and way more on my Switch. Doom is a beautiful game on highest settings on PC, but on the Switch I'll actually finish the game, haha.

Doom isn't a Prime copy verbatim, but I noticed almost instantly how much it reminded me of Prime. It's more in the way you move in the game, and the hud, and shit like that. Plus the map system and the (relative) focus on platforming. I saw a lot of Prime's DNA in the game, and it was one of the many reason's Doom 2016 was an amazing game.

Yes, same here. Doom definitely is definitely not Prime in many ways, but it still has many elements reminiscent of it.

FyreWulff

Quoting myself from the other thread. This one is more appropriate.

Basically, the rules is and always has been: as long as a platform sells well, publishers and developers will find a way to get a game or a version of the game on there, unless it's absolutely impossible.

Conversely, you could have the most powerful console ever made with 32GB of RAM, a 25 core processor, and 24 SSDs in a RAID config, but if only 1,000 people buy it nobody is going to make a game for it.

random25

They won't, if L.A Noire flops (likely to happen) they will just say "oh look our software doesn't sell".

It depends. It's not some anticipated title, plus it's coming on a plethora of platforms at the same time. Dunno what's their expectations on that one.

With GTAV, if feature set is pretty much the same as the original, it will still be selling a lot on any platform. That's pretty much a better barometer of success for them imo.

vareon

The good thing about this is instead of "lol why would I play this on an inferior machine", the option to play it in portable mode is a considerable point. Very different from Wii U or even Wii situation.

... Rockstar ports over LA Noire ��

I think in all cases, part of the reason they're being ported is because they're games being actively worked on by the respective companies.

• Skyrim VR is coming out and they recently released a Skyrim remaster on PS4/XBO
  • Doom VFR is coming out
  • Wolfenstein 2 is in active development
  • LA Noir is getting remasters on PS4 / XBO

I don't think there's any chance LA Noir would have been ported if they weren't already remastering it for other systems. They definitely should bring GTAV though, so as to try for the Quadruple-dip. I'm not personally interested but I know plenty of folks who'd jump on portable GTAV. It's effectively guaranteed to ship hundreds of thousands of units. The last-gen versions do exist and the PC version can scale down to a GDP Win.

In addition to Doom VFR, getting idTech6 up and running will mean future Bethesda titles might conceptually work too assuming they sell well.

The good thing about this is instead of "lol why would I play this on an inferior machine", the option to play it in portable mode is a considerable point. Very different from Wii U or even Wii situation.

Nintendo finally found a good excuse for having a lower specced machine, and one that Sony and MS will likely never replicate. Neither will risk losing their market share of the high-end console market by letting their graphical fidelity stagnate over the course of two entire console generations like Nintendo has.

I'm already looking forward to playing PS4 pro quality games on-the-go on the inevitable Switch 2 in 5-ish years, even though I'm well aware that the PS5 will blow it out of the water.

I certainly was not expecting current gen ports of non-sports games on the Switch though. That's a very pleasant surprise. AAA current gen console games on a portable? Bravo, Bethesda.

I'll definitely buy DOOM!
The game doesn't look as good as on PC/PS4/XBO, but that's to be expected. At least the Switch version is portable and I believe that's the main reason why it's getting the game. Missing the bling-bling of the other versions is okay on the small 720p screen in Handheld Mode. Docked is another case of course.

Cuburt

AEEEzne.png

Any talk for motion controls?

Wondering this too.. This could be a deal breaker for me if we don't get it. After playing motion controls on wii and wii u, I don't think I can go back to dual analog controls. Way too sluggish for me.

What I really want is IR aiming.. But that's lkely not coming back.. So if its like splatoon I guess, that's better than nothing.

a) LA Noire won't flop

b) even if it did Rockstar are smart enough to have reasonable projections for a port of a 6 and a half year old game

Acting like the entirety of Rockstar's potential support rests on LA Noire is crazy

ASIS

Wondering this too.. This could be a deal breaker for me if we don't get it. After playing motion controls on wii and wii u, I don't think I can go back to dual analog controls. Way too sluggish for me.

What I really want is IR aiming.. But that's lkely not coming back.. So if its like splatoon I guess, that's better than nothing.
No joke this is the only reason I would even buy one or both these games. It needs to be included.

Widge

I don't understand why nobody seems to get this. LA Noire, they are bringing to four platforms. That's four platforms worth of sales versus a single one with GTA. One lot of effort for the return.

*Guaraná;248923283 said:

First multiplatform fps game comparisons on Switch with other consoles. Interesting and it gives us somewhat of an idea what we can expect from other franchises like cod..

edit: hopefully we get that snapmap mod feature later.. Too bad its deconfirmed now.

No joke this is the only reason I would even buy one or both these games. It needs to be included.

One one hand it IS Betheseda who included motion controls for Skyrim.. But can we assume motion controls for this game too? We should let the developers know to give us a motion controls option.

Flaare

Neo Member
DOOM is looking really good, the Switch is really starting to shape up in it's first year.
Definitely getting this as my holiday present!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Basically, the rules is and always has been: as long as a platform sells well, publishers and developers will find a way to get a game or a version of the game on there, unless it's absolutely impossible.

Conversely, you could have the most powerful console ever made with 32GB of RAM, a 25 core processor, and 24 SSDs in a RAID config, but if only 1,000 people buy it nobody is going to make a game for it.

But DS literally couldn't get PS2 ports, and 360/Ps3 to Wii ports, although possible in the case of CoD, were of a much significant challenge, up to making a new engine.

Top Bottom