• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I expect there to be a mode in Doom where all enemies are changed to various Mario enemies!

And in Wolfenstein for you to be able to change clothes to Mario's for a cut scene.

KingBroly

Banned
While I have Doom on PC, anyone who hasn't played it should definitely get it. Fantastic game.

I'll get Wolfenstein 2 on Switch, though. Definitely was on my radar before, but now I have an outlet to play it on (Wolfenstein on PC is a bit eh...performance wise)

Andyliini

Wow. I thought Bethesda might bring more games if Skyrim became a hit, but it does look like they already believe it will be. If doom and Wolfenstein sell well, there's even better possibility that Activion will bring the Call of Duty to Switch, too.

I've watched Wolf 1 played, and it looked pretty mechanically solid and interesting, but the narrative was really gratingly bad to me. Like, I get it's supposed to be over the top, but it really just came off as something I'd see in a terrible movie. That said, I'll wait and see what I hear about 2 since it would at least be a good shoot. I'm in for Doom without a doubt.

Hopefully they work on getting Fallout 4 on Switch if their efforts so far are rewarded.

deleted

Both Doom and Wolf are probably gonna be 30fps like how Wolfenstein: TNO is 30fps on PS3 and 360. edit: nevermind, that game actually ran at 60fps on that old-ass hardware. You know what, who knows.

IIRC idtech 5/6 are build around 60fps - like having to maintain 60fps as a priority with everything else coming second. As a result it is extremely scalable - it just needs a lot of space for megatextures. And even that worked somehow with the limited memory on ps360.

It will be 60fps for sure.

Motion aiming and I am in on both, seeing that motion support is part of the Skyrim port I am very hopeful in this regard.

I say it has a legit shot on Switch if nowhere else. Sony and MS fans played it already on PS3 and 360 while Nintendo fans are getting it for the first time, plus it has the portability factor going for it.

Who knows.
It's not a game that lends itself favourably to portable play. I don't think it will do much on any of the new platforms tbh.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Haha crazy, never would have guessed this. Nice get by Nintendo, maybe this will be the slow shift of third party devs towards a more positive stance on Switch development (assuming these games actually do well on the system and the Switch keeps selling like it has).
It looks kind of rough as expected (as someone who played it on a rather high-end PC), but if they manage 60 fps in handheld mode that would really cool, having it on the go.

FinalAres

Something that worried me was that I was going to be put off by worse graphics on multiple games. You know, wanting the definitive edition.

As it turns out I barely notice the difference unless I'm looking.

Fettbacke

Neo Member
Still surprised about Doom and Wolfenstein II in the Nintendo Direct :0
Not buying it on the Switch (have Doom already on the PS4) but still very good Switch support from Bethesda.

Will buy Wolfenstein II on Switch if i can get a Mario costume for Blazkowicz. Killing Nazis as Mario is a dream come true :d

LaNaranja

Doom is fucking poop but Wolfenstein coming over is great news. I was going to skip it this year anyway since the next few months are packed but now I will probably just wait for the Switch version.

EVH

Doom was one of the must have in switch where FPSs were missing. Wolfestein too. Honestly now the only missing one is Titanfall 2 but i highly doubt that one works as it is built on Source.

Anyway, i guess the Skyrim contacts from Nintendo to Bethesda are doing miracles.

SRTtoZ

Thinking more about it, even though I own it on PC I'll probably grab DOOM for those quick away from my computer sessions where I can just go through SP and master each level while watching sports. DOOM is great for quick bursts, even if you play the heck out of it, but Wolfenstein is way more story driven where i'd probably want to be playing the PC version of that. Day 1 for DOOM.

Celine

*Guaraná;248923283 said:
gOcpmj9.jpg
Some lightning and effects downgrade but overall looks good for what is a console powered by mobile tech.

VAD

I'm tempted to double dip for Doom, but I think I will want to experience Wolfenstein with its bells and whistle on PC first. I'm quite happy to see that Big N is going for the 'main console in the living room' title.

J@hranimo

Banned
When I heard that DOOM and Wolfenstein were announced I yelled lmao.

DOOM is a game that I wanted to play for a while now but it was in my backlog for a bit. Seeing this coming for Switch AND it releases this year catapults it to a Day 1. Wolfenstein is interesting too and I've heard good things about it so I'll keep an eye on it.

Good job so far Bethesda!

Celine

i still can't believe that we are getting doom and wolfenstein. When i read "iconic fps" i thought of some crappy shooter, not fucking doom
Funny enough DOOM makes perfectly sense for Nintendo strategy for Switch.
Nintendo is clearly aiming for the old farts that are nostalgic for '90s gaming.
Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Street Fighter 2, Mana Collection and so on are all there to entice those old gamers.
This is partly because there is an overlap with Nintendo own core fans but also because many of those old gamers have a full-time job and a family which drain play time therefore Switch core proposition of play whenever and how you like is a good value for them.

mclem

I have to admit, I'm surprised they're going straight to Wolf 2; that shows a lot of confidence. Heck, even if it were me making the decisions, I'd have got a pack of New Order / Old Blood out before thinking about the sequel.

Wonder if we might be seeing a Fallout as a result. Again, I'd probably be inclined to go for an earlier title - 3 or NV - but that's just my completionist attitude, I think.

Edit: As I've just seen mentioned elsewhere, I guess this also means Dishonored could be on the table. I still haven't played the DLC, I'd be seriously tempted to pick it up on Switch to do so if it happened.

RossoneR

Banned
Great for switch library. Doom s mediocre game, u ll be bored halfway. I dont know how i managed to finish it. Wolf ll be better buy for sure.

Depends how graphically intensive it is.

BotW, Mario + Rabbids and Splatoon 2 are games which stress the hardware (BotW had no optimisation for Switch and runs the same threads as Wii U) and thus you get the low end of battery life.

Games which don't stress the hardware as much in handheld mode get you more, like 3.5-6 hours (Fate Extella, Lego City, Puyo Tetris, Snake Pass).

I can see Doom getting 3 hours. Luckily wireless and brightness make little difference to battery life compared to which game you're playing.

Funny enough DOOM makes perfectly sense for Nintendo strategy for Switch.
Nintendo is clearly aiming for the old farts that are nostalgic for '90s gaming.
Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Street Fighter 2, Mana Collection and so on are all there to entice those old gamers.
This is partly because there is an overlap with Nintendo own core fans but also because many of those old gamers have a full-time and a family which drains play time therefore Switch core proposition of play whenever and how you like is a good value for them.

Exactly this. Octopath Traveler is another one. It's not a coincidence that the online service has NES/SNES games as a key feature - who would actually be interested in these other than long-time players?

NEO0MJ

They really messed up by not having Wolfenstein ready until next year. It'll miss out in marketing and people with others ways of playing it probably won't wait for the Switch port.

Metalmarc

They really messed up by not having Wolfenstein ready until next year. It'll miss out in marketing and people with others ways of playing it probably won't wait for the Switch port.

The game hasn't released on any platform yet, this Wolfenstein 2

Oh i see what you mean, nvm

Top Bottom