• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scrawnton

Even though I have a gaming pc and a PS4, I'm gonna buy Doom on Switch because something about playing Doom on a Nintendo system again just feels like forbidden fruit. All over this.

Kyle8497

I couldn't give a damn about graphics. I'll just be happy to finally be able to play the game after several years since my computer is garbage. I'm used to playing on minimum settings at low-ass resolution.

Steejee

That PS4 vs Switch comparison is pretty impressive. Even though the PS4 is a few years old now, the Switch is effectively a portable, so getting a game like Doom that close is a feat.

I already own it on PC, so I won't be buying (plus I hate FPS' on thumbsticks), but it being ported so well to Switch is good to see

ozfunghi

You certainly are not remembering correctly.

It also has a high chance of being 60fps while Skyrim is 30. Doom is also a current gen PS4 game.

Look up Doom on Xbox if you're seriously arguing that Doom 4 on Switch looks worse than Doom 3 on the original Xbox.
Besides, as scalable as idtech is and despite the closed environments, Doom is still a much more recent, much more demanding game than Skyrim. I don't even know how you can honestly overlook this. Skyrim looks great because the system is powerful enough to run a 2011 game at what most would consider high/maximum fidelity. Doom, on the other hand, will always be compromised in some ways. Run Doom and Skyrim on the same computer and you'll see that one runs much better than the other.

You may want to take a look back at OG xbox doom 3. You may be saying that though because doom 3, even on OG box, still had a good amount of stencil shadows in the environment and being casted from monsters and whatnot. The footage here, the game play footage, has presumably eliminated tons of shadow casting lights (their cast shadow flag probably), so as to save on performance.

Doom relies a lot on its lighting, post processing, and shadowing to complement its shading model. If you cut out a lot of the directional lighting, shadowing, and post processing (motion blur for example), you would have the appearance of a much older looking game.

I was talking about this part in particular, which seems really bad.

doomedf9ugo.jpg

But i just saw the japanese trailer, and aside from this part, that looks a lot better.

You can check Doom3 BFG on Shield to get an idea on how a Tegra X1 can run Doom 3 and the difference with Doom (2016):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7-Ot4zyf0

I wasn't arguing that the Switch couldn't outperform the Xbox, i was arguing that the Switch can do much better than certain parts in that trailer.

I was talking about this part in particular, which seems really bad.

But i just saw the japanese trailer, and aside from this part, that looks a lot better.

It's still in development so I wouldn't be too worried about that. It looks like it may have dynamic resolution scaling and at that part it looks really bad. But we don't know how long this has actually been in development and how much more it will be optimized.

ozfunghi

It's still in development so I wouldn't be too worried about that. It looks like it may have dynamic resolution scaling and at that part it looks really bad. But we don't know how long this has actually been in development and how much more it will be optimized.

That's what i meant. That part does look bad, but on the other hand, the Japanese trailer has parts where it looks a lot better as well.

Keep in mind that even if that's the exact same hardware it's running a PC OS on top of the game which draws a huge amount of resources, so it would likely be optimized a lot better for the Switch.

I can see it running at 60fps. It's not a CPU intensive game.

The 920m can't keep a solid 60fps at half the resolution on the Fifa titles.

HeroR

That PS4 vs Switch comparison is pretty impressive. Even though the PS4 is a few years old now, the Switch is effectively a portable, so getting a game like Doom that close is a feat.

I already own it on PC, so I won't be buying (plus I hate FPS' on thumbsticks), but it being ported so well to Switch is good to see

The game came out in 2016 right? So it's only a year.

Neiteio

DOOM has awesome boss battles that frankly feel like something out of Metroid Prime. Y'know, bosses with actual patterns and shit, like jumping over/crouching under the Cyber Demon's wave attack.

I'm really excited to see more people try it. I was obsessed with it last year and made like a billion threads on it. :-O

13ruce

Banned
DOOM has awesome boss battles that frankly feel like something out of Metroid Prime. Y'know, bosses with actual patterns and shit, like jumping over/crouching under the Cyber Demon's wave attack.

I'm really excited to see more people try it. I was obsessed with it last year and made like a billion threads on it. :-O

I will throw my 15 bucks ps4 version in the trash or snip it in half and get the Switch version lol. Seriously i aint got time to download that multiplayer. And i rather play it on Switch anyway.

Wonder if they will port fallout 4 too.... Might give it a new chance then.

Neiteio

I also wonder why the Pinkie looks so large. The player has to be able to jump over the Pinkie — the whole way you defeat them is by getting them to run at you and then jumping over them to shoot them in the butt — so I think the player is just crouching in that scene.

Neiteio

Another thing to note: If the original devs are handling the Switch version, there's no way they'll half-ass it. They were super-proud of the game — it was clearly a passion project for them, not unlike Ubi Milan's work on Mario + Rabbids. There's this sense of joy running through DOOM (despite being a game about alien demons, lol) that's just plain infectious. It's just FUN from the moment your character punches a computer at the start trying to give him plot exposition, and then cocks his shotgun in sync to the music.

Also Doomguy 4 Smash.

Neiteio

Wasn't there a thread calling Doom the most Nintendo non-nintendo game lol.

Good to see these coming to the switch.
It feels like something Miyamoto would like, because the focus is 100% on gameplay — the feel, the flow, the feedback.

You have these huge maze-like levels packed full of secrets. The platforming is legitimately GREAT, like Metroid Prime but faster. Of course the mobility and combat is top-notch — your character runs around at 90 mph, smoothly mantling ledges, jumping and double-jumping, weaving past incoming enemy fire that you can clearly see (and thus clearly dodge). You don't take cover here; instead the goal is to keep moving.

DOOM is so much fun, and frankly quite refreshing for a modern-day shooter.

Doom is way too fast for any kind of motion aiming.

Do you realize that mouse aiming is a type of motion aiming?

Gyro assist like in BotW is much faster and more precise than just dual analog.

It feels like something Miyamoto would like, because the focus in 100% on gameplay — the feel, the flow, the feedback.

You have these huge maze-like levels packed full of secrets. The platforming is legitimately GREAT, like Metroid Prime but faster. Of course the mobility and combat is top-notch — your character runs around at 90 mph and smoothly mantle ledges, jumping and double-jumping, weaving past incoming enemy fire that you can clearly see (and thus clearly dodge). You don't take cover here; instead the goal is to keep moving.

Yup. This was such a perfect fit, I've been calling a port for like 11 months now.

It feels like something Miyamoto would like, because the focus in 100% on gameplay — the feel, the flow, the feedback.

You have these huge maze-like levels packed full of secrets. The platforming is legitimately GREAT, like Metroid Prime but faster. Of course the mobility and combat is top-notch — your character runs around at 90 mph and smoothly mantle ledges, jumping and double-jumping, weaving past incoming enemy fire that you can clearly see (and thus clearly dodge). You don't take cover here; instead the goal is to keep moving.

Fully agreed. The polish, the smoothness, the cohesiveness of the gameplay, visuals and the tight controls.

I was surprised at finishing it about his great it was but the more I thought about it and with recent replays of the best chapters everything just clicks and I can't get enough!

Really should get back to this game. It's been sitting in my steam library since launch.

May hold off until the switch release.

Wow. Already own Doom on PS4, so no need to get it. However, Wolfenstein 2 is a day one on Switch. I was dubious if I would get it this holiday cause of time constraints, but if its coming later, on Switch, portable Wolfen. Easy wait and day one then. Don't mind if it takes a hit and its 30fps and lower resolution, its all good as long as its the same game.

Neiteio

DOOM is a surprisingly funny game. I think new players will be delighted by how funny it can be.

You're not trapped with the demons. The demons are trapped with YOU, and they know it.

Also, the level design is tits in this game

3082279-3737476122-30644.jpg

Doom2016_leveldesign1.jpg

sanstesy

Bethesda really chose wisely porting DOOM early on to the Switch. Not only is the console in need of quality FPS games - it is also a very recent game, has good WoM and history with Nintendo consoles. In addition, DOOM could no doubt use some more units sold.

The perfect candidate for a Switch port and it will benefit both parties.

Neiteio

If Skyrim and DOOM sell well (and they will), this is going to be a big turning point for third parties on Switch, methinks.

Perhaps I'm being too hopeful here, but if DOOM (and Wolfenstein) performs well on Switch, in terms of framerate vs resolution and all, it could provide another argument for the uptake of Vulkan as an API. Because if using such can make games that might otherwise struggle, function on what is currently an in-demand device, then that is an incentive to do so.

If Skyrim and DOOM sell well (and they will), this is going to be a big turning point for third parties on Switch, methinks.

It feels like Bethesda is already on board with porting new games- hopefully in the future day and date- onto the Switch. Activision will surely be interested in these sales, EA and Ubisoft may be too considering they haven't brought anything like these games yet.

Imagine a magical timeline where we get a "Skyrim/DOOM sold more on Switch than all other platforms combined" thread. That would be an incredible thread.

Phoenixus

Question for people that have already played the game. Would you recommend DOOM to someone that usually doesn't like or enjoy FPSes? Been a long time since one has gelled with me but I'd like to support Bethesda's efforts. And the fact that the multiplayer is an optional download is a huge plus to me personally, not a fan of FPS multiplayer at all.

Question for people that have already played the game. Would you recommend DOOM to someone that usually doesn't like or enjoy FPSes? Been a long time since one has gelled with me but I'd like to support Bethesda's efforts. And the fact that the multiplayer is an optional download is a huge plus to me personally, not a fan of FPS multiplayer at all.
Yes.
I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but this one is just pure fun. It's chaotic and doesn't require precise aiming. It's closer to an arcade shooter or a shmup.

Yes, the last FPS I enjoyed before DOOM was probably Goldeneye 64 (unless Jedi Outcast counts). It actually feels like a classic FPS from the good old days, the maps are incredibly varied with lots of twisting paths and secrets, and the actual gameplay has a lot of Metroid Prime feel to it, what with double jumping, platforming, and trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

It's an incredibly good game, and I really can't stand most FPS's.

Phoenixus

Yes.
I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but this one is just pure fun. It's chaotic and doesn't require precise aiming. It's closer to an arcade shooter or a shmup.

Okay, that's promising, definitely along my interests.

Yes, the last FPS I enjoyed before DOOM was probably Goldeneye 64 (unless Jedi Outcast counts). It actually feels like a classic FPS from the good old days, the maps are incredibly varied with lots of twisting paths and secrets, and the actual gameplay has a lot of Metroid Prime feel to it, what with double jumping, platforming, and trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

It's an incredibly good game, and I really can't stand most FPS's.

Okay, I think you just completely sold me on it. My last enjoyed FPS was also Goldeneye (with Timesplitters 3 being a notable roadblock) and that sounds exactly what I'd enjoy. Thanks to both of you. :)

Top Bottom