• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If the game is 30 fps then my math tells me that no 30 fps PS4 game can be ported to Switch.

For 60 fps titles:

60 - 30 = 30 fps

For 30 fps titles:

30 - 30 = 0 fps

0 fps means 30 fps PS4 games can only run as slideshows on Switch.

You can't argue with math.
On the other hand, Skyrim will run at its intended frame rate.

Careful guys, we're gonna get this thread locked
at 60fps

Anyway, as someone who hasn't played Wolfenstein TNO are there destructible environments in that? The new trailer for 2 seemed to show that (I really know little about either game so I apologize if this is obvious) and I'm curious how the Switch can handle that as it's typically a CPU heavy task. The Switch's CPU could theoretically be a bit better for some tasks when compared to the Jaguars (specifically single core tasks) but overall it has a somewhat big disadvantage.

I don't care that much about the framerate, I'm more concerned about gyro aiming. Odds are it won't have it....hence I'll be disappointed. Of course, you're right that we don't have much to go on, so I'm still following this thread.

Apparently it works with the Steam controller and is used in DOOM VFR so I'd actually be very surprised if it doesn't have gyro aiming on Switch too, since the work has to have been done either way.

TheMoon

I don't care that much about the framerate, I'm more concerned about gyro aiming. Odds are it won't have it....hence I'll be disappointed. Of course, you're right that we don't have much to go on, so I'm still following this thread.

Skyrim has it, so Bethesda is at least aware of it being a possible thing they could have someone do. Now it just depends on who ports it and how they feel about that.

Careful guys, we're gonna get this thread locked
at 60fps

Anyway, as someone who hasn't played Wolfenstein TNO are there destructible environments in that?

I can't say I remember any. I could definitely be wrong.

Apparently it works with the Steam controller and is used in DOOM VFR so I'd actually be very surprised if it doesn't have gyro aiming on Switch too, since the work has to have been done either way.

It doesn't have native gyro support, but you can apply that to any game quite easily by configuring the Steam controller.

Also DOOM VFR is a totally different thing.

I can't say I remember any. I could definitely be wrong.

It doesn't have native gyro support, but you can apply that to any game quite easily by configuring the Steam controller.

Yeah, I got gyro aiming working with a Dualshock 4 in Big Picture mode. Just set the gyro to mouse aim in the controller config in Big Picture mode.

heringer

If Doom is indeed running at 60 fps, would it be safe to assume that Wolf 2 will be 60 fps too? Both are running in the same engine and run at 60 fps on PS4/XBO, after all.

If Doom is indeed running at 60 fps, would it be safe to assume that Wolf 2 will be 60 fps too? Both are running in the same engine and run at 60 fps on PS4/XBO, after all.

I'd say so. Unless cutting that Frau Engle daughter schmex scene suddenly caused the game to be 20FPS. XD

Ah I wasn't aware how the Steam controller worked, thanks.

As for VFR it's using the same engine and gyro sensing is a component of VR motion sensing, so I would imagine the work done for that would basically take care of gyro sensing for a console as well, even if it's a totally different game.

SuperSah

Banned
Well, I did hear from someone who (apparently and I say apparently loosely) played the game that they thought it was 60fps.

But of course anyone can say anything and there's no truth to it until we see tomorrow I guess.

I'd be surprised if it was less than 60. Doom was specifically made to target 60fps. They wouldn't even bother otherwise.

I wouldn't assume that it automatically followed that if Doom was 60, then Wolf would be too. The developers could make different decisions, Wolf 2 could be slightly more demanding to the point where they think the drop to 30 with a higher res is a better decision than a fluctuating 45-60 at a terrible res, for example.

It would bode very well for Wolf 2 being 60, but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

Plum

It'll be ok. That's still like double the pixel density of a 3DS game.

200.gif

960x540 @ 6.2" (Switch) = 177.65 PPI

400x240 @ 4.88" (N3DS) = 95.59 PPI

Close though. And yeah, it's still an improvement.

heringer

I wouldn't assume that it automatically followed that if Doom was 60, then Wolf would be too. The developers could make different decisions, Wolf 2 could be slightly more demanding to the point where they think the drop to 30 with a higher res is a better decision than a fluctuating 45-60 at a terrible res, for example.

It would bode very well for Wolf 2 being 60, but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

Makes sense.

However, if Doom is indeed 60 fps, I think I'll hold my Wolf 2 purchase on PC until they show more of the Switch version.

jamonbread

Neo Member

I wish they'd included an infrared sensor bar like the Wii. I can't imagine gyro controls being as effective on the Switch when having to manually reset during game play.

Vena

Well, I did hear from someone who (apparently and I say apparently loosely) played the game that they thought it was 60fps.

But of course anyone can say anything and there's no truth to it until we see tomorrow I guess.

But how would he know if the human eye can only perceive 30? Is he a robot!?

200.gif

960x540 @ 6.2" (Switch) = 177.65 PPI

400x240 @ 4.88" (N3DS) = 95.59 PPI

Close though. And yeah, it's still an improvement.

Lawd the 3DS resolution is foul. The DS wasn't too awful for 2004 but by 2011 standards the 3DS was positively ancient - when not using 3D it was rendering at a lower res on the top screen than the PSP was.

k41m

Tomorrow can't come soon enough, must be some rendering framerate issue with the real life gpu.

I'm dying at 10 fps.

Plum

Lawd the 3DS resolution is foul. The DS wasn't too awful for 2004 but by 2011 standards the 3DS was positively ancient - when not using 3D it was rendering at a lower res on the top screen than the PSP was.

Yeah, if there's one reason for me wanting the 3DS to die it's the resolution. Even on my small N3DS (with a slightly better PPI of 120.23) the aliasing is highly noticeable.

As an aside, the original Doom would have been a good fit for the 3DS. It's a slight shame how iD's stopped officially putting Doom on everything, I still like playing it from time to time but I'd love it on a portable like the Duke port on Vita.

This has honestly been one of the funniest threads in a long while.

I'll miss the comedic humour once we get the final word. :(

BRB gonna get a flight to iD and change the "Make 60fps = 1" line to "Make 60fps = 0" so it can be 30fps and the comedic humour can continue on forever.

Top Bottom