• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
People are putting the future of Switch on the performance of Doom. Is 60fps going to mean the system gets tons of future ports? Will 30fps doom it to hell? People don't even seem interested in hearing the previews or seeing the game run on Switch. They just care about the frame rate.

I haven't played it, but I know people that have and I've chatted with them about the game.

I do freelance work and have a Youtube channel where I post gameplay footage.

We dont care about frames we wanna know whats on the potato

MDave

What if it has user selectable 2 modes?

30fps with a higher resolution (900p docked, 648p handheld)
60fps with lower resolution (720p docked, 540p handheld)

Dynamic resolutions to keep as close to their target fps, and adaptive vsync.

That would satisfy both user groups, even though the 30fps group will be smaller by a larger margin :p

OCD Guy

I need some clarification, if you had a dream game, lets call id MOOD. And you tried this special dream game. Did her run a 30fps or 60fps? Remember, we're talking about MOOD.

It's 30fps without a doubt. The fact he said 60fps is setting your expectation to the moon says it all....

Obviously he can't confirm 30fps but he doesn't have to.

I'd understand if people were saying they wanted an identical version to PS4 but we're talking about having drastically reduced graphics to get 60fps and expectations are still too high...

Y'all buggin

Chill da fuck out
[
latest

NateDrake

It's 30fps without a doubt. The fact he said 60fps is setting your expectation to the moon says it all....

Obviously he can't confirm 30fps but he doesn't have to.

Wrong. Expectation are set to the moon because ya'll think Doom is the foundation of all future Switch support.

EDarkness

Haha, I'm in no way confirming 30fps.

I don't know, man. If expecting a game that is 60fps normally to be 60fps is expecting the moon, then I think that says a lot about what the final product is going to be like.

Wrong. Expectation are set to the moon because ya'll think Doom is the foundation of all future Switch support.

Are folks really doing that, though? I think this is just one little piece in the larger puzzle, but maybe that's just me.

OCD Guy

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

60fps confirmed then lol.

No but seriously I know what you mean, I don't think Doom is the game that will determine the future of the Switch, although I do think sales of 3rd party games in general will.

I personally think the end goal is a return on investment, it doesn't matter if Doom is 60fps or 20fps, if the game doesn't sell (along with Skyrim and Wolfenstein) then Bethesda and other third party devs will think twice about releasing certain games.

I don't want the Switch to end up as a glorified indie and Nintendo machine...

People said NBA 2K would suck because it was 30fps and not 60fps like on PS4.

As it happens, it plays really well and looks great to boot.

Switch running a true next gen game like Doom at 30fps (if that is the case) isn't something to be upset about. It's great that Switch is getting that game in the first place and it doesn't take a genius to work out that compromises will have to be made.

EDarkness

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

60fps confirmed then lol.

No but seriously I know what you mean, I don't think Doom is the game that will determine the future of the Switch, although I do think sales of 3rd party games in general will.

I personally think the end goal is a return on investment, it doesn't matter if Doom is 60fps or 20fps, if the game doesn't sell (along with Skyrim and Wolfenstein) then Bethesda and other third party devs will think twice about releasing certain games.

I don't want the Switch to end up as a glorified indie and Nintendo machine...

If the game doesn't sell, then I would hope they try to find out why.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I don't think that there are many people who say this though.

The most common idea is that if Bethesda manages to make Doom to run at 60 fps on Switch that means that most games could be ported to Switch, if there is a will. Not necessarily running also at 60 fps.

Plus, porting being possible doesn't mean that they will happen, that being a business decision.

OCD Guy

If the game doesn't sell, then I would hope they try to find out why.

Well I think the conclusion would likely be that there isn't a market for those types of game on a Nintendo platform.

I don't think it would ever boil down to framerate. People on forums like this are a minority. The typical consumer doesn't give a shit (or even know) about framerate etc.

It's like going on a forum such as AVS where members talk about backlight bleed, uniformity, calibration etc, when again the average consumer buys an lcd, keeps it in Dynamic and watches SD....

Luigiv

Guys it is 60fps.

negative 60fps for ultimate slideshow action
Actually, negative 60fps wouldn't be a slide show at all. It would be just as smooth as 60fps but with everything running in reverse.

The ultimate slideshow would be 1/60 fps (as in one frame per minute).

EDarkness

Well I think the conclusion would likely be that there isn't a market for those types of game on a Nintendo platform.

I don't think it would ever boil down to framerate. People on forums like this are a minority. The typical consumer doesn't give a shit (or even know) about framerate etc.

It's like going on a forum such as AVS where members talk about backlight bleed, uniformity, calibration etc, when again the average consumer buys an lcd, keeps it in Dynamic and watches SD....

Bad word of mouth can change lots of perceptions, especially when we're talking about the folks who would actually be the market for games like this. If lots of folks were going, "Damn, this game is awesome as hell, pick it up!" then that leads to folks jumping on the train and telling others to do so. Anecdotally, I had friends get Breath of the Wild who never played a Zelda game before due to it getting great reviews and so many people saying it was great. If this DOOM port gets the, "It's terrible, don't buy it!" vibe from folks, then that will surely change the perception as to whether folks will pick it up or not. Maybe they won't understand why it was that way, but it won't change the overall gamer "feeling" about it and that can affect sales.

Baltic

Banned
Dumb question over here:

I never played wolfenstein since the original one. If I plan to buy Doom, would you say the games are too much alike to justify buying wolfenstein?

I think this game surprised a lot of people, I doubt people expected Bethesda to go this far in to support Switch. On the surface it seem to mean a brighter future to some people wanting expect the floodgates to open up after this.

Cerium

Dumb question over here:

I never played wolfenstein since the original one. If I plan to buy Doom, would you say the games are too much alike to justify buying wolfenstein?

They're as different as two games in the same genre can be.

Totally totally different.

Expecting a game to run at 60fps isn't settimg expectations very high. Publishers do this shit to by not just being upfront. Just answer everyones questiins. Instead you embargo an embargo and then wonder why people suddenly are restless.

It'll be 30fps. Not a surprise really.

Painguy

I played Doom on PC at around 25-30ish fps. I think its one of the GOAT. Yall dont need to worry. 30fps is still pimp as fuck for this game.

Guys NateDrake isn't confirming anything lol. He's just saying to keep your expectations in check. It could be 60 but it won't be 1:1 with the PS4 version, that's all.

OCD Guy

There's no enemies in that picture.... "reduced enemies by 80% confirmed"

Sony headset too,..."PS Vita 2 confirmed"

You also don't look too happy in that one..."Shitty port confirmed"

Baltic

Banned
Well thanks for that. I guess that other thread with the seatle nazi has gotten me interested in new colossus after all.

Top Bottom