• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

Cerium

Wonder whether it'll still be 60FPS.

We'll find out soon. The press is playing the game right now.

DJpuejFV4AA_FxQ.jpg:large

Impressions will probably be up tomorrow latest.

That's awesome; I've been wishing the devs would let you download the campaign on its own on other platforms, too. I love the game, but the file size is ridiculous and I'm never ever going to touch the multiplayer.

Are there any id Tech games that aren't 60fps? IIRC all the games dynamically scale the resolution to keep 60fps.

Yeah, but you can go lower on PC and a 30fps target framerate would be much easier for the Switch to maintain. I'd be stoked with 60, but I'm expecting 30.

It only says the optional download is for the physical version, and you don't install games on the Switch. I don't know why this is being received so posivitively. Am I reading this thing wrong?

BigDug13

Guess that means I'm getting the physical game. Don't want all the unnecessary crap on my SD card.

DOOM at 30fps would be a huge bummer. Really hoping they can get it to 60fps. If it's 60fps I don't expect over 720p.

I don't care if the game's dynamic resolution ends up at 240p. I want 60fps.

I'd rather have snap map over multiplayer. Regardless I'm glad the multiplayer isn't a required download
It only says the optional download is for the physical version, and you don't install games on the Switch. I don't know why this is being received so posivitively. Am I reading this thing wrong?
The last thing Doom 2016 is revered for is its multiplayer

lawnchair

Banned
i was going to not buy this because of storage concerns, but this news is pushing me towards the double dip .. good show bethesda.

I'd rather have snap map over multiplayer. Regardless I'm glad the multiplayer isn't a required download

The last thing Doom 2016 is revered for is its multiplayer
right but his point is that its an optional download when you buy the cart. digital downloads dont seem to have it as optional. Thats the only place it would be a benefit. If you buy the cart you are better off having everything on the cart than anything as a download.

rockyt

I can honestly say after buying Doom on launch day I have never touch the multiplayer. I just play different sections of doom over and over and different difficulty but have not have the time to sit in front of my PC to play it. This being on the go is a game changer as I can kill more demons on the go lol and not care for the multiplayer.

right but his point is that its an optional download when you buy the cart. digital downloads dont seem to have it as optional. Thats the only place it would be a benefit. If you buy the cart you are better off having everything on the cart than anything as a download.
Yep. Everyone is acting like they are helping people save space on their Switch, when they are really making anyone who buys physical and might want to play MP take up more space on their Switch.

God dammit. I wish it was like this for PS4. I would've actually kept the game installed on the damn thing. But nooooo, it took up 80 fuckin' gigs of space.
Nintendo doing it right.

Yep. Everyone is acting like they are helping people save space on their Switch, when they are really making anyone who might want to play MP take up more space on their Switch.

Glad people finally caught on. The only way this actually benefits the consumer is if the lower cost of the cart is actually reflected in the MSRP; otherwise, it either doesn't make a difference or is an inconvenience.

Seik

Banned
I'm ok with this as the campaign is the crux of the game, Multiplayer, when servers will be down years down the line, will be worthless wasted space on the cartridge.

Opa-Pa

Thank the heavens, Doom is the only game I constantly delete and then install again due to its absurd size.

Now please confirm 60fps so I can double dip in peace.

ASaiyan

Banned
Nintendo got Bethesda to back off an 80 gig install filled with shit nobody uses.

The Switch is now literally doing good for the industry, lol.

Great compromise. Single player on the cart and ready to go is great. If I want to do some multi online, I'll obviously need to download updates online, so it's not too bothersome.

Now let's hope we get some motion controls for aiming. Splatoon 2 spoiled me good.

rudger

I'm shocked to hear how much people disliked the multiplayer. I haven't played this game yet. Guess I always assumed people would like the multiplayer and if you've got a portable system that you'd want that feature for local multiplayer. Sounds like this is ok for this game but I'm still hoping some developers include local wireless multiplayer on their carts.

Top Bottom