• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

Teppic

Not a fan of the trend to have content cut from the carts. Best solution for this game to go with the full SP at least. However, it does devalue the game for me in general when the whole game is mot included. Makes me think twice about buying.

If they get this running at 60fps I'm double dipping for sure. This and Wolfenstein 2 coming to Switch was a big surprise but it definitely shows how well the Switch is doing, with big AAA games being ported to it.

DOOM is one of my favourite shooters this gen, they nailed making a modern DOOM, without losing the classic feel.

Zedark

Great way of circumnavigating the size restraints imo. If I were to buy it, I'd never touch the multiplayer myself, so I'm really happy with their choice.

Intel_89

Considering there aren't a whole lot of shooters on the Switch right now the Doom MP has room to become something big despite being quite a flawed experience.

120v

really surprised they bothered with MP at all. but then again it seems decently populated on the rare occasion i dick around with it (on PC, no less). so maybe it's not quite the flop its reputation makes it out to be

Metalmarc

This is fantastic

Obviously its gonna be full price cos they gonna end up using a 32gb Switch card, will give Multiplayer a go in LAN mode if I can convince everyone I know who games to buy a Switch this xmas

Oh oh oh, most importantly bots everyone, Doom has bots fyi.

Doooooooom

orborborb

I think its more that no one really wants to play doom for the MP. So it just becomes a waste of storage space for people because updates usually apply only to multiplayer stuff and really inflates the game size.

Doom 2016 multiplayer is my all-time favorite FPS multiplayer and I've played just about every one of them since Rise of the Triad and Marathon 1 in '94. Marathon Infinity, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Crysis 2, Halo 4 & 5, Destiny 1, Titanfall 1, and CoD Advanced Warfare are the only ones I've played for more than 50 hours or so though. In these sorts of games I always hate the modes for "casual" players and the modes for "tournament/esports" or strong team coordination stuff, so if you don't fall into either of those categories give it a shot. Freeze Tag is my favorite mode.

sphinx

the piano man
Not a fan of the trend to have content cut from the carts. Best solution for this game to go with the full SP at least. However, it does devalue the game for me in general when the whole game is mot included. Makes me think twice about buying.

me neither but in this case, it seems that the portion of the game that's being cut can be downloaded for free. the choice of actually downloading it is yours, so if you don't care for MP, you save space

I see no downsides to this solution,

A shame that Snap Map got cut. I would take that over the worthless PVP mode any day. Good to hear that the physical copy will allow me to ignore the terrible PVP more easily.

Raide

A shame that Snap Map got cut. I would take that over the worthless PVP mode any day. Good to hear that the physical copy will allow me to ignore the terrible PVP more easily.

Wait, they cut it? It could be the adult Mario Maker for DOOM. I guess they have to with the MP side being a separate download but the custom map stuff could be huge!

Wait, they cut it? It could be the adult Mario Maker for DOOM. I guess they have to with the MP side being a separate download but the custom map stuff could be huge!

The Engadget article certainly makes it sound like Snap Map won't be in this version but their wording is weird so I could be wrong.
Either way, people should definitely be bummed if it's true because that means once you're done with the campaign you're probably done with the game. While the campaign is very replayable I don't think it's unfair to say that a lot of people are going to get what they want from the campaign by playing through it once.

And just to reiterate what I've said previously, the PVP mode is BAD. It's amazing how something that sounds so good on paper can be such a waste. I cannot stress this enough: If you install the PVP mode you will literally be wasting space on your Switch.

Raide

The Engadget article certainly makes it sound like Snap Map won't be in this version but their wording is weird so I could be wrong.
Either way, people should definitely be bummed if it's true because that means once you're done with the campaign you're probably done with the game. While the campaign is very replayable I don't think it's unfair to say that a lot of people are going to get what they want from the campaign by playing through it once.

And just to reiterate what I've said previously, the PVP mode is BAD. It's amazing how something that sounds so good on paper can be such a waste. I cannot stress this enough: If you install the PVP mode you will literally be wasting space on your Switch.

Especially with the MP side being an optional download, if people don't grab it, the SP side things will get wrapped up pretty quick. I guess the one side of Snap Map is being able to make cool new content and share it, which seems perfect for Switch.

Intel_89

This game is going to be $60 for a visual downgrade version of a game that has been $20 on the regular all year.

You can grab Doom for PS4 for less than £10 used over here if you really look for it, but yeah the portable factor and the fact that there hasn't been a new Doom on a Nintendo console since the N64 will shift a couple of copies.

You can grab Doom for PS4 for less than £10 used over here if you really look for it, but yeah the portable factor and the fact that there hasn't been a new Doom on a Nintendo console since the N64 will shift a couple of copies.

Speaking of N64 maybe this opens the door for some virtual console support? I mean, for better or worse there's the SNES ver of Wolfenstein 3D and there's the GBA ver; there's the SNES ver of Doom and there's the GBA ver; then there's the GBA ver of Doom 2, the N64 ver of Hexen, Doom 64 and Quake 64.

Baleoce

As someone who has awful internet and appreciates non patch heavy gaming, that's a really good idea. It's practical, and solves the cartridge space issue for them.

Mark1

What is Nintendo even doing these days? This sort of announcement is definitely not expected and is a massively positive sign for the Switch this year and beyond.
Can't believe they have Mario, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim Remastered and Doom for Christmas. That's crazy.

Bluth54

me neither but in this case, it seems that the portion of the game that's being cut can be downloaded for free. the choice of actually downloading it is yours, so if you don't care for MP, you save space

I see no downsides to this solution,

It's pretty easy for me to come up with multiple downsides off the top of my head.
It could take a really long time to download if you have slow Internet, depending on how large the download is it could take up a lot of your data cap if you have one and you may need to pay extra for a microSD card if it doesn't fit in the available Switch on board memory.

Frodo

I actually... like this? I rarely bother playing multiplayer. Makes sense to keep a feature that requires Internet connection to be downloaded, instead of the main campaign.

(Of course, having the whole game in the card would be the ideal situation, but if we are going to compromise, this seems like an smart solution)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I haven't fired up MP once on PC. I know it used to be mediocre at best, but is it any better now?

This game is going to be $60 for a visual downgrade version of a game that has been $20 on the regular all year.

A shame to be sure, but welcome to late ports of AAA games. No doubt it'll come down in price after a while.

anddo0

Does the Switch support Vulkan Api?

If so that should help performance wise.
I really hope they can reach 60FPS even if it comes with compromises.

That's how it should be. I was worried about that because DOOM's HDD space on my PS4 was ridiculous thanks to forcing me to download the patches because the unpatched game ran awful.

Ninja Dom

Speaking of N64 maybe this opens the door for some virtual console support? I mean, for better or worse there's the SNES ver of Wolfenstein 3D and there's the GBA ver; there's the SNES ver of Doom and there's the GBA ver; then there's the GBA ver of Doom 2, the N64 ver of Hexen, Doom 64 and Quake 64.

Quake 2 also on N64.

Top Bottom