• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I remember when people cited Doom as an example of why third parties would never support a cartridge based console with AAA games, and Blu Ray would continue to be the future of game media.

Then I remember I predicted switch would fail at that price and said I would never buy a console near launch, and silently go back to play my Switch while eating crow.

LordKano

Now I'm worried as I was about to pick up digitally...

Bethesda told Engadget that the Switch port of Doom will have all the updates and DLC released for the original game except for the SnapMap level editor.

What kind of DLC are we talking about ?

Does the Switch support Vulkan Api?

If so that should help performance wise.
I really hope they can reach 60FPS even if it comes with compromises.
It was 30 in the trailer. Looked a bit blurry too so I'm curious what resolution they have to run it at to maintain that performance.

Now I'm worried as I was about to pick up digitally...

What kind of DLC are we talking about ?

The only paid DLC was for the multiplayer, new maps and demonic transformations.

There were a few free additions added later, improvements to load times and navigation through the different modes was a pain on PS4 at launch, and I'm 99.9% sure the arcade mode was added as free DLC, it's basically where you just reply the campaign levels with a scoring system, so that should be in too.

Santar

It's a shame if SnapMap isn't included, there's been some good official single player levels released there amongst player created stuff. Added a lot of replayability for the game.

Gaf is so weird. I came in expecting outrage for it all not being on a cartridge but instead you guys are content. There's not much debate at all, I came in here expecting a blood bath with a trail of blood and bans.

Oh well... Looks like sensible Gaf wins the day. I wish sensible Gaf would wield its beautiful head more often.

FPS really isn't my thing but Doom is near and dear to my heart. I'm going to wait and see how launch goes along with some other stuff before I decide to dive in.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I suggested this a few weeks ago regarding NBA and a few people slammed me for such a ludicrous idea. Great to see its getting more support.

Seik

Banned
Gaf is so weird. I came in expecting outrage for it all not being on a cartridge but instead you guys are content. There's not much debate at all, I came in here expecting a blood bath with a trail of blood and bans.

Oh well... Looks like sensible Gaf wins the day. I wish sensible Gaf would wield its beautiful head more often.

FPS really isn't my thing but Doom is near and dear to my heart. I'm going to wait and see how launch goes along with some other stuff before I decide to dive in.

That's mainly because the multiplayer part is not very appreciated. So people only see this as a minor setback.

The campaign is what made Doom excellent.

Level creator is a bit of a bigger lost, imo. But I can deal with it.

Mithos

Every game EVER should do it this way, and the ability to not download any language option other then the one you want.

JoeInky

I don't know anyone that actually cares about the multiplayer portion of DOOM, I've not touched the multiplayer on PC once.

I wouldn't care if they didn't even bother with the multiplayer to be honest, it doesn't seem worth it.

Considering how much the game bloated up on people's hard drives, the multiplayer being an optional download is a relief.

coljae

Love it, love it, love it. Only game I've ever disabled automatic updates manually. Hopefully something that will propagate into other games.

I suggested this a few weeks ago regarding NBA and a few people slammed me for such a ludicrous idea. Great to see its getting more support.

Well I don't see how that would work for a game like NBA. The SP campaign and the MP in Doom are two clearly distinct things.

MP in NBA is still using the same assets as the SP (teams, courts, commentary, etc)

Fbh

That's a great idea.

Anyway, as a new Switch user this might be as good a place as any to ask.

What's a good micro SD to get for the Switch? Is it worth it investing in the fast ones or should I just get ones of those regular 80 Mb/s ones?

That's a great idea.

Anyway, as a new Switch user this might be as good a place as any to ask.

What's a good micro SD to get for the Switch? Is it worth it investing in the fast ones or should I just get ones of those regular 80 Mb/s ones?

I got this one when it was on sale a bit (I think close to $60), I still feel like it's the best value size, speed and price wise.

Veal

If they've somehow managed to get the game running at a high frame rate and have implemented gyro controls, the gyro controls alone would be enough for ps4 and Xbox one owners to take a look at this port. It being DOOM portable is everyone else's. Insane that this is happening at all. Like a reverse n64 era "Dream Team" announcement!

poodaddy

That's the right way to do it. I adore the game but I never even curiously peered into the multiplayer, so for me this is a great solution.

jrcbandit

I might buy this just because the multiplayer is an optional download. I never finished it on PC and can't redownload it since the game is massive in size nowadays from the multiplayer BS and I'm limited in space with my 512 gb SSD, as I refuse to uninstall my other games just to play Doom. Buying an Oculus really filled up my SSD lol.

Any guess on pricing? $40 would seem fair for an older game, but the 32gb cartridge is expensive so I suspect $50 at the cheapest.

SteveWD40

Out of interest, is there offline / bot based MP? I usually wouldn't but on a handheld it can add a little (and was great on KZ Vita).

Based on...absolutely nothing?

The MP is not well liked on the other platforms, what do you think making the MP an optional download will do? Also, it's made more difficult as it requires people to have to have extra space available to get. Lot of people are not gonna bother, and the the MP already isn't very popular in the first place. MP DOOM on Switch is gonna be barren player wise

Top Bottom