• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

Any guess on pricing? $40 would seem fair for an older game, but the 32gb cartridge is expensive so I suspect $50 at the cheapest.

I'm expecting it will cost $60, like Skyrim. I'm fine with that personally. Portable DOOM is worth paying full price for (well full price minus any GCU or Amazon Prime discount of course.)

Symbiotx

That's an interest idea to save space. I never touched the multiplayer on PS4

I like that it's an optional download, but it's a shame if people don't try it. I hated the beta, but I played a ton recently when all the DLC went free. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

More than 20GB and it's not staying on on my system... for long. I mean I've got 90GB of free space, but it'll be the first thing dying when I need it.

Wouldn't be such a problem with Nintendo added some sort of external storage swapping system to the dock - obviously not playing off the external storage, but being able to archive games too and from the external storage, so we can just swap which games we want to keep on our Switches without redownloading everything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there an official explanation why SnapMap isn't included? I'd have liked to play with that.

Also, even though I'm getting the Mario Switch bundle (Hopefully) I'd totally throw that aside for a DOOM bundle with the same red controllers, a red console (Why the heck doesn't the Mario one have a red console?) and a box with that same box art on it.

Really looking forward to putting that awesome box with my other DOOM boxes for my Jaguar, 32X, Saturn, PSX big box DOOM, PSX small case Final DOOM and GBA DOOM games and my SNES and N64 carts.

I like DOOM.

I don't suppose they could also put the original two games in the package as well.

Now we just need to convince Sega to give us a physical Sonic Mania too. (With a Sonic blue cartridge please.)

FyreWulff

Is there an official explanation why SnapMap isn't included? I'd have liked to play with that.

it's probably some boring reason like Snapmap being only used by about 1-2% of the PS4/Xbox userbase so they're not gonna spend the money to port it

edit: oh, snap map is crossplatform, so Switch probably couldn't download most of the snapmaps if their memory usage is maxed out. maybe it'll come later?

Eolz

I wouldn't be surprised if it asked way more time and effort to port. It's harder to test something like this than multiplayer or single player.
I wish it was there too, but it's already fantastic like this tbh, wonder how long it took them, and how big the team was.

Neiteio

They could always add SnapMap as free DLC down the road or something. Maybe high sales will encourage them to support this long-term.

Zomba13

Good way to save space. I actually thought the MP was fine but I can totally see some people not wanting it especially if you really just want Doom on the go and won't even be playing the MP. Cutting the MP and Snapmap stuff is the smartest way to save space while still letting people get the MP if they want.

DOOM 2016 but portable and with an optional multiplayer installment? Did... did the Switch just get the definitive version of DOOM?

Vita has the full featured game and its portable :D

Switch version is probably 30fps so its the worst version by far.

And the wording still feels like the MP-patch will autodownload as soon as you insert the Switch card.

I wish it was reversed. If I choose to download it I would prefer to download only the campaign unless I choose to also download multiplayer. If I have the cartridge I would expect everything to be on it.

From the business side of things, this would make little sense. The majority of people who would be playing Single Player only play it because they lack the online to play Multiplayer, so that negates the concept of locking Single player behind a download.

This is why you often see Day 1 patches focus squarely on Multiplayer issues with games now adays. The people that will be most affected are those that will be able to grab the patch. There's no point in fixing issues for people that would otherwise be unaffected.

Producer

And the wording still feels like the MP-patch will autodownload as soon as you insert the Switch card.

lol..streaming is easily the worst possible way to play this type of game

Blues1990

I'm fine with this. The campaign is what I want to play the most, and the fact that you can take the game anywhere is an additional bonus.

Plus, it would be very funny to see someones reaction when you're tearing the spine out of a large demon.

I might buy this just because the multiplayer is an optional download. I never finished it on PC and can't redownload it since the game is massive in size nowadays from the multiplayer BS and I'm limited in space with my 512 gb SSD, as I refuse to uninstall my other games just to play Doom. Buying an Oculus really filled up my SSD lol.

Any guess on pricing? $40 would seem fair for an older game, but the 32gb cartridge is expensive so I suspect $50 at the cheapest.

It'll be full price 60 bucks I'm sure, we dont actually know its on a 32gb cart though do we? Wouldnt be surprised if they can compress down the single player into 16gb

Blues1990

I wonder how all these Bethesda ports are gonna do and whether they'll lead to more third parties bringing their titles to the system.

Who knows. I'm just happy that we are going to get some solid ports of some of the best FPS's that have been released this generation. While I wish The New Order & Old Blood was included with the Switch port of The New Colossus, that's the only minor gripe that I have.

MTC100

Banned
That's perfect. If you want to play the online multiplayer you'd need an online connection and if you don't have one why would you want an online multiplayer.

It's also good that you have the choice to not download it if you are not interested of course.

That said, I truly wonder if they really saved that much space by not including the MP, seems a bit silly as most stuff in the MP should be on the cartridge as assets anyway?

Having to be connected to Wi-fi kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable version. Also Doom is designed to run at 60fps. No way they're targeting below that.

Cerium

Every part of this post is wrong.

Every part of this post is wrong.
The last part seems like it could be right, though... unless they implement it as a free DLC you can download from the eShop (which I hope is the approach they take, but given it automatically downloads with the download version I don't have my hopes up for it not being a regular patch).

The problem with multiplayer in Doom 2016 is just how sloppy it feels, lag plays a very important role and even with a stable connection you can get into battles where you die after they die because of a lag rocket, it just seems rough around the edges.

I'd prefer the original quake 3 arena engine over what doom is using.

Neiteio

I like the multiplayer, but since I'm trying to manage my digital collection's space, it'd be nice if we could just download the single-player. That's the main thing I would want to replay again.

Top Bottom