• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Teaser Trailer Released by Bethesda, full unveil at QuakeCon

G-Fex

It would, but do we really need more games that fit into the modern shooter genre? A proper Doom 4 is exciting because there still aren't many games like the original Doom. Having a game that's pure, fast, all-out, badass, heavy metal fun...that would feel incredibly fresh. You just need to marry that gameplay with aspects that grab the modern gamer while not ruining what makes Doom cool.

Not so much of the modern shooter tropes or anything like that but the architecture and level layout itself could be merged with a few new things and work out right. The level design kinda might adapt to work in mix with a modern flair of detail cause of 3D mapping of Quake was pretty different than that of Doom. And you got jumping mechanics and freelook it could very well transfer best into modern day status of HD and other mechanics and all that. Not like Quake IV though. I'm talking Quake 1 based.

Though I'm just talking circumstantial it isn't the least bit likely to happen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not so much of the modern shooter tropes or anything like that but the architecture and level layout itself could be merged with a few new things and work out right. The level design kinda might adapt to work in mix with a modern flair of detail cause of 3D mapping of Quake was pretty different than that of Doom. And you got jumping mechanics and freelook it could very well transfer best into modern day status of HD and other mechanics and all that. Not like Quake IV though. I'm talking Quake 1 based.

Though I'm just talking circumstantial it isn't the least bit likely to happen.

I would be just happy with a souped up version of Quake 2. Just add a bit more complexity to the maps and we are done.

As much as I like Doom, I'm going to be very skeptical about this. Doom 3 was a good game when it came out, but looking back, it definitely did not have the same appeal as doom 1+2.

It would, but do we really need more games that fit into the modern shooter genre? A proper Doom 4 is exciting because there still aren't many games like the original Doom. Having a game that's pure, fast, all-out, badass, heavy metal fun...that would feel incredibly fresh. You just need to marry that gameplay with aspects that grab the modern gamer while not ruining what makes Doom cool.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for.

Ixion

My greatest fear is they try to hard to be CoD with all the cinematic set pieces.

That's apparently what they were doing before they scrapped the game and started over three years ago. So it most likely won't turn out like that.

In fact, when discussing the direction for the rebooted project, John Carmack said "Doom means two things: demons and shotguns."

But he's not a designer and he also left the company, so who knows how it turned out. We'll see in a few weeks...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's literally all I want from a DOOM game. Demons and shotguns. No bald marines. No convoluted story. No removal of religion in order to make it aliens or zombies. And no stupid 2-weapon limit. If I want to carry a pistol, two shotguns, chain gun, rocket launcher, plasma gun and big freaking BFG9000 all at once, then let me.

Also keycards. Brightly colored keycards and mazes.

G-Fex

That's literally all I want from a DOOM game. Demons and shotguns. No bald marines. No convoluted story. No removal of religion in order to make it aliens or zombies. And no stupid 2-weapon limit. If I want to carry a pistol, two shotguns, chain gun, rocket launcher, plasma gun and big freaking BFG9000 all at once, then let me.

Also keycards. Brightly colored keycards and mazes.

will buzz cuts be ok?

cCbCEGy.jpg

RIP Daisy

BouncyFrag

Very cool. I'm in Dallas so might check this out. The last time I went was when they did a Skyrim reveal that was amazeballs. I can only imagine the vibe for this one.

Top Bottom