• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 is hemorrhaging players.

Maximo

Haven't played since the last champion release myself, don't think the game has recieved any interesting updates in a long time.

Tworak

na winning ti confirms dead game

Haven't played since the last champion release myself, don't think the game has recieved any interesting updates in a long time.

image.php

I see where you're allegiances lie.

Just kidding!

But to be honest the custom games have been amazing. I've had more fun with them than the main game for a little while now.

Bilix

Guess I'm part of the numbers. After being heavily invested in TI5, I've barely touched the game and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the contrast between how great the matches were in TI5 and how friendly and very one was at the event, to how shitty most of the games I play are and how vile the community is in game. It's like I've seen what Dota could be, and realized I'll never come close to experiencing that.

How is that "haemorrhaging players"?

Surely by the same token, CSGO is "haemorrhaging players" based on the same dip currently - http://steamcharts.com/app/730

Same with TF2 - http://steamcharts.com/app/440

Meaningful events are not currently ongoing and school folk are back on term time. There are probably a bunch of other reasons too.

Probably one of the few sensible posts in this thread. Concurrent users does not accurately portray the games popularity, nor do they show numbers from China who use a separate client. I think a games popularity can be more accurately gauged by comparing unique player counts per month. OP is lazy and baiting hard.

Skinpop

Something is weird with the charts. The custom one (top) and the all time one (bottom) differ. The drop in the all time charts around September disappears when you set the custom chart to all time. (The TF2 and CSGO charts have the exact same problem)

dotagaf18ks2a.png

I think the bottom charts somehow bases the number of players in September on the minimum amount of players in the 24 h cycle.

dotagaf2t6sfm.png

If you take the last three months, it seems like September's numbers (right) are similar to the numbers of July (left). July has min 780K max 870K players per day, September min 680K max 890K

dotagaf3ggsea.png

EDIT: The %gain is broken for September (at least right now). Look at the 3 months chart of GS:GO, Its clear that September has more players than August. But the %gain from August to September is negative.

http://steamcharts.com/app/730#3m

somehow this excellent post has been ignored.

Manners

Neo Member
Concurrent players may be down due to the game not having had major content updates since March or so while the team worked on Source 2.

Unique players per month remain as high as ever, which I think is a better indicator of how well the game is doing.

Once the issues with the engine update are ironed out and new heroes and events are added things will go back to normal.

I would advise people come back to this thread during Diretide and compare populations then.

Vitor711

I honestly think this is the case.

I imagine a decent portion of the fanbase especially younger ones or players in poorer countries will struggle with this new version.

The new engine was meant to actually lower the requirements. And it has for a lot of people. Most of the complaints I've seen about performance come from those who well surpassed the minimum recommendations.

I haven't played since the Ethernet port on my laptop went kaputs because the my WiFi made my matches lag fests.

How much has changed in the last year?

Top Bottom