• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 is hemorrhaging players.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
well i don't really care that you disagree, i think it's insane to say that a piece of software as consistently buggy as reborn is in an okay state and ready for millions of dollars to depend on it.

Consistently as buggy for the eternity of 20 days that it has been released(and yet lots of people had games without game breaking problems in that time frame) lmao if that's not hyperbole then I don't even know what the word means.

Really have some perspective and look at the past 20 days and all the bugs that have come and gone and measure the time it took for every bug to be fixed.

I think it's insane that people still don't understand a lick about software when we have this giant history of games online having a tendency to break hard.
It's not like that the people working on that kind of stuff are stupid, far from it.
I mean shouldn't people understand by now that, that stuff is just insanely hard to really control?

Look at damn WoW expansion those are no different.
And it's not like every dev that ever launched something involving mass online play thought to themselves "yeah let's rush this out just because".
No in most cases there is a clear logical reason for stuff not being caught, which simply is that millions of people using your stuff on a huge variety of configuration will just catch more broken stuff than any testing department ever could even if it might be something obvious.

So get over yourself don't be a fool like the diretide crybabies. Just stop playing for 1-2 months and come back to it.

Beardz

I've been playing less for the past few weeks, I don't really know why. I used to play about 3 - 4 games a day, now I'm playing 1 and sometimes I don't play at all.

Qassim

It's not even out of early access.

Oh so you're actually sticking to that? It's going to gain 980,000 more peak concurrent players once it gets out of early access? ARK is in early access and has 3x the concurrent player count of H1Z1 yet even that has no chance of reaching 1m concurrent players.

I've been playing less for the past few weeks, I don't really know why. I used to play about 3 - 4 games a day, now I'm playing 1 and sometimes I don't play at all.
That's just normal. Game doesn't have the freebie carrots (tradable drops) it used to have and the MOBA concept doesn't last long for everyone. Especially if you don't have friends to play with daily. Many have played for a month or two and never come back.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Consistently as buggy for the eternity of 20 days that it has been released(and yet lots of people had games without game breaking problems in that time frame) lmao if that's not hyperbole then I don't even know what the word means.

Really have some perspective and look at the past 20 days and all the bugs that have come and gone and measure the time it took for every bug to be fixed.

I think it's insane that people still don't understand a lick about software when we have this giant history of games online having a tendency to break hard.
It's not like that the people working on that kind of stuff are stupid, far from it.
I mean shouldn't people understand by now that, that stuff is just insanely hard to really control?

Look at damn WoW expansion those are no different.
And it's not like every dev that ever launched something involving mass online play thought to themselves "yeah let's rush this out just because".
No in most cases there is a clear logical reason for stuff not being caught, which simply is that millions of people using your stuff on a huge variety of configuration will just catch more broken stuff than any testing department ever could even if it might be something obvious.

So get over yourself don't be a fool like the diretide crybabies. Just stop playing for 1-2 months and come back to it.

why is 'consistently buggy over the 20 days since it's been out' not consistently buggy? I said myself that they're fixing bugs at a high rate. the fact that they have to frequently release more than one patch a day, often to fix things that earlier patches introduced makes my argument for me. the game is buggy as hell right now, and that's unacceptable for a game that valve expect million-dollar tournaments to be played on.

DeaviL

Banned
Its very fun to struggle to click on buggy hitboxes in a game about clicking on things.

Dota2 Dev Blog said:
Dota 2 Update - September 30th 2015
September 30, 2015 - Valve
- Fixed a bug with the new selection fixes in yesterday’s update that was often causing the selection raycast to use wrong positions, resulting in many cases where hitbox detection was often worse rather than better

Bam, hitboxes fixed.
See how little Valve cares sheeples?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
why is 'consistently buggy over the 20 days since it's been out' not consistently buggy? I said myself that they're fixing bugs at a high rate. the fact that they have to frequently release more than one patch a day, often to fix things that earlier patches introduced makes my argument for me. the game is buggy as hell right now, and that's unacceptable for a game that valve expect million-dollar tournaments to be played on.

It matters because 20 days is nothing for the type of behemoth that launching your game to millions of players is. It's actually more insane that the game works for a lot of people absolutely fine most of the time.

Bug fixes introducing new bugs is nothing new. It happened before and it got fixed before, like where have you been?
It's not even a Valve thing, stuff like this just happen with complex software.

Like I said get over it stop playing and come back later.
If you can't understand that there is no realistic scenario in which stuff breaking could have been avoided then I guess we're done.

I'm not even saying come back in 6 month but more like give them at least 2 months which is absolutely reasonable and it's not like you bought something broken to begin with like all those people that survived broken WoW expansion launches(who would have more of a case since they actually payed something).

Anyways have fun not accepting reality, I'm going to play a match now.

Did it reset MMR btw?

Been getting way more Abandons when playing solo since the change, at least one a game which is completely ruinous.

Also, did they tweak pathfinding? I'm getting stuck behind creeps more than I was

Hupsel

Ive been playing less and less just because games take soooo long to finish. One hour matches are not that fun anymore to me.

Its up year over year in every single month with 2015 raising the community compared to 2014.

In other words this is a non-issue and a bit of an exaggeration. Its going to fluctuate throughout the year and at some points it will be more active than others.

Oh so you're actually sticking to that? It's going to gain 980,000 more peak concurrent players once it gets out of early access? ARK is in early access and has 3x the concurrent player count of H1Z1 yet even that has no chance of reaching 1m concurrent players.

My analysis will be off because of two things:

SoE being sold off and losing Sony's strong support for consoles, and the drop off in interest for the DayZ genre.

H1Z1 has taken over DayZ, but in general, people seem to be moving onto other things. It will still end up being on of the highest played game on Steam once it's completed.

bounchfx

this is kind of hilarious

sure there's some issues with the update, and people are already having nostalgia fits about it, but it's undeniably a good update and will continue to improve at a rapid pace based on feedback. It's kind of expected that there be bumps along the way, and also expected that there's going to be some self entitled folk complaining that they're slightly inconvenienced for a bit of time.

i think the title is a bit of a hyperbole

but seriously valve fix the fucking dire barracks selection hitbox omfg

elyetis

And people thought Arkham knight pc release was a joke, when all that time it was only Rocksteady Studios who actually understood that people shouldn't be self entitled, and should participate in the beta test process to make it faster and more efficient.

Bootsy

Hopefully once the Source 2 transition is ironed out we'll get substantial updates to breath some new life into the game. 6.85 tweaked some numbers to influence the meta which is a nice band aid but we need new heroes or 6.83 -> 6.84 caliber additions.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

sheamus

I don't believe that the new engine has done any good when you consider that it causes The client and game to be less reliable with random problems. Dota Is already a chaotic game it needs a concrete client.

Hylian7

I don't believe that the new engine has done any good when you consider that it causes The client and game to be less reliable with random problems. Dota Is already a chaotic game it needs a concrete client.

Is it though? I can think of TONS of problems the Source 1 client had, some that were never even fixed until Source 2.

- Tinker March of the Machines from the edge of the map getting eaten by the edge of the map (never fixed until Source 2)
- Chen controlling Roshan
- Spectre's Desolate working on catapults with exactly one creep nearby (never fixed, but it doesn't matter since this was reworked in 6.85 anyway)
- Effigies causing your game to crash if you clicked on them
- Vengeful Spirit dying to creeps or towers causing the server to crash because it tried to give the negative Vengance Aura to the creeps or towers.
- Centaur Aghs causing people to get stuck on Undying Zombies.
- Servers having constant problems, they have actually been a lot better since Reborn was introduced.
- The infamous Pudge + Chen fountain hooking was unintentional and inconsistent with WC3 Dota behavior. It was left this way for years in Dota 2 until Na'Vi used it to win a match in TI3, then it was fixed on the next balance patch.
- Various bugs related to cosmetic items, including a Lone Druid bear's click hitbox being incorrect, couriers flying in their default "T" pose equivalent and having an incorrect hitbox, Enchantress projectiles flying all over the place, Pudge hook spinning around when you used it
- After something like 120 minutes in a match, the map would start to show all these random particle effects, making it seem like the map was imploding or something. This was never fixed and I don't know if it still exists in Source 2.
- This bug was never fixed in Source 1, and I haven't seen it yet in Source 2. It has always been there in Source 1 Dota. Basically the first time you see a hero come out of fog of war, they would do their spawn animation. Sometimes this would bug out and you would get weird things where Skeleton/Wraith King would be lying on the ground and sliding around. The spawn animation thing was an issue for some heroes, because for instance, Slark's spawn animation is extremely similar to his Dark Pact animation, and usually that's something important to know if he's used it or not before you go on him.
- The healing troll not moving out of the pull camp and instead just standing there and healing. This one was the source of frustration for many months. It was eventually fixed.
- Earth Spirit being stuck in "Rolling Boulder" form and unable to move. I don't know if this one was ever fixed for sure, but it was a fairly rare occurrence.
- Heroes sometimes getting stuck on each other and both of them were unable to move. I haven't seen this one happen in a few years though, so I think it was fixed.

Source 1 Dota was no saint, that's for damn sure.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RIP. I better sell all my hats before the market crashes because of depopulation.

Partition

Banned
I never played DOTA2 until the Source 2 update, but I haven't really encountered anything that has ruined the game for me or given me any grief (apart from Riki but you know, I'm new...). This seems confusing to me.

ahhh i remember back when i first started and I was so scared of Riki too. Just buy sentry wards as soon as the game starts and don't let it have an inch.

Maddrical

Yeah, this is hyperbole. I've played a fair bit on Source 2 and haven't had any issues aside from the dire barracks hitbox issue. Dota 2 isn't going to lose players anytime soon. I understand my experience isn't the same as others and lots of people have encountered issues, they will be fixed. I do think they should've given Reborn another month of polish but I understand why they released it.

Also what's with all the people who don't play MOBAs coming in this thread and shitting on MOBAs and their communities? It doesn't make you look any better than the people you're mocking.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine a lot are new players who started playing after TI but quit after dealing with all the issues new players face like nearly every game having a leaver, troll or flamer (often all 3). Dota would massively benefit from Overwatch, and harsher penalties for people who game ruin on purpose. Like tonight we had a QoP who complained all game and refused to fight with us a single time, he just did his own thing without contributing anything making it 4v5, he literally started being toxic within the first minute and I knew we'd most likely lose because of him and we did, after that I had no interest in playing another match and logged off. Low priority just doesn't cut it, if people knew they'd get a week, month or even permanent bans for being assholes they'd maybe stop being assholes.

And yeah, Reborn is buggy as shit right now.

Helmholtz

I'm not a very big fan of Reborn. I feel like they've reduced functionality in some areas, namely the armory and shop. It's just too cumbersome to browse. It looks nice, but using it isn't fun. I can see why it would turn people off a bit. When I load up Dota these days I pretty much immediately just try to find a match. I don't like looking through my items like I used to.
But the game is still the same old amazing game that I've spent thousands of hours playing. They'll iron out any remaining bugs and it will be fine. Source 2 feels pretty much the same to me on the current patch.
I'm not really too worried about the player base... I know first hand just how addicting and great the game is so there will always be people playing. I do want the game to be as big as it possibly can be though, so it would suck if the numbers continued to drop.

Bluth54

You can't trade or sell items that drop any more. Some can be gifted exactly once.

As someone who plays TF2 that is a pretty crazy change (though Valve made it so hats no longer randomly drop since March).

I guess Valve is making some pretty major test changes to the economies of their games.

It's a free game.

People will come and go as they please, when it's working better for them they'll be back.

The userbase of a free game is fickle like that. It's not a big deal unless nothing gets fixed and they don't come back.

Gorger

Haven't had any problems with Reborn, but I haven't really checked out inventory management yet. The main game is the same old, and I am enjoying exploring the custom games which is a nice change of pace. I am actually excited to see what the community will create in the future. I was a huge fan of StarCraft and Warcraft's custom made maps.

Hylian7

Is it because D2's meta is too stable?

LoL and HS keep changing it to freshen things (for better or worse).
Not at all. I would argue that Dota usually has bigger shake up patches than those two games. Icefrog did say ahead of time that 6.85 was more focused on balance than shaking things up though, which was what 6.86 would do.

Spectre got a buff and people are finally coming to terms with how strong she is, so I like this patch.

FC Bayern

There's always a significant "Post TI" drop. People start playing or come back during the compendium window.

I personally haven't played since the Reborn client went live. Too many issues with phantom inputs, inputs getting missed and targeting being buggy.

Once it all gets sorted out and the custom game library fills out, it will slowly rise again.

Although im interested to see how it goes with Majors every 3 months, instead of the massive burst that comes with TI hype.

Top Bottom