• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 is hemorrhaging players.

t0rment

If they didn't care they would have left Dota 2 running on Source 1.

do you know how long the targeting bug and the hitbox stuff is in there? not to mention the fps drops. they care more about the next compendium than the game being in a playable state, so unless multiple pros come out saying something that wont change anytime soon.

and at least source 1 was playable, so i'd vastly prefer if it was that engine still.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What is wrong with people blowing shit out of proportion.
Reborn has problems give them time to fix them. Do people even remember dota 2 beta and even when it launched out of it? It wasn't a smooth road either, but it would do good for people to remember that Valve is actually one of the faster devs to fix stuff.

Also this sentiment that they should have left source 2 in beta, I can see where it is coming from but people should also remind themselves that there is no better way to quickly fix stuff than to have stuff break in its real working environment.

Also it's not that long ago that TI happened people got a bit tired and some of them are probably taking a break like me to play other games. I'll be there once the major begins. That's just the type of game dota is you go away for a while just to come back.

TheRed

I was surprised and immediately looked it up.
Apparently it's not that dramatic and just a great way to blame your loss on something else.
Well at least when someone abandons on the other team it does have a real impact with the free gold. I definitely notice it when they shouldn't have so many big items that fast normally considering how they were playing before the guy left..

collige

Banned
I'm not too surprised there's still quite a few bugs and some of the UI features are really confusing now.

Hmm, there are comeback mechanics in Mobas just like some fighting games?

Not at all. There's nothing that will actually directly help you out of a bad situation like MvC3 X-Factor, there's just a larger reward for winning fights from when you're losing. The items are also designed to benefit losing teams, but that's a core part of the game that's been there from the start.

Well at least when someone abandons on the other team it does have a real impact with the free gold. I definitely notice it when they shouldn't have so many big items that fast normally.

It's not really 'free', it's the same amount of gold being distributed to four players instead of five. There's definitely situations where that's an advantage though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
do you know how long the targeting bug and the hitbox stuff is in there? not to mention the fps drops. they care more about the next compendium than the game being in a playable state, so unless multiple pros come out saying something that wont change anytime soon.

and at least source 1 was playable, so i'd vastly prefer if it was that engine still.
How is Reborn not playable? Been playing it since it came out...

Devildoll

I don't think they've dropped as much as it seems.

its just that the chart has started to get more detailed at that point where the drop starts.

iOpbbyQ.gif

as you can see, before it only measured once per day.
Ul9V4vo.gif

now it does every hour.

Kozak

Banned
Its also Festival season in Australia so thats a lot of DOTA 2 players going to hardstyle and trance events with their disco biscuits instead of playing DOTA.

DeaviL

Banned
Well at least when someone abandons on the other team it does have a real impact with the free gold. I definitely notice it when they shouldn't have so many big items that fast normally.

I just found a comment on reddit about your 4 v 5 situation.

Dotapack Reddit said:
The real comeback gold flows when the gent/gal who lost mid quits and their gold flows to the other players on top of the standard fare comeback gold. (which I believe is in a good place right now)

Because many lower pub games have only a handful of huge playmakers, they benefit a great deal from the gold increase when the person who's been feeding rage-quits. We've talked about this before on Reddit... it's unavoidable that you will be effected adversely at some point by this. The "loosing" 4 man squad on the other side steamrolls you just when your team was getting comfortable and a little reckless.

Fuchsdh

Emphasis on the "reckless" element. I know I've been on teams where we stomped them so bad, everyone just starts trying wilder item builds or stops team fighting as effectively and gives the other team a chance to win. It's an easy trap to fall into, but throwing a won game is pretty easy to do even without the extra gold from leavers.

DeaviL

Banned
Hopefully the MOBA bubble has finally burst. So many good studios wasting their time on them.

It won't and it doesn't have to, enough studios have made one and failed.
I'm pretty sure they realize by now that only the current major players can win in this market.

It's really not that bad, and I'm sure the bugs in Reborn have a lot to do with it. I've stopped playing as much out of frustration from all the little bugs. Once Valve fixes the issues and the next International starts up, it'll be just as popular as ever.

gai_shain

No it isn't. It's a buggy mess. They should have left it as what it is even now. A beta client.

So what are all the bugs you have encountered?
Theres ofcourse the hitbox bug which valve is trying to fix with the amount of fixes they are pushing atm.
You make it sound as if you cant do a single thing without there being a bug

Hmm, there are comeback mechanics in Mobas just like some fighting games?

Yes, in some of them at least.

----

Ok, I looked more carefully at the stats, and while still not "hemorrhaging", it's true there is some decline. For example, in the last 8 months they have lost 50K players, and that's the first time it happens for the game, it has always been in a steady increase if you look a similar periods of time.

TheRed

Hmm that's true. I just know I've been frustrated before winning mid and playing completely seriously the whole game , the other mid left and then the game gets out of control. I may not have done a stupid item build but my teammates may have gotten too overconfident with theirs in those games. Just anecdotally though I definitely felt a change in when I played with a friend of mine that we felt dread when a teammate left and that it would be almost impossible and that we'd want the option for everyone to leave to come, and now I definitely feel that's it's more of an opportunity to win a game we would've lost rather then feeling that same dread I used to. That's just my experience, I know there's a ton of other factors in comebacks, but in my opinion what they changed was still too much.

Ultrabum

I don't think they've dropped as much as it seems.

its just that the chart has started to get more detailed at that point where the drop starts.

iOpbbyQ.gif

as you can see, before it only measured once per day.
Ul9V4vo.gif

now it does every hour.

Why has this post not been quoted 10 times. Seems there is no drop in player base imo....

cris7198

They rushed Reborn wich is fucking awful because there are still functions that aren't present in Reborn, like socketing... HOW IS THE CLIENT READY?!

So what are all the bugs you have encountered?
Theres ofcourse the hitbox bug which valve is trying to fix with the amount of fixes they are pushing atm.
You make it sound as if you cant do a single thing without there being a bug

In a precise game as this, any kind of bug is critical. Bear in mind I haven't even mentioned the UI. Jesus christ what a disgusting pile of rubble...

Edit: Well, you asked me for bugs
- Hitbox bug that you already mentioned.
- Random lag spikes (didn't happen before on Source 1)
- Sometimes (I don't know why) I can't select some units or buildings.
- The textures sometimes get all muddy. Like I was playing on 640*480 or something.

That's what I can recall.

I had 1500 hours on Dota 2 before the reborn patch, and now I don't think I'll ever reach 1510 hours.

I too think Reborn isn't worth my time right now, but to claim that Valve 'does not care' is completely ridiculous. They have put out a patch fixing bugs and tweaking the system literally every single day over the past week+, including the weekends.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Such a clickbait title.
A month of fluctuations from moving to Source 2 after an entire month of a stale meta (6 months no patch OSfrog) and a general burn out feeling of TI, tournaments, etc it's not surprising.

Stuff will get fixed (updating being pushed daily), custom games will be bigger, new patch for balance hit, it'll recover.

sharnaak

It has been more a problem of the 6.84 lasting too long with a couple of broken heroes (lesh/lina/blood) than the reborn update really.

The update btw has been a problem especially on the whole targeting part in game, since in the first few weeks the targeting was unit based and not anymore a bubble around the heroes, they are trying to fix it and deployed yesterday a patch (a bit buggy from what I've read from work), but pretty much everything else is fine.

6.85 -> the first Major with the Fall compendium -> 6.86 (Major patch) and they will just bounce back at their usual numbers.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
In a precise game as this, any kind of bug is critical. Bear in mind I haven't even mentioned the UI. Jesus christ what a disgusting pile of rubble...

Edit: Well, you asked me for bugs
- Hitbox bug that you already mentioned.
- Random lag spikes (didn't happen before on Source 1)
- Sometimes (I don't know why) I can't select some units or buildings.
- The textures sometimes get all muddy. Like I was playing on 640*480 or something.

That's what I can recall.

I had 1500 hours on Dota 2 before the reborn patch, and now I don't think I'll ever reach 1510 hours.
See, apparently we have different definitions of the word if these things mean "unplayable" to you.

harSon

Banned

From what I've seen, this has more to do with the 4 man team playing as a team from that point on - and the 5 man team farming, split pushing, etc to the point where they get picked off and fall too far behind to combat the opposing team's gold advantage.

sharnaak

See, apparently we have different definitions of the word if these things mean "unplayable" to you.

Well to be fair the targeting part, and the untargetable rax, are kinda game breaking. Still they acknowledged it and deployed already a first patch to give back the bubble feeling of source1, so I wouldn't be too worried about it...

If there are any League guys that read this, what are the best guides for someone that played/understands DOTA to transition to League's meta?

qwTbXmW.gif

you dont get to leave us, bru!

but seriously, all sounds like is a mess the transition to source 2. i havent played a bit since the update but for other completely unrelated reasons.

jediyoshi

Nothing like working towards fixing something like splitting development time supporting a deprecated version.

DarkKyo

I actually took a long break before Reborn launched, and since Reborn I've played a few matches. I'd love some new heroes though :/ Arc Warden pls, we all know he's ready.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do think part of it is likely due to Source 2 currently having worse system compatibility then Source 1 did. There are a lot of people who get odd graphical and performance problems, especially on older hardware. This is on top of September normally having lower numbers as is.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the game is borderline broken atm so it's not surprising to me that peopler are leaving. hitboxes are trash and the game reliably crashes at least once every time you sit down to play. plus 6.85 was a relatively small patch; people are hungry for the two remaining heroes to be added to bring something fresh to the game, which will happen sometime after the first major in november.

also, i think the player figures always drop after a TI?

Omega

Banned
Top Bottom