• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 is hemorrhaging players.

Hektor

Good. Let's keep that trend going. MOBAs should have a place at the table, but should not be one of the most popular games out there. I think it would lead to trends which would change the gaming industry into making more games I no longer enjoy.

What a sad post.

Everyone playing CS:GO instead.

Thats probably also one of the reasons, that game got huuuuge. And its hard to play both games.

Tenck

Ran in to a bug with the rax and some buildings being unclickable. Same with heroes, but that was one match, unlike buildings which have been going on for a few matches. Literally mash the left click ontop of them and nothing.

Zia

I really like the UI, I just think it's a buggy mess. Which, in their defense, they understand as the game is receiving updates every single day. I think a really meaty content update will swing things around however I'm kind of glad they've taken a hit on the Source 2 launch as I'm sick of them shipping unfinished shit to "paying" customers and then iterating on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
11% drop in 2014 from August-September.

Okay so I pulled the general chart for that period and I see the following:

2014dota2n7qv1.png

I set it from May (when school starts ending) into a bit of October (when everyone is definitely back in school).

It went up in July for the International, then down in August afterwards, and went up through September and into October.

I'm guessing a lot of people who play dota don't even like the game much, they just play it out of habit or to kill time. The annoyances of a new engine and UI are enough for them to not play the game at all and just do something else.

Skux

I can see why Riot has always been so hesitant to overhaul League of Legends and rebuild it without the spaghetti code. Changing the feel of a game that drastically will alienate a huge number of core fans.

Hip Hop

Thats probably also one of the reasons, that game got huuuuge. And its hard to play both games.
I have a friend that does this.

Plays a round or two of Dota, then jumps with us to end the night with some CSGO.

He pulls it off well lol

jediyoshi

Good. Let's keep that trend going. MOBAs should have a place at the table, but should not be one of the most popular games out there. I think it would lead to trends which would change the gaming industry into making more games I no longer enjoy.

This is the longest I've had to read through a joke post to get to the punch line.

rugioh

Banned
If there are any League guys that read this, what are the best guides for someone that played/understands DOTA to transition to League's meta?

t0rment

it's even worse when you realize that reborn should bring in even more players, with custom games, better tutorials and a ''better'' engine.

reborn is trash and it's turning me off the game completely, but i dont think that valve cares, the 5 guys that works on the game probably dont even play dota.

DrArchon

I can see why Riot has always been so hesitant to overhaul League of Legends and rebuild it without the spaghetti code. Changing the feel of a game that drastically will alienate a huge number of core fans.

It really is the kind of thing you have to get right on the first go. For a game that big, there will be ton of scrutiny and nobody will have any sympathy for bugs of any kind. I thought that Valve having Source 1 and Source 2 versions side-by-side was a good idea, but I guess they couldn't keep that up.

I have no problems with reborn but I wish they would start adding new heroes. And I don't mean Pitlord that I played 10 years ago, should have been in there from the start.

Saty

Valve completely bought-in into the as a service model as developers. They will push half-baked updates and features out of the door into players' hands and only then actually fix stuff and bring it up where it needs to do. And they'll use the 'iterative development' and 'early feedback' as the reasons why that happened.

I can't but help to entertain the thought whether we should want Valve to make more SP games. Can they actually deliver a product in a tip-top shape in a business model and genres that are evaluated one week after launch rather than one year+ (as in service games)?

Radec

The Reborn and Source 2 updates have been less than well received in the Dota 2 community, with the game losing 16% of its playerbase in the past month. Source 2 and Reborn have also been a comedy of errors with an abysmal UI (which has since been fixed) and many bugs.

Should Valve go back to Source 1 while making Reborn more polished? Maybe people are just bored of Dota in general and are moving to CS:GO and other games?

Nope.

Who else would beta test Reborn other than Dota 2 players?

JoduanER2

In my case what has made me play less since the update is that on my crappy pc it run worse, like 10 fps less worse at the same settings. Same case with some friends.

Breads

Banned
The compendium/ competition/ IG events are over, right? It's just a refractory period. Also school started in the US again so there's that.

You don't know true pain until all your friends who you used to play games with daily, jump on DOTA 2 never to look back again.

Oh man that sucks. :(. Friends don't let friends play MOBAs.

The thing about online multiplayer team-based games like raids in MMOs being the only end-game and MOBAs generally is that the game design does not encourage friends to stick together. Each gamer has a different skill level and friends are not encouraged to play together and "tough it out" if one or two other players are not as skilled. The game encourages players to abandon their lesser-skilled friends in order to do better and advance in the game. As a guild leader in WoW, I saw this happen all the time, even more so, I was encouraged by the game to abandon my own guild and all my friends just so I could advance further in the game by joining another guild with better players. These are not good game design philosophies we should be promoting or lionizing.

Anno

I'm glad that Reborn hasn't affected me too much at all, while the UI and some of the ancillary features are so much better. Now that pro matches are starting to ramp back up and summer is coming to an end I'm pretty sure that log ins will start coming back as well.

Fuchsdh

Well if Dota 2 goes to the shitter, I'm just not going to play MOBAs anymore. I have a decade of accrued skill in DoTA, which is the only reason I'm decent at the game now :)

I appreciate the cleanliness of the new UI and its responsiveness, but frankly even the Source 1 UI was a mess for customization, and it's partially worse in Reborn, which shocks me—with a game based on buying and outfitting items, you'd think they'd prioritize that over everything else.

I think reborn being so buggy was the main reason for the early switch. You just can't keep patching and updating two clients at a reasonable speed. I think its the correct choice.

it's even worse when you realize that reborn should bring in even more players, with custom games, better tutorials and a ''better'' engine.

reborn is trash and it's turning me off the game completely, but i dont think that valve cares, the 5 guys that works on the game probably dont even play dota.

If they didn't care they would have left Dota 2 running on Source 1.

Armaros

Oh yes that off spammed meme of Valve dont care.

I guess thats why they didnt spend hundreds of hours of man-power making a new engine and trying to port an insanely diverse and complicated game over into a new engine.

Forget source 2.0, their latest balance patch is one of the worst. They're homoginizing the heroes now, you can feed as much as you want and still manage to win.

How in the fuck do those two ideas even match. If everything was homogenized you couldn't feed and still win the game because you are the same as the other team.

Hektor

Oh man that sucks. :(. Friends don't let friends play MOBAs.

The thing about online multiplayer team-based games like raids in MMOs being the only end-game and MOBAs generally is that the game design does not encourage friends to stick together. Each gamer has a different skill level and friends are not encouraged to play together and "tough it out" if one or two other players are not as skilled. The game encourages players to abandon their lesser-skilled friends in order to do better and advance in the game. As a guild leader in WoW, I saw this happen all the time, even more so, I was encouraged by the game to abandon my own guild and all my friends just so I could advance further in the game by joining another guild with better players. These are not good game design philosophies we should be promoting or lionizing.

Dota/Mobas have matchmaking yo. There is no need to abandon the worse players, if you wanna play with them, since you're getting matched with people of the same skill average.

And furthermore, those games dont have anything that you can advance in.

elyetis

I doubt the player number has that much to do with Reborn.

Still their decision to make Reborn the main and only client in the state it was& still is, is fucked up.

My colleagues & boss would think I'm joking ( or going crazy ) if I ever asked to make our clients use one of our new software or website ( and remove their access to the current one which work without real problem but without the improvements ), when the new product is pretty much in early beta state and still need weeks if not months of work.

That's just Valve being Valve, and the likely result of a now small team still working on the game.

Interfectum

Do we have any actual data as to how many people at Valve are currently working on Dota 2? Do we know it's a small team now or are we guessing due to lack of content updates?

Carlius

Banned
its the higher system requirements thats are killing people. specially in south america, a lot of my friends used to play in their shitty intel hd integrated cards.

i think its awesome and i love the new ui a lot.

DeaviL

Banned
From May until August we saw a rise of 15%.
This is standard fluctuation together with those extra's dropping off again.

Honestly, i'd say it's due to school vacation being over too.

raphier

Banned
Oh yes that off spammed meme of Valve dont care.

I guess thats why they didnt spend hundreds of hours of man-power making a new engine and trying to port an insanely diverse and complicated game over into a new engine.

How in the fuck do those two ideas even match. If everything was homogenized you couldn't feed and still win the game because you are the same as the other team.
The biggest problem is in gold. You always receive reliable gold even when you feed....

TheRed

I haven't played lately even though I miss it, because of reborn and the balance of the game being really annoying. I haven't had as much fun in dota since they introduced the overpowered comeback mechanics. I can be playing my ass off and 1 of their players abandons and someone on my team feeds them just a couple kills and bam they're rich now and continually win fights until we lose to them 4v5.
Comebacks in Dota used to be the most amazing gaming moments I've ever experienced. Now it almost always feels cheap as shit even if I'm on the winning end of it and just leaves me feeling a little disgusted with what happened rather than ecstatic that I won. I miss Dota
:(

Oh and there was always a bloodseeker that stomps because some teammate is chilling low on health in jungle or in another lane, not thinking about how it makes bloodseeker like 10 times stronger and faster. What a dumb mechanic, honestly him getting vision of low health heroes should be enough, with a lot less extra move speed at least. It's like sonic jumped into dota and runs circles around everyone, that kind of speed just breaks strategy in dota and is pretty stupid.

Rezae

I just jumped back into it about a week ago after playing extremely sporadically the past year. I haven't encountered any bugs or anything like that, and I really like the custom games (I think the 10v10 mode helps dilute my suckiness), but maybe I'm missing something but the storefront/marketplace (or lack of?) is really bugging me. Is clicking on your hero and scrolling over through the items the only way? I remember before there was a huge storefront window and it was quick and fun to look through.

How is that "haemorrhaging players"?

Surely by the same token, CSGO is "haemorrhaging players" based on the same dip currently - http://steamcharts.com/app/730

Same with TF2 - http://steamcharts.com/app/440

Meaningful events are not currently ongoing and school folk are back on term time. There are probably a bunch of other reasons too.

TF2 probably because Match Making has been delayed like a mother fucker, the next big update has been delayed as hell, and they're not even doing a Halloween event this year. And they flat out said that TF2 won't be ported to Source 2.

Really wish they would put more work into TF2.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm not entirely sure what anyone's problem with Reborn is, I think it looks great and haven't encountered any bugs. Granted I haven't been playing as much lately but it's not based off of any moves Valve has made.

Perhaps the extenuating circumstances mean that it is not hemorrhaging per se, but if nothing else it looks like the growth has slowed way way down, which does have to be a concern.

Maybe we've gotten to the top of the MOBA curve.

shira

Does that have a big influence on the player base?

It reduces morale when Valve implements things like untradable items and 3 month trade restrictions.

Like for CSGO you could watch the Major Final and you could have 5 cases drop. That's like $120 in steam bux or $80 irl money just to watch a game you love.

Their economy is extremely strong.

Top Bottom