• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part1/

---

I think the OP could also include the summary description

Today we are announcing the Dota 2 Reborn Beta, which brings with it a new interface, new engine and Custom Games. Everything in the dashboard has been completely redesigned utilizing a new UI framework, and the engine that powers the game has been fully replaced. On today’s update page we will be giving you a preview of the new interface. Early next week we’ll be talking about Custom Games, and later that week we’ll conclude with various details about the new engine and launch the open beta.

Throughout the beta we’ll be releasing frequent updates in order to fix bugs and make changes based on the feedback you provide. As you browse around in the new client, you’ll notice a few things that aren’t fully functional yet. Additionally, our focus has been on the dashboard so you’ll find the in-game HUD currently looks the same.

We want you to help us during the beta with your suggestions and bug reports. Our intention is to keep gameplay and heroes looking and feeling the same, so if you find anything unexpected please let us know. We’ll be bringing the update out of beta some time after The International to ensure we have enough time to respond to all of your feedback.

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/06/dota-2-reborn/

I hope this fixes the fact that it takes like 10 years just to load into the landing page and the landing page of the game is laggy as shit.

Sendou

I'll probably give this a try once it leaves beta. About time I saw for myself why Dota 2 is so popular.

Einbroch

Banned
That looks really slick, but still missing an improvement to my biggest issue: the size of the in-game UI. It's massive.

That Dota TV looks awesome.

Can I lock the camera like in LoL? Yes, I'm a giant scrub.

Pretty sure you can lock the camera in the game currently, so you would in the new version for sure. Not particularily a good idea though, in dota even more so than in lol, due to many heroes having much longer range abilities(or even autoattacks) than in lol.

Gorger

2701690-0213327956-tumbl.gif

Can't wait to check this out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Interesting. This is pretty much a precedent for games that reach this kind of active userbase, right? Engine and UI overhaul?

Anno

disapprove.gif

I just...I mean, Valve said they were taking off some normal events to get Source2 and other major improvements in earlier this year, and holy shit they seem to have come through if this works. That UI looks so much nicer, and so many nice little features. 1556 hours logged in Dota 2, guess I won't be stopping anytime soon.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Pretty sure you can lock the camera in the game currently, so you would in the new version for sure. Not particularily a good idea though, in dota even more so than in lol, due to many heroes having much longer range abilities(or even autoattacks) than in lol.

Now that you mention it I remember that being the case with abilities on dota. I should probably DL the game again and give it more than a few matches to get used to.

MayMay

Banned
Exciting. That new UI looks sexy as fuuuck. Probably gonna give the game another chance once this update hits.

CSGO Reborn next? Hopefully.

Woorloog

Banned
Now that you mention it I remember that being the case with abilities on dota. I should probably DL the game again and give it more than a few matches to get used to.
Map awareness is also a thing. You'll want to check what your team's doing.
I think.

Jhriad

It's still Dota though, right?

Meh. Come back to me when I don't have to look at a fucking guide every time I play to figure out what I need to buy and what skills to take.

sixghost

It's still Dota though, right?

Meh. Come back to me when I don't have to look at a fucking guide every time I play to figure out what I need to buy and what skills to take.

You haven't had to do that for like 3 years. Guides are built right into the UI for both skill builds and item builds.

IIRC, the last time they launched an engine, it was also with a beta. That was the Counter Strike Source beta in summer 2004. Half Life 2 soon followed that November. So does a Source 2 game beta = you know what?

ScOULaris

I can't wait for custom games more than anything

This. This a million times. Given the huge player base, this has the potential to be the second coming of the old Brood War/Warcraft 3 UMS scene. I've gotta try not to get my hopes up too high.

That looks really slick, but still missing an improvement to my biggest issue: the size of the in-game UI. It's massive.

That Dota TV looks awesome.

Yup. Aside from the fact that i suck at it and rarely have the time to put in to get better while also continuing with League, this is THE biggest issue for me.

It's an interesting contrast. Dota 2's out-of-game feature set continues to expand beyond League's in many ways, whereas League's in-game experience is light years ahead and continues to improve with what we've seen with the new HUD update.

I understand Valve has HUD skins to sell etc., but the in-game UI really needs an overhaul. I'd probably play more Dota 2 if I enjoyed the in-game experience because it's still fascinating to me, even if I enjoy League's playstyle more.

Still, this client overhaul is great. It really needed it imo. The current one is super bloated and busy looking imo. Hero select is a disaster from a usability standpoint. Custom games might be the thing that gets me to play more of this game.

If I can play Wraith-Night again from a couple years ago... yes please.

sixghost

This. This a million times. Given the huge player base, this has the potential to be the second coming of the old Brood War/Warcraft 3 UMS scene. I've gotta try not to get my hopes up too high.

Especially considering the game is free. If the maps are good enough I could see people downloading the game to do nothing other than play custom games.

FACE

Banned
Yup. Aside from the fact that i suck at it and rarely have the time to put in to get better while also continuing with League, this is THE biggest issue for me.

It's an interesting contrast. Dota 2's out-of-game feature set continues to expand beyond League's in many ways, whereas League's in-game experience is light years ahead and continues to improve with what we've seen with the new HUD update.

I understand Valve has HUD skins to sell etc., but the in-game UI really needs an overhaul. I'd probably play more Dota 2 if I enjoyed the in-game experience because it's still fascinating to me, even if I enjoy League's playstyle more.

Still, this client overhaul is great. It really needed it imo. The current one is super bloated and busy looking imo. Hero select is a disaster from a usability standpoint. Custom games might be the thing that gets me to play more of this game.

If I can play Wraith-Night again from a couple years ago... yes please.

Well:

Additionally, our focus has been on the dashboard so you’ll find the in-game HUD currently looks the same.

I take that as they do plan on updating the in-game hud sometime in the future.

Well:

I take that as they do plan on updating the in-game hud sometime in the future.

I really hope they do.

As an aside, is that new Hero browser also going to be used for Hero select in game? It looks fucking slick and far, far more usable than the current one which is an atrocity.

scarybore

Aww man, that looks great, far beyond what I was actually expecting. No wonder it took to long to release those DAC emoticons.

Top Bottom