• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

la_briola

Some people like to lock their camera in team fights so that the camera is always centred on their character. Makes it easier to keep track of your character and everything around it in a high-pressure and frantic situation.

Just spam "F1".
laugh.gif

God damn it just when I finally kicked the dota habit 6 months ago they go and do this? It's an amazing game but it's like you have to dedicate your life to it to be any good and there's never any time for OTHER games!

Anno

What champion is good for a total n00b like me?
TB said that the skeleton king is quite simple to play

Yeah, Wraith King is good (RIP Skeleton King). Also Lich. One of those two is probably as basic as heroes get. Also don't call them champions in game or people will legit get mad and flame you for being a LoL carebear or something.

Nzyme32

I think it must have been a while for you since what TB said - following a Dota 2 event, Skeleton King is now Wraith King

Such is the weirdness of doto

Zia

Lich is the Choice Skeletman of Noobs.

And JFC a UI in a Valve game that looks like it's from this decade. Seriously gorgeous. Love the new hero browser and am super stoked to see how Source 2 runs on Mac (Dota 2 is junk at the moment).

Really neat stuff. Wish TF2 and GO would receive overhauls like that.

RedSwirl

Sometimes I just want to play a game to appreciate its production value and how slick it looks, but then remember I'll probably never be able to play DOTA2 worth a damn.

KingKong

Lich is the Choice Skeletman of Noobs.

And JFC a UI in a Valve game that looks like it's from this decade. Seriously gorgeous. Love the new hero browser and am super stoked to see how Source 2 runs on Mac (Dota 2 is junk at the moment).

It sounds like Source 2 is whats allowing this overhall and in that case its a pretty good bet that at least CSGO will get the same thing

Aselith

He is and he's also beastmode but he's pretty slow and he takes a long time to get going. I'd suggest Sven or Dragon Knight for younglings.

Assuming you aren't trolling, Skeleton King left the game to do "pressing ceremonial matters" and is now reborn as Wraith King (same hero, just new name and design).

Like anyone cares. He's Skeleton King. Just like Wisp is Wisp whether it says it on the UI or not.

Will they be using this for the international this year?

I'd doubt it, since I doubt it would be stable enough for the biggest gaming tournament in the world by the time TI5 rolls around. Not to forget the game debuted as a beta in the then largest tournament, but I think we are on completely different ground now.

Nzyme32

Will they be using this for the international this year?

Almost certainly not. It is in beta to both test out the new features and Source 2. It won't be trusted enough for a competition level tournament. They could probably use it for the little event they have in-between where it is basically for fun (last year for cheese), where they could probably do some custom games

Hylian7

He is and he's also beastmode but he's pretty slow and he takes a long time to get going. I'd suggest Sven or Dragon Knight for younglings.

Like anyone cares. He's Skeleton King. Just like Wisp is Wisp whether it says it on the UI or not.

The people that are new to the game and are like "Where's Skeleton King?" and don't know care...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yo, PUDGE WARS.

Let's get some PUDGE WARS going.

Lich is ez hero but also boring.

Venomancer is my choice for noob support. You can be ultra agressive with is q. Crystal Maiden, Ogre Magi, Lion are all pretty easy supports to pick up and play. Nature's prophet highlights why Dota is so different from League and Heroes of the Storm and you might find him super entertaining.

Wraith King isn't mechanically hard to play but he's a carry and you need last hits to do well. Try Centaur Warrunner if you want a strong tanky hero that can kill shit without farm. Bristleback is another hero like that.

I'd say pick whoever you think that looks interesting in a bot game and try em out. I'd only recommend avoiding invoker (combo hero), tinker (high apm, needs good farm), io (heavily team reliant) and some micro heroes (Meepo, Lone Druid, Visage, Chen, Enchantress to some degree, Brood) if you don't have any rts experience. Personally I found lone druid really fun as a noob.

patchday

For anyone new, it talks about more expansive tutorials so it's somewhat easier to jump in.

Nice cause the main community Dota 2 guide is scary as heck. It must be like 20 pages if I were to print it. I just want to run through some tutorials and get taught while playing the game.

BraXzy

OMG IT LOOKS SO GOOD MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Also, if Custom Games is only Part 2 of this...

What is Part 3? :O

All right, after getting addicted to Heroes of the Storm this will be what gets me to try Dota.

If you've never played DOTA it's slightly different than HoTS. HoTS basically requires you to use teamwork to win as you have to fight for those objectives more or less. DOTA it helps but not to the same degree at least playing as casual in QM. I love both games for different reasons

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
If you've never played DOTA it's very different than HoTS. HoTS basically requires you to use teamwork to win as you have to fight for those objectives. DOTA it helps but not to the same degree at least playing as casual in QM. Ranked is totally different obviously. I love both games for different reasons

tumblr_m21lkfqMm61r5gvg1o1_250.gif

Bluth54

I imagine that TF2 and CSGO will eventually receive Source 2 ports that so all current projects being worked on at Valve are on Source 2 but it's not surprising that DOTA 2 is the highest priority since it's the most played.

This. I can't get past this. Please make the UI minimal and sleek and the fuck out of my way.

+1

everything else is amazing.

but fuck Dota2's in-game UI. that bottom bar has to go.

This looks beautiful. Sad thing is I don't have friends...

there's plenty of room for you in the DotaGAF guild.

I think it must have been a while for you since what TB said - following a Dota 2 event, Skeleton King is now Wraith King

Such is the weirdness of doto

Hero names have been changed in the past to avoid conflicts with Blizzard.

Top Bottom