• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

Stiler

HAve they added a simple hold-space to center camera on your hero button yet?

Something so simple that's in virtually every other moba (League, HoN, etc) yet not in DOTA 2.

Thats what mae it so hard for me when I tried to pick it up and play, so used to have space to be able to quickly snap to my hero when I need to and having to hit multiple buttons was such an annoyance.

Something so simple that's in virtually every other moba (League, HoN, etc) yet not in DOTA 2.

Thats what mae it so hard for me when I tried to pick it up and play, so used to have space to be able to quickly snap to my hero when I need to and having to hit multiple buttons was such an annoyance.

Since at least 2013.

I'm a huge Dota 2 fan and I really enjoy the competitive scene etc...But I can easily say that I'm far more excited for what this means for Valve as a company rather than them just porting Dota 2 over to the Source 2 engine. It has to mean that they have plans to use that damn engine for something else at least, I'm hoping it's more games.

Armaros

I'm a huge Dota 2 fan and I really enjoy the competitive scene etc...But I can easily say that I'm far more excited for what this means for Valve as a company rather than them just porting Dota 2 over to the Source 2 engine. It has to mean that they have plans to use that damn engine for something else at least, I'm hoping it's more games.

Two words

Custom Games

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Day 3...

Immortal 3...

Half life... 3?????

Aselith

Yep they're going to make a match 3 game with RPG elements set in the world of Counterstrike so that they can fully explore its deep lore.

Hylian7

Had it since 2011 beta, double tap F1 (select hero key) and hold it.

Stiler

Had it since 2011 beta, double tap F1 (select hero key) and hold it.

I know they had that, I'm talking about a single press and hold key (A la League, HoN, every other moba out there).

Having to double tap in the middle of doing something else is annoying and just creates extra steps that aren't even needed int eh first place.

Since at least 2013.

You sure it's press and hold a single key? I tried playing a little over 2 years or so ago and couldn't find it, just a bunch of people asking for it in forum posts.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The reason why it's not single tap and hold is because unit selection is a distinct concept from camera locking thanks to the RTS elements.

Hylian7

I know they had that, I'm talking about a single press and hold key (A la League, HoN, every other moba out there).

Having to double tap in the middle of doing something else is annoying and just creates extra steps that aren't even needed int eh first place.

You sure it's press and hold a single key? I tried playing a little over 2 years or so ago and couldn't find it, just a bunch of people asking for it in forum posts.

If that's what you want, you are doing it wrong. You need to learn to control the game properly, it isn't league of legends, and tunnelvisioning yourself like that will just decrease your map awareness.

Yeah I've been playing since 2013 and my camera snaps to my hero with space bar and if I hold it it stays centered on my hero.

Edit: I'm dumb, I double tap space bar and can hold.

Awesome update! Can't wait to see how smooth Source 2 runs as well.

This was absolutely worth no holiday update so they could focus on this based on the the updated UI they're showing. Nice job Valve!

Hylian7

Or let people play how they want, especially if they wouldn't play the game otherwise.

No, they are playing it wrong and need to learn to play it correctly. That's like saying that autoattacking the creep wave is a viable strat. This is not League of Legends, it's Dota 2. You have to learn proper map awareness, micromanagement, inventory checking, etc. You can't just keep your camera locked on your hero all the time, it's bad.

Double tapping the hero portrait locks it. Clicking again stops it.

But camera following you in HoN or Dota is about the most horrible handicap ever.

Einbroch

Banned
No, they are playing it wrong and need to learn to play it correctly. That's like saying that autoattacking the creep wave is a viable strat. This is not League of Legends, it's Dota 2. You have to learn proper map awareness, micromanagement, inventory checking, etc. You can't just keep your camera locked on your hero all the time, it's bad.
The dude is talking about holding a key to keep the camera on his character during hectic moments, not about leaving it on all the time.

No one in League leaves their camera locked, dunno where you got that from.

Hylian7

The dude is talking about holding a key to keep the camera on his character during hectic moments, not about leaving it on all the time.

You still don't want to do that, you have to be able to look at different parts on your fight. Double tapping to recenter is fine, but holding it that way at all is objectively bad.

Hylian7

When I tried League, the setting leave the camera locked on your hero by defualt, which is so terrible, unless things changed since then.

Stiler

Yes I am not talking about "locking" my camera, I woudln't be able to stand that.

I am talking about simply holding it down to snap the camera quickly to my character when I want to orient myself on my hero or quickly get back to where my hero is when I've panned the camera somewhere else.

The split-second you lose by having to double-tap over simply being able to quicky press a single keystroke is annoying.

I've just gotten so used to that from playing league/hon and it is disorienting when I'm looking around the map and notice someone near my hero on the minimap or start to take dmg and in league it's quick press space and bam, you're there, vs double-tapping ithe f1 key or something weird like that when I remember trying to play dota.

Hylian7

Yes I am not talking about "locking" my camera, I woudln't be able to stand that.

I am talking about simply holding it down to snap the camera quickly to my character when I want to orient myself on my hero or quickly get back to where my hero is when I've panned the camera somewhere else.

The split-second you lose by having to double-tap over simply being able to quicky press a single keystroke is annoying.

I've just gotten so used to that from playing league/hon and it is disorienting when I'm looking around the map and notice someone near my hero on the minimap or start to take dmg and in league it's quick press space and bam, you're there, vs double-tapping ithe f1 key or something weird like that when I remember trying to play dota.

No really don't lose any time double tapping. Just learn to double tap, you are making it so much harder than it has to be. It may seem weird at first, but just learn it, you'll benefit in the long r un.

iamblades

You still don't want to do that, you have to be able to look at different parts on your fight. Double tapping to recenter is fine, but holding it that way at all is objectively bad.

^^ certain heroes basic attack range would be off the screen if you had your character centered, much less some of the longer range abilities in the game.

You almost never want your character to be centered on screen(even during fights) you just lose too much situational awareness.

As for the update, this is a total and pleasant surprise. I mean we knew the new engine was coming, wasn't expecting a total client overhaul as well though.

I especially like the demo hero function. Will be so much easier than making a lobby just to get some quick last hit practice in.

No really don't lose any time double tapping. Just learn to double tap, you are making it so much harder than it has to be. It may seem weird at first, but just learn it, you'll benefit in the long r un.

You lose time, doesn't matter if it's not much, double tapping versus single tapping is always going to be slower, this isn't debatable. Wether or not you want to always center your camera on a single tap is where it's arguable that's it's not optimal when microing multiple units, though a lot of people don't play heroes that need to do that. Can be useful for bottle crowing maybe, and again that only concerns some people.

Googling it, from a very old thread but should still work:
bind "key" "+dota_camera_follow; +dota_camera_follow"
Should make it single press instead of double, same functionality(center on key press, keep centered as long as it's held, when released it doesn't force center anymore).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Think you can setup a script so hitting F1 hits it twice for you if it bugs you

Hylian7

You lose time, doesn't matter if it's not much, double tapping versus single tapping is always going to be slower, this isn't debatable. Wether or not you want to always center your camera on a single tap is where it's arguable that's it's not optimal when microing multiple units, though a lot of people don't play heroes that need to do that. Can be useful for bottle crowing maybe, and again that only concerns some people.

Googling it, from a very old thread but should still work:
bind "key" "+dota_camera_follow; +dota_camera_follow"
Should make it single press instead of double, same functionality(center on key press, keep centered as long as it's held, when released it doesn't force center anymore).

No, no hero in the game can afford to lock their camera, it isn't good practice.

FatalT

Banned
I'm a little sad about this because I got really into Heroes of the Storm but I feel like both games could be played together. HotS doesn't have items, individual hero levels, or skill build orders so I can see myself switching between the two. Bring on Source 2! I'll jump back in!

Hylian7

This is the reason people are scared of the dota community.

No, people are scared of the dota community because it's full of people that say "lol ur bad git gud". Explaining that a practice is bad is not it. I don't even understand how offering criticism is considered "the thing that scares people from the game".

No, no hero in the game can afford to lock their camera, it isn't good practice.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted. You were trying to say double tapping is good enough and as such single tapping isn't faster, which is obviously not the case, regardless of the function you're trying to access. Yes locking the camera is bad. Having it center on a single click still beat centering on double click in speed and ease of use on single unit heroes. Centering isn't locking.Centering is used by everyone and should be used by everyone.

Regardless the ini tweaks are there if people want to do specific stuff. It might not be efficient, but camera locking isn't efficient in LoL either, if he does it it's because he likes it and doesn't care enough about improving that he wants to relearn how to play the game. You might disagree with that, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be told how to do the things he wants to do.

Hylian7

This has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted. You were trying to say double tapping is good enough and as such single tapping isn't faster, which is obviously not the case, regardless of the function you're trying to access. Yes locking the camera is bad. Having it center on a single click still beat centering on double click in speed and ease of use on single unit heroes. Centering isn't locking.Centering is used by everyone and should be used by everyone.

Yeah, but here's the thing. The controls of the game are meant to control like an RTS, like an RTS, there is no "Hold one button to center on your main guy", it's double tapping. You are SELECTING the hero, people need to understand this concept about Dota.

Yeah, but here's the thing. The controls of the game are meant to control like an RTS, like an RTS, there is no "Hold one button to center on your main guy", it's double tapping. You are SELECTING the hero, people need to understand this concept about Dota.

Cool down man, take a small step back and ask for more advice in the dota thread, it's fine.

Excited for Custom games.

Wish there's Element TD and X Hero Siege there in the future.

TD in the early WC3 days sucked ass but still loved them. TDs in the late WC3 era were works of art.

Top Bottom