• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

Won

I know it's not exactly the topic, but put me in the camp who wants this for TF2. That game needs to be properly rebuild for all the hats.

Aselith

mayatomr_romance.gif
RIP in piece
mayatomr_romance.gif

I'd like to see the game in action before getting excited. As of right now, I'm pretty meh on it. I have almost 5000 hours on it, yet Heroes of the Storm is pulling me more these days. Dota 2's highs are really high, but its lows are also really low.

Nzyme32

I'd like to see the game in action before getting excited. As of right now, I'm pretty meh on it. I have almost 5000 hours on it, yet Heroes of the Storm is pulling me more these days. Dota 2's highs are really high, but its lows are also really low.

I don't know what you are expecting, but there isn't going to be any significant change to how Dota2 plays or graphics or anything like that. Custom games could add a whole bunch of value though, where there might be game types you prefer over traditional dota

Sooo do we get 21:9 support?

Probably not. the game will let you see *less* map than other players but not MORE. That is, you can buy yourself into a disadvantage (4:3 screen), but you can't buy yourself into an advantage (21:9). It's a competitive game. Expect it to always be 16:9. Though I'm happy with my 16:10 experience.

Okay this is actually so fucking ridiculously good. Like seriously, the Dota 2 client was already pretty solid and far ahead of the competition, such as Blizzards titles.

And then...this? An overhaul of just about everything and it looks amazing with wtf-awesome features?

I really wanna see the faces of Blizzard's UI designers / game directors who decided on the laughable Sc2 and Diablo 3 functionality as well as usability, often justified under the guise of "we wanna keep it simple so everyone can use it". Look Bliz, the chat Valve just implemented allows you to party invite someone typing a specific command. That alone is awesome and the option to do so doesn't hurt anyone.

How can I not keep my playtime mostly at Dota 2 when not only the game itself is fantastic but the platform around it is light years ahead of the competition.

Acinixys

Im super excited for this

But I dont understand people having an issue with Dota in game HUD

Its been the same for 10+ years now

Do you guys really feel that making it smaller would somehow improve the game?

Maybe im so used to it that is doesnt bother me, but I cant see a smaller UI making a massive diffrence. Youll get an extra inch or two of screen at the bottom

illusion.gif

wow, sick burn.
wider aspect ratios don't break the game and they don't give your hero extended vision. at best, it'll help people who are garbage avoid a fight because they didn't see a rotation coming in from the minimap, but saw the enemy as they were about to jump him/her (maybe 2 seconds before an equally inadept 16:9 player would).

Even CS:GO allows for ultrawide, another highly competitive Valve game where an extended field of view should be considered cheating by some. Thing is a lot of people refuse to play that game even in regular widescreen because of their preference.

21:9 gives you easily 40% extra vision in Dota

It would give a massive advantage. Saying that it would only help people who are "garbage" is being very narrow minded.

This isnt a Dota image but you can see how much extra screen space you get.

kanuuna

Play LoL then.

wow, sick burn.
wider aspect ratios don't break the game and they don't give your hero extended vision. at best, it'll help people who are garbage avoid a fight because they didn't see a rotation coming in from the minimap, but saw the enemy as they were about to jump him/her (maybe 2 seconds before an equally inadept 16:9 player would).

Even CS:GO allows for ultrawide, another highly competitive Valve game where an extended field of view should be considered cheating by some. Thing is a lot of people refuse to play that game even in regular widescreen because of their preference.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
As someone who wants to get into playing this I hope the new tutorials are more helpful. I'm trying to play through them now but I still have no idea what I'm doing. Probably just me being an idiot though.

AFAIK LoL supports the aspect ratio.
which is why you totally see all pro League players using ultrawide displays.

/s

does it serve more map? If so...that's surprising. It's a big competitive advantage to the few who have 21:9 monitors. Someone on 21:9 can see things before anyone else sees them. Fine if everyone has 21:9, but again: 21:9 is extraordinarily uncommon in 2015.

wow, sick burn.
wider aspect ratios don't break the game and they don't give your hero extended vision

yes they would.

at best, it'll help people who are garbage avoid a fight because they didn't see a rotation coming in from the minimap, but saw the enemy as they were about to jump him/her.
that is the definition of a competitive advantage in the MOBA world.

Can't speak for CS:Go, but in a MOBA, that's a very real advantage. Every split second matters and if you can see a gank coming before your team sees it and before the enemy knows you're aware of it, you've just tipped the scales in your team's favor, assuming you can communicate at all. Valve addresses the extra lines of resolution 16:10 players get by zooming in on the map slightly. 16:10 players actually get less vision on the sides and that was done intentionally to keep the playing field level. If you think they're going to give 21:9 players an extra 320 lines of vertical resolution and map vision on each side...I can guarantee you that's not happening. Not ever. Not until the day that 21:9 becomes the world monitor standard. The game is built around 16:9 because it is the most common aspect ratio.

bounchfx

I play on a 4:3 does this mean I'm pretty much better than anyone else since I don't need as much vision? I'm better, right?

practically gaben-tier.

kanuuna

I'm having to demo this to you using a HUD that isn't the default one because I have that one replaced with another one, but I assure you this is what the 21:9 experience looks like right now.

TC3aV6.jpg

SKCSZa.jpg

The game doesn't lock your field of view. The game is just unplayable because the HUD doesn't scale, and there's no way to customize it. If the HUD didn't look like it was made for a touch display, the game would already be good for ultrawide. Shop is broken, because you can't see what you're building, unless you strip the HUD to the bare minimum the game let's you. The end result looks like this.

The black bars at the top and bottom are the actual limits the game puts on your vision.
If there'd be default HUD where everything would look neat in that format, I'd not wail about it.

It would give a massive advantage

call the cops, because anyone can play with the difference these screenshots showcase if they set up a custom resolution.

^ well shit. I know nothing. Carry on. You're gonna have me checking 21:9 prices at 5:30am my time.

Edit: maybe it's intentionally broken like that for the reasons already explained. Vision is just that critical in Doto/MOBAs. I can't imagine them letting that aspect ratio work until such a day where it was one of the common aspect ratios in gaming rather than the extreme exception that it is in 2015.

I play on a 4:3 does this mean I'm pretty much better than anyone else since I don't need as much vision? I'm better, right?

practically gaben-tier.
Ur better, yes. Also, why the hell are you on 4:3. Lawd da help

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It would give a massive advantage. Saying that it would only help people who are "garbage" is being very narrow minded.

This isnt a Dota image but you can see how much extra screen space you get.

lol but its totes not an advantage. Vision is only the single most important resource in the game.

Man

I would love to have this be Vive compatible. A massive horizontal scrolling table-top games of sorts.

Haunted

Maybe they'll let people play in proper 21:9 but to counteract the vision advantage they'll have to use the Steam controller.

practically gaben-tier.
Time to invest all that workshop money into a better monitor!

I think the OP could also include the summary description

Today we are announcing the Dota 2 Reborn Beta, which brings with it a new interface, new engine and Custom Games. Everything in the dashboard has been completely redesigned utilizing a new UI framework, and the engine that powers the game has been fully replaced. On today’s update page we will be giving you a preview of the new interface. Early next week we’ll be talking about Custom Games, and later that week we’ll conclude with various details about the new engine and launch the open beta.

Throughout the beta we’ll be releasing frequent updates in order to fix bugs and make changes based on the feedback you provide. As you browse around in the new client, you’ll notice a few things that aren’t fully functional yet. Additionally, our focus has been on the dashboard so you’ll find the in-game HUD currently looks the same.

We want you to help us during the beta with your suggestions and bug reports. Our intention is to keep gameplay and heroes looking and feeling the same, so if you find anything unexpected please let us know. We’ll be bringing the update out of beta some time after The International to ensure we have enough time to respond to all of your feedback.

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/06/dota-2-reborn/

luffeN

Shouldn't the fog of war cancel all and every widescreen / aspect bonus? So what if you have more map on the side, you won't see anything anyway as long as the game does the fog of war correctly.

Arkanius

Shouldn't the fog of war cancel all and every widescreen / aspect bonus? So what if you have more map on the side, you won't see anything anyway as long as the game does the fog of war correctly.

Fog of War is only super dense during night time
During day, it can still give you advantage.

Imagine a mid situation where you are playing as Pudge.

day vision is 1800 (I think ? or 1600 can't remember), night vision is usually 800 with exceptions. during day you see farther than your screen

On 2-3 heroes night vision is bigger (night stalker, luna and maybe slark not sure) with 1800. There's also a new item that gives more night vision (moon shard) so that you can see even further
Wider screens giving more vision would be a huge deal tbh. So would be a bigger de-zoom (as it's already possible in spectator mode)

Acinixys

But if you have vision from a ward/creeps etc, instead of looking at your minimap to see enemy movements would be able to see them on your screen

This is an insanely huge problem for a game where map awareness and knowing where the enemy is and what items they currently own makes up such a huge part of the strategy

kanuuna is being
salty.gif
for no reason. Just because X game supports something doesnt mean Y game should as well

day vision is 1800 (I think ? or 1600 can't remember), night vision is usually 800 with exceptions. during day you see farther than.

On 2-3 heroes night vision is bigger (night stalker, luna and maybe slark not sure) with 1800. There's also a new item that gives more night vision (moon shard) so that you can see even further
Wider screens giving more vision would be a huge deal tbh. So would be a bigger de-zoom (as it's already possible in spectator mode)

This also

sobaka770

Banned
Let me just say: DotA2 had major issues with interface and DotATV. This "Rebirth" is not only expected it was direly needed.

I'm still unsure whether the new interface will solve major problems with accessibility. Sure you can jump into games from all menus now and it looks sleeker but there are so many issues with items being hoarded and poorly sorted out, menu trees which don't make sense etc.

DotaTV on the other hand may finally become a product people would want to pay for. How many people now buy tickets to DotA tournaments to actually watch them using the client instead of getting a nice set? Even the International Compendium is mostly bought to get rewards rather than to actually support the competition. This was problematic, but now, with the better in-game viewing client and extra stuff that comes, like real-time charts, maybe the tickets will become valuable by themselves.

Also how nice of them to borrow stuff from LoL and Heroes of the Storm, like menu layouts, looking for party and Tryout mode for individual heroes. Benefits of competition.

Overall the changes are nice, they catch up DotA2 to competition and sometime (khem LoL) bypassing them by a wide margin. Now onto the beta to see just how buggy the whole thing is.

Top Bottom