• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

finalflame

Gold Member
No, they are playing it wrong and need to learn to play it correctly. That's like saying that autoattacking the creep wave is a viable strat. This is not League of Legends, it's Dota 2. You have to learn proper map awareness, micromanagement, inventory checking, etc. You can't just keep your camera locked on your hero all the time, it's bad.

People like you are the reason I don't play MOBAs. I came in here being a bit excited about the revamp, and although I've never gotten into DOTA2, thinking now I might give it a shot.

Nope. This kind of attitude entirely turns me off and is all too common in this toxic genre. Such a shame that people act this way about a game. I play to have fun, not to be scolded on how to manage the game camera.

Hylian7

Cool down man, take a small step back and ask for more advice in the dota thread, it's fine.

TD in the early WC3 days sucked ass but still loved them. TDs in the late WC3 era were works of art.

Play the 100% correct way or don't play at all.

What a horrible stance to take.

Actually yes, because it goes this way in any game. If you don't, you are wasting your teammates time by just playing wrong becuase "you don't want to" It's like saying "Intentionally feed to give the other team false confidence then kill some of them and make a comeback" and not joking. If you don't want to play the game correctly, then that's on you.

It would be like playing Arma and saying "Why isn't this like Call of Duty?"

Hylian7

People like you are the reason I don't play MOBAs. I came in here being a bit excited about the revamp, and although I've never gotten into DOTA2, thinking now I might give it a shot.

Nope. This kind of attitude entirely turns me off and is all too common in this toxic genre. Such a shame that people act this way about a game. I play to have fun, not to be scolded on how to manage the game camera.

And you need to learn to actually understand that games have rules and ways you should play them, stop trying to pull this garbage that I'm a "toxic player", get your bullshit accusations out of here.

bounchfx

I'm quite surprised that there's no mention of the better/expanded tutorials in the Thread title. Seems like it would be the most relevant thing to most people.

finalflame

Gold Member
And you need to learn to actually understand that games have rules and ways you should play them, stop trying to pull this garbage that I'm a "toxic player", get your bullshit accusations out of here.

I play games to have fun buddy, and I have no interesting in being talked down to by people who are high and mighty over a game. The entire MOBA community is, in fact, toxic and not a gameplay experience I care to take part of. I don't understand why anyone would want to put up with this kind of high and mighty shit for any amount of time to play a game.

KevinRo

I mean, sure? You can play how you want, but there are 4 other people who play with you.

Hylian7

I play games to have fun buddy, and I have no interesting in being talked down to by people who are high and mighty over a game. The entire MOBA community is, in fact, toxic and not a gameplay experience I care to take part of. I don't understand why anyone would want to put up with this kind of high and mighty shit for any amount of time to play a game.

LOL

No one is "talking down" to you, just telling you how you should play something you don't know how to play. Stop trying to act like you can just invent your own rules and then say "I'M HAVING FUN" when you're the reason your team is losing. Maybe you should actually learn the game before spouting off garbage like this.

It's possible to have fun learning the game though. And camera control is an important part of playing it.

If you have no interest in the community and are new to Dota, try playing with bots. They will give you a good challenge for the first dozen of hours.
You can also play fun gamemodes, people are much more chill in them.

Actually yes, because it goes this way in any game. If you don't, you are wasting your teammates time by just playing wrong becuase "you don't want to" It's like saying "Intentionally feed to give the other team false confidence then kill some of them and make a comeback" and not joking. If you don't want to play the game correctly, then that's on you.

You have wasted everyone's time in the Dota community thread countless times, you've been terrible for years now and are trying to give advice to people that show some interesting in getting their feet wet because you think your way of playing is the 100% correct way to play right off the bat? Come on, if they want to start off locking the camera, sure, it's not the best way to play but learning how to manage the chaos is one of the many thing you need to learn in DotA and if this helps them, hey, sure go ahead. You on the other hand aren't.

RudoIudo

Dota is a team based game where every player really counts.
If you wanna play this wrong you are wasting the time of 9 (NINE) persons.

Yeah a "game" is not a big deal, but time is.

barit

Awesome. Maybe now I can finally play it without getting constant bluescreens from it. Dota2 is the only game that fucks my computer up no matter how often I reinstall it or boot a fresh Windows version.

Hylian7

You have wasted everyone's time in the Dota community thread countless times, you've been terrible for years now and are trying to give advice to people that show some interesting in getting their feet wet because you think your way of playing is the 100% correct way to play right off the bat? Come on, if they want to start off locking the camera, sure, it's not the best way to play but learning how to manage the chaos is one of the many thing you need to learn in DotA and if this helps them, hey, sure go ahead. You on the other hand aren't.

And now we go to uncalled for personal attacks because you can't stand the fact that there is a right way to do things. Either play right, or don't play at all, it really is that simple, you can't just "invent your own way"

Dota is a team based game where every player really counts.
If you wanna play this wrong you are wasting the time of 9 (NINE) persons.

Yeah a "game" is not a big deal, but time is.
He wont be wasting their time because he will get matched with people who are equally good/Bad. That is what the mmr and Matchmaking is all about.
Neither you nor hylian or any other Player ever cared about their Camera movement in the first hours of Dota.
Hylian got Tips about his Camera movement like 3 weeks ago because he just watched his hero as mid laner.
Stop scaring New Players, we all sucked at the Start

Talk about generalizing.
You can play with locked camera sure but you'll be bad.
Theres a lot of things going on the map that you need to react too and if you lock the camera you'll miss out on a ton of information

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Give the new tutorial stuff a shot since it seems they are actually trying to teach more mechanics and game systems that way when it comes out if you want.
It really comes across as you talking him down because he hasn't even given the game a shot yet and are already saying that hes wrong and cant play that way.
bts_watermelon.gif

Even if they are super new they can have fun playing and never TP rotating. A semi-locked camera would be fine to help get people adjusted.

Stiler

Yeah, but here's the thing. The controls of the game are meant to control like an RTS, like an RTS, there is no "Hold one button to center on your main guy", it's double tapping. You are SELECTING the hero, people need to understand this concept about Dota.

Moba's may have spawned from RTS games but you (for the most part) control a singular character within the game.

So having the ability to quickly snap the camera back to your individual hero that you control when you're looking at another lane or checking sight somewhere else is something that I absolutely need and use.

I am not, and have never, asked to "lock" my camera, and I don't see how quickly centering it to my hero is "bad" practice or something

You arne't controlling hundreds of units or micro-manging a group of minions, with constnat need to select groups and sweep selections with your mouse.

Imagine, you're looking bot lane at a fight where your enemy is, then you notice a red dot on your minimap in your lane, you need to get the camera quickly back to your hero to see what's going on, so what do you do? In league/HON you simply hit space a single time and it quickly snaps the camera to your hero, no panning up with your mouse or having to move your mouse and click on the minimap, just a quick simple hotkey that takes about 0.1 second to do exactly what you need to do.

Falk

that puzzling face

I think Burger King might suit you better than MOBAs. You can have it your way.

Hylian7

He wont be wasting their time because he will get matched with people who are equally good/Bad. That is what the mmr and Matchmaking is all about.
Neither you nor hylian or any other Player ever cared about their Camera movement in the first hours of Dota.
Hylian got Tips about his Camera movement like 3 weeks ago because he just watched his hero as mid laner.
Stop scaring New Players, we all sucked at the Start

Stop perceiving tips on things as "scaring" people.

When I got tips on my camera movement, I didn't say "YOU'RE MAKING ME NOT WANT TO PLAY DOTA" to the people that gave actual criticism.

Also keep in mind that even in the low MMRs, there are always some people more experienced than others, and taking these advices on camera control can always help you, so there is literally no reason not to do it the correct way instead of intentionally sabotaging your team.

And now we go to uncalled for personal attacks because you can't stand the fact that there is a right way to do things. Either play right, or don't play at all, it really is that simple, you can't just "invent your own way"

I remember this saying, I think it was from a wise sage, name escapes me but I think it was something like this: "There is no hard and fast rule with dota." if I'm remembering this correctly. There are way to play better but this is a game with a lot of different people, with lots of different backgrounds getting tossed into a lobby with 9 other people. Some may not be so fast on the camera movement at the start or as fast with the clicking, that's okay. They may get lost in fights often and require the centering to help that, that's okay.

It's okay to be new to a game and be slow at it, that's the point of learning. As they gain more mastery over the controls, particles, sounds and abilities of the heroes and game, they'll start to speed up, maybe look at things differently then how they were, maybe not need the centering to help them out in fights after some time and that's okay too.

What's not okay is telling people to hit the ground running with all this shit they can't possibly do at the start if they lack a heavy RTS/Moba background. You could have suggested that, while centering is a fine at the start, you should be able to, with practice, move your camera around the fight and still have an idea of where your hero is, along with the rest of the heroes.

HooYaH

Stop perceiving tips on things as "scaring" people.

When I got tips on my camera movement, I didn't say "YOU'RE MAKING ME NOT WANT TO PLAY DOTA" to the people that gave actual criticism.

Also keep in mind that even in the low MMRs, there are always some people more experienced than others, and taking these advices on camera control can always help you, so there is literally no reason not to do it the correct way instead of intentionally sabotaging your team.

You guys really need to take this stuff over PM or something, I have a feeling you guys are really side tracking this thread.

Back to topic, quite surprise that DOTA will be Source 2 as its first game since it's not really that demanding compared to TF2 or CSGO.

Anno

It's a super competitive game that's balanced on a knifes edge from the word go, and one that can frequently last upwards of 40 minutes. It's no surprise that some people are going to be really insistent on people starting off on the right foot with the core concepts of the game.

That said, there are like 2000 ways to be bad at this game, so if locking your camera lets you master some of the others while feeling like you're in control then that's probably fine. Your first couple hundred games of unranked see very few rotations and basically no map awareness even for people who don't lock their view. It's certainly not a long term solution, though.

jerd

I mean, sure? You can play how you want, but there are 4 other people who play with you.

LOL

No one is "talking down" to you, just telling you how you should play something you don't know how to play. Stop trying to act like you can just invent your own rules and then say "I'M HAVING FUN" when you're the reason your team is losing. Maybe you should actually learn the game before spouting off garbage like this.

Damn all this was about camera lock? I thought the guy was talking about playing troll strats or something by the way you were reacting. You're familiar with the concept of mmr i assume right? If the way he plays really makes him that bad, then he'll be playing with others who are just as bad. Try to be at least slightly welcoming to new members of a community or don't talk to them at all imo

You can enter a test-your-heroes-abilties game with ONE CLICK! No more prepping bot games if you want to test Invoker strats for 2 minutes! Best update ever.

Hylian7

Damn all this was about camera lock? I thought the guy was talking about playing troll strats or something by the way you were reacting. You're familiar with the concept of mmr i assume right? If the way he plays really makes him that bad, then he'll be playing with others who are just as bad. Try to be at least slightly welcoming to new members of a community or don't talk to them at all imo

I was being welcoming, and they responded with garbage like this.

demidar

Thread got derailed even when League wasn't brought up. smh

That shit don't matter enough for 98% of people playing Dota.

OT: It's about time the damn time the client UI got revamped. It's so terrible.

Thread got derailed even when League wasn't brought up. smh

That shit don't matter enough for 98% of people playing Dota.

OT: It's about time the damn time the client UI got revamped. It's so terrible.
Well I mean some people dropped the T-word that kind of counts

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is this gonna split the community like 1.6/GO?

*I don't play DOTA, but I know in high-level comp games people are super anal about any kind of change, and understandably so.

docbon

worry not clone-san, we can now return to the majesty that is ~a dota reborn~.

with tools in hand, i will make the sickest custom mode and become electricfrog.

TommyT

Great updates! Like the direction this is going. Customizing, but still being able to pick and choose which 'traditional' elements you want to take advantage of if that's what you're used to. The Blizzard feel is strong with this update and direction! Keep it coming!

Nokterian

Goddamn this looks so slick! I really like also when customize my hero's without any hassle. This game is going to be the first to use Source 2 right? Also Dota TV really needed that overhaul and it looks fantastic.

Edit : After going through the thread goddamn a graveyard..

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I'm really excited for all the customizing options that could be added in Source 2, now everyone across all skill brackets can play however they....

cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png

hylian pls

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
HL3 is obviously a mod for Dota2r starring Tinker.

Moba's may have spawned from RTS games but you (for the most part) control a singular character within the game.

So having the ability to quickly snap the camera back to your individual hero that you control when you're looking at another lane or checking sight somewhere else is something that I absolutely need and use

I am not, and have never, asked to "lock" my camera, and I don't see how quickly centering it to my hero is "bad" practice or something

You arne't controlling hundreds of units or micro-manging a group of minions, with constnat need to select groups and sweep selections with your mouse.

Imagine, you're looking bot lane at a fight where your enemy is, then you notice a red dot on your minimap in your lane, you need to get the camera quickly back to your hero to see what's going on, so what do you do? In league/HON you simply hit space a single time and it quickly snaps the camera to your hero, no panning up with your mouse or having to move your mouse and click on the minimap, just a quick simple hotkey that takes about 0.1 second to do exactly what you need to do.

Dota 2 has this exact function though, it's just a double tap. And you can and will be controlling multiple units with many heroes, those that can summon minions or with an item many heroes use.

Anyways, love the spectator ui, this will be so good for the international.

Top Bottom