• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 3 details leak through survey [Up: Lots of info/character art]

Kem0sabe

The only time I had problems dealing with the speed of the game was setting up AOE. Still, when I did have problems with characters running all over the place, it was because I didn't set their first target. What was really nice was usually a party member would break off a current target to take advantage of an enemy disoriented, staggered, or brittle as soon as a cooldown was finished if you took the time to set the tactics appropriately.

I didn't think I had to be explicit in saying that the hack-in-slash gameplay was added in an attempt simplify things for less experienced users and an attempt to broaden the audience. Obviously this didn't happen because of the other more serious problems with the game stemming from a rushed schedule and talent drain. Of course the ensuing bad reviews dragged sales down hard.

Also, hack-n-slash and RPG mechanics overlap all the time. Labeling a game one doesn't mean that mechanics of the other cannot be found or implemented in it. And, just because both weren't executed optimally, doesn't mean that they couldn't have been done well if given better resources. Furthermore, it isn't like the RPG mechanics were wiped from the game like with MA2. I could foolishly dump all attribute points into fortitude if I didn't care about getting better weapons for everyone.

Anyway, I'll give DA3 a shot no matter what the mechanics as I'm interested to see if how Bioware will deal with critiques. Considering how MA3's gameplay was revised and the excellent support/updates the multiplayer was given, I'm anxious to see whether similar results are coming with DA3. Also, I guess I'm curious as to whether fans of DAO found DA2's and MA3's sins to be so grievous that they've already decided to stay away from DA3.

Old dogs don´t learn new tricks. The talent or the will aren´t there to deliver something that´s remarkably different from Bioware´s latest outings.

Trigger

The problem with comparing ME's growth over three games and the DA franchise is that ME's core gameplay wasn't scrapped. The ME team simply streamlined and tightened the shooting mechanics. DA scrapped the CRPG concept in favor of an action rpg. It's like the difference between refining a refining a drawing and starting on a new canvas.

So the thread was locked by a moderator over there. Is this real or a hoax? Was the moderator doing damage control?

This thread
was locked when the news of the survey initially broke. The moderator that locked the thread is just a volunteer mod and not an employee of BioWare, so he wouldn't have any inside info. For me, the proof that the survey is legit is the concept art, which is in the exact style as BioWare concept artist Matt Rhodes. Somebody didn't fake that.

This thread
over at BioWare Social has ongoing discussion of all the survey/leaks. I guess its possible they might lock that down.

This thread
was locked when the news of the survey initially broke. The moderator that locked the thread is just a volunteer mod and not an employee of BioWare, so he wouldn't have any inside info. For me, the proof that the survey is legit is the concept art, which is in the exact style as BioWare concept artist Matt Rhodes. Somebody didn't fake that.

This thread
over at BioWare Social has ongoing discussion of all the survey/leaks. I guess its possible they might lock that down.

Thank you!

The concept art of the characters keeps getting pulled. :/

Patryn

I didn't think I had to be explicit in saying that the hack-in-slash gameplay was added in an attempt simplify things for less experienced users and an attempt to broaden the audience. Obviously this didn't happen because of the other more serious problems with the game stemming from a rushed schedule and talent drain. Of course the ensuing bad reviews dragged sales down hard.

Also, hack-n-slash and RPG mechanics overlap all the time. Labeling a game one doesn't mean that mechanics of the other cannot be found or implemented in it. And, just because both weren't executed optimally, doesn't mean that they couldn't have been done well if given better resources. Furthermore, it isn't like the RPG mechanics were wiped from the game like with MA2. I could foolishly dump all attribute points into fortitude if I didn't care about getting better weapons for everyone.

"Attempt" is a very important word to omit. The way you wrote it, you sounded like you were saying it was a fait accompli, and that it had appealed to a broader audience.

The Adder

Banned
I'd settle for less romance options and have the one or two that are available actually tie into the overall story so those romances dont feel like pointless mini-games for people who squee with joy when two video game characters get it on

I can't possibly be unique in enjoying building up my character's relationship and then immediately skipping the uncomfortable sex scene.

I can't possibly be unique in enjoying building up my character's relationship and then immediately skipping the uncomfortable sex scene.

You don't enjoy RealDoll sex?

I still have hopes that the game will be good, but the updated plot synopsis leaves me rather unimpressed. Then again, I suppose BioWare is better at grand plots than nuanced tales, so maybe it's better they're going back to that structure.

Mark Darrah, Executive Producer of all things Dragon Age, posted this today on BioWare Social, in the thread over there detailing the survey leaks:

I know that a lot of information seems to have surfaced recently and a lot of you have questions. We have not announced anything and, as I have said before, we won't be talking about anything until we have gameplay to back up the words.

I know it is difficult to be patient but I ask you to do your best to allow us to surprise and delight you when we DO have something to show you.

In the meantime, keep giving us your feedback at expos, fan conventions, and online. We are listening.

This is in line with what Laidlaw has mentioned, that BioWare isn't going to seemingly announce or do much anything officially with Dragon Age 3 until they can show off legitimate gameplay too.

I really wish they'd stop saying "surprise and delight." Seriously, anytime Muzyka, Zeschuk or any of the BioWare people give interviews its all over the place. Worse than "emotionally engaging."

Top Bottom