• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

bbd23

Hahah so i was messing with the ambient occlusion setting and i didn't even have to restart the game to see things change...I wonder if its like that for all settings...

I mean its quite clear that it changed + fps differences

Wow, not that I expected much but those 750ti numbers look really bad.

Might be time to upgrade my R9 270 depending on how much better the "optimized" mantle drivers look. Anything sub-30fps with less than max is going to drive me nuts.

Salaadin

For those with long loads, did you make any graphical tweaks in Nvidia CP or Nividia Inspector?

I was screwing around earlier and accidentally made some changes to the DA:I profile in Nvidia Control Panel and it resulted in me having extremely long loads. Once I went back and changed what I did, they dropped back to to around 15-20 seconds.

Is this a serious reply? Even a heavily modified Skyrim doesn't take me more than eight seconds on a mechanical drive. Most games are five seconds or less. I haven't seen such bad loading times since 2007. It feels like playing on a console.

This doesn't sound good. Looks like there's enough problems with the PC version that I'm going to hold off a while for patches and a discount.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wow, not that I expected much but those 750ti numbers look really bad.

Might be time to upgrade my R9 270 depending on how much better the "optimized" mantle drivers look. Anything sub-30fps with less than max is going to drive me nuts.

The 750 Ti numbers are because it's on Ultra with 4xMSAA. That's just unrealistic.

KePoW

Banned
For those with long loads, did you make any graphical tweaks in Nvidia CP or Nividia Inspector?

I was screwing around earlier and accidentally made some changes to the DA:I profile in Nvidia Control Panel and it resulted in me having extremely long loads. Once I went back and changed what I did, they dropped back to to around 15-20 seconds.

which specific settings??

Salaadin

which specific settings??

Vsync and Triple Buffering.

For some reason, the in game Vsync is worthless as I still get screen tears so I went to change the setting on the driver side and it drastically increased my load times AND I still had screen tears.

I guess tearing is just something Im going to have to deal with in this game. No idea why it isnt working.

Not sure if this was posted or not:

XJSMJ8S.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure if anyone's said this already, but according to TotalBiscuit, turning off MSAA completely will give you a 10-15FPS boost.

yeah MSAA doesnt play nice with frostbite. I had to drop it down to 2x to get locked 60fps on hinterlands at 1080p

Not sure if this was posted or not

it was :) Im wondering if im the only one (surely not) that hasnt had any sutter/jitter since the 60fps command line fix? I had some jittering on haven, but since being in Hinterlands the cutscenes are fine, like I said earlier, I actually thought they patched something

Van Owen

Banned
Playing on my monitor at 1920x1200 my performance was sort of shitty with lots of drops when parts were before running fine at 50-60 fps. Started playing on my TV tonight and the performance was WAY smoother. Sometimes I don't know how much testing is done with 16:10 monitors or something, because the increased pixel count shouldn't be causing as many hiccups as I was getting.

CND

Neo Member
Can someone with an i7 test with both HT on and off?

For BF4 (same engine) leaving it enabled actually helped quite a bit, and would be useful information for those who leave it disabled for higher OC'ing.

Corsick

Anyone get a message saying "some features are unavailable on this screen." I also lost access to some of my abilities as well, they don't show up on my radial menu (using a controller) anymore. Not sure how to put them back on there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone get a message saying "some features are unavailable on this screen." I also lost access to some of my abilities as well, they don't show up on my radial menu (using a controller) anymore. Not sure how to put them back on there.

I saw that when I wanted to save or teleport to a camp and was still in combat

Hahah so i was messing with the ambient occlusion setting and i didn't even have to restart the game to see things change...I wonder if its like that for all settings...

I mean its quite clear that it changed + fps differences

Quite a few of the settings do change on-the-fly without issue, even though that message box comes up. It's just that a lot of them require a restart for optimal performance, to clean some other things up, re-load other data, etc.

burgerdog

What are the settings that we're supposed to drop from ultra that are massive performance hogs and don't offer a whole lot of improvements?

Anyone playing this with a 670 ? Just wondering what kind of framerate/quality I can get on a single card.

I have a GTX 670 FTW 2Gig, I5 2500K OC'd, and 16 gig ram and get pretty close to a 60 fps with most everything on high and a few things on ultra. I do get drops into the low 50s, using both the new NVIDIA drivers and the command line fix for 60fps cuts scenes. This is all running at 1080p on a television.

However when I get home from work I should have GTX 970 waiting for me at home so this should improve for me :).

What are the settings that we're supposed to drop from ultra that are massive performance hogs and don't offer a whole lot of improvements?

MSAA from 2x to Off.
Post-process quality (for cutscenes).
Effects quality.

Dropping Shadow Quality and Ambient Occlusion give a slightly more significant difference in image quality, but still look pretty good on High, in my opinion.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So... Anyone knows if the Nuveem version of this game is region locked?

I bought it on Nuuvem, it unlocked at 00:00 today, so no problem there ;)

I had to download an "English voice pack", but it seemed to be a dummy file, because it downloaded immediately and my game was fully in English (with both American and British set of voices, actually).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I have a GTX 670 FTW 2Gig, I5 2500K OC'd, and 16 gig ram and get pretty close to a 60 fps with most everything on high and a few things on ultra. I do get drops into the low 50s, using both the new NVIDIA drivers and the command line fix for 60fps cuts scenes. This is all running at 1080p on a television.

However when I get home from work I should have GTX 970 waiting for me at home so this should improve for me :).

Ah that's not too bad then :) A 970 shall be in my future as well, just not yet :(

burgerdog

MSAA from 2x to Off.
Post-process quality (for cutscenes).
Effects quality.

Dropping Shadow Quality and Ambient Occlusion give a slightly more significant difference in image quality, but still look pretty good on High, in my opinion.

Great, I'll try those settings. I wasn't satisfied with the framerate I was getting in the hinterlands.

robgrab

I'm playing with dual EVGA GTX 670 FTWs running in SLI and have been pleasantly surprised by how smooth it plays. Honestly turning on Vsync made the biggest difference in "smoothness" for me. Although I'm only playing it at 1080p most of my settings are either Ultra or High. I also enabled the 60fps cutscene hack and now cutscenes look great too. Perfomance will only get better as the game gets patched and new drivers continue to be released. So far I'm really enjoying it.

juanjux

Neo Member
- GTX 680 lighting, factory overclocking
- i5 3570K overclocked to 4.3Ghz

Settings: 1080p, everything to ultra except shadows and tessellation at medium, postFX at high and AA disabled. Vsync disabled.

Nvidia control panel: FXAA enabled and adaptive vsync to 60FPS.

RivaTuner OSD and Origin overlays disabled (this _definitively_ improved framerate).

This gets me 60FPS most of the time with dips to 50FPS, but pretty smooth and playable overall ("virtual 60FPS").

Cincaid

Been tinkering a small bit, and game play seems to be a steady and smooth 60fps. During conversations and cutscenes it can dip a bit (I guess due to more details on faces and stuff?), but not too much. Overall I'm super-happy with my performance and the game just looks absolutely fantastic.

• GTX970
  • i5-3570K
  • 16GB

Settings:
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO Full
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: Ultra
Multisample Anti-aliasing: Off
Post-process Anti-aliasing: High
Post-process Quality: High
Resolution: 1920x1080
Shadow Quality: High
Terrain Quality: High
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
Texture Quality: Ultra
Vegetation Quality: High
Water Quality: Ultra

Roven

Banned
So im playing on middle preset with effects on high
The only things that i dont like are shiny hair and stuff popping up
What are the settings that i have to set on high so that theses things dont happen anymore?

Ricker

My friend's game locks up after 5 or 10 minutes,with a DX11 message and some stuff about his GPU...he has a Dell Alienware type PC,his card is a GT645 I believe...he cant even ok the pop up error message ,he needs to reboot his PC manually...he passes all the other minimum requirements,even the recommended ones,except for his GPU...latest drivers and all...

He is doing a repair right now to see if that will help...any suggestions...?

EDIT: Saw the DX messages on the previous page,this is exactly what he is getting,I will try the solutions/links you guys posted,thanks.

JohngPR

I don't know if this has been discussed here already, but I found a viable screenshot solution for those running Mantle.

People have suggested going windowless in order to be able to take screenshots with Mantle, but another element that makes it super easy is to take advantage of Dropbox's screenshot taking capibility. Using that not only puts screenshots in your dropbox, but automatically has them up with a link you can get a use:

I'm still trying to gauge whether using this method has any impact on performance or not. I don't know as of yet.

Directions:

1. Under dropbox preferences, go to IMPORT and make sure that "Share screenshots using Dropbox" has a check next to it. You might also want to turn off notifications for Dropbox or you will get a "Screenshot taken" notification pop up every time you take a screenshot.

2. Change your display options to full screen windowed. If the game says that you have to restart for the setting to take effect, then do so.

3. From there you simply hit the print screen button to take the screenshots and when you get a URL to share such as: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6syq7ffp13e1wz/Screenshot 2014-11-20 09.33.58.png?dl=0

replace "www.dropbox.com" in the URL link with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" to get a direct link.

EDIT: Putting the game in fullscreen windowed seems to add extra hitching that isn't there for me otherwise, so YMMV.

Damn. :(

Herne

I'm getting awful performance in Haven (i5 2500, 12GB, 7970). Game is fine everywhere else so far. Anyone else have this issue?

Van Owen

Banned
I'm getting awful performance in Haven (i5 2500, 12GB, 7970). Game is fine everywhere else so far. Anyone else have this issue?

Haven has a ton of character models around when you first get there that drops your fps. That and Hinderlands drop me down to the 40s.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Putting the game in fullscreen windowed seems to add extra hitching that isn't there for me otherwise, so YMMV.

Damn. :(

It does that to me, too. Does printscreen not work for anyone else while using mantle? I'm running it fullscreen with mantle and that works for me to take screenshots.

KePoW

Banned
Does the console (tilde) not work when you're playing with a gamepad?

Any workaround for this? KB/M sucks in this game

Top Bottom