• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't know much about computer hardware.

I have an 8core AMD FX 8120 3.10 GHz processor. My graphics card is an AMD HD 6670.

Do these meet requirements? If I need to replace the graphics card, what would be a good match for my processor?

IceIpor

I don't know much about computer hardware.

I have an 8core AMD FX 8120 3.10 GHz processor. My graphics card is an AMD HD 6670.

Do these meet requirements? If I need to replace the graphics card, what would be a good match for my processor?

If you're just upgrading your GPU for Dragon Age, I would recommend either AMD 285, 280X, or 290 so that you can use Mantle to offset the CPU overhead performance hit.

Otherwise Nvidia's 970 seems to be the "go-to" card at the moment for most games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If you're just upgrading your GPU for Dragon Age, I would recommend either AMD 285, 280X, or 290 so that you can use Mantle to offset the CPU overhead performance hit.

Otherwise Nvidia's 970 seems to be the "go-to" card at the moment for most games.

Do you think the 6670 will be "good enough"? maybe for low-mid settings with an 8 core 3.1 ghz processor?

Either way I bought the game so we'll see once it's installed.

IceIpor

Do you think the 6670 will be "good enough"? maybe for low-mid settings with an 8 core 3.1 ghz processor?

Either way I bought the game so we'll see once it's installed.

It will run on low I think.. Not sure how well since the GPU might be near minimum requirement listed.

Vitor711

980m, i7-4810MQ and running everything maxed (MSAA 2x) at 1920 x 1080. Only in the opening prologue bit so far (just got 4 party members) but game runs between 45-60FPS. Very pleasantly surprised.

Game doesn't really 'need' a locked 60 as is the case for an FPS or shooter, so the variation isn't bothering me at all (whereas the same 15 frame jumps are driving me insane in Far Cry 4). Game feels smooth and looks good. Although I chose the wrong hair colour for my inquisitor and am considering a do-over.. (the lightning on the character creations screen isn't great at giving you an idea of what certain colours actually are)

Oh that and everyone is referring to my dude as a 'her'. So, guess I got that bug.

The 30FPS lock on the cutscenes and dialogue is janky as hell though. Serious frame pacing issues or something because it doesn't feel like 30FPS at all. Guessing that's because I'm using MSI? I'll try disabling it later.

Sooo, this game uses Denuvo which is hardcore .exe DRM. Lords of the Fallen uses it too, and has had reports that it's a cause of bad performance. Any ideas?

Begaria

Game is freezing in the menu now with the latest Nvidia drivers for me :/

I'm on a AMD card and I'm also freezing at the menu. It's like a crap shoot whether I can even get to the point where I click on "Continue" to get into my saved game. Once I do load into a save and into the game proper, I get no freezes, but that damn menu makes me CTRL+ALT+DEL every other time I have to boot the game up.

This is on a fairly old system to:
- AMD quad core 3.4GHZ,
- 5850HD 1GigVRAM, 8 Gig DDR3
- running low settings (some medium), no AA, no mantle, no overlays/FRAPS
- Beta drivers put out on the 17th, visual c++ reinstall, 60 FPS command line entered

It's starting to piss me off.

parabolee

So I tried putting the game in Fullscreen mode. That did change some things; for the first time ever I was able to reach the end of the battle. However, it crashed when I did. With an error sign this time. It's not much, but a lot more handy then "simply" freezing.

I'm happy to hear someone fixed their issues. Didn't work for myself, unfortunately.

I was getting this error on my GTX 770 -

Dirext_Xerror.jpg

Reinstalled the DirectX from the folder. No luck. Installed this (on the recommendation of this site)-

Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4

And didn't have another crash after 3 hours of play. I also read that borderless windowed mode helps, so I have been using that.

Leatherface

TRUE and 1 are the same thing for boolean.

perfoverlay.drawfps 1 works just fine.

I just realized my issue. I was reading "perf" as "pref" as in "preferences". I don't know why my brain decided to screw with me on this one. Thanks a lot brain. :\

Thanks for the help guys. It worked. :)

Got my Surround settings figured out. I get around 40-60 fps with mostly high settings, max textures and no MSAA with my OC'd GTX 970 @ 5980x1080.

What I noticed was that ambient occlusion turned out rather demanding. There's a definite difference between SSAO and HBAO in quality and performance. There's also a performance difference between HBAO and HBAO Full, but no discernable image quality difference.

Effects quality also seemed to have a large impact on performance. Dropping it to medium helped performance a lot, and the reduction in spell effect quality is not that massive. I noticed though that there is some sort of a smoothing effect going on with the character model edges when effects are at Ultra, that helped with aliasing in addition to postAA.

Shadows made another big jump from medium to high, both in quality and performance. I preferred to keep them at high, since I could still keep 40+ fps. with shadows and effects at medium and ssao on I could've kept the framerate almost solid 60. The ingame benchmark gave 93.8/70.8 min/avg results, but it only ran 1920x1080 mode.

Warning: large image
d4cdfc3bf1.png

Gumbie

parabolee

Anyone else managed to get 5.1 sound working?

This is the first game that supports it that it doesn't work for me. No way to change settings to it either, just getting stereo mixed up :(

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Does anyone know how to get rid of the green fps counter on the top right?

How did you activate it? Through console commands or are you using user.cfg?

In console command just put in perfoverlay.drawfps 0, if you're using the user.cfg from a page or two back just delete that line from the doc.

Vitor711

Got my Surround settings figured out. I get around 40-60 fps with mostly high settings, max textures and no MSAA with my OC'd GTX 970 @ 5980x1080.

What I noticed was that ambient occlusion turned out rather demanding. There's a definite difference between SSAO and HBAO in quality and performance. There's also a performance difference between HBAO and HBAO Full, but no discernable image quality difference.

Effects quality also seemed to have a large impact on performance. Dropping it to medium helped performance a lot, and the reduction in spell effect quality is not that massive. I noticed though that there is some sort of a smoothing effect going on with the character model edges when effects are at Ultra, that helped with aliasing in addition to postAA.

Shadows made another big jump from medium to high, both in quality and performance. I preferred to keep them at high, since I could still keep 40+ fps. with shadows and effects at medium and ssao on I could've kept the framerate almost solid 60. The ingame benchmark gave 93.8/70.8 min/avg results, but it only ran 1920x1080 mode.

Great breakdown of the most performance sapping features. I'll drop some things down from Ultra then to see if I can hit a solid 60FPS with my 980m. It's only 20% slower than your 970 afterall in theory.

I'm getting 45-60 already but, if the visual sacrifices aren't that large, I wouldn't complain about a locked 60.

Denton

Sooo, this game uses Denuvo which is hardcore .exe DRM. Lords of the Fallen uses it too, and has had reports that it's a cause of bad performance. Any ideas?

I am playing Lords of the Fallen right now and performance is fine. Zero stuttering or crashes or any other issues and I get 40-60fps on maximum details (2500k +280x).

Arkanius

Startup: -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+ -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

This made the camera movement skipping like hell
It seems to have worsened the performance for me (AMD Mantle 280X here)

Shadownet

Banned
How did you activate it? Through console commands or are you using user.cfg?

In console command just put in perfoverlay.drawfps 0, if you're using the user.cfg from a page or two back just delete that line from the doc.

I guess the user.cfg file i got from reddit worked. yeah i deleted the perfoverlay and its gone. thanks.

is there a way to tell if mantle is being used? I have a 7950 which should be able to interpret mantle, but I just wasn't sure.

Quick question y'all. Thinking about getting this game for PC but I want to know how the online community is for it? If its low, ill just get it for PS4 then. I don't want it to be a another Titanfall or CoD were I buy the games and getting into matches is a hassle because no one is playing the game.

Qassim

The performance for me is excellent on this, I'm not getting the stuttering that some people are experience and the nice high framerate support in gameplay is really great, nice, smooth, consistent frame times.

4770K @ 4.5Ghz
2x GTX 780 SLI
16GB RAM
G-Sync, 144hz

Every setting on max (2x MSAA), 1920x1080. 4x MSAA still remains in the averages of 75fps or so, but 2xMSAA is good enough and I like having the nice higher average around the upper 80s low 90s, with maximum hitting into the 100s fairly often.

It also looks really great.

The only issue I have is that sometimes I see a fair few flickering textures in the cutscenes, this is regardless of the 60fps cutscene fix.

moop1167

Is anyone getting worse performance with the new nvidia drivers than the last ones? I feel like it went down a bit.

@Qassim - the flickering happens to me too and seems to be due to SLI. I am on SLI GTX 670's.

I guess apparently someone bought into the gaming pirates rhetoric at delegitimizing Denuvo. It might have problems, but it certainly doesn't atm.

Quick question y'all. Thinking about getting this game for PC but I want to know how the online community is for it? If its low, ill just get it for PS4 then. I don't want it to be a another Titanfall or CoD were I buy the games and getting into matches is a hassle because no one is playing the game.
The game just came out, so we don't know. Also I think most of the people here are buying it for the SP aspect, the MP is just a nice bonus.

sgs2008

Still quite a bit of stutter at 1440p on sli 780 tis tried dropping the textures and turning off aa to see if it was a vram issue but it didnt seem to help

Guri

With the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, we've been hearing a number of concerns from members of our PC community, including:

Driver support
Hitching and frame rate issues in cutscenes
Feedback on keyboard and mouse controls
General user interface optimizations for PC

We've been following these issues closely and are looking into them.

Player experience is a top priority for us. Our goal is to address as many of these as possible in our upcoming patches, including some in our next patch, which is underway. We’ll release further details in the coming days and will continue to monitor your concerns.

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate your contribution to making Dragon Age: Inquisition a better overall experience.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/521697-pc-community-concerns/

Sounds like I will be waiting for patches then. I got a new video card and I still get awful stutter. At least they have acknowledged the feedback so hopefully the fix all of the issues and improve the m/kb controls as well.

It actually is kind of nice to see acknowledgement of issues. It's not uncommon for the devs to not acknowledge issues until they are breaking the game to the point of getting gaming media coverage or they've actual already have a fix ready to release.

Gothos

KB+M controls are not that bad, but that tactical camera, jesus christ, it's so poorly designed. Why can't I zoom it out properly so it actually resembles any tactical view. Right now controlling it is just a mess: it zoomes in when I don't want it, it has limited scope of view, it's clunky and basically useless indoors. Just terrible.

Here is one potential fix I found if you're crashing right at the menu screen.

I tried it a couple times and it seemed to work. But then I still had the issue of getting past CC and getting stuck in gameplay in some no man's land right away instead of going to cutscenes.

I actually think I fixed that too, by just going back to the Default graphics settings. Which doesn't make much sense to me since the game defaults to higher settings than what I had previously selected.

The game auto-detects my hardware at high, with ultra texture. Game runs flawlessly, around 40-50 fps. I'll try more tweaks later.

PhenomII x4 955 BE 3,2Ghz
HD 7870 Ghz Edition
RAM 8 gb

Sanctuary

huh?? wat exactly is wrong with 30s to 45s load times?

doesn't sound too long to me on a mechanical drive

Is this a serious reply? Even a heavily modified Skyrim doesn't take me more than eight seconds on a mechanical drive. Most games are five seconds or less. I haven't seen such bad loading times since 2007. It feels like playing on a console.

Is this a serious reply? Even a heavily modified Skyrim doesn't take me more than eight seconds on a mechanical drive. Most games are five seconds or less. I haven't seen such bad loading times since 2007. It feels like playing on a console.

Crazy yours are so long. My load times are generally under 8 seconds and I'm running with a mid-range ssd.

Top Bottom