• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed an 8fps increase from turning off VSync, does the game have issues with this setting? I was at sub 60fps now I'm above 60fps all the time on medium. I can't wait until my GTX 970 arrives, my poor old GTX 680 is showing her age.

KePoW

Banned
I noticed an 8fps increase from turning off VSync, does the game have issues with this setting? I was at sub 60fps now I'm above 60fps all the time on medium. I can't wait until my GTX 970 arrives, my poor old GTX 680 is showing her age.

Most games run faster with vsync off so that's pretty normal

So you don't have to mess with the game properties anymore to get the correct shader options or have the game working properly in general? From what I read they patched it and fixed the problem, but I don't know if I missed something.

Kneecap

As noted above, the game frequently freezes my computer. Alt-F4 and Ctrl-Alt-Delete don't even work. AMD 7950 (with up to date drivers) with no overclocks, stock i5-2500K, no overclock, windows 7. All other games run fine. I can't finish a multi match without this happening, even if i play solo. Also affects single player although it may take up to 45 min or 1 hour to occur.

Game is unplayable. The game would frequently crash to desktop with no warning or error message before the multi DLC was available, but now it simply freezes the computer.

Yeesh.

KePoW

Banned
As noted above, the game frequently freezes my computer. Alt-F4 and Ctrl-Alt-Delete don't even work. AMD 7950 (with up to date drivers) with no overclocks, stock i5-2500K, no overclock, windows 7. All other games run fine. I can't finish a multi match without this happening, even if i play solo. Also affects single player although it may take up to 45 min or 1 hour to occur.

Game is unplayable. The game would frequently crash to desktop with no warning or error message before the multi DLC was available, but now it simply freezes the computer.

are you using any special user command line parameters?

Kneecap

Thanks for the reply. I am not using any command line parameters.

Also, this seems to be a common problem as a google search on "Dragon Age Inquisition Game Freezing" suggests.

No one else here has this problem?

So that bug where you can't select a dialogue option wasn't fixed? It popped up for the first time today in over 250 hours of game time. It could be worse I guess.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch, Redcliffe Village has some serious performance issues for me. I'm there now and if I look in certain directions I drop as low as 30fps which is by far the lowest frame rate I've seen so far. Outside questing I'm at 60fps locked 99% of the time and it's only towns that drop me, but usually to 40 - 50fps so Redcliffe is considerably worse. I'm playing on a mix of high/ultra with a GTX 970/i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz.

Tankshell

Ouch, Redcliffe Village has some serious performance issues for me. I'm there now and if I look in certain directions I drop as low as 30fps which is by far the lowest frame rate I've seen so far. Outside questing I'm at 60fps locked 99% of the time and it's only towns that drop me, but usually to 40 - 50fps so Redcliffe is considerably worse. I'm playing on a mix of high/ultra with a GTX 970/i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz.

Same. If it helps, it is the only place in the entire game like that. I am on the last story quest and have done all the other regions 100%, and Redcliff was by far the worst.

KePoW

Banned

What Tank said, that's just how it is. I wouldn't worry about it, it's a very small minor location in the game

I certainly wouldn't change any settings just for Redcliff

Paganmoon

This game is giving me a headache. Running Core i5 750@4ghz (yes, it's a very old CPU), with a AMD 7970, and the FPS is all over the place, can go from mid 100's to 30 FPS within the same scene, trying to figure what settings are most CPU heavy to maybe get more stable FPS (since I'm guessing I'm very CPU limited). Automatic settings atleast seem to be way too high, setting high tessellation and post processing quality (not Post processing AA), and textures to "fade touched".

Any pointers?

Takuan

Thanks for the reply. I am not using any command line parameters.

Also, this seems to be a common problem as a google search on "Dragon Age Inquisition Game Freezing" suggests.

No one else here has this problem?

I'm on your exact setup, except I'm overclocking the CPU and am running Win 8.1. I have experienced hard freezing on a few occasions, both after extended play sessions (talking 3 hours in). I deal with it, treat it as a sign that it's time to take a break. I'm using the Mantle API after experiencing stability issues in DX11 and running Ultra settings.

Do you have any issues with the AMD Gaming Evolved app? It seems to conflict with the game for me and I need to close it before starting; otherwise, it loads ultra-slow and keeps reporting record errors without any input from me. It's not a big deal since I don't use the app, but it's a touch annoying.

This game is giving me a headache. Running Core i5 750@4ghz (yes, it's a very old CPU), with a AMD 7970, and the FPS is all over the place, can go from mid 100's to 30 FPS within the same scene, trying to figure what settings are most CPU heavy to maybe get more stable FPS (since I'm guessing I'm very CPU limited). Automatic settings atleast seem to be way too high, setting high tessellation and post processing quality (not Post processing AA), and textures to "fade touched".

Any pointers?
Switch to Mantle API in your graphics settings. I experienced the exact same inexplicable performance fluctuations in DX11. Mantle is far more consistent for me, personally.

Paganmoon

Switch to Mantle API in your graphics settings. I experienced the exact same inexplicable performance fluctuations in DX11. Mantle is far more consistent for me, personally.

Yeah, switched to Mantle, lowered some settings, now I'm getting a much better stable 70FPS, will have to do some more tweaks as I find them, thanks.

d00d3n

After being disappointed with the SLI support in most big releases the last autumn, I decided to wait with this game. Because, you know, at least the game breaking SLI bugs should have been fixed a couple of months down the line ... Right? Nope. After taking my time creating a character, and trying to play through the tutorial, I was met with horrible texture flickering that can only be described as game breaking.

There is no official or unofficial fix for this huge issue that was present day 1. Bioware has made no comment about the issue. This is two months after the official release date for the game.

WTF is this?

After being disappointed with the SLI support in most big releases the last autumn, I decided to wait with this game. Because, you know, at least the game breaking SLI bugs should have been fixed a couple of months down the line ... Right? Nope. After taking my time creating a character, and trying to play through the tutorial, I was met with horrible texture flickering that can only be described as game breaking.

There is no official or unofficial fix for this huge issue that was present day 1. Bioware has made no comment about the issue. This is two months after the official release date for the game.

WTF is this?

Yeah, I've been waiting also. I bought day one and still haven't been able to get further than 30 minutes into the game. This is some bullshit it's been long enough for either them or Nvidia to fix the texture flickering.

d00d3n

Yeah, I've been waiting also. I bought day one and still haven't been able to get further than 30 minutes into the game. This is some bullshit it's been long enough for either them or Nvidia to fix the texture flickering.

Bioware put up patch notes for the upcoming 1.03 pc update:

=============================

Dragon Age™: Inquisition 1.03

=============================

From a development standpoint, Patch 3 was a small, bug-fix only patch to address some high-frequency issues affecting the majority of our players.

General

Added key binding that allows players to walk.

Added mouse cursor scaling.

Fixed issue that could result in the mouse getting stuck in mouse-look mode when players alt-tabbed out of the game in full-screen mode.

Fixed display bars to correctly reflect items that alter maximum health.

Single-Player

Changed party banter system to be less random to prevent extra-long periods where no conversations would occur.

Fixed issue that could result in one of Dorian’s conversations not being available for some players.

Fixed issue that could result in a cutscene not firing for Dorian’s plot when players enter the Gull and Lantern.

Fixed issue that could result in Sera’s Verchiel plot being broken.

Fixed issue with the demon that could spawn during Solas’s personal quest.

Changed Tactical Camera so that it no longer re-centers when the player changes party members.

Fixed exploit that allowed for infinite influence.

Fixed issue that allowed players to exploit their gold value in single-player mode.

Fixed allied mage AI so they did not dispel targets that the player had frozen.

Fixed issue that caused the bar displaying armor rating to not update correctly for crafted gear.

Fixed issue that caused extra potions granted by items to be lost when players return to Skyhold.

Fixed issue that caused Mind Blast’s upgrade, Fortifying Blast, to not provide additional barrier.

Fixed issue that could result in the opt-in conversation UI continuing to be displayed if players opted out very quickly as the UI was starting to be displayed.

Fixed issue that could result in the world map being permanently displayed in the Storm Coast.

Fixed issue that could result in being unable to switch party members after looting.

Fixed issue that could result in party members not following orders to revive a party member in Tactical Camera mode.

Fixed issue that could result in people being unable to discover all the regions in the Exalted Plains.

Fixed issue that could cause dragons to become unresponsive.

Fixed issue that would cause dragons to freeze during their roar.

Fixed issue that could cause some conversations to be “hitchy.”

Fixed issue that could cause Varric’s legs to do odd things in some opt-in conversations.

Fixed Masterwork Prowler Armor so it no longer distorts on certain characters.

Fixed issue that could cause Harmon to disappear in certain circumstances.

Fixed a few non-herb crafting materials that were showing up in the Herbs section of the inventory. They are now correctly in the Other section.

Multiplayer

Enabled push-to-talk functionality in the multiplayer end of match screen.

Enabled push-to-talk in the multiplayer armor upgrade menu.

Fixed issue where changing multiplayer match settings would take effect without confirming changes.

Fixed issue that could result in players entering multiplayer matches without any mapped abilities in certain circumstances.

Fixed case that could cause keys to not drop in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that would cause the potion mapped to the first slot to also be used when pushing the 9 key in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that would cause the camera to spin at the end of a multiplayer match and not display the end of match screen.

Fixed issue in multiplayer mode that would result in the healing portion of Rampage to stop working in certain circumstances.

Tuned Strength of Spirits to be more useful in multiplayer mode.

Tweaked the balance of the Demon Commander in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that could result in items not displaying their cards when chests are opened in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that could cause pots to respawn in certain circumstances in multiplayer mode.

No mention of fixing SLI texture flickering ... :(

The PCGamingWiki article for DA:I says that forcing anisotropic filtering through video card drivers causes shimmering textures, but I can't find any source or documentation on any other site relating to this issue. Is it true, or do you think they're just mistaking that for the SLI issues? I have 16x AF forced globally since a lot of games still don't have this as an option in game, DA:I included. Anyone else doing the same notice texture shimmering?

d00d3n

The PCGamingWiki article for DA:I says that forcing anisotropic filtering through video card drivers causes shimmering textures, but I can't find any source or documentation on any other site relating to this issue. Is it true, or do you think they're just mistaking that for the SLI issues? I have 16x AF forced globally since a lot of games still don't have this as an option in game, DA:I included. Anyone else doing the same notice texture shimmering?

I do not force 16x AF either globally or specifically for Inquisition, but I still got the texture issue.

d00d3n

Regarding the texture flickering with SLI ... I tested the vsync fix that is going around.

In-game vsync disabled, nvidia inspector vsync forced on/standard mode, quite notably decreased the persistent texture flickering during gameplay, but there is still flickering in cutscenes and sometimes right after when a cutscene transitions to normal gameplay. Walk away a couple of steps and the flickering disappears.

In-game vsync disabled, nvidia inspector vsync forced on/adaptive mode led to even worse flickering both inside and outside cutscenes.

I just attempted to play this game a few minutes ago with my Xbox 360 joypad and wireless adapter. When I try to press the left stick up or down it takes 4 or 5 presses before it registers in the options menu. The game was updated fully on Origin before I started and I tried Xpadder with mouse control to make sure the left stick was working correctly in game while emulating the mouse which it was.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

robgrab

NVIDIA just released their latest drivers (347.25). Those of us hoping for a speed bump will (again) be disappointed. This was taken directly from the release notes:

Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit Issues
Single GPU Issues
  • Dragon Age Inquisition runs poorly (stutters) on NVIDIA hardware. [1588023]

NVIDIA just released their latest drivers (347.25). Those of us hoping for a speed bump will (again) be disappointed. This was taken directly from the release notes:

Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit Issues
Single GPU Issues
  • Dragon Age Inquisition runs poorly (stutters) on NVIDIA hardware. [1588023]
Is this actually a performance decrease introduced by this new patch or just documentation of something that already exists?

robgrab

Is this actually a performance decrease introduced by this new patch or just documentation of something that already exists?

It was also in the release notes from the previous release so it's a problem that still hasn't been fixed. Curious that it states Single GPU since I'm running dual GTX 670FTW's in SLI. Also no mention of the same problem under Windows 8, which most people have been confirming on this thread

Arizato

My game really runs like shit for some reason, it doesn't matter if I have settings set to lowest or if I tweak it with the user.cfg option. I stutter in the main menu, in game, at the equip/levelling screen.

Currently using this in user.cfg

WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 1
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1

PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PerfOverlay.Enable 1
Render.DrawScreenInfo 0

thread.processorcount 4
thread.maxprocessorcount 4
thread.minfreeprocessorcount 0

It runs smooth around 46-60 FPS, but VERY frequently dips down to 10-18 FPS. I would like to think that my system is not that bad.

These are my specs:
Intel i5 760 2.8 GHz (Overclocked to 3.5 GHz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX 750Ti

Currently using the latest Nvidia driver. Do you have any suggestions?

What really makes me pissed is the fact I can run Battlefield 4 on High/Ultra with constant 60 FPS. How come that DA:I which runs on the same engine is so horribly optimized?

Kezen

Banned
My game really runs like shit for some reason, it doesn't matter if I have settings set to lowest or if I tweak it with the user.cfg option. I stutter in the main menu, in game, at the equip/levelling screen.

It runs smooth around 46-60 FPS, but VERY frequently dips down to 10-18 FPS. I would like to think that my system is not that bad.

These are my specs:
8GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX 750Ti

What really makes me pissed is the fact I can run Battlefield 4 on High/Ultra with constant 60 FPS. How come that DA:I which runs on the same engine is so horribly optimized?

Your performance perfectly aligns with your hardware (low end CPU + low end GPU).
Nothing wrong here. The game is VERY heavy on the CPU, moreso than BF4.

daninthemix

These are my specs:
8GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX 750Ti

Try turning off the Origin overlay. Try different ForceRenderAheadLimit settings (3 for example). Try ditching the user.cfg file to see if your settings are somehow complicating matters.

Arizato

Try turning off the Origin overlay. Try different ForceRenderAheadLimit settings (3 for example). Try ditching the user.cfg file to see if your settings are somehow complicating matters.

Yes, turned it off a few days ago and it gave me a small FPS boost. Changed the ForceRenderAheadLimit and it didn't seem to make much difference. Deleting the user.cfg seemed to reduce the amount of stuttering I got. Still annoying though.

Your performance perfectly aligns with your hardware (low end CPU + low end GPU).
Nothing wrong here. The game is VERY heavy on the CPU, moreso than BF4.

The engine and game are optimized just fine. Your GPU is low end, and CPU old. Performance seems par for the course based on your specs.

I won't deny that my system is old. However I have a friend who is on a slightly newer CPU, but uses the same GPU as me and he can play the game on high just fine.

If it is my CPU then the joke's on me. Currently looking for a job and have been for a long time. So I am living on a very low budget. What CPU for a good price would you recommend if I were to get a new one?

The i5 760 is still a relatively fast CPU and shouldn't be causing those drops. They're quite easy to clock up to so crank it up to 4GHz and see how you get on?

Are you playing from a HDD? I know Frostbite shits the bed on mechnaical disks WRT loading information.

Arizato

The i5 760 is still a relatively fast CPU and shouldn't be causing those drops. They're quite easy to clock up to so crank it up to 4GHz and see how you get on?

Are you playing from a HDD? I know Frostbite shits the bed on mechnaical disks WRT loading information.

Yeah. Now, I don't know Frostbite's inner workings. But wouldn't the game be running slow constantly if my system was THAT bad? I have never experienced a game dipping like this when I have played on a weak system. They've been struggling with the game all the time.

I overclocked it about 1 year ago and I had to do some really precise adjustments. Going over 3.5 GHz made my system unstable. Also, I should mention that I am not on a stock fan, so it's not that.

Yes, I am playing from an HDD. I have an SSD though the space is a little limited. I just thought SSD only effected the loadtimes. Could it make a difference if I put the game on an SSD instead?

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah. Now, I don't know Frostbite's inner workings. But wouldn't the game be running slow constantly if my system was THAT bad? I have never experienced a game dipping like this when I have played on a weak system. They've been struggling with the game all the time.

I overclocked it about 1 year ago and I had to do some really precise adjustments. Going over 3.5 GHz made my system unstable. Also, I should mention that I am not on a stock fan, so it's not that.

Yes, I am playing from an HDD. I have an SSD though the space is a little limited. I just thought SSD only effected the loadtimes. Could it make a difference if I put the game on an SSD instead?

It dips because there are cpu heavy areas, such as towns. CPU power is important in open world games as there are a lot of systems running in the background. these games also have a lot of variability when it comes to scene complexity, which cannot be controlled or optimized in the same way something like BF4 on single player.

The SSD will change load times, it won't make the frame rate increase.

Arizato

It dips because there are cpu heavy areas, such as towns. CPU power is important in open world games as there are a lot of systems running in the background. these games also have a lot of variability when it comes to scene complexity, which cannot be controlled or optimized in the same way something like BF4 on single player.

The SSD will change load times, it won't make the frame rate increase.

Sure, I can buy that. But it still does not explain why I am stuttering in the menus. Even the main menu stutters like crazy.

tuxfool

Banned
Sure, I can buy that. But it still does not explain why I am stuttering in the menus. Even the main menu stutters like crazy.

Ah, you're right. It shouldn't stutter in the menus. I also would say that disk thrashing wouldn't really affect those either.

Top Bottom