• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Slaythe

There is nothing wrong with any of these characters.

But that's only after the characters that are fleshed out in the manga get in. Be it in a sequel or through DLC.

Certainly not when the roster is so limited. This game is being extremely faithful to the manga/anime, it's not going to get completely invented movesets for those characters.

Arale is like the only fleshed out character but she's also not really from Dragon Ball so I'm not too sure.

She would be a great character though.

Let's hope they eventually get some of the DB Super girls (that are not just Kale and Caulifla btw), more diversity is good, but adding random girls that never really fought, or fought more than once, because "they're girls" over proper fighters (alien or male), is a piss poor reason IMO.

Dragon Ball is a sausage fest, this is well known, DB Super is trying to correct that, but not yet fleshed out enough to be in such game, for now if you crave anime girls go play Guilty Gear of Blazblue.

It would be cool if the beta was immediately the day after the signups.

I just need to play this game. Watching vids ain't enough.

I think it's in august but we're only 4 days away from it !!!

cordy

Banned
Let's see some updated rosters. I'll still go with my list. Here's 25 characters and that's my max. Select screen looks like it's ripe for 24 so if they put a 25th then I can see Beerus fixing in the middle there.

- Goku // SSB Goku
- Vegeta // SSB Vegeta
- Cell Games Gohan
- Trunks
- Piccolo
- Krillin
- Freeza
- Perfect Cell
- Majin Buu
- Nappa
- Captain Ginyu (w/ Force as part of his attacks)
- Android 18
- Android 17 (had to include him based on Slaythe's post)
- Android 16 (tank but has fist projectiles)
- Super Buu or Kid Buu (or maybe one's an install for the other)
- Ultimate Gohan
- Gotenks
- Hercule
- Broly
- Hit
- Beerus
- Master Roshi
- Bulma (with robot) or Videl or even Tien, just some human
- Omega Shenron (only for GT representation)
- Goku Black or Fused Zamasu

DLC will probably be some more Super characters like either Goku Black/Fused Zamasu depending on who doesn't get in the game, Tien and some others.

The roster size is a big thing here. There's so many important characters to the franchise who have unique playstyles that I can see them taking advantage of.

My most wanted characters in the moment are Caulifla, Ultimate Gohan, 16, and 17. If all of them got in, I can't complain. I'd be OK with Cauli as DLC.

I'd love to have Videl and GT Pan too.

Slaythe

Let's see some updated rosters. I'll still go with my list. Here's 25 characters and that's my max. Select screen looks like it's ripe for 24 so if they put a 25th then I can see Beerus fixing in the middle there.

- Goku // SSB Goku
- Vegeta // SSB Vegeta
- Cell Games Gohan
- Trunks
- Piccolo
- Krillin
- Freeza
- Perfect Cell
- Majin Buu
- Nappa
- Captain Ginyu (w/ Force as part of his attacks)
- Android 18
- Android 17 (had to include him based on Slaythe's post)
- Android 16 (tank but has fist projectiles)
- Super Buu or Kid Buu (or maybe one's an install for the other)
- Ultimate Gohan
- Gotenks
- Hercule
- Broly
- Hit
- Beerus
- Master Roshi
- Bulma (with robot) or Videl or even Tien, just some human
- Omega Shenron (only for GT representation)
- Goku Black or Fused Zamasu

DLC will probably be some more Super characters, Tien and some others.

The roster size is a big thing here.

Remove Omega Sheron (they're gonna shoehorn Bardock), and confirm Tien over Bulma, and i think this roster would be absolutely amazing for a first game.

Add Caulifla / Kale, Jiren, Janemba, Brianne, maybe a Super Trunks that would be an update like SSB Goku and Vegeta for regular Trunks.

I also think Black and 17 might be DLC because they sell.

Due to the limited roster, I'm curious how they're gunna approach less powerful/popular show characters vs popular movie/non-canon characters. Like, if it comes down to it, are we going to see characters like Tien, Roshi and Videl or Janemba, Bardock and Cooler? It feels like it'd be tough to fit all of em in a small-ish roster and it'd be the kind of decision they'd have to face.

AESplusF

Due to the limited roster, I'm curious how they're gunna approach less powerful/popular show characters vs popular movie/non-canon characters. Like, if it comes down to it, are we going to see characters like Tien, Roshi and Videl or Janemba, Bardock and Cooler? It feels like it'd be tough to fit all of em in a small-ish roster and it'd be the kind of decision they'd have to face.

What characters are so important that they'd need to leave Tien and Roshi out in order to accomodate them?

Does bandai even care about canon vs noncanon

I doubt it

Slaythe

Canon has priority but there are a few exceptions, Broly and Bardock for instance, will be shoehorned.

Don't expect Cooler in this game.

Once they run out of characters they'll probably dig in movies and GT, but with Super going on it's not like they're running out. They'll probably add their favorites over time. (dev team)

cordy

Banned
Remove Omega Sheron (they're gonna shoehorn Bardock), and confirm Tien over Bulma, and i think this roster would be absolutely amazing for a first game.

Add Caulifla / Kale, Jiren, Janemba, Brianne, maybe a Super Trunks that would be an update like SSB Goku and Vegeta for regular Trunks.

Yeah I can see Omega Shenron being DLC and I can definitely see Tien over Bulma. The others would definitely be great for DLC or expansion.

This.
Just look at the characters currently revealed and the name of the game, "FighterZ" to realize that it's so obvious that this game will be based on vanilla DBZ.

GT and Super fanboys can go play Xenoverse.

"Vanilla DBZ"
Has Golden Freeza, Goku in his BoG(and current DBS) outfit, and Krillin in his F(and current DBS) outfit. Content from the final Z movies is already in the game, there's nothing "vanilla" about it.
Besides, the producer said we'd be getting characters from multiple series.
Also games that have actually used the Dragon Ball Z name (which this one isn't) have had non DBZ content.

Real Hero

This.
Just look at the characters currently revealed and the name of the game, "FighterZ" to realize that it's so obvious that this game will be based on vanilla DBZ.

Golden freeza and Beerus are not vanilla z, there will also be characters like Tien who have their movies for original DB.

NeonZ

Let's save joke characters for xenoverse please.

Xenoverse actually still hasn't included her in spite of having some related customization items since the first game. Although I guess it's partially because they'd need to make a new body type just for her, or make her look much older than she should, considering how the smallest characters have SSJ2 Gohan's body type right now.

LotusHD

Banned
This.

Lmao, I'm guessing stuff like Golden Frieza doesn't count because reasons

What characters are so important that they'd need to leave Tien and Roshi out in order to accomodate them?
I hope Roshi's in, I was wondering if there was like a single roster spot left and they had to decide between like Roshi or Janemba or Cooler, who they'd pick. Xenoverse 2 has Janemba & Cooler but no Roshi, for example.

With what everyone's saying, my roster, besides the announced characters and keeping it short, would be: Tien, Roshi, Ultimate Gohan, Videl, Android 17, Android 18, Gotenks, Kid Buu, Beerus, Hit, Black, Broly. That's 21 characters total. I could see those last 3 characters as maybe being DLC, since they seem like they'd be popular enough.

TreIII

Black at the very least is a safe bet.

cordy

Banned
The game ain't strictly Z but let's be real, Goku Black or Fused Zamasu is probably going to be the latest Super character we get.

Goku Black, hold it down!

LotusHD

Banned
It totally counts as DBZ because the movie has DBZ in it's title!

That's what I'm counting on hearing. I remember one guy said that he's only fine with Beerus because he showed up in the movie first instead of Super

The game ain't strictly Z but let's be real, Goku Black or Fused Zamasu is probably going to be the latest Super character we get.

Goku Black, hold it down!

Nothing to be real about, very few people are under the impression that anything past Goku Black has a legit chance of making it in.

Slaythe

Nobody needs to think anything past that will be in the game.

Think of it this way. Xenoverse 2 had time to add all of the Black saga content.

This game releases in 9 months. And then will have DLC.

Chances of having nothing past Black are kind of slim.

This game started development when Goku Black Hype was at full force, I'd be surprised if he's not in even as DLC

And 17 was the lucky character out of this arc because he was announced first right after Trunks arc finished. Back in November.

It totally counts as DBZ because the movie has DBZ in it's title!

They are not using the recent two movies for this game. So Golden Frieza is actually from Super.

cordy

Banned
Think of it this way. Xenoverse 2 had time to add all of the Black saga content.

This game releases in 9 months. And then will have DLC.

Chances of having nothing past Black are kind of slim.
As DLC I definitely think we'll go past the Goku Black saga but just not in the base game. The roster will be too small to add in those characters but DLC-wise it's a different story. In this case it's amount of characters. 17's the only one I can see making the cut and that's if they change his outfit up and give him additional moves but also because he's part of Z as well. All the brand new Super characters post the Goku Black arc just will have to be DLC and/or be in an expansion.

There won't be enough space for em.

DrDogg

Keep in mind that ASW is starting from scratch, so a smaller launch roster comparable to GGXrd Sign is likely.

I would also assume there's a larger budget for this game compared to GG, so that could mean more man power and/or more development time to get characters completed and in the starting roster.

NeonZ

The characters have less complete movesets, the designs are simpler, they have manga / anime poses as references, they also use a ton of their character art bank made for their dbz games over the years.

It's also years later after Sign, where they have stated they make characters a lot faster now that they are used to the tech. What takes a lot of time is balance and conception, but in DBZ things are less complex than in Xrd.

I expect 20 characters at the very least.

I'm pretty sure they're also doing less lighting variations for each animation than in GG Xrd too, which might be why the 2d illusion isn't as strong here.

Slaythe

I'm pretty sure they're also doing less lighting variations for each animation than in GG Xrd too, which might be why the 2d illusion isn't as strong here.

I think it's just that the models are unfinished. Gohan is overall extremely polished, while if you check Goku or Vegeta's frames, their anatomy can get wonky and has weird limb placements at times.

Either that or they rush to have a lot of characters.

I honestly think it's just an early build. Xrd was announced with unfinished model too, and the final game looked a ton better.

I just hope they at least fix supers, intros (goku pls), and stuff like this for characters that had less polish than others, that stay on screen longer than say, a jump animation.

edit :

The only reason the game was announced so soon was because they need to beta test their netcode. Bandai prefers shorter time between announcement and delivery. So I'm not too worried about the graphics !

Eylos

Banned
tumblr_nc2s02j1uV1tltnyuo1_400.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am salty.

Are you really? I meant it's good that they are going to delay it since they really want to make sure that they are going to make a good impression on customers and make sure the server would able to handle people. Hopefully they would do fantastic job with their beta, and I have no doubt with them backing by Namco-Bandai.

vJR8gVL.gif

Also Patience might be a perfect word for the year as well.

Top Bottom