• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Judging from this videos, Max agrees with me that the game isnt coming out anytime soon (yes yes I know the trailers say "early 2018"). Its why this whole MvCI feud is bizarre to me, the games will come out like 6-8 months apart if not more.

Skab

Judging from this videos, Max agrees with me that the game isnt coming out anytime soon (yes yes I know the trailers say "early 2018"). Its why this whole MvCI feud is bizarre to me, the games will come out like 6-8 months apart if not more.

Yeah I really don't see the game being out before next summer at the earliest

It never made sense, especially when you factor in BN and Capcom's current relationship. People still acting like they can't play both.

That narrative was never based in reality. It was born out of a mix of excitement for this title and dissatisfaction with how MvCI was looking and current capcom in general

I really don't understand why people are taking it so seriously.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah I really don't see the game being out before next summer at the earliest

they would miss Evo if that was the case, and they probably dont want it. May maybe? We'll see.

DrDogg

Right now, Ni No Kuni is the only major release Namco has for Q1 2018. That alone makes me think they plan to release DBFZ before the end of Q1, meaning before April. Unless Code Vein somehow makes it into Q1 (currently slated for "2018") then Namco probably needs DBFZ to hit Q1 financial goals.

I don't think it will get delayed like Tekken 7 did.

Slaythe

Why do people think it's going to be delayed/isn't coming out any time soon?

I don't really want to watch a Maximilian video for that kind of speculation

Because it is... The game was said to be at around 20% of dev.

That being said they work fast.

I expect April release with disappointing roster that will be fleshed out with DLC for a while. Ultimately having a really solid roster.

That doesn't really answer my question at all though

People seem to be worried it won't be out by next summer and I'm trying to understand the basis of this concern

Skab

That doesn't really answer my question at all though

People seem to be worried it won't be out by next summer and I'm trying to understand the basis of this concern

Sure it does. The game is very early on in development still, about 20% as stated before, and as a result hitting a release date within the next 6-9 months is very unlikely.

When you even have the head of fighting games at bamco (Harada) acting like he knows they wont make that date, it's a pretty safe bet.

It's also the reason we haven't seen anything of Piccolo and Krillin yet. They have nothing to show at this point.

bubumiao

they would miss Evo if that was the case, and they probably dont want it. May maybe? We'll see.
Even if they don't release it in time for EVO, I think they'll have already shown it at E3 enough (2nd showing) that it'll sell like gang busters.

Once it eventually releases (whenever that may be, late summer 2018?).

Asd202

Don't know if this was mentionded but Max said in his latest Marvel video that he was Namco panel at SDCC and they said that the game is a lot more popular then they though it was going to be. He also speculates that maybe there going to give more dev time because of this.

Edit:

lol the above post, I'm late

DrDogg

Sure it does. The game is very early on in development still, about 20% as stated before, and as a result hitting a release date within the next 6-9 months is very unlikely.

When you even have the head of fighting games at bamco (Harada) acting like he knows they wont make that date, it's a pretty safe bet.

It's also the reason we haven't seen anything of Piccolo and Krillin yet. They have nothing to show at this point.

Was the game at 20% at E3 or was the E3 build at 20%? Because that's a big difference.

Slaythe

They had to know 10k wasn't going to be nearly enough for a property as popular as Dragon Ball. Did they really underestimate how hot Dragon Ball is right now??

It's a beta to get data, not a demo.

They're not gonna have 5 million keys or their servers would collapse.

I wouldn't expect a gigantic step up from that to be honest. It's just to let hardcore fans get in.

They'll have a proper demo later on I'm sure, that everyone can try out.

Rhaknar

Even if they don't release it in time for EVO, I think they'll have already shown it at E3 enough (2nd showing) that it'll sell like gang busters.

who said anything about sales? Gaf is obcessed with sales.

Im talking about the game being at the biggest tournment of the year so I can watch some hype shit.

mas8705

For "Release it in time for EVO," that I can argue how that is false (to some extent). Techinically speaking in spite of Tekken 7 just being released a few months ago, this was the third year since it was out in Japan in the arcades. The catch though was that this was released on March 18th 2015 in arcades while the announcement for said game came out on January 30th 2015; two months prior to the game being released in Japan in arcades.

Now... how does that translate here? It is difficult to say considering a few circumstances.

1) You can argue that because it was a "long running series" it wasn't like there was going to be a lot to have to relearn. In the case of Dragon Ball FighterZ, this is a new game, so it isn't like there is anything you can just "pick up" from like in other cases.

2) Pretty sure that before the announcement, it was known that the game was going to come out in March 18 for a short while, thus while it wouldn't give players that much time to get ready (no pun intended), at least players would know that it was coming. For DBFZ, the only way we could confirm this to be the case is if before the end of the year, we do get that definitive release date.

Say that the game could be out in say... April. Well in that case if the interest would be up there, Mr. Wizard could still come out and say, "This will mark the 1st year DBFZ will be at EVO's main stage!" and tell everyone that they will only have three months to be ready to put on a show. The game probably would fall under the same category as DLC fighters where as long as the game has been out for just long enough, that would give players enough time to learn the meta.

That said if we find out that the game either doesn't have a release by the end of the year, or if the game has a release date for the Summer, then the game will either get pushed off to the side for one more year, or it will have another unofficial side tournament like there was this year.

DrDogg

For "Release it in time for EVO," that I can argue how that is false (to some extent). Techinically speaking in spite of Tekken 7 just being released a few months ago, this was the third year since it was out in Japan in the arcades. The catch though was that this was released on March 18th 2015 in arcades while the announcement for said game came out on January 30th 2015; two months prior to the game being released in Japan in arcades.

Now... how does that translate here? It is difficult to say considering a few circumstances.

1) You can argue that because it was a "long running series" it wasn't like there was going to be a lot to have to relearn. In the case of Dragon Ball FighterZ, this is a new game, so it isn't like there is anything you can just "pick up" from like in other cases.

2) Pretty sure that before the announcement, it was known that the game was going to come out in March 18 for a short while, thus while it wouldn't give players that much time to get ready (no pun intended), at least players would know that it was coming. For DBFZ, the only way we could confirm this to be the case is if before the end of the year, we do get that definitive release date.

Say that the game could be out in say... April. Well in that case if the interest would be up there, Mr. Wizard could still come out and say, "This will mark the 1st year DBFZ will be at EVO's main stage!" and tell everyone that they will only have three months to be ready to put on a show. The game probably would fall under the same category as DLC fighters where as long as the game has been out for just long enough, that would give players enough time to learn the meta.

That said if we find out that the game either doesn't have a release by the end of the year, or if the game has a release date for the Summer, then the game will either get pushed off to the side for one more year, or it will have another unofficial side tournament like there was this year.

Evo has a history of including big games that aren't available yet. Tekken, MKX, Injustice 2... all of them were not released when Evo games were announced for that year. MKX released in April and Injustice 2 released in May.

Given Evo's relationship with Namco and ArcSys, even if we don't have an official release date publicly, as long as Namco/ArcSys know internally that the game will release by mid-May or so, Evo will likely have that knowledge as well.

Wiz and the Cannon brothers aren't dumb. They know how big DBFZ can be at Evo. If there's a chance they can squeeze it in, they will do it. I'd say the cutoff would be a month before Evo, so sometime around the middle of June.

Slaythe

Yeah I spoke to his voice actor at my last con, and my question was "did you do your dragon ball super voice lines?"

^^^ And he replied with "I haven't done dragon ball super, but I have done my lines for fighterz"

^^^ I told him that android 17 hasn't been announced and he said Whoops. He didn't have to sign an NDA so i believe its fine

If he's lying I'm gonna personally find him and kick his ass.

ATGYTSt.gif

Slaythe

It's a shame he probably won't have his Super outfit.

A smart way would be having character variations with some different supers or something, this way you get blue goku, super trunks, super's 17 etc... and new costumes with it.

But we're talking DLC long after the game launches for those. Except Blue.

Zubz

Banned
I hope Piccolo ends up finding himself a nice girl.

I've always assumed Namekians are all ace, seeing how their species reproduces asexually, & was under the impression that an entire village helps rear a newborn, so neither romantic or sexual partnerships were ever a thing they culturally developed.

That said, he has a son, daughter-in-law, & granddaughter. He's fine.

How would people feel if Blue was just an alt color and didn't change how the characters played?

While alt costumes are most likely out of the question, Guilty Guilty Xrd has tons of colors for each character, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot here too and I imagine they'd want to take advantage of as many references as possible using 'em.

LotusHD

Banned
How would people feel if Blue was just an alt color and didn't change how the characters played?

While alt costumes are most likely out of the question, Guilty Guilty Xrd has tons of colors for each character, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot here too and I imagine they'd want to take advantage of as many references as possible using 'em.

As long as I get SSB Kaio-ken, I'm happy.

Wouldnt work. Goku transforms into SSJ3 on one special.

I wouldn't mind, I don't think SSB Goku/Vegeta has enough to make a unique character in a fighting game like this. Now SSB Vegito could be his own character given all the unique attacks he has.

NEO0MJ

A smart way would be having character variations with some different supers or something, this way you get blue goku, super trunks, super's 17 etc... and new costumes with it.

But we're talking DLC long after the game launches for those. Except Blue.

The way Arc develops their characters alt. costumes are a lot of work and not something they do often. Elphelt was the only one who got an alt. in GG Xrd.

TreIII

Good to hear about 17. Arc should be able to give him and his sister very entertaining movesets, as well as hopefully gameplay attributes.

Now, if only Hikaru Midorikawa was a loose lipped and had anything to say about 16...

Neoxon

Good to hear about 17. Arc should be able to give him and his sister very entertaining movesets, as well as hopefully gameplay attributes.

Now, if only Hikaru Midorikawa was a loose lipped and had anything to say about 16...
It was Chuck Huber who was loose-lipped, so you'd be better of getting something out of Jeremy Inman (16's English VA).

HardRojo

I think Blue Goku and Vegeta will definitely in as different characters, they'll mix things up for them for sure, and I really want to see Goku Black too with SSR as an install.

RocBase

Android 17 more or less confirmed?? Niiiiiiiiiiice

I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't get 16 in too... Team Android literally plays right into this type of game. How could they not have them in.

Top Bottom