• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

DrDogg

This is true, but I still choose to believe the cut off for new characters is at the Universe 6 arc. Or else Trunks would have had his Super design.

I hope I'm wrong and Goku Black is on the main roster, of course, but I just don't believe it.

I think the dev team is picking and choosing which outfits they prefer. I think they could've used Trunks DBS look, but instead chose to use the DBZ look instead. I don't think it was a matter of development time. Just a guess though.

HardRojo

No that's not bullshit, it's hard to make costumes, you got your characters in the game.

Want me to tell you what's bullshit though ?

I know Slaythe and I share your pain, I've definitely warmed up to 17 in Super and it sucks to not have him confirmed. Please understand my pain too.

43b.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It really looks like the looks are chosen to match where the characters moveset inspiration comes from.

You don't really see Perfect Cell pulling off moves from his other forms. Or Frieza doing anything that he did outside of his final form. Vegeta is using moves that he did in Saiyan armor times, and nothing he did in the more plain 1 piece suit that comes with Majin. Do you think we'll currently see 18 do anything that goes against her classic iconic Blue Jean outfit?

This probably helps them say a specific version of a character could take a whole slot later on. Much as Blue and older Saiyans are separate costumes, an Ikari / Super Trunks could have a whole new moveset compared to an Android Saga Trunks. Even Android Saga Trunks has 4 or so variations, for that matter.

And unlike many companies now-a-days, ASW does have a habit of locking certain characters, and even EX versions of base characters, behind story mode completion. Even if alt costumes aren't "Easy" for ASW current style... they're not impossible. We've got 2D sprite fighters that allow you to remove mask, change hair, remove accessories from sprites, and so on. If getting around these limits would allow the to fill the story mode with more battles and characters, I'm sure they could figure some time-saving methods out.

Slaythe

It really looks like the looks are chosen to match where the characters moveset inspiration comes from.

You don't really see Perfect Cell pulling off moves from his other forms. Or Frieza doing anything that he did outside of his final form. Vegeta is using moves that he did in Saiyan armor times, and nothing he did in the more plain 1 piece suit that comes with Majin. Do you think we'll currently see 18 do anything that goes against her classic iconic Blue Jean outfit?

This probably helps them say a specific version of a character could take a whole slot later on. Much as Blue and older Saiyans are separate costumes, an Ikari / Super Trunks could have a whole new moveset compared to an Android Saga Trunks. Even Android Saga Trunks has 4 or so variations, for that matter.

And unlike many companies now-a-days, ASW does have a habit of locking certain characters, and even EX versions of base characters, behind story mode completion. Even if alt costumes aren't "Easy" for ASW current style... they're not impossible. We've got 2D sprite fighters that allow you to remove mask, change hair, remove accessories from sprites, and so on. If getting around these limits would allow the to fill the story mode with more battles and characters, I'm sure they could figure some time-saving methods out.

18 uses the Kienzan.

TreIII

I don't know how likely the wolves would be because there's just so many other characters I'd imagine making it in before them, but it would be awesome if they were like Android 18 w/ 17. You play as one, and the other two you call in for certain moves, and their super moves would be their team up attacks.

My guess would be they pick Bergamo and he tags in the others for some supers. Then they all get together for the DANGER'S TRIANGLE!

I want them, too, but it's far too early for pretty much anybody from the ToP arc to be in this game. I do hope that Bergamo and co. are among those who'd be considered for DLC, though!

I think they've already said they don't want to do that

SSB is a special case.

Having two versions of future Trunks would be more redundant than even what the Tenkaichi and Xenoverse games do, in a game where characters require way more resources to create

Slaythe

SSB is a special case.

Having two versions of future Trunks would be more redundant than even what the Tenkaichi and Xenoverse games do, in a game where characters require way more resources to create

Not if they work like EX versions.

A Trunks DLC that has a new costume / intro / special / super attack and thus new combo options and playstyle, for 6/8 bucks = all trunks fans will buy.

Same for 17, his normals and fighting style are the same in Z and Super, the only thing that'd change is the costume and some new special moves. All his fans would buy that EX version dlc instantly.

It's less work for them to get that going than making characters from the ground up with new models new normals new gameplay concept etc... and it's a lot of money they'd be making.

i'm sure we'll get both, but that would be an easy for them to content the fans and also make money faster, while working on original characters like Caulifla and what not.

SSB is a special case.

It's not about whether it's the same character it's about what the character plays like. Super Trunks(SSR Trunks) has way different moves than Z Trunks. Off the top of my head

-Final Flash
-Galick Gun
-Mafuba
-Spirit Sword
-Final Hope Slash
-Sword Toss
-Blade Beam
-Self-Destruct
-Masenko

He would be a completely different character and a I think a really fun character which is why I want him in the game.

Slaythe

It's not about whether it's the same character it's about what the character plays like. Super Trunks(SSR Trunks) has way different moves than Z Trunks. Off the top of my head

-Final Flash
-Galick Gun
-Mafuba
-Spirit Sword
-Final Hope Slash
-Sword Toss
-Blade Beam
-Self-Destruct
-Masenko

He would be a completely different character and a I think a really fun character which is why I want him in the game.

He would have the exact same normals and only his special moves would change, but yes the special moves in the game dictate the gameplay they get.

Crocodile

He would have the exact same normals and only his special moves would change, but yes the special moves in the game dictate the gameplay they get.

A) Who says they can't/wouldn't change some of the normals?

B) Changing all the specials/supers and adding a transformation aren't.......nothing :p

Not that I'm saying Ikari Trunks NEEDS to be in the game but he's just as different if not more so from DBZ Trunks that SSJ Goku/Vegeta are from SSB Goku/Vegeta and we have both sets of Goku/Vegeta in the game.

Slaythe

Both of your statements are wrong but you're not a fighting game player so I forgive you.

giphy.gif

A) Who says they can't/wouldn't change some of the normals?

B) Changing all the specials/supers and adding a transformation aren't.......nothing :p

Not that I'm saying Ikari Trunks NEEDS to be in the game but he's just as different if not more so from DBZ Trunks that SSJ Goku/Vegeta are from SSB Goku/Vegeta and we have both sets of Goku/Vegeta in the game.

I didn't say it was nothing, I said it's easier than starting a character from scratch. Ikari would just be his default state (like Blue), genki sword would be the lv3, he needs a new lv 1, maybe garlick gun, then special moves can be the sword beam and sword toss. I believe he has Masenko already in the game.

Fandangox

I think ASW would chose to just make an alternate costume like that if the character would not be very different from the original. Havent really played BB, but the last palette swap I remember from GG was Robo-Ky and he eventually ended up becoming a very unique character.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
18 uses the Kienzan.

1! 1 thing! *CountLaugh.wav*

Welllll, Freeza's anti air is the shockwave he did in his 2nd form. That's about it though outside his intro animation being pulled from his first form, though that's not really a move.

2! *CountLaughAgain.mp3*

Seriuosly though, thanks. If they really wanted to make the Omni-character that covers the whole of one's life, I'm sure there'd be a lot more than this. If they can even be as different as Iori / Claw Iori, Rekka / Projectile Kyo, or Heidern / Leona, I'd be pretty happy with EX characters showing up. Especially when we know it's only 1 assist per character so far.

SSB is a special case.

Their short-term goals aren't to have a bunch of clones, but I definitely think they'll be more of it in the long term, or in a sequel. Classic Trunks could be FighterZ version, DBS F.Trunks could be Fighterz2 version, and so on. And with EX characters (like the Gold . Shadow variations in BB or GG), we rarely have those included as "unique character slots", they're more just cool ways to give you something to mess around with in casual play.

Players seem OK with having at least 1 Akuma-style character per game. Basically just a main character with an "angry" or "evil" modifier attached them, with a few fully unique moves. Adding mad voice samples and re-animating his face to make him look more fierce, would already cover a lot.

Now I'm gonna be slightly disappointed when there's no Rage Trunks with Lone Warrior playing, SHISHIGAMI BANG BANGBANGBANG style, lol.

Slaythe

I think ASW would chose to just make an alternate costume like that if the character would not be very different from the original. Havent really played BB, but the last palette swap I remember from GG was Robo-Ky and he eventually ended up becoming a very unique character.

That's not the same.

In an original fighting game they create what they want. It'd be dumb to make several versions of the characters if they're too similar.

In a licensed game where you have outdated versions of characters, having "EX versions" of sorts is perfectly fitting. And GG used to have Ex versions like that actually, so it wouldn't be a first. The only difference would be costumes added to those for a select few.

Slaythe

They're not going to make EX versions have exclusive costumes, that's just stupid and expensive.

That's what DLC are for. They'd get their money back and it's still faster and easier than creating new characters from scratch.

People would buy Ex Trunks and Ex 17 with their Super costumes. There aren't 50 candidates either. 18 maybe, Goku and another Gohan down the line, that's about it. Not every character would get that since the other characters didn't showcase anything worthwhile and also have the same costumes as they have in the game.

If this game was made a bit sooner, I'm sure Blue Goku and Vegeta would have the RoF costumes. But since they long discarded them, that saved them the trouble of creating the costumes.

FSLink

Banned
That's what DLC are for. They'd get their money back and it's still faster and easier than creating new characters from scratch.

People would buy Ex Trunks and Ex 17 with their Super costumes. There aren't 50 candidates either. 18 maybe, Goku and another Gohan down the line, that's about it. Not every character would get that since the other characters didn't showcase anything worthwhile and also have the same costumes as they have in the game.

If this game was made a bit sooner, I'm sure Blue Goku and Vegeta would have the RoF costumes. But since they long discarded them, that saved them the trouble of creating the costumes.

EX characters, sure, I could see them being DLC as they have done this in the past (BlazBlue). But EX characters with exclusive costumes....that takes up development time and money for a feature not many people would use. It would make way more sense to just have "Dragon Ball Super" Trunks as a separate character without being an EX character.

cordy

Banned
Honestly if there's DLC I expect it to be maybe 3-4 characters and they'll likely be

- Future Trunks Arc DBS Trunks
- Merged Zamasu
- Tournament of Power Android 17
- Roshi

Everyone else from the tournament arc will likely be saved for a sequel but you can knock out a few out these DLC characters here and be set for a while. Trunks shouldn't be too hard to change compared to the others honestly. Shouldn't be too difficult.

My DLC prediction is that there won't be as many DLC characters as people want. I also think Super characters are sadly more likely to come in as DLC. If GT gets any attention, it will be DLC. OG Dragon Ball will not get any representation.

Initial Roster:

SS Goku
SSB Goku
SS Vegeta
SSB Vegeta
SS2 Gohan
SS Future Trunks
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Krillen
Piccolo
Android 16
Android 18
Yamcha
Tien
Super Saiyan Gotenks
Ultimate/Mystic Gohan
Hercule
Captain Ginyu
Kid Buu
Beerus
SSR Goku Black
Legendary Super Saiyan Broly

DLC:

Hit
Merged Zamasu
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan 4 Goku

Neoxon

My DLC prediction is that there won't be as many DLC characters as people want. I also think Super characters are sadly more likely to come in as DLC. If GT gets any attention, it will be DLC. OG Dragon Ball will not get any representation.

Initial Roster:

SS Goku
SSB Goku
SS Vegeta
SSB Vegeta
SS2 Gohan
SS Future Trunks
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Krillen
Piccolo
Android 16
Android 18
Yamcha
Tien
Super Saiyan Gotenks
Ultimate/Mystic Gohan
Hercule
Captain Ginyu
Kid Buu
Beerus
SSR Goku Black

DLC:

Hit
Merged Zamasu
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan 4 Goku
Why no Hit on Day 1?

DrDogg

When/where are the beta signups?

I'm assuming it will be just like the Japanese beta sign-up where you do it on PSN (via PS4 or the site). We don't have confirmation, but not sure why they'd change it.

I can't imagine it would be pre-orders or anything as there's a limited number and I think we'd know by now if it was based on pre-orders.

Initial Roster:

This pretty much lines up with my Day One roster (minus DLC and I'm not so sure on Yamcha, Tenshinhan, or Ginyu), but I think Gotenks will be represented in SSJ3.

Initial Roster:

SS Goku
SSB Goku
SS Vegeta
SSB Vegeta
SS2 Gohan
SS Future Trunks
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Krillen
Piccolo
Android 16
Android 18
Yamcha
Tien
Super Saiyan Gotenks
Ultimate/Mystic Gohan
Hercule
Captain Ginyu
Kid Buu
Beerus
SSR Goku Black

DLC:

Hit
Merged Zamasu
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan 4 Goku

But technically OG Dragon Ball already has reps. Piccolo and Krillin originated from there.

Given the reception of the game I highly doubt we are only getting 4 DLC characters.

Neoxon

But technically OG Dragon Ball already has reps. Piccolo and Krillin originated from there.

Given the reception of the game I highly doubt we are only getting 4 DLC characters.
Likewise, I don't think they'll save Hit for DLC, especially when we know that the game will cover material up to the Future Trunks arc.

mas8705

Initial Roster:

SS Goku
SSB Goku
SS Vegeta
SSB Vegeta
SS2 Gohan
SS Future Trunks
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Krillen
Piccolo
Android 16
Android 18
Yamcha
Tien
Super Saiyan Gotenks
Ultimate/Mystic Gohan
Hercule
Captain Ginyu
Kid Buu
Beerus
SSR Goku Black

DLC:

Hit
Merged Zamasu
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan 4 Goku

I have to question why Hit is excluded too. If SSGSS KaioKen X10 was first used against Hit and if we did confirm that you can do just that in DBFZ, then it would only make sense that Hit would be added to the game as well. As for everything else, I can agree with those choices. Hercule could be a fun inclusion and Yamcha too... We do need to make that "ultimate underdog team" of Hercule, Yamcha and Krillin. ^_^

Likewise, I don't think they'll save Hit for DLC, especially when we know that the game will cover material up to the Future Trunks arc.

It does feel like it would cut off right before the F. Trunks arc. Otherwise if that were to happen, we'd probably see not just Goku Black, and possibly the Merged Zamasu, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we would see an Alt. Future Trunks playable too that would be more focused on his "Super" appearance, complete with the new SS form and the shining sword that he used to off Zamasu.

I honestly don't think Ginyu is likely at all, and I think Mr satan is very iffy since I'm not sure he has the moveset or abilities to work him into a more serious fighting game (unlike stuff like xenoverse which are more about fanservice)

mooncakes

Initial Roster:

SS Goku
SSB Goku
SS Vegeta
SSB Vegeta
SS2 Gohan
SS Future Trunks
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Krillen
Piccolo
Android 16
Android 18
Yamcha
Tien
Super Saiyan Gotenks
Ultimate/Mystic Gohan
Hercule
Captain Ginyu
Kid Buu
Beerus
SSR Goku Black

DLC:

Hit
Merged Zamasu
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan 4 Goku

Its a sausage fest and those choices are pretty safe. No Whis, no Chi-Chi, No Bulma..no out of the box character. ASW always does characters that we always don't expect. In every game they make, they always gotta have that one silly character like Faust/Teddy.

Its a sausage fest and those choices are pretty safe. No Whis, no Chi-Chi, No Bulma..no out of the box character. ASW always does characters that we always don't expect. In every game they make, they always gotta have that one silly character like Faust/Teddy.

*whispers* When's Arale...

A dragonball fighting game was always going to be a sausage fest. Not to mention you're equating their own original ips with a game based on an existing franchise (Yes P4A was too, but Teddy was never going to be a straightforward fighter no matter who made that game)

I'll say it again.

Babidi.

Neoxon

A Dragon Ball roster being a sausage fest is mostly unavoidable, and the likes of Kale, Caulifla, & Ribrianne were introduced too recently.

FSLink

Banned

Maybe not 4 DLC characters but I'd be highly (and pleasantly) surprised if we got much more than 4 in the near future.

People need to have their expectations checked, each character is gonna take awhile to develop. This ain't Xenoverse.

mas8705

ASW always does characters that we always don't expect. In every game they make, they always gotta have that one silly character like Faust/Teddy.

So you don't have any trust in our lord and savior, Mr. Satan? They have to do something to make him a feasible character, so I wouldn't be shocked if we did see a few moves that would be unorthodox but effective because it is being used by him.

Edit: Hell, What do you think Arale is? Even Vegeta knows just what kind of monster she is! (Not to mention that it would be fun to watch her split the planet in half so casually.)
6ff.gif

Top Bottom