• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Zubz

Banned
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, so I'll give a couple answers.

If you're asking why I don't think ABA will return soon in GG, no real reason other than that she isn't as popular as several other characters, so she's probably a lower priority unless they decide to ignore that.

If you're asking who ABA is, she was added to the series in Isuka so she's only been in three games. She starts off slow and weak, but she has a couple ways to change into a berserker mode that is fast and strong for a limited time, so she has to balance switching between the two forms throughout the match. It's a pretty cool playstyle.

Thanks! I actually do know ABA, but I thought she was more popular than that. I agree she could be a good template for Kale, but IIRC it might be an even better fit for Launch... If they don't forget she exists.

NeonZ

They won't pass up the opportunity.

Also, I'm kinda triggered by people wanting obscure characters right away when we don't even have important DB/Z/Super characters confirmed.

Next time you'll see people asking for the Ninja in Dragon Ball.

It's due to that comment about how the characters would please fans of all eras of the franchise. Somehow rather than just thinking about characters that were in multiple series, people started looking at minor characters that only appeared in one of them.

Neoxon

Definitely see these characters being in the base game. SSB will likely be transformations similar to Installs or might even be added onto Goku and Vegeta's movelists with a different ultimate selection. I say you add in Nappa, Ginyu, 16, Broly, Hit and Roshi and that'll likely be the base roster. They'll throw ya one GT character in there so it'll likely be Omega Shenron or something. This way you've got Super, GT and DB represented but it's also a mostly Z game.

Pretty safe roster though.
Swap Nappa for 17 & I'd somewhat agree.

Pretty sure he's a lock.

394B26F04C052B26FA316CEC202C9ECDC1AD2A42

They won't pass up the opportunity.

Also, I'm kinda triggered by people wanting obscure characters right away when we don't even have important DB/Z/Super characters confirmed.

Next time you'll see people asking for the Ninja in Dragon Ball.

Screw you, I want Captain G as a frog

Characters with big defining moments in the series are the ones who are gonna be in for sure

So ssj Goku and ssj3 goku
Súper vegeta( I'm surprised they didn't go with majin vegeta)
Ssj2 gohan
Super perfect cell
Majin buu(probably gonna add super buu and a kid buu transformation)
Frieza
Super Gotenks (ssj3 transformation)
U.Gohan
Super Vegito
The androids
Tien
Piccolo
Krillin
Future trunks

That's how I think they are gonna pick the main roster.

Rutger

Banned
Thanks! I actually do know ABA, but I thought she was more popular than that. I agree she could be a good template for Kale, but IIRC it might be an even better fit for Launch... If they don't forget she exists.

Well, she's not the least popular, but looking back at the results from the vote that added Dizzy, she was quite a bit behind several characters. Of course, popularity isn't the only thing that matters when Arcsys decides to add a character, so anything can happen, but I still feel she might be a lower priority for now.

And yeah, I think the playstyle would fit Launch better, but I also think Launch has far less of a chance than Kale at this point, so I'll take what I can get, haha.

cordy

Banned
Swap Nappa for 17 & I'd somewhat agree.
17's kinda a weird one for me because I only see us having 1 17 and it'll probably be Super's Tournament 17. They might be able to slide him in and have him be a Super representative (but having a mix of his Z stuff too) and it could work. If not that I'd say it depends where they were on the roster because he could be DLC or a preorder character. We'll see.

Slaythe

17's kinda a weird one for me because I only see us having 1 17 and it'll probably be Super's Tournament 17. They might be able to slide him in and have him be a Super representative (but having a mix of his Z stuff too) and it could work. If not that I'd say it depends where they were on the roster because he could be DLC or a preorder character. We'll see.

I don't know.

They gave Goku his Battle of Gods costume but Trunks is strictly Z.

So i'm pretty sure 18 will be in Z costume, it wouldn't make sense to have 17 in his Super costume.

Especially since he fights the same way (dodges, gut punch, spinning kick and no ki blast), just being "stronger".

I think it's gonna depend on what the story mode is.

There is nothing you can do with 16 since he literally has no fight besides imperfect Cell. With 17, you can have him as opponent in the future for Trunks, as well as for the Z fighters in the present, and being Piccolo's only real match in Z.

But since this is a 3v3 game and it starts with SSJ Goku and Vegeta, I doubt they're gonna do "canon story". Probably gonna be some big what if tournament.

Ideally they'd have all 3 androids so that you can fit them in a team of 3 people. Seems like the most sensible thing to do.

If they knew of Super's plot in advance through Toei, it's possible they intended 18 17 and Krilin to be one of the teams.

Or they're just gonna ditch 17 again. In which case i'll have to fly to japan to tell them what I think.

Revven

It's entirely possible for the Blue forms for Goku & Vegeta to be added to the existing characters as installs/transformations like Golden Frieza if we are to believe they aren't done adding to the currently revealed 7 characters. Game's 20% done so it's possible those forms are still on the table as installs for those two characters; plus we can't ignore how Vegeta only strangely has two Super attacks (a level one and a level three) and with 7 bars total it'd be weird if he only had those two as his options for Supers. It'd be really solid to make the Blue forms their level 5; or maybe level 4.

Can't rule the Blue forms out as installs yet. That's how I would want them in the game instead of separate characters. That's the ideal. The not so ideal is separate characters for whatever reason ArcSys might have.

I expect the Blue forms in some capacity. I'll be very surprised if they're not in at all.

Alienous

I don't expect characters to be included/excluded based on a story-mode, but rather that the story-mode will adapt to the roster they have.

There aren't many 3v3 fights in Dragon Ball - maybe Vegeta, Krillin and Gohan vs. Ginyu Force members? So they'd have to get creative anyway.

And with Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta as, seemingly, their base forms in the game they've already made a choice that kills most of the fights in the first third of Dragon Ball Z, which to me suggests that constructing a story around the characters was a secondary concern.

So I expect the roster will be built on "who can we make a cool moveset for". I won't go on about it again, but Android 16 seems to fit the bill as a tall, bulky character who can fire his arms at opponents. He has a goofy mohawk too. Those are the kind of choices I expect them to make, to have a visually and mechanically distinct roster.

Android 17 really fits the bill as a DLC character, if he isn't in the base game (which I expect), as unlike other characters from the most recent arc he has a history of attacks the animators can reference.

Zubz

Banned
Hope they include some cool guest characters like sub-zero and such.

So... Arale, then.

Screw you, I want Captain G as a frog

So... Tagoma, then.

I think the playstyle would fit Launch better, but I also think Launch has far less of a chance than Kale at this point, so I'll take what I can get, haha.

As much as I hate to admit it, Kale's very recent; chances are low that they'd be risking a slot on a potentially-unpopular newcomer, while Launch was a main player in the original series. I'd love to see both, but I think Launch has the better chance.

So... Arale, then.

So... Tagoma, then.

As much as I hate to admit it, Kale's very recent; chances are low that they'd be risking a slot on a potentially-unpopular newcomer, while Launch was a main player in the original series. I'd love to see both, but I think Launch has the better chance.
Oh hell no lol

It's entirely possible for the Blue forms for Goku & Vegeta to be added to the existing characters as installs/transformations like Golden Frieza if we are to believe they aren't done adding to the currently revealed 7 characters. Game's 20% done so it's possible those forms are still on the table as installs for those two characters; plus we can't ignore how Vegeta only strangely has two Super attacks (a level one and a level three) and with 7 bars total it'd be weird if he only had those two as his options for Supers. It'd be really solid to make the Blue forms their level 5; or maybe level 4.

Can't rule the Blue forms out as installs yet. That's how I would want them in the game instead of separate characters. That's the ideal. The not so ideal is separate characters for whatever reason ArcSys might have.

I expect the Blue forms in some capacity. I'll be very surprised if they're not in at all.

True, however teleporting takes a whole bar or half of it right? Maybe that's why we have 7 level supers.

Fj0823

It would certainly piss me off if they went all Battlefront 1 on us and start adding "iconic" Z characters over Super and DB characters

I mean I have zero problems with major Z characters being the entire roster but if we get "Play as the fan favorite Saibaiman #2!" Instead of say, Hit. I will rage

NeonZ

But since this is a 3v3 game and it starts with SSJ Goku and Vegeta, I doubt they're gonna do "canon story". Probably gonna be some big what if tournament.

Hyper Dimension had a story mode that started from the Freeza battle. I don't think it's that unlikely.

It might not be the main mode (like how in Extreme Butoden the original Adventure Mode story was much larger than the DBZ recreation), but a simple recreation of DBZ's story going from Piccolo vs Freeza through Cell, Buu and Battle of Gods, ending with Goku SSJB vs Golden Freeza seems like something they could easily add.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it'd only work if they can disregard the 3 vs 3 set up for most battles. So, any DBZ recreation would need to be a side-mode.

cordy

Banned
I don't know.

They gave Goku his Battle of Gods costume but Trunks is strictly Z.

So i'm pretty sure 18 will be in Z costume, it wouldn't make sense to have 17 in his Super costume.

Especially since he fights the same way (dodges, gut punch, spinning kick and no ki blast), just being "stronger".

I think it's gonna depend on what the story mode is.

There is nothing you can do with 16 since he literally has no fight besides imperfect Cell. With 17, you can have him as opponent in the future for Trunks, as well as for the Z fighters in the present, and being Piccolo's only real match in Z.

Ideally they'd have all 3 androids so that you can fit them in a team of 3 people. Seems like the most sensible thing to do.

If they knew of Super's plot in advance through Toei, it's possible they intended 18 17 and Krilin to be one of the teams.

Or they're just gonna ditch 17 again. In which case i'll have to fly to japan to tell them what I think.
That's what I'm confused about with him because who knows what they'll do.

Cauli ain't gettin in at launch, I don't care what the interview said. It just makes no sense. And if she does, that'll be stupid. Kale I could only kinda see happening more because of Broly and they could just ape her moveset off of Broly, but I still cant see her being put in over Broly. (Not that I personally care either way since I don't care much for Broly)

cordy

Banned
She won't be in the base game. At all. I don't see any way she's getting in over Broly. Broly's one of the most popular characters in the series I mean, shit.

Village

Five years from now when people talk about Broly they will refer to him as being a corny Kale parody...

No, because there is still a lot of people, who don't like super. At all. And only value it for a new level of super saiyan and thats.. it.

Super might not be around that long and people will only remember the new level of SS , just like GT

Zubz

Banned
b8J0hoD.png

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol.

Kale & Whis are below Raditz? And all 3 of them, plus Dabura, are below Yamcha, Ginyu, Gogeta, & 2 additional Buus?

Cancel this game, these people don't deserve it. This is before considering that Broly's in the Top 3.

EDIT: Also, why do the games need to call him Hercule again? Didn't the dub stick with Mr. Satan?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Janemba on place 27?

GqIgy.gif

Where is this disgusting poll even from?

Village

Kale & Whis are below Raditz? And all 3 of them, plus Dabura, are below Ginyu, Gogeta, & 2 additional Buus?

Cancel this game, these people don't deserve it. This is before considering that Broly's in the Top 3.

Broly is one of the most popular characters in the whole franchise, and is so popular he's spawned multiple movies, has snuck into games he wasn't even supposed to be in, and is the main villian in their new DBZ ar/vr game in japan.

Where the hell did you think he was going to be on that list, hell there are probably lists right now where broly is numero uno.

I'll say this again, you do not have to like broly. At all, you can hate him, you got to acknowledge the timeline you live in, you have to acknowledge the needs of the people.

And the people need broly.

Broly is one of the most popular characters in the whole franchise, and is so popular he's spawned multiple movies, has snuck into games he wasn't even supposed to be in, and is the main villian in their new DBZ ar/vr game in japan.

Where the hell did you think he was going to be on that list, hell there are probably lists right now where broly is numero uno.

I'll say this again, you do not have to like broly. At all, you can hate him, you got to acknowledge the timeline you live in, you have to acknowledge the needs of the people.

And the people need broly.
Nah, the people want Broly. What they need however, is to be saved from themselves :p

Village

Nah, the people want Broly. What they need however, is to be saved from themselves :p

Saving themselves would be to not watch dragonball. But we are all to late for that, we are too deep in the whole. We think a character named after swimming trunks is cool, its too late for all of us. We have strayed too far from gods light.

Yep, you guys are right, but If i had to choose between the two i would choose for female representation.

But i Like kalifa more for now than kale

I think cauliflower has waaaaaay more potential than kale because so far she is the only original one out of the three

SenkiDala

Tenshinhan is more or less confirmed, I read an interview of Tomoko Hiroki on Gameblog, and here is what she says:

http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_1084_dragon-ball-fighterz-roster-mode-histoire-version-switch-la-

Gameblog: This last question concerning the characters is just for me. I'm a big fan of Tenshinhan. I know it's not the most popular character but it's my favorite. Can I expect to see him in the game? He was just a support character in Extreme Butôden and wasn't playable. Will I be able to play Tenshinhan in Dragon Ball FighterZ?

Tomoko Hiroki: (laughs) Again, we can't go into details concerning the characters. But I can tell you one thing, it's that I also love Tenshinhan. From that, you can draw your own conclusions...

Top Bottom