• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ Reviews

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
final.jpg

God is a Geek – 9/10
An exquisite feeling fighter that is both approachable anddeep. Time will tell if it has staying power, but it's the best use of theDragon Ball Z name in quite some time.
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/dragon-ball-fighterz-review/

EGM – 9/10
While there have been many fighting games based on theDragon Ball franchise, Dragon Ball FighterZ marks a modern approach through themeans of fast-paced action. From its breathtaking visuals to ease of gameplaymastery, the new fighter is a good stepping stone to expand the fan base of thegenre. However, it may not satisfy players who are looking for complexity.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/dragon-ball-fighterz-review

IGN – 8.5/10
Between the accessible auto combos, homing attacks, andsimplified command inputs, Dragon Ball FighterZ is an inviting gateway into theworld of fighting games for newcomers — whether you’re a Dragon Ball fan ornot. Those easy controls can open the door to some spammy behavior, but just asoften it’s satisfying in a way that does right by the Dragon Ball name. Dragon BallFighterZ has enough depth and complexity to glow as brilliantly as a SuperSaiyan.
www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/22/dragon-ball-fighterz-review

Metacritic - 87
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dragon-ball-fighterz/critic-reviews

Kamehameha me if someone else made the review thread.

A.Romero

How close is this to mvc2 gameplay wise?

I played a few hours in 2 betas for this game and played MvC2 extensively. It's not that similar. Movement is slower (jumps are not as high, for example) and everyone has the same automatic combos. There are non automatic combos as well but didn't get to play enough to really experiment.

DBF is not a bad game in my opinion but it's not as good as Guilty Gear Xrd for example and definitely not as good as MvC2.

I played a few hours in 2 betas for this game and played MvC2 extensively. It's not that similar. Movement is slower (jumps are not as high, for example) and everyone has the same automatic combos. There are non automatic combos as well but didn't get to play enough to really experiment.

DBF is not a bad game in my opinion but it's not as good as Guilty Gear Xrd for example and definitely not as good as MvC2.
Agreed, was so hyped for this game but after I played the beta I was really disappointed. I ended up cancelling my preorder. Didn't like how the autocombo system does your combo strings for you, takes away too much control from me. It doesn't bother me that other players want to use autocombos but give me the option to turn it off for myself at least. You could do this in Marvel Super heroes Vs Street fighter, MVC1, UMVC3, and MVCI(skipped this game too).

Manus

Glad it's getting great reviews. Took a week off to play this and Monster Hunter. What a great kick off for games this year.

Soltype

Man , was really hoping it was at least close to mvc2.Capcom has had 2 tries and neither game scratches the same itch for me.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Agreed, was so hyped for this game but after I played the beta I was really disappointed. I ended up cancelling my preorder. Didn't like how the autocombo system does your combo strings for you, takes away too much control from me. It doesn't bother me that other players want to use autocombos but give me the option to turn it off for myself at least. You could do this in Marvel Super heroes Vs Street fighter, MVC1, UMVC3, and MVCI(skipped this game too).

I was hoping for a deeper system or at least something more flexible. Definitely not worth the full price they are asking, specially in Steam with the different editions of the game. The most complete edition is almost $100 USD (here in Mexico it's a lot to ask for a game). Just as a reference, MvC3U was $30 USD and KoF14 was $25 including DLC, last December.

Man , was really hoping it was at least close to mvc2.Capcom has had 2 tries and neither game scratches the same itch for me.

I liked MvC3 and I'm really enjoying Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator Rev 2 (fucking names, lol).

Fbh

Glad to see it's doing good.

The beta was pretty fun but I had a lot of connection issues. I'm also not really into fighting games so while I want to try this I think I'll just wait for the complete edition down the line

DonF

The graphics in this game are an achievement, a technical marvel. glad its getting good scores.

Shouta

How close is this to mvc2 gameplay wise?

The core gameplay is pretty similar, 3v3 with assists, but the details are different. There's a longer cooldown on calling in partner attacks, there's only 1 variety of assist per character, movement is more universal, and a bunch of other things. It doesn't quite scratch the MvC2 itch in some places but it's the game that probably does it the best outside of Skullgirls. It's very fun and I recommend at least trying it if you can rent it or play it somewhere.

I was hoping for a deeper system or at least something more flexible. Definitely not worth the full price they are asking, specially in Steam with the different editions of the game. The most complete edition is almost $100 USD (here in Mexico it's a lot to ask for a game). Just as a reference, MvC3U was $30 USD and KoF14 was $25 including DLC, last December.

I liked MvC3 and I'm really enjoying Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator Rev 2 (fucking names, lol).
Yeah I had the ultimate edition preordered, thinking there's no way I won't like this game...then the beta happened. I'll pick it up it gets a nice discount in a few months.

-MD-

First DBZ game I've been interested in since like Budokai.

How long is the story mode?

Edit: IGN says 10-12 hours? Not too bad.

Last edited:
Pretty good reviews so far. I'm really looking forward to this, since Xenoverse never clicked with me. I didn't even have time to try out the multiple betas they held. The gameplay I've seen looks fantastic. Friday can't come soon enough.

-MD-

Grabbed a copy, been way too long since I played a DBZ game.

maybe I just had crazy expectations but I was expecting a lot more 10/10 review scores
what's wrong with expecting better reviews?

I'm looking through Arc System's last handful of fighting game releases and there's like next to no 10/10 reviews for any of them.

10-12 hours with a lot of padding.

Nothing wrong with a 3-4 hour campaign, especially in a fighting game.

Well, I definitely wouldn't have just bought it if it was 3 hours long.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

fact this doesn't unlock on steam unti 6pm is a joke, seems to be a trend on steam games now to no longer unlock at midnight.

Last edited:

MetalSlug

It is a little annoying having to wait until 6PM to be able to play :(

But I waited for DNF, so it won't kill me to wait a few extra hours.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I booted the game up at 11 PM CST last night. I couldn't connect to the server at first, so I went through terms of service, creating a user, and watching the intro twice. That took more time than I had planned.
The way they have their menu world setup for arcade, matchmaking and etc is awesome. I got to play through the arcade mode before falling asleep. I have the FighterZ edition, so I had to go to the store to buy Android 21.
It's a lot of fun. The combos feel easy, but it also limits the potential of the player if that's all you use. I can definitely see myself swapping moves out and so forth. IMO you can make your own complex combos out of all the tools they give you.
I like it. I really like their FotNS and Sengoku Basara X Cross games. This feels like it has more content to it than their previous titles.

Last edited:

notacat

Just bought this. Don't plan on playing online much if at all, i'm just buying it on the principal of it being something that embodies the anime with so much heart.

Codes 208

Just bought this. Don't plan on playing online much if at all, i'm just buying it on the principal of it being something that embodies the anime with so much heart.
The game is love, the game is life. But be warned that unlike prior titles it IS a fighting game at heart. It doesnt play like other dbz games like budokai or xenoverse.

The amount of fanservice and even the small attention to details added are perfection however.

I'm not a big fighting gamer, street fighter is the only fight games I ever really play. But I'm a big Dragonball fan so I picked this up. I got pretty worried cuz I played online and I was getting destroyed, and wasn't having fun, but I noticed it was cuz I was playing it like Street Fighter which was a big mistake, you have to try and combo everything together and keep moving, once I got the hang of it I started having a blast. It's really fun game!

notacat

I'm content with my purchase. This game looks like a cartoon you can play. Cuphead got close, but DBZ showed up out of nowhere.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
After reading those reviews I feel like they are lower than 9.5 just because its a 'dragonball game'.....8.5 is a fine score but it is not articulated very well why it couldn't be higher.

The 'spammyness' thing is nonsense but I do have UI issues with this game and also the nature of online play esp close to lauch keep it from a 10/10

Last edited:

mili2110

Im playing on PC with PS4 Controller. Is it possible to change Xbox Icons to PS4 Icons in Game? I really get confused...

Top Bottom