• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ Reviews

Well, I've just finished my initial playthrough of the main story line on my channel (shameless plug): and I'd give the game a solid 8.5.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, the animations are great, the character models are true to the anime/manga, and they got the actual voice actors in Japanese as well as English (R.I.P. Hiromi Tsuru/Bulma :()! That is a huge boon for me, as I am myself a voice actor, and anywhere VO Artists are getting quality work has my support.

The only real negatives that I could think of, would be the repetitive nature of the combat (eh, it's a fighting game, but, it's repetitive due to a lack of depth with regards to combos and special attacks), the anorexic character selection (seriously? Characters are only available in Super Saiyan/base forms, and you can't transform at will? The Tenkaichi series handled this way better) and the somewhat anti-climactic story.

Overall, it's a great game, and will only improve as DLC releases for it.

ricen

Neo Member
I like the main story of this game. The game will help me to overcome the fact that the end of Dragon ball Super will be over soon.

WaterAstro

This game pissed me off about how I need to watch Super.

Watched 24 episodes and boy it's garbage since they literally took the last two OVAs and stretch it across a season. Ugh, we'll see after the Frieza part if it gets better.

LiamExe

Watched 24 episodes and boy it's garbage since they literally took the last two OVAs and stretch it across a season. Ugh, we'll see after the Frieza part if it gets better.
The retelling of the Return of Frieza arc in DB Super is probably one of the lowest points of Super even if it did try to mix up some things and play with expectations.
Tagoma, Ginyu, etc.
But I find from there it slowly began to find its stride as it started up its own original arcs, even if it still stumbles here and there in terms of writing and animation quality. It had its faults, but I'm gonna miss having a new Dragon Ball episode to look forward to every week when it ends its current run in the coming months. : (

Codes 208

Theres a reason why people say to skip the first two arcs. The down to earth episodes in between sagas are good but otherwise just watch the firat two films and start from episode 28 going into the otherworld tournament saga

I hope this game starts a new trend for fighting game story modes. While it has its fault, can be a bit repetitive, and with 3 campaigns kind of goes on too long, it's a much better fit for a linear fighting game story mode with cutscenes than the cinematic "enjoy playing as every character but the character you actually bought the game to play as, who might get 30 seconds of screen time if you're lucky" with barely any gameplay (sometimes none at all...Xrd....) bullcrap, and I would love to see it expanded and improved on. It's like a evolution of Tekken 6's scenario campaign but sticks to the actual core gameplay. Also like T6's SC I wouldn't mind devs actually letting you pick your favorite strait away since the gameplay has no barring on the actual story, and most the playable cast never appears in main story cutscenes anyway.

Graven

I hope this game starts a new trend for fighting game story modes. While it has its fault, can be a bit repetitive, and with 3 campaigns kind of goes on too long, it's a much better fit for a linear fighting game story mode with cutscenes than the cinematic "enjoy playing as every character but the character you actually bought the game to play as, who might get 30 seconds of screen time if you're lucky" with barely any gameplay (sometimes none at all...Xrd....) bullcrap, and I would love to see it expanded and improved on. It's like a evolution of Tekken 6's scenario campaign but sticks to the actual core gameplay. Also like T6's SC I wouldn't mind devs actually letting you pick your favorite strait away since the gameplay has no barring on the actual story, and most the playable cast never appears in main story cutscenes anyway.

The special interactions and being able to change characters on the fly is very interesting, however for now it's basically a chapter based cutscene story mode but with some forced fights since you have to reach the place where the actual chapter boss is, and there is the level up aspect, which is important so the difficulty do not spike later on. Since it's the first game of a potential franchise, it's passable, but hopefully they will flesh out this mode in future installments if ever happens.

WaterAstro

Theres a reason why people say to skip the first two arcs. The down to earth episodes in between sagas are good but otherwise just watch the firat two films and start from episode 28 going into the otherworld tournament saga
Yeah well I watched them anyways. Absolute garbage.

I just finished the Universe 6 vs 7 tournament, and other than Hit, every other fight blew. I'm waiting for something that rivals the Cell saga because nothing has yet to beat the Goku vs Cell fight.

Codes 208

Yeah well I watched them anyways. Absolute garbage.

I just finished the Universe 6 vs 7 tournament, and other than Hit, every other fight blew. I'm waiting for something that rivals the Cell saga because nothing has yet to beat the Goku vs Cell fight.
Id say cell vs goku isnt even the best fight in the cell saga. That honor belongs to cell vs gohan. And while cell is my favorite villain, no fight is better than freeza vs ssj goku.

That aside, if youre coming into super expecting highs to rival the biggest highs of dbz, youre only setting yourself up for disappointment

WaterAstro

Id say cell vs goku isnt even the best fight in the cell saga. That honor belongs to cell vs gohan. And while cell is my favorite villain, no fight is better than freeza vs ssj goku.

That aside, if youre coming into super expecting highs to rival the biggest highs of dbz, youre only setting yourself up for disappointment
Meh, Cell vs Gohan was like Gohan being carebear and gawking at his friends dying, then going SSJ2 and beating Cell easily. Freeza and Goku was like some power up brawl.

Cell vs Goku was a real martial arts fight, but the thing that really makes it work was how Mr Satan and the TV crew were there to put an emphasis on how fast and powerful the fight is. We're reading the manga or watching the anime, so as viewers, we can only relate through Mr Satan and the crew as normal human beings. That's real genius writing or set up there. Apart from that, Goku and Cell displayed a wide range of abilities on an even strength. It was a real fight.

Top Bottom