• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super coming to Toonami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12...to-premiere-on-adult-swims-toonami-in-january

Dragon Ball Super / 7 Dec 2016
Dragon Ball Super English Dub to Premiere on Adult Swim's Toonami in January

Dragon Ball returns to Toonami next year.

By Jonathon Dornbush Toei Animation, Funimation, and Adult Swim have announced that the Dragon Ball Super English dub will air as part of Adult Swim's Toonami lineup beginning next year.

Dragon Ball Super season 1 will premiere on Adult Swim on January 7, 2017 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. pT/1 a.m. GMT/11 a.m. AEST and 11:30 p.m. ET/8:30 p.m. PT/4:30 a.m. GMT/2 p.m. AEST.

The first season's 26 episodes are set to air during the Toonami block in the coming weeks and months. Check out an exclusive new clip from the English dub of episode 1 below:

A new Dragon Ball Super website has also launched, which will include exclusive content, video, character information, and more of the latest news about the series. Previous Dragon Ball series Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT all aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block throughout the late 1990's and early 2000's.

Funimation recently revealed the voice cast of the English dub, which includes returning voice actors in the roles of Goku, Vegeta, and more. The company previously had announced it would be handling the English dub in addition to the home release distribution of the series in the U.S. and Canada. Funimation has also since begun making the English subtitled version of Dragon Ball Super available.

Series creator Akira Toriyama is overseeing Dragon Ball Super, which continues Goku's tale as he strives to maintain peace following his epic battle with Majin Buu. Dragon Ball Super made its debut in the West on several anime streaming websites this year and is currently streaming on Crunchyroll, FunimationNow and Daisuki, with new simulcast episodes debuting every Saturday. Super first aired in Japan in July 2015.

Toki767

How good were the first 26 episodes anyway? I only watched the movies and then skipped straight to after the Resurrection of F story in the show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I guess we're not getting DBZ Kai: Buu. That's probably only going to be on Blu-Ray then.

I question the time though. 8 PM EST? Toonami doesn't start until midnight.

Tansut

How good were the first 26 episodes anyway? I only watched the movies and then skipped straight to after the Resurrection of F story in the show.
The first movie retelling is pretty good, but outside of a couple neat flourishes the Resurrection of F retelling was a dud.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, thinking about this, they are probably doing the debut at 8 PM to get the kid audience who would be awake at that time but don't have to deal with CN standards either.

Battle of Gods redux - good story but shitty animation at times

There's some decent filler in between

Resurrection of F redux - shitsux

It sounds good to me. I'm glad we won't have to go through the Nicktoons censorship again.

Now we just need an announcement for Kai Buu Saga.

NandoGip

I'm glad I didn't wait for the Kai version of Buu saga. I've been watching in JP.

I'm excited for english Super though. I skipped the retellings in JP but I'll probably check them out now, especially since I heard that some of the worst animation has been tweaked a bit.

zulux21

@_@

I Would much rather have buu kai at this point.

maybe we are getting this earlier in the day and buu kai continuing in the current kai slot.

still don't understand how this makes sense at all given the people who have only been following the new run of kai won't know a number of things @_@

Blader

BoG retelling is slower (naturally, 15 episodes vs. 90 minute movie) but the Goku/Beerus fight is much better. RF retelling might be better written than the movie, but the animation is a disaster.

I do look forward to seeing how the show adapts to the different style of DB Super.

DB Super is definitely a lot more "Japanese" and doesn't play into some of the more macho elements of DBZ.
Characters aren't as bulky. Goku is never serious.

I do look forward to seeing how the show adapts to the different style of DB Super.

DB Super is definitely a lot more "Japanese" and doesn't play into some of the more macho elements of DBZ.
Characters aren't as bulky. Goku is never serious.
So he never gets like he was during the Frieza fight on Namek?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wish they skipped the first 26 episodes tbh. Retelling is completely unnecessary. Ah well, cant wait to re-watch the Black arc in english, fuck yes.

So he never gets like he was during the Frieza fight on Namek?

He still gets serious, it's just that we see him not serious more often than in Z. When it comes to serious fights he's pretty much identical to how he was in Z, outside of that he's a goofy idiot.

zulux21

Wish they skipped the first 26 episodes tbh. Retelling is completely unnecessary. Ah well, cant wait to re-watch the Black arc in english, fuck yes.

not everyone has seen the movies, and it will be a decent way to air them on tv and pull in weekly ratings.

they aren't that bad, I actually prefer the second movie in tv form because of the addition a certain character.

beyond that the animation will be better for this airing than it was in japan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
CzGGcsEXAAExKqP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom