• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its going to be amazing when the hero from U6 Earth is a non-meme Yamcha.

I'm actually expecting a Superpower AU Gero, Toriyama finally unviels the original intended big bad for the Cell saga lol.

Another prediction: This will be the first arc where they will have impactful deaths with characters will be deleted permanently. This has never been done before, and with finality being a theme, I can pretty much bet a z-fighter will die. Either Krillin, 17, Piccolo, or Roshi.

Piccolo permanently sacrificing himself to be deleted for Gohan would be HUGE.

It would be nice for them to raise the stakes, but if anyones being built up for deletion, its
Gohan
. You know it to be true...

I wish they stuck to the shorter arcs. the Goku Black arc had more or less the perfect length, even if it wasted an episode early on or if it needed an extra episode later on

this arc has dragged a lot and it really hasn't even started, even if we got a few good episodes out of them

we don't really need to go back to the old days of "goku spends an episode going ssj3" or the infamous five minutes in namek, etc etc

that episode was easily one of the best episodes in all dragon ball, period, just because it has so much cool stuff in it. in the "good old days" this would have been dragged along several episodes and it is starting to look like the dragging is back with this arc

This is not at all comparable to Z drag when a lot of different developments and things are happening in the story every episode. It's not taking one plot point and spreading it out over 10 episodes. Dont get it twisted.

L Thammy

zvMNafP.png

Piers

In most countries, including the US, those movies never got a broadcast release and only had a limited theatrical run. You can't even legally watched them streamed and Super was meant to eventually become an international property. Plus, very few people even in Japan, read the Super manga or manga version of the movies which were promotional. Also, most Japanese don't buy DVDs.

Toei never gave "PR" answer. They just said that they were going to retell the movies and left it at that.

So the way you worded it, the films are basically rare gold dust and the only feasible way to catch up is to watch a low budget anime retelling?
I didn't say that Toei had given an answer, I was being hypothetical.

L Thammy

I feel like this whole arc is about how Goku isn't a comic book superhero. The Pride Troopers uniform is what he'd wear if he was. So Doomsday or something shows up and everybody's working together to stop it, but Goku refuses to cooperate because he's just in for a good scrap.

L Thammy

I don't really care what critics say. RoF was broken because it's just a heroic curbstomp throughout, excluding the little bit where the army is defeated and the Blue Crew hasn't shown up yet. It's fun to see heroes wreck someone occasionally, like the Big Bang Attack or Goku defeating Recoome, but you can't drag it out over an entire movie/arc. It gets dull fast.

The arc was a better because Tagoma was a threat too, but then they rushed past him.

HeroR

So the way you worded it, the films are basically rare gold dust and the only feasible way to catch up is to watch a low budget anime retelling?
I didn't say that Toei had given an answer, I was being hypothetical.

It's not so much rare gold dust. It's just more practical to retell the movies than just air them into an anime slot in sliced them. Also, Battle of Gods make subtle changes to better fit Super and the stuff in-between Resurrection 'F' tells us how Goku and Vegeta trained under Whis.

I don't really care what critics say. RoF was broken because it's just a heroic curbstomp throughout, excluding the little bit where the army is defeated and the Blue Crew hasn't shown up yet. It's fun to see heroes wreck someone occasionally, like the Big Bang Attack or Goku defeating Recoome, but you can't drag it out over an entire movie/arc. It gets dull fast.

The arc was a better because Tagoma was a threat too, but then they rushed past him.

It was anything but dull to me since we get to see the Earth fighters in battle for the first time in decades and they're using real martial arts techniques something me and my brother loved since we both take martial arts class.

ElFly

This is not at all comparable to Z drag when a lot of different developments and things are happening in the story every episode. It's not taking one plot point and spreading it out over 10 episodes. Dont get it twisted.

we are almost there, going by spoilers
buu being asleep and goku coming up with a solution seems to take two episodes at least

maybe I am exaggerating a little but it is far from the brisker pace of goku black

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
we are almost there, going by spoilers
buu being asleep and goku coming up with a solution seems to take two episodes at least

maybe I am exaggerating a little but it is far from the brisker pace of goku black
I'll take character development over the rushed "setup" of the last arc.

How will Cabba teach Super Saiyan? Will he just be a complete ass like Vegeta or find another way outside of anger?

Probably how Vegeta did it with him and will try to get them as angry as possible. From Kale's profile it mentioned she does it because of the stress from Cabba on this.

I await GAF turning on Cabba for being an ass to her.

L Thammy

I like what they're doing now despite my frothing hatred for filler and filler-like episodes, but I think they've dragged it on too long. I'm not really looking forward to episodes right now because the tournament feels too far away. The fact that they've added so many characters is probably a bad thing too, but I guess we'll see how that plays out during the tournament.

What I think would have been ideal is to not have the exhibition match. Have the Supreme Kai giving the tournament details to the Supreme Kais on his first visit, then have the rest of the episode be the Supreme Kais discussing the matter and developing their hate for Goku. Then have Goku's recruitment plus one or two episodes setting up the Pride Troopers. Then the tournament.

Real Hero

17 should just have been one ep for sure, other than that I wouldn't change much. Maybe have Buu beat all 3 in the exhibition match just so
him sleeping feels more like a dramatic loss

Skeeter49

In my opinion character development is more important than power levels. I care more about 17 being a park ranger, than how he got as strong as SSB Goku.

84, 86, 88, and 90 are some of my favorite episodes of Super. 70 is my favorite episode of Super. They're all setting up character moments.

Krillin's development in Super is one of my favorite things, and I didn't know Krillin could get more development. Gohan's development is finally starting to fall into place. Vegeta's development has been all throughout Super.

Not everything needs to be fighting for the sake of fighting in Super. For me that can be the most boring parts when it's not done well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ah yes the very good character development of buu getting skinny
and then falling asleep
and 17 becoming ridic strong one experience point at a time
Skinny Buu was cute. We got to see his relationship with Mr. Satan some more. Learning about 17, his job and family were also great. The Gohan development has been outstanding, some of which I never expected the series to address. So yeah, I'll take those.

ElFly

Skinny Buu was cute. We got to see his relationship with Mr. Satan some more. Learning about 17, his job and family were also great. The Gohan development has been outstanding, some of which I never expected the series to address. So yeah, I'll take those.

bleh

ElFly

this recruitment arc has barely had any character development. the biggest one was krillin/18, but krillin already had a couple of episodes dedicated to him after goku black and before the tourney? the only extra thing we got was him getting the win over gohan. if anything it was a slight retread

-buu was a waste of time, we already know that satan and buu are bros. I love those two characters! but that episode did nothing interesting with them
-tenshinhan/roshi was kind of ok, but we already knew roshi is a horny creep. tenshinhan having a dojo is nice. but neither show any new technique or anything!
-17 was only materializing what we knew from that old toriyama interview. v little new, we didn't even see his kids, wife, or learn their names or anything new. nothing! instead we got a gigantic power creep with no explanation. maybe we will get an explanation later! but in this arc it sucks
-gohan was ok but honestly it could have been done in like one episode. I am also not obsessed with gohan and really dislike they are sticking him in the goku gi. in this arc he really has had no development other than "remembering that mystic is a thing he could do". it was a cool fight but little else

the biggest development is actually....Goku's, since this arc has revealed him to be an unapologetic liar

brinstar

I've.... kind of been bored too to be honest. The recruitment eps have been alright but I'm beyond tired of seeing Goku fight people. The first 17 episode was cool but last week's ep almost felt like a complete waste of time to me.

I want more of Caulifla, she looks dope!

JIREN TOO

L Thammy

Goku's lies stem from a place we've seen before, though. The bribe-Old-Kai-with-titties place. Also the don't-kick-Majin-Vegeta's-ass-with-your-new-form-so-he-doesn't-feel-bad place.

HeroR

this recruitment arc has barely had any character development. the biggest one was krillin/18, but krillin already had a couple of episodes dedicated to him after goku black and before the tourney? the only extra thing we got was him getting the win over gohan

-buu was a waste of time, we already know that satan and buu are bros. I love those two characters! but that episode did nothing interesting with them
-tenshinhan/roshi was kind of ok
-17 was only materializing what we knew from that old toriyama interview. v little new, we didn't even see his kids, wife, or learn their names or anything new. nothing! instead we got a gigantic power creep with no explanation. maybe we will get an explanation later! but in this arc it sucks
-gohan was ok but honestly it could have been done in like one episode. I am also not obsessed with gohan and really dislike they are sticking him in the goku gi. he really has had no development other than "remembering that mystic is a thing he could do". it was a cool fight but little else

the biggest development is actually....Goku's, since this arc has revealed him to be an unapologetic liar

Skinny Buu was a small part of the epsoide and it foreshadowed what would happened with Buu.

Most viewers never read Toriyama's interviews, so it's important to tell viewers what happened with 17 and to show he he has grown physically and mentally.

Krillin, we see the fruits of what he learned after he overcame his fear.

Gohan really couldn't be done in one episode for several reasons. And that's a lie about him having no development outside of his Ultimate form.

The only real 'filler' were the space poachers and Yuri. The rest reads like whining.

A big problem with the RoF arc was that it was pulled right from a 90 minute movie where it had to feel rushed. If I wrote the story, I would have drawn it out more to see things on Frieza's perspective. Would have brought in King Kold and some more henchman.

HeroR

A big problem with the RoF arc was that it was pulled right from a 90 minute movie where it had to feel rushed. If I wrote the story, I would have drawn it out more to see things on Frieza's perspective. Would have brought in King Kold and some more henchman.

The only thing I would have expanded is the fight with Frieza's men and Tagoma. Everything else was fine.

Here is what I think. Once the manga catches up to the anime and it comes to explain why 17 is so powerful, the manga will try to make sense of it even when it really doesn't.

Believe it.

ElFly

Skinny Buu was a small part of the epsoide and it foreshadowed what would happened with Buu.

Most viewers never read Toriyama's interviews, so it's important to tell viewers what happened with 17 and to show he he has grown physically and mentally.

Krillin, we see the fruits of what he learned after he overcame his fear.

Gohan really couldn't be done in one episode for several reasons. And that's a lie about him having no development outside of his Ultimate form.

The only real 'filler' were the space poachers and Yuri. The rest reads like whining.
one thing that drives me up the wall in this recruitment arc, has been how these fuckers are completely uninterested in saving the universe from being erased. these are people who would gladly give up three years of their lives to training, even if they knew they wouldn't help a lot, but nowadays they have to be convinced by the lies of goku to fight for one single day for the fate of their fucking universe?

that's stupid. that's not character development? that's literal character rollback

the 17 episodes are straight up from the interview. I wonder if toriyama just said 'goku recruits 17' and toei just went by that material with nothing else to build on, and completely afraid of treading new ground on him

krillin episode was mostly about gohan getting pwned. but then we got a full episode of gohan vs piccolo because?

maybe this has been so inconsequential so they can get on the stories of the other universes...but even that has been sparse. we saw Cabbe getting to Renzo, which was a huge waste of time, then to Caulifla and Kale...and he still has to teach them SSJ

but the other universes have also had scenes that mostly felt filler. U11? they fight a giant monster. woop woop. gowasu gets a bunch of ridiculous guys. and every week a bunch of pieces of the stage get together

it's dragging. and going by the spoilers we still have a couple of episodes of ??? happening

Slaythe

it's dragging. and going by the spoilers we still have a couple of episodes of ??? happening

You know what it's missing ?

The pilaf jokes and mental kissing + all of the arc taking place in Bulma's backyard. I think it would add a lot of the world building and character development :D .

Slaythe

that's low, slaythe

I can go lower.

What about Goku forgetting(directly or indirectly, doesn't matter) the most vital part for their plans twice in a row, necessitating useless back and forth in the future ?

Or all the retreads with Zamasu and Black literally saying the exact same dialogue countless of times ?

It's fine to like the Black arc (I personally hate it) but you can't say it was a great example of pacing.

Right now, outside of the poacher episode, I'd say it's decently paced.

My only issue is that... It lacks excitement. The Krilin episode, 17 episode, and this last Gohan episode were great (some of the best episodes we've had in the show). But everything else has been extremely dull at the moment, which makes us feel like it drags.

That being said, the episodes did have purpose, all of them, except maybe the poacher one.

And they were not wasting time for the sake of it, they were "chapters", which I can get behind. In a "binge" situation, those are welcome. I just wish they had planned things out a bit better.

But even if I admit I'm getting a bit tired of how slow it's been because I want it to start already, I would never prefer the rushed pacing of the Black arc, that might have been more exciting to follow week to week, but hurt the story overall on the long term.

Skeeter49

The Krillin episode was 100% focused on Krillins development. Development that Z never even addressed.

The only people who got shafted in development is Tien and Roshi. For better or worse,
Buu did get development. Now let's see what it amounts to.

Toei doing something different with 17 just for the sake of being different isn't interesting. We have lore for 17, why not introduce it into the canon? The only thing they fucked up with for 17 is wanting the boat. Also the Spachers.

Most of the development in other universes are for u7's twin universe, which can't be argued that it's essential for Super, and the universe with people who think Goku is evil, they're insanely important to the story as well.

Ashodin

Buu's development died for Gohan's Kagari

;_;

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Until the recent development I don't think there was that much to look forward to in terms of the tournament itself. Goku vs. Hit again would be ok but it's clear Goku's main thing will be against Jiren who somehow looks stupider than Hit did. As far as the opposition is concerned I really only care about the U6 saiyans and all most of the other characters shown so far have been Gods that won't be a part of the tournament itself

Jinroh

The problem with these setup episodes, character development or not, is that I don't see myself ever wanting to watch more than half of them again. The first time already feels like a drag.

The manga will catch up with the anime because it will most certainly skip all that. I want character development during dramatic battles or during the arcs themselves, I don't want checklist episodes each dedicated to a character, it feels way too superficial.

The pacing in this show is dreadful. The fight against Beerus dragged forever, then the introduction to the return of freeza was shortened and the fight itself extended, then the tournament was shorter than its manga counterpart, the first half of the Trunks arc was unbearably dragging for no reason and the second half ended up being rushed, etc.

They really need to work on the pacing.

Mendrox

People should rewatch the whole Dragonball series. Goku always lied to get his way. Always promising stuff he couldnt keep like giving pictures of females to the old geezers.

Just yesterday I saw two short Clips from DBZ where he does this stuff lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People should rewatch the whole Dragonball series. Goku always lied to get his way. Always promising stuff he couldnt keep like giving pictures of females to the old geezers.

Just yesterday I saw two short Clips from DBZ where he does this stuff lol

He damn near promised Gohan's girlfriend to old Kai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom