• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

Also, Young Jijii's take on the Vegetto Blue introduction page:

C96HWq3UIAETbw9.jpg

Colorized

C96HWq3UIAA74B1.jpg
Vegito Blue is so fucking gorgeous.
Just noticed he says "This is Blue Vegito!" in the manga. In the anime he said "This is Vegito Blue!"

I want to copy something about the manga on Kanzenshuu:

Actually reading the chapter, Goku and Vegeta not working together doesn't come off as funny. It comes off as numbingly frustrating. The first part was fine when Merged Zamasu was owing them and testing his power. Then the Supreme Kai gives them the earrings to fused. Vegeta says no and Goku doesn't even try to convince Vegeta further. Just, well, that how it is and gives the earring back. Then they take turns despite Merged Zamasu wrecking them just a few seconds before. What?

At least with Kid Buu Goku thought he had a chance with him. What the freaking point of trying to fight Merged Zamasu individually? And part of the reason why Goku was willing to fight Kid Buu without fusion was because he wasn't a fused being himself anymore. Here, he's a fusion, better take turns fighting him.

The fight with Vegetto was so brief that it was almost blink and you miss. Well, people can no longer blame the anime for not doing anything with Vegetto. The curb stomp from Vegetto was also disappointing. Part of what made the anime version of the fight cool, despite how short it was, was that Vegito struggled and Merged Zamasu put up a decent fight. Here, Toyo had to copy what happened with Super Buu and Omega Shenron and have the fusion of Goku and Vegeta just stomp their enemy into the ground. Challenge, what's that? But given how terrible Manga Black was, I was expecting this. On a more personal note, although I didn't want Vegito, the one scene I loved from his fight with Merged Zamasu was when he called him out that his plan to kill all mortals could never happened since 'he' Son Goku would always be part of him. It was an amazingly profound along with Merged Zamasu's response.

Merged Zamasu being on the time limited also goes against how Black and Future Zamasu can used the Time Rings, since it was stated that only the Supreme Kais can used them. Or, as the manga called them the Lords of Lords, which Future Zamasu should be part of since he is a Kai. It also makes Zamasu as a villain look even worst since he doesn't realized that his fusion isn't forever. At least in the anime, Merged Zamasu was done in because Black got corrupted by Goku's body. Instead of wanting immortality, he wanted power and to fight like a Saiyan.

In fact, this makes Manga Black look dumber since Goku's body didn't really corrupt him outside of him liking fighting. Why didn't he asked for immorality, especially after Future Zamasu seems to throw spades at Black, although indirectly, by saying he would never get rid of his godly form for power. Black literally could of had both, but the manga never touch on why Black didn't want it.

Finally, Merged Zamasu's attacks are just lame. You have the ultimate power in the world and what do you do, you create steel blocks and throw them around like a mini boss from Mario. Toyo didn't even get creative and let Merged Zamasu make spikes, he had to directly copy something the Supreme Kai did once to test the Z-Sword, because 'oh, call back!'. Toyo, get more creative.

Overall, this arc shows that while Toyo can make good fight panels and he tries to explain himself (which are hit and miss), he can't tell a good story and have character development since his Vegeta is still in the mid-Buu Saga. He should do better in the Universal Survival Saga since the plot is more straight forward. Even then, I won't forget the manga for screwing up Black and making him into a worst version of Cell.

Yes, all of this. Black was ruined in the manga.

I will say it again: The anime runs circles around the manga on this arc.

Vegito didn't struggle in the anime. He completely and utterly trashed Merged Zamasu. Zamasu got a few good hits in but, they did nothing to him. Literally every attack from Vegito would have been an instant death had he not had his regen-hax.

Fj0823

Black fucking sucks in the manga.

The anime made "Evil Goku" work, the manga is exactry what people feared when the arc was anoubces

HeroR

Vegito didn't struggle in the anime. He completely and utterly trashed Merged Zamasu. Zamasu got a few good hits in but, they did nothing to him. Literally every attack from Vegito would have been an instant death had he not had his regen-hax.

He did struggled in the anime. Merged Zamasu knocked him back and landed a solid blow that floored Vegeta for a moment. He also took a Final Kamehameha that was supposed to finished him and didn't go down. And complaining about haxs in Dragon Ball is just whining.

It is hard to described. Mostly, Merged Zamasu's face is rounded and heart shaped like Goku's, while Zamasu's face is more oval and slender. This also other differences and someone actually made a chart, but I can remember where to find it.

Slaythe

It is hard to described. Mostly, Merged Zamasu's face is rounded and heart shaped like Goku's, while Zamasu's face is more oval and slender. This also other differences and someone actually made a chart, but I can remember where to find it.

But on the model sheet he looks just like Zamasu with Goku's hair.

Which means whatever subtle difference you think you saw was probably some off model shots by specific animators.

Looks at his face when he teleports. That's not the face of someone who's utterly trashing.

I could barely hear Goku black's voice so I can't really comment on it. For Zamasu on the other hand didnt sound well elegant, compared to the Japanese voice which kind of sucks. Zamasu literally tries to become god so he should sound more pretentious.

NeonZ

Manga seems to have sidestepped a lot and still ended up kinda bloated... Goku fighting Black, sinner Trunks, Trunks doing much of anything when they go back to the future, grotesque Zamasu, etc. Personally I feel Toyotarou could have condensed the whole thing massively and been better off for it.

I think the biggest issues were the Vegeta vs Black chapters. Vegeta vs Base/SSJ Black, which was just a set up for Rose, took up an entire 40+ pages chapter (although, granted there was also Zamasu getting killed in the present). In the original manga, that'd be just a single 15 pages chapter at best. Then in the next chapter, Toyotaro had Vegeta struggling and losing against Black twice before Rose debuted. Then another half chapter of Vegeta beating Black in their rematch, which wasn't problematic by itself, but he already had that 40 pages chapter with similar action and reactions.

I think the biggest issues were the Vegeta vs Black chapters. Vegeta vs Base/SSJ Black, which was just a set up for Rose, took up an entire 40+ pages chapter (although, granted there was also Zamasu getting killed in the present). In the original manga, that'd be just a single 15 pages chapter at best. Then in the next chapter, Toyotaro had Vegeta struggling and losing against Black twice before Rose debuted. Then another half chapter of Vegeta beating Black in their rematch, which wasn't problematic by itself, but he already had that 40 pages chapter with similar action and reactions.
Toyotaro is pretty bad about pacing things out.
Is this the final DLC pack? I hope so, can't wait to move on to what's next. Never liked Xenoverse.
No, the season pass has one more DLC and the dude from Bandai on the stream yesterday kinda sorta implied there might be more than that. We know the next DLC will at least have Vegetto Blue and Merged Zamasu.
They confirmed on their stream yesterday it isn't unfortunately.

It's not like Xenoverse 2 getting lots of post launch support is hurting the next game, if anything it helps buy time for it.

Skii

Didnt know it was possible for the manga to execute the black arc worse than the anime...

Is it 2 more episodes until hype?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Was the manga always this unitersting or bland it's not bad just underwhelming

What?! You don't like that lego blocks spamming superrmove.

So I am guess if Merged Zamas did not have his immortality factor, then Goku's Kamehameha would of easily done him in.

They confirmed on their stream yesterday it isn't unfortunately.

No, the season pass has one more DLC and the dude from Bandai on the stream yesterday kinda sorta implied there might be more than that. We know the next DLC will at least have Vegetto Blue and Merged Zamasu.

It's not like Xenoverse 2 getting lots of post launch support is hurting the next game, if anything it helps buy time for it.

A bit disappointing, I hope we get an announcement before the end of the year at least.

Whats next is probably xenoverse 3 for console Dragonball. Shame, because I don't like it either. I gave the first one a decent shake, couldn't enjoy any of it though.

Slaythe teased before that it isn't XV3, and that's a little bit more interesting.

J4g3r

Good point.

The longer Xenoverse 2 lasts, the higher chance we have of getting more recent arcs from Dragon Ball Super into the next base-game.

Would love for them to do something new next; but with how well the Xenoverse series is doing for them, that's unlikely.

Slaythe teased before that it isn't XV3, and that's a little bit more interesting.

EFvbFbW.png

NeonZ

Didnt know it was possible for the manga to execute the black arc worse than the anime...

Is it 2 more episodes until hype?

I'll still consider the manga version of the arc better if Toyotaro nails Trunks vs Zamasu/Black. If it doesn't happen or is just as rushed as in the anime then the anime will be better though.

L Thammy

I am really curious about what the 10% chances of GIFS from the NEP not being spammed in here are.

Donald Trump nuclear war starting two months early ? :p

Everyone gets derailed into a week-long argument about whether or not Android 17 is the shittiest Dragonball characters.

We're counting on you, Slaythe.

I am really curious about what the 10% chances of GIFS from the NEP not being spammed in here are.

Donald Trump nuclear war starting two months early ? :p

A lot of the NEPs have been somewhat underwhelming compared to how the episodes turn out. For whatever reason they generally save all the good stuff for the actual episode.

J4g3r

Oh god, I can only imagine the reactions if 17 ends up saving the day while Goku jobs against poachers.

He'll probably get caught in a cage or something.

A lot of the NEPs have been somewhat underwhelming compared to how the episodes turn out. For whatever reason they generally save all the good stuff for the actual episode.

I'll wait and see how the NEP turns out tomorrow.

Depending on if they go all out in showing stuff or be very minimalistic.

I'm counting on you all.

L Thammy

Does "Even Zeno-sama will be amazed" count as a spoiler? It eliminates the possibility that the Zenos will be bored of the tournament and all the fighters will have to team up against them.

I'm surprise of the amount of people that don't like Xenoverse.

It's probably my favorite DB game. It's either that or Legendary Supersonic Warriors.

Everything is good except for the fighting itself, I feel. The 2D games are generally better from a gameplay perspective but Xenoverse does a great job of making you feel like you're a part of the Dragonball world.

Reaction to the Vegito preview? That showed too much, and I think most people agreed on that.

Could be, but I feel like there is a better middle ground. I think episode 80 is a great example, the NEP made the episode look like it was going to be mediocre visually and then it ended up being great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom