• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird complaints considering what Freeza did it in a matter of months with a lower starting point while a character with a much higher base doing the same thing over the course of time that's 30 times longer is suddenly outrageous?

I've kind of considered Blue as just a replacement of SSJ3 to maybe being the equivalent to SSJ 3.5 or something or at best the replacement for SSJ4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slaythe

Weird complaints considering what Freeza did it in a matter of months with a lower starting point while a character with a much higher base doing the same thing over the course of time that's 30 times longer is suddenly outrageous?

People gonna complain forever.

Let's not forget Trunks that did the same thing with no training at all.

Also for the record, 17 didn't say he would have lost this fight.

Massicot

I've kind of considered Blue just replaced SSJ3 to maybe 3.5 or something.

To be fair, Freeza had a new form to partially handwave it away.

The problem is it's completely unbelievable at this point that those characters could ever get that strong. Introducing new characters is something they have always done in order to keep it going.

Just like in Super outside of Golden Frieza we've had pretty much all new characters as far as fighters. It's basically been how it's gone forever and there is no reason for them to change it up now. They have the tools to make the old characters relevant without needing them to be all-powerful but going the opposite route doesn't make the show more interesting. It does the opposite and damages it.

The best example being that even though Krillin being substantially weaker than Gohan beat him with a technique since the rules didn't need you to physically destroy your opponent, rather knock them off the stage making it objective based. Going that route would have been far far more interesting and instead it just makes it a chore and painful to watch. Even GT didn't make that mistake.

Fair enough but that model you bring up of always introducing new characters to keep up with Goku and Vegeta's power level has gotten to a point (and has been this way since the Buu saga) where even fan favorite Piccolo was pushed out of being a relevant fighter. Hit, who was barely introduced two arcs ago feels like he is just going to job for Goku's next Hit

It is unbelievable that other characters can fight the same Goku who was up in space fighting Beerus with God power levels in the first arc of this series. I agree. But the model of always bringing in new, stronger characters to throw at Goku and Vegeta's newest power up (while other characters are rendered useless) is a model that has been really divisive among fans for a long time. Something needed to change

Well I can sort of see 17 being strong, not SSB but up there, makes me wonder what Toriyama would of done to this character if it weren't for his editor meddling with the manga.

Hell, didn't they try that whole "ultimate lifeform" angle with him in GT during the Super 17 saga? (Yes, I know it's not canon just asking.)

I'd love to see Bandai games exploit this new 17 in what if scenarios, like what if he was fighting Buu, or Beerus, or taking on the new first form Frieza before Goku/Vegeta arrived?

Slaythe

Well I can sort of see 17 being strong, not SSB but up there, makes me wonder what Toriyama would of done to this character if it weren't for his editor meddling with the manga.

Hell, didn't they try that whole "ultimate lifeform" angle with him in GT during the Super 17 saga? (Yes, I know it's not canon just asking.)

They did.

And failed utterly :p .

Fair enough but that model you bring up of always introducing new characters to keep up with Goku and Vegeta's power level has gotten to a point (and has been this way since the Buu saga) where even fan favorite Piccolo was pushed out of being a relevant fighter. Hit, who was barely introduced two arcs ago feels like he is just going to job for Goku's next Hit

It is unbelievable that other characters can fight the same Goku who was up in space fighting Beerus with God power levels in the first arc of this series. I agree. But the model of always bringing in new, stronger characters to throw at Goku and Vegeta's newest power up is a model that has been really divisive among fans for a long time. Something needed to change

Piccolo can still have good fights in arcs without needing to be able to keep up with Goku. He was about to defeat Frost if not for Vegeta, for instance. Blame the writing at that point and not the rules the show-verse has been following all along.

NeonZ

Those gains pale in comparison to 17's. They are not even comparable.

Of course, since the powers just keep increasing, but yet the power Goku gained from training with Kami also paled compared to the power that the humans got in a much shorter amount of time (and this gets worse later when it's retconned that Goku got to train in the RoSaT while Kami hid it from the humans).

Piccolo himself somehow was acting like he had gotten a big boost from training one week with North Kaio. Of course, we never got to see his power there before he fused (although Nail claimed he was very powerful).

Every accomplishment becomes common after an arc or two. From doing the kamehameha to climbing Korin's tower to training with Kami to super saiyan 1-3. In a year you had Goku go from a power level of less than 400 to defeating Frieza and a chapter later Trunks made that look like nothing.

The series pretty much stopped doing that for the humans by the Cell arc, and for everyone besides the Saiyans for the Buu arc (which even had a bunch of senseless lines indicating that the base Saiyans were stronger than Piccolo). Super's first 3 arcs also seemed to continue with that. Future Trunks arc was the first time they seemed to be stepping back on it, but even so it was for a single character. So, really, although it happened before, it's not surprising to see backlash to it.

Man if they keep up some of this crap in Super it may get rated worse than GT by me.

17 in no way should be even close to SSJ2 levels and I could care less what any 17 fans think. At least GT is consistent.

GT had Base Goku somehow reaching Kid Buu level from generic training. It had Uub going from Base Goku level to SSJ3 Goku level with a generic "training in the mountains" and then somehow, after fusing with Majin Buu, in the Super 17 arc, he was reduced to Goten/Trunks level, bellow base Goku (He kicks Super 17, who doesn't even flinch, while Goku sends him flying). GT's power levels were a big mess too if you actually attempt to track all statements, and in that case the mess mostly existed to favor a single character - Goku.

HeroR

Blue being trivialized is a good thing. I've disliked it since day one.

It hasn't. 17 is still inferior to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, something 17 admitted. So you can keep disliking it.

It's been fairly substantiated and has only been made a joke during this arc. Trunks wasn't able to even touch Vegeta when he was SSB, the Gods of Destruction and Kais were literally shitting themselves that Goku had that power. The only people up until now that have been able to withstand it are extremely powerful foes. Hit for example has been an assassin that kills for over a thousand years, even if not as strong knows how to fight. Black was the same being as Goku.

This arc? This is the same arc that had the Gods of Destruction crap themselves when they saw Goku transformed into a god. He then stomped Toppa, a candidate to be a God of Destruction. so this arc actually made Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan an even bigger deal. And again, 17 admitted that Goku could have beating him at any time.

Cimarron

YES!!!! Great episode. My predictions were true. He has been training. And he is a beast. The androids were designed to be saiyan busters. His strength is no suprise to me. Now excuse me while I change my shorts.

*smokes cigarette*

Slaythe

It hasn't. 17 is still inferior to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, something 17 admitted. So you can keep disliking it.

He didn't admit that.

My kingdom for whoever can loop this sequence (with his hair flowing)

a9fa590183c69b860770c0f57844243f.png

Honestly, if retconning power level bullshit is what's necessary to get side characters back to playing prominent roles, I'll gladly take that option. Power levels were always dumb anyways

Meh I don't even see this as retconning. Just more extreme power jumps, which was always a thing. Not quite to this extent, but all DB has ever given to justify this kind of stuff is some kind of clear explanation as to why. This stays consistent with that.

The Trunks nonsense is extremely bad to me because it didn't even do that. And no I'm not talking about the episode when he gets his new form.

HeroR

He didn't admit that.

My kingdom for whoever can loop this sequence (with his hair flowing)

a9fa590183c69b860770c0f57844243f.png

I thought you put me on ignore.

Actually he did. He said that Goku could have beating him, to which Goku said that he was also holding back. So 17 believes Goku is stronger than him.

Flowmoney

Power levels are weird , Goku seemed like he was like 10x stronger than the stronger people minus like saiyans in Buu Saga.

God stuff made it look like he transcended regular humans and at that point we could type in a long line of random numbers on a calculator.

Then Future Trunks surpassed it as a regular saiyan without the help of Gods and nowhere to really train really.

Now 17 is stronger or about as strong as Blue while doing the same job as Krillin but in a forest setting with mountain to run on. Where was he when a lot of events threatened the earth , which happens to also threaten his village?

I kinda want to convert my FFXIV char to look like 17 now lol. I'm already a MNK.

I'm giving the hero in Dragon Quest XI some sort of name tied to Android 17

Can't wait for Tien to defeat SSB Goku when he's recruited and people to rationalize it.

I don't think THAT is going to happen :p

But I would love it if
Tien held his own vs SSJ Goku and the Goku turns blue to push him to his limit and knock him out easily

Skeeter49

I don't get the issue with this episode. God powers is not something that normal people can't match if they train, which 17 has, and it was heavily implied Goku wasn't using his full power. 17's an android, so he isn't similar to Krillin.

I enjoyed it. We got a lot of extra story I didn't expect. The last few episodes have been good at throwing stuff that wasn't expected.

Slaythe

I thought you put me on ignore.

Actually he did. He said that Goku could have beating him, to which Goku said that he was also holding back. So 17 believes Goku is stronger than him.

I guess I missed you bb <3.

Also you clearly haven't watched the episode with official subs, because 17 never said that.

Skeeter49

I hope this happens just for the reaction.

I think it'll be a team fight of Roshi and Tien vs. Goku, and Roshi will use the Mafuba while Tien either uses the Kikoho to keep Goku in place while Roshi charges it,
or Roshi uses it right away and Tien uses that opportunity to kick Goku out of bounds.

NeonZ

I don't think THAT is going to happen :p

But I would love it if
Tien held his own vs SSJ Goku and the Goku turns blue to push him to his limit and knock him out easily

If they're remembering old techniques now, maybe Tenshinhan will get to use his Kamehameha Counter, which was supposed to work doesn't matter the power of the opponent's Kamehameha, but was never even mentioned after the 22nd Budokai.

What 17 stated was that if he and Goku had fought before (keyword before, as in, in the past) he probably would have lost. He didn't comment on whether or not he would lose if he fought Goku seriously at this point in time.

HeroR

I guess I missed you bb <3.

Also you clearly haven't watched the episode with official subs, because 17 never said that.

I did watched the sub. He said that he could beat him and Goku said that was also holding back.

If they're remembering old techniques now, maybe Tenshinhan will get to use his Kamehameha Counter, which was supposed to work doesn't matter the power of the opponent's Kamehameha, but was never even mentioned after the 22nd Budokai.

I doubt that was a specific counter since Tien said back at the 23rd tournament that Goku was holding back since he never used the Kamehameha. An odd statement if he knew that Goku knew about him able to counter it.

What 17 stated was that if he and Goku had fought before (keyword before, as in, in the past) he probably would have lost. He didn't comment on whether or not he would lose if he fought Goku seriously at this point in time.

Goku also said that 17 was holding back, which is an odd statement if he was referring to the past.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
17 has been training for 10 fucking years. In terms of DBZ logic 10 years is a long fucking time. 17 was young and already pretty goddamned powerful...remember Uub is just a kid and yet equal to Majin Buu.

Since when it was mentioned that Uub is equal to Majin Buu? I thought he's just a strong kid with huge potential, but his power level isn't up there yet.

Yep hence why i'm confused at this back and forth discussion going on about this.

Some screenshots needs to be posted then if there is some actual difference in the sub that's enough to change the meaning.

NeonZ

I doubt that was a specific counter since Tien said back at the 23rd tournament that Goku was holding back since he never used the Kamehameha. An odd statement if he knew that Goku knew about him able to counter it.

Even with that counter he still was technically knocked down by Goku's Kamehameha in the 22nd Budokai, since Goku used it to launch himself against Tenshinhan, rather than hit him with the beam directly. So that doesn't mean the counter wouldn't work. The only description we have like I mentioned above outright said that the power of the technique was irrelevant.

Skeeter49

Man if they keep up some of this crap in Super it may get rated worse than GT by me.

17 in no way should be even close to SSJ2 levels and I could care less what any 17 fans think. At least GT is consistent.
Like how 2 17's fused together, one like you said shouldn't even be SSJ2 level = Stronger than SSJ4, only to be defeated by base form Goku a few episodes later.

Goku also said that 17 was holding back, which is an odd statement if he was referring to the past.

The flow of the conversation (and 17's use of "ano koro") means 17 was stating Goku would have beaten him back when 17 was actually thinking of killing him. Goku isn't quite as sure since he now sees what 17 is (was) capable of.

Then they go on to say they're still holding back on each other.

HeroR

Even with that counter he still was technically knocked down by Goku's Kamehameha in the 22nd Budokai, since Goku used it to launch himself against Tenshinhan, rather than hit him with the beam directly. So that doesn't mean the counter wouldn't work. The only description we have like I mentioned above outright said that the power of the technique was irrelevant.

Not sure if that counts, but I guess it can be viewed that way.

The flow of the conversation (and 17's use of "ano koro") means 17 was stating Goku would have beaten him back when 17 was actually thinking of killing him. Goku isn't quite as sure since he now sees what 17 is (was) capable of.

Then they go on to say they're still holding back on each other.

Goku would be sure since he knew where 17 stood to him before and after he left the time chamber. So it would be Goku being humble. And Goku straight out said, 'I will try not to kill you'.

ElFly

so 17 is straight up the third more powerful earth inhabitant?

it's weird to say a little

maybe some cell rubbed off on him and even then it's odd

17 being around SSBlue level is fucking bullshit

This is from the story that made it so not only can you be beat to nearly death, healed, and then get a humongous power-up, but you can also exploit this by having your friend shoot you with a healer next to you to immediately solve the problem and give you the power up.

I'm sick of Saiyans hogging all the power. Get yours, 17.

Skeeter49

My understanding.

17 said he might not have been able to defeat Goku back then during the Cell saga.
There are 2 truths to this. 17 was stronger than Goku before ROSAT. Goku was stronger than 17 after ROSAT.

Goku said "I don't know about that."
Most likely indicating that before the ROSAT he would have been destroyed by 17.

Then they go on to talk about the present. They are both presumably holding back.

This is from the story that made it so not only can you be beat to nearly death, healed, and then get a humongous power-up, but you can also exploit this by having your friend shoot you with a healer next to you to immediately solve the problem and give you the power up.

I'm sick of Saiyans hogging all the attention. Get yours, 17.

seriously, power level bullshit was the worst thing that ever happened to the series

My understanding.

17 said he might not have been able to defeat Goku back then during the Cell saga.
There are 2 truths to this. 17 was stronger than Goku before ROSAT. Goku was stronger than 17 after ROSAT.

Goku said "I don't know about that."
Most likely indicating that before the ROSAT he would have been destroyed by 17.

Then they go on to talk about the present. They are both presumably holding back.

Correct.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Toriyama mentioned it in an interview years ago. It was the one where the confirmed the ranger thing too though some think TFS came up with the concept.

TFS didn't come up with the concept of 17 being a park ranger. He's depicted holding up some poachers at gunpoint in the Buu saga.

You mean power scaling, which has always been part of Dragon Ball, just asked Yamcha and Krillin, and even Tien after Piccolo came.

None of those characters were really useless until Z after power level bullshit was introduced. Except Yamcha, but he was always a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom