• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

...I always thought Magetta was a bit of a joke so I'm surprised this many people even care about him. He's a farting machine man whose weakness is insults. You can't ruin him anymore than you can ruin moldy bread.

Massicot

Is "choppo" normally associated with robots in japaense (think "Gero Gero" for a frog or such) and doesn't translate over, or is it Magetta specific.

If it's specific to Magetta I really don't understand why they'd take it out. If it's a more general Japanese language thing I can...kinda...see it. Though I miss it.

DL_LihqX0AAQNGv.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think 17 18 krilin and roshi are the only characters that look consistently good in super.
krillin look's "good" mostly because he has a pretty simple design compared to everyone else with their anime hair.

But they dont draw him with muscles, and theyve shown it enough for it to be on purpose, yet in every other media they always show krillin as the body builder he is. It's possible since he is "rusty" that they are drawing him kinda as just this regular guy to show that he can still improve.

He needs those Gohan gains

So he went from a character that can only say "Cho-po" to one that talks in a robot voice. If a joke doesn't translate then it needs to be changed so it does, that's how translation works.

The joke translates fine, Funimation completely ruined it.
What character? If anything they gave him more character.

The completely took away the character he had, he now has no emotion to his voice, when before he conveyed things in the way he said Choo-po.

Is "choppo" normally associated with robots in japaense (think "Gero Gero" for a frog or such) and doesn't translate over, or is it Magetta specific.

If it's specific to Magetta I really don't understand why they'd take it out. If it's a more general Japanese language thing I can...kinda...see it. Though I miss it.

It's the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of steam, they could have left it alone or just replaced it with something like "Choo Choo".

Khansolo1

Man I can’t stop watching 109-110.
My favorite thing was beerus’s reaction to goku’s “death” and then when goku re-emerged “he’s coming”

This isn't Pikachu suddenly being able to speak to Ash in the English dub. There wasn't enough to work with so they threw something extra on it. There's nothing there to ruin.

No, it's really easy to do in English, just make it Choo-Choo if they want to change it at all. From a translation stand point the choice Funimation made is an objectively poor one and one that shows very little respect for the source material. Magetta was just the breaking point for me, the dub is full of errors and scene meanings being fucked up and in general the voice direction is a huge step back from the movies and Kai.
I outright do not like the dub, there's nothing anyone can do to convince me that the Funimation dub is good.
How is the Japanese version not a meme?

Onomatopoeia's aren't memes. Is "Bark" a meme?

No, it's really easy to do in English, just make it Choo-Choo if they want to change it at all. From a translation stand point the choice Funimation made is an objectively poor one and one that shows very little respect for the source material. Magetta was just the breaking point for me, the dub is full of errors and scene meanings being fucked up and in general the voice direction is a huge step back from the movies and Kai.
I outright do not like the dub, there's nothing anyone can do to convince me that the Funimation dub is good.

So I ask again, how is the dub version a meme?

They're both done for humor purposes.

An onomatopoeia can be a meme, it depends on the context like any other meme.

Morlas

an intelligent non-animal creature only speaking in onamotopoeias sounds pretty memeish to me tbh

Magwik

Banned
How the heck is it a meme?

There was exactly the amount to work with because that's what it was. They didn't have to "work" anything!
Someone with a Metal Gear avatar should know that memes are the DNA of the soul and can be anything. They're both memes, however one is just worse.

Durden77

So if the ending song a full song? Like Boogie Back? Or was that little bit just made for Super?

I'm fucking obsessed with these ending credits and I don't know why. Actually I do, but still.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What was even the point of having Tien in this episode? Dude got so throughly stomped it wasn't even funny. And he had just finished getting humiliated in front of his students too.

They should have had his students there for that beatdown. Only way it could have been meaner.

Neat trivia. TIL.

Yea maybe they could have done something where he sounded like a train or a boiler.

He even says "Chugga Chugga" at one point in episode 36 in the dub, so they translated it just fine. The "joke doesn't translate" excuse is bull, there is no reason for him to be text to speech and say his sound effects and things like "WARNING WARNING" and "CANNOT CONTINUE".

They should have just had a dude say "Chugga Chugga" and "Choo Choo", that would have been a perfect and accurate localization of the character.

Magwik

Banned
He even says "Chugga Chugga" at one point in episode 36 in the dub, so they translated it just fine. The "joke doesn't translate" excuse is bull, there is no reason for him to be text to speech and say his sound effects and things like "WARNING WARNING" and "CANNOT CONTINUE".

They should have just had a dude say "Chugga Chugga" and "Choo Choo", that would have been a perfect and accurate localization of the character.
If they mess up Black/Zamasu then JoJo will have a more accurate English dub that Dragon Ball. What a weird time.

Sciz

Funi's punched up scripts are consistently funnier than the original Japanese. I'll take that over 100% accuracy.

I think Magetta's voice change was a very poor choice, but outside of that and that errors with the creator of the Super Dragon Balls how exactly is the voice direction and scripting worse than than Kai?

All this does is annoy me that Super wasn't simulcasted properly so now any minor deviation from the Japanese dub is now treated as the worst thing ever. Since that's what people are familiar with now.

Top Bottom