• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Morlas

I don't know why funimation is suddenly shit at their job because they made a decision about dubbing a character that you didn't like, a character that's supposed to be a joke character anyway mind you

Ashodin

Morlas is right, Funi's script is hilarious normally.

"Oh RIGHT, let's go see YAMCHA."

The whole bit of Krillin imitating 18 and everyone else gives me life

Are you meming? He's pretty relevant right now without outright becoming the main character again.

I suppose he's not completely irrelevant.

The U10 elimination was great, but I guess I need to come to terms with Gohan being a side character. In the Buu saga at least there was the whole Supreme Kai training and Ultimate form that ended the series with him technically being the strongest although Goku was still the main character.

We'll see what they have planned for him. His line about "developing a new form no one has seen" still has me hoping.

I suppose he's not completely irrelevant.

The U10 elimination was great, but I guess I need to come to terms with Gohan being a side character. In the Buu saga at least there was the whole Supreme Kai training and Ultimate form that ended the series with him technically being the strongest although Goku was still the main character.

We'll see what they have planned for him. His line about "developing a new form no one has seen" still has me hoping.

Something tells me we've just seen the form that Gohan's been aspiring toward. Ultra Instinct is like the most Gohan thing ever. Might as well just retcon Mystic as having been just a taste of UI's latent potential.
Goku going HAM on Jiren with UI was pretty much just Mystic Gohan vs Super Buu 2.0

Gohan gonna win the tourney with UI and wish the universes into one because he's the only one that gives a shit

Morlas

tumblr_ouf7c6CGO51tqikpfo7_1280.jpg

Funi's punched up scripts are consistently funnier than the original Japanese. I'll take that over 100% accuracy.

It depends on the script for me.

For this case, the dub script has really helped make ROF and the U6 tournament way more tolerable for me compared with the sub.

Magetta's really the only thing that hasn't worked for me so far.

It depends on the script for me.

The dub script has helped me survived the ROF saga and made Super way more tolerable for me compared to the sub.

Magetta's really the only thing that didn't work for me so far.

Magetta is also the only part of the script that i don't like

but i've said it before, i can't help but feel a lot of the funi actors have lost their touch in super. Maybe it's because I've been watching the subs for the past year and a half, but idk, i'm not enjoying it nearly as much as the z dub and i can't really pinpoint why

Ashodin

Something tells me we've just seen the form that Gohan's been aspiring toward. Ultra Instinct is like the most Gohan thing ever. Might as well just retcon Mystic as having been just a taste of UI's latent potential.
Goku going HAM on Jiren with UI was pretty much just Mystic Gohan vs Super Buu 2.0

Gohan gonna win the tourney with UI and wish the universes into one because he's the only one that gives a shit

Well the thing with Ultra Instinct is that it's not a new form - it's a technique that anyone can learn that ups your power significantly. So Gohan and anyone else really strong should aspire to learn it.

I think Magetta's voice change was a very poor choice, but outside of that and that errors with the creator of the Super Dragon Balls how exactly is the voice direction and scripting worse than than Kai?

All this does is annoy me that Super wasn't simulcasted properly so now any minor deviation from the Japanese dub is now treated as the worst thing ever. Since that's what people are familiar with now.

Things like "Kakarot is my enemy" instead of rival and them completely missing the point of the scene where Vegeta first sensed Whis' ki are great examples of them just doing things wrong. The voice direction doesn't feel natural in the slightest either, everything just feels so fake.
I don't know why funimation is suddenly shit at their job because they made a decision about dubbing a character that you didn't like, a character that's supposed to be a joke character anyway mind you

Yeah, ignore what I said about Magetta just being the newest thing in a series of things that bug me about the dub.
He's a humorous character, but not an outright joke character. Magetta being a man made of metal, but not being a robot is a supposed to be a subversion of your expectations and him only being able to say the Japanese onomatopoeia for steam is supposed to be silly, but his very existence is not a joke and he's presented as an actual strong character. Funimation completely missed the mark on Magetta.

Things like "Kakarot is my enemy" instead of rival and them completely missing the point of the scene where Vegeta first sensed Whis' ki are great examples of them just doing things wrong. The voice direction doesn't feel natural in the slightest either, everything just feels so fake.

Yeah, ignore what I said about Magetta just being the newest thing in a series of things that bug me about the dub.
He's a humorous character, but not an outright joke character. Magetta being a man made of metal, but not being a robot is a supposed to be a subversion of your expectations and him only being able to say the Japanese onomatopoeia for steam is supposed to be silly, but his very existence is not a joke and he's presented as an actual strong character. Funimation completely missed the mark on Magetta.

They actually changed that?

What the fuck?

Magetta is also the only part of the script that i don't like

but i've said it before, i can't help but feel a lot of the funi actors have lost their touch in super. Maybe it's because I've been watching the subs for the past year and a half, but idk, i'm not enjoying it nearly as much as the z dub and i can't really pinpoint why

Honestly, I would think it's because that everything before the Hit fight is pretty mediocre in Super.

Most of the people in the Toonami thread have said the humor from the dub has been the only thing that has kept them watching.

The only people I ever hear complaining about voices are the ones who watched the sub first.

Morlas

I'm sorry, but i just can't agree with you on that, they seem just as good as they've ever been to me and honestly Vegeta saying 'kakarot is my enemy' like 6 months after he just blew up an entire stadium full of people just for a chance to fight him feels more like an old habits die hard kind of thing rather than a mistake, also i'm not sure what you mean about him sensing whis i don't remember exactly what was said

Branson

They are very open to changing it for the Blu-Rays. Did those get changed at all? I dont expect Magetta to be changed though.

I'm sorry, but i just can't agree with you on that, they seem just as good as they've ever been to me and honestly Vegeta saying 'kakarot is my enemy' like 6 months after he just blew up an entire stadium full of people just for a chance to fight him feels more like an old habits die hard kind of thing rather than a mistake, also i'm not sure what you mean about him sensing whis i don't remember exactly what was said

Try 4 years.

Honestly, I would think it's because that everything before the Hit fight is pretty mediocre in Super.

Most of the people in the Toonami thread have said the humor from the dub has been the only thing that has kept them watching.

The only people I ever hear complaining about voices are the ones who watched the sub first.

that might be it as well.

i don't have any problem with the actual voices of the funi cast, love them to death in Z, just have been missing the mark for me in Super. The newer characters I'm a bit iffy on, but I don't hate most of them.

Hopefully the Hit fight is really good, and I'm hoping the F. Trunks arc will be good as well.

Magwik

Banned
For reference I don't believe the Funi dub is bad or that they are a poor dubbing company. They generally do really great work, however some really weird choices are just made in the Super dub. Changing Magetta is really just unnecessary.

It was 4 years and Goku and Vegeta aren't enemies.
As for the Whis thing, in the Japanese version in episode 16 Vegeta sense's Whis' energy for the first time and says that it's a ki of "nothingness" or "a ki without ki" and it won't let him attack, but in the English version Vegeta just says some sort of energy is stopping him from attacking, completely missing the first description of Divine Ki and showing that Vegeta is able to somewhat sense Whis now.

He's no more of a joke in the dub than he is in the og version. It's just a different joke.

No, he's more of a joke now, an annoying joke.
Chopo was always dumb

So you don't like the English version then? Choo-po is just the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of steam, the dub takes this to the extreme by having him say his own sound effects.
The fact of the mater is whether or not you like Funimation's Magetta, it's a poor localization of the character.

Morlas

As for the Whis thing, in the Japanese version in episode 16 Vegeta sense's Whis' energy for the first time and says that it's a ki of "nothingness" or "a ki without ki" and it won't let him attack, but in the English version Vegeta just says some sort of energy is stopping him form attacking, completely missing the first description of Divine Ki and showing that Vegeta is able to somewhat sense Whis now.

the show sure as hell doesn't act like it's been 4 years,

also i think that the english version of the thing with Whis still gets the point about Whis having a mysterious power that keeps Vegeta from acting well enough

the show sure as hell doesn't act like it's been 4 years,
The fact that Gohan and Videl are married should have been a huge hint to you that it's been some time.

also i think that the english version of the thing with Whis still gets the point about Whis having a mysterious power that keeps Vegeta from acting well enough

I just told you what it said, Vegeta says some energy is holding him back, but it completely misses the actual description of what Divine Ki feels like.

As for the Whis thing, in the Japanese version in episode 16 Vegeta sense's Whis' energy for the first time and says that it's a ki of "nothingness" or "a ki without ki" and it won't let him attack, but in the English version Vegeta just says some sort of energy is stopping him from attacking, completely missing the first description of Divine Ki and showing that Vegeta is able to somewhat sense Whis now.

No, he's more of a joke now, an annoying joke.

So you don't like the English version then? Choo-po is just the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of steam, the dub takes this to the extreme by having him say his own sound effects.
The fact of the mater is whether or not you like Funimation's Magetta, it's a poor localization of the character.

You just see it as more of a joke because you think it's more annoying. They're both jokes.

I'm fine with the english version, but I never thought this character would ever be such a big deal lol.

You just see it as more of a joke because you think it's more annoying. They're both jokes.

I'm fine with the english version, but I never thought this character would ever be such a big deal lol.

It's not "just this character", like I said it's the newest thing in a line of things that bug me, this one just bugs me the most because it's a really poor localization of a character that shows no respect for the source material. What they've done with Magetta is a prime example of what a dub SHOULDN'T do.

Morlas

The fact that Gohan and Videl are married should have been a huge hint to you that it's been some time.

I just told you what it said, Vegeta says some energy is holding him back, but it completely misses the actual description of what Divine Ki feels like.

....how'd you multiquote my post like that

I concede your point about the time passing, but I feel like the Whis and Vegeta scene is fine the way it is in English because honestly, 'the way divine ki feels' means nothing to me since i have no context for how ki feels, but i can understand why you would dislike the lost context of the scene

It's not "just this character", like I said it's the newest thing in a line of things that bug me, this one just bugs me the most because it's a really poor localization of a character that shows no respect for the source material. What they've done with Magetta is a prime example of what a dub SHOULDN'T do.

I don't have a problem with that, I just dont get the "joke" angle of the discussion in regards to Magetta.

I'm going to have to disagree with that natural comment since most of the returning characters sound exactly like they did in the Kai dub. Which coincidentally airs right after the Super dub, I could maybe understand your point if we're talking about Microsoft Sam Magetta though.

I'm still not seeing the issue with Whis's ki since only the description of nothingness is being left out here. In both versions the end result is the same with Vegeta unable to attack due to him not being able to fully detect Whis's Aura or energy for the dub.

Top Bottom