• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

Shouta

The biggest problem with this arc is that there haven't been any sustained fights.The longest so far has been 2 episodes, I think? It's really messing with the rhythm of the show. They can't really build up towards anything at all because they're jumping around to so many characters and they don't have the time to build up for that clash. Jiren vs Goku should have been the final one for the arc normally. They'll need to pull something out for the end of the arc but it's hard to imagine what they could do that would work well without feeling reused.

If they had reorganized it so the fights were grouped together, it would have made way more sense and let them build towards the finale. I would have preferred to see Kefla closer to when Kale went berserk and had Goku showing a bit of Ultra Instinct there then fully debut it against Jiren.

BatSu

Hi

Would it be possible to put the white background to this image, please?

wallhaven-571057.jpg

Vidiot

Okay that wasn't too bad. Seems he was taking on Kefla easy with blue plus kio ken. If he was in top form I'm sure that would have been enough.

NeonZ

I’m starting to think both Goku, and Gohan unlock their own form of “ultra instinct” ... ultimate?

If anyone else gets it this arc, I'd guess it's Freeza. There's a reason they conveniently didn't even think about calling Goku's new state a Super Saiyan form.

NeonZ

why do they hate piccolo? alwas getting shit beat out of him, gohan has to save him every fricking time....

To be fair, that was only in the last few episodes against these Namekians. Previously it was Piccolo the one doing that, like against the sniper, when Gohan got to be completely useless for half of an episode while Piccolo was getting torn apart due to taking hits for him.

LordOfChaos

Whis's tone and Beerus's grimace are interesting...Beerus should be cheering like a wild fangirl that Goku is able to attain such an advantage in the tournament, but instead he seems very wary of it every time. Worried it's outdone his own imperfect UI?

U3 doesn't need fusion = MEGAZORD CONFIRMED

Also this
tumblr_ozad75eP6G1uq6svio3_r1_540.gif

ajim

Whis's tone and Beerus's grimace are interesting...Beerus should be cheering like a wild fangirl that Goku is able to attain such an advantage in the tournament, but instead he seems very wary of it every time. Worried it's outdone his own imperfect UI?
Whis just seemed genuinely shocked like Goku us amazing. And Beerus just seems pissed off, thought he was going to jump in and do a goku beat down for a minute he looked that menacing haha

Ash735

Whilst some of the focus seems a tad too heavy on Goku and U6 Saiyans right now, I'm still enjoying the TOP, just feels very one sided though in the past couple of episodes when this arc is at it's best when a different fighter gets the focus each episode. I mean it feels like they keep teasing the U6 Namekians vs Piccolo/Gohan and especially teasing Toppo vs Vegeta which seems like fight which could be extremely interesting to see play out but instead over the course of the past 3 episodes we've got like 2 minutes of screen time of these.

Angelcurio

While the last episode was entertaining, i'm still somewhat disappointed with the heavy emphasis with Goku so far. Kefla could have been an interesting opponent for Freeza, while UI could have been reserved for the final confrontation against Jiren. Now we will probably see Goku get tired again and then we are back into square one.

Goku eventually using UI for a third time is going to get repetitive, and will make the new transformation lose any kind of exclusivity or uniqueness that it could have had. The worst part of that is that it is happening while you still have 6 fighters on your universe doing nothing, when they could have been the focus of the tournament while Goku recovers his stamina.

I think that something that disrupts the tournament needs to happen, or else it will get really boring if they keep this pace until march.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Also this
tumblr_ozad75eP6G1uq6svio3_r1_540.gif
Krillin inspired destructo disk attack?

Espada

Have they explained how UI is actually achieved? Is this something everyone can get?

All they've said is that Goku achieves it by "breaking out of his shell" or something like that. They've been very clear that this is not just a Saiyan form or power, since Beerus himself has an imperfect version of UI he's working on.

I bet a big twist later on is that someone nasty like Frieza has managed to figure out Ultra Instinct, in which case that's a huge problem.

Atrus

Gold Member

I think the gestalt form was confirmed/implied by each ones oversized body part. A green megazord is to be expected at some point though it doesn't explain why paparoni and katopesla couldn't have simply combined. I guess U3 is just that confident in their bot being the best they could field even with potara, that and the bots don't really have ears.

Quietla's smirk is a bit odd though so the two hidden fighters and/or Shantsa is a beast.

Universe 2 however seems out of options as all of their fighters are outclassed and their Gods didn't feel confident in them winning without Potara earrings.
I'm guessing the order of eliminations will be 6,4,2,3 and then 11.

Espada

Yeah, I think unless it goes really badly for the robots U6 and U2 are in dire straits. U2 is running out of people, and U6 has the misfortune of their strongest character fighting the Asspull Emperor. I think one of those two is getting erased in
episode 119 since that episode is all about drama and a universe being wiped

Astral Dog

The biggest problem with this arc is that there haven't been any sustained fights.The longest so far has been 2 episodes, I think? It's really messing with the rhythm of the show. They can't really build up towards anything at all because they're jumping around to so many characters and they don't have the time to build up for that clash. Jiren vs Goku should have been the final one for the arc normally. They'll need to pull something out for the end of the arc but it's hard to imagine what they could do that would work well without feeling reused.

If they had reorganized it so the fights were grouped together, it would have made way more sense and let them build towards the finale. I would have preferred to see Kefla closer to when Kale went berserk and had Goku showing a bit of Ultra Instinct there then fully debut it against Jiren.
Ironically we have people complaining the Caulifla/Kefla fight is dragging on.

RefigeKru

Banned
Ironically we have people complaining the Caulifla/Kefla fight is dragging on.

Not really a "fight" though is it? It's a vehicle for Goku to go UI again and despite that it hasn't been riveting, well animated, tense, any of that really. That's where the disconnect lies for me at least.

Yeah, I think unless it goes really badly for the robots U6 and U2 are in dire straits. U2 is running out of people, and U6 has the misfortune of their strongest character fighting the Asspull Emperor. I think one of those two is getting erased in
episode 119 since that episode is all about drama and a universe being wiped

If there is honestly any drama then
it will be Universe 6 due to the closer relation to the cast, such as Champa and the Saiyans.

Not really a "fight" though is it? It's a vehicle for Goku to go UI again and despite that it hasn't been riveting, well animated, tense, any of that really. That's where the disconnect lies for me at least.

It's also doubles as a "rub" for Caulifla/Kale/Kefla to give them a bit of a shine and show that they can 'hang' with the cast as undoubtedly we will see them again at some point later.

kunonabi

If there is honestly any drama then
it will be Universe 6 due to the closer relation to the cast, such as Champa and the Saiyans.

It's also doubles as a "rub" for Caulifla/Kale/Kefla to give them a bit of a shine and show that they can 'hang' with the cast as undoubtedly we will see them again at some point later.

They can barely hang with a stamina depleted Goku even when they're double teaming him. This doesnt make them look like anything other than chumps. At least it took awhile before they turned Vegeta into an absolute nobody.

cm osi

well that was another penis measurement episode, they're already not great, and they're getting stale. 2 seconds of the namekians fight that gohan should be able to wipe without effort and frieza looking at goku obtaining a power vastly superior than his own and he's not even worried about it
they're really stretching it

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Have they explained how UI is actually achieved? Is this something everyone can get?

Yes anyone can get it, in fact Whis has been trying to teach it to goku and vegeta ever since they started training with him after BoG. This is also where Whis mentioned that Beerus hasn't mastered it yet
Beerus (and prolly most of the GoDs) has it too, but his is not perfect (yet).

If you go back and watch some beerus stuff you can actually see that he uses it all the time, the way he moves is just so fluid.
2N7Kx0K.gif

cy02ivU.gif

1eZ37PU.gif

And of course,
going by spoilers, using it a second time causes his gas tank to empty again, leaving him right where he was 5 episodes ago. Honestly, it's either going to be a universe 7 win via sheer numbers by the timer runs out, or it's going to be people still in the ring giving him energy to get his stamina level back to full capacity, trigger the "fully developed UI and beat Jiren or have them stalemate as the timer reaches zero.

Honestly, the second option isn't out of the realm of possiblility, and seems viable given that 17 and 18 both have supposedly "infinite" supplies of energy and can feed a fuck ton to Goku, and they would be no worse for wear supposedly. Or Goku fully recovers in 10 minutes or some shit like that. I don't even fuckin know anymore.

Rising_Hei

Yes anyone can get it, in fact Whis has been trying to teach it to goku and vegeta ever since they started training with him after BoG. This is also where Whis mentioned that Beerus hasn't mastered it yet
Beerus (and prolly most of the GoDs) has it too, but his is not perfect (yet).

If you go back and watch some beerus stuff you can actually see that he uses it all the time, the way he moves is just so fluid.
2N7Kx0K.gif

cy02ivU.gif

1eZ37PU.gif

I think that's just the way anyone moves in Dragon Ball when the team that makes it wants you to know that character X is vastly superior to character Y

I think Beerus and most gods know that they barely stand a chance against Goku if they keep being lazy asses about their training!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I think that's just the way anyone moves in Dragon Ball when the team that makes it wants you to know that character X is vastly superior to character Y

I think Beerus and most gods know that they barely stand a chance against Goku if they keep being lazy asses about their training!

Nobody has moved like beerus, cept UI goku now; it was clear foreshadowing to UI and Whis even mentions it afterwards explicitely during their training.
Goku himself even comments on it right after he can't touch beerus.
It's important to see that UI users don't just dodge, they move around without thinking about it; flowing around like water.

Rising_Hei

Mmm maybe the effect of UI is different depending on each person/race/wathever?
That might explain why when people "used" to it see it, they don't realice it's UI on the go.
On jiren/beerus it looks very natural to themselves (yes, i think jiren uses it constantly), on Goku it's like a transformation that not only gives him those movements, but that it also unlocks all his hidden power (very typical of saiyans)

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't think Jiren has UI though, he's just dumb strong; perhaps he has a very rough version of it.

Also the transformation part of UI for goku seems to be his "heat" aura, which Whis commented on.
It prolly enables him to use UI for some reason, but it shouldn't be required.

hohoXD123

I don't think Jiren has UI though, he's just dumb strong; perhaps he has a very rough version of it.

Also the transformation part of UI for goku seems to be his "heat" aura, which Whis commented on.
It prolly enables him to use UI for some reason, but it shouldn't be required.

I thought it was pretty obvious that he does have it. From the various times he has dodged attacks without moving to the instant punches that no one can follow.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty obvious that he does have it. From the various times he has dodged attacks without moving to the instant punches that no one can follow.

That's just being fast, UI isn't being fast; it's a type of movement.
When he fights goku his movements are still very standard dragonball fast guy stuff, he doesn't move at all like goku or beerus do.

They make a very big deal about goku's weird/unreal movements, they never do so for jiren, just that he's stupid strong/fast.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
well that was another penis measurement episode, they're already not great, and they're getting stale. 2 seconds of the namekians fight that gohan should be able to wipe without effort and frieza looking at goku obtaining a power vastly superior than his own and he's not even worried about it
they're really stretching it

One more week of this and then we can move on...

hohoXD123

That's just being fast, UI isn't being fast; it's a type of movement.
When he fights goku his movements are still very standard dragonball fast guy stuff, he doesn't move at all like goku or beerus do.

They make a very big deal about goku's weird/unreal movements, they never do so for jiren, just that he's stupid strong/fast.

It's not just being fast. Remember when he dodged the blocks at the start of the tournament, very similar to Goku walking through Toppo's attack and dodging Kefla's attacks, except in the latter for our benefit we actually see him dodging in slow motion.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's not just being fast. Remember when he dodged the blocks at the start of the tournament, very similar to Goku walking through Toppo's attack and dodging Kefla's attacks, except in the latter for our benefit we actually see him dodging in slow motion.

It wasn't similar at all.
He just stood still while the blocks moved past him, there was no movement at all from jiren.

LordOfChaos

I think the gestalt form was confirmed/implied by each ones oversized body part. A green megazord is to be expected at some point though it doesn't explain why paparoni and katopesla couldn't have simply combined. I guess U3 is just that confident in their bot being the best they could field even with potara, that and the bots don't really have ears.

Quietla's smirk is a bit odd though so the two hidden fighters and/or Shantsa is a beast.

Universe 2 however seems out of options as all of their fighters are outclassed and their Gods didn't feel confident in them winning without Potara earrings.
I'm guessing the order of eliminations will be 6,4,2,3 and then 11.

Did they miss though that potara is a tens of times multiplier on TOP of combined power? Robots combining doesn't seem like it would do that, just add their powers. Unless all of them are smurfing so far.

Top Bottom