• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch launches September 22 in the Americas and Europe

Scrawnton

I put in the work today. I got to level 79 on my Saiyan Princess. Beat the story mode and got some Whis Symbol Battle Armor.

So the DLC that’s free for a month, we’re all just ‘buying’ that now and waiting even if we haven’t bought the game, right? There’s no way for them to remove that?

The most jarring thing, is walking around the lobby-town at 20fps, that looks like it wouldn't be out of place on the PS2...and then entering one of the battle stages that look pretty damn good. :p

It's like a generation leap within the game.
Wow, that is crazy to visualize, but at least they put the most effort on the part the battles instead of the other way around.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wow, that is crazy to visualize, but at least they put the most effort on the part the battles instead of the other way around.
Hes kinda right, some horrible ass textures for current gen game but looks so much better in battle

foxuzamaki

I said this in the OT but this game has some stupid music but it also has kickass music, once you get multi-lobby thd hub music gets so much better but i still prefer the rift world music

Vena

The hub is weird, its like it wasn't optimized at all.

But they sure as hell optimized the battle zones. Priorities I guess?

brinstar

Story wise I believe it should cover all the events of Dragon Ball Z onward. How well the story is told I'm not sure. Still have to open my copy but if anyone else can chime in here please let us know. I assume you might see events in the show play out, see how they get altered and then take part in the fights.

I'm not that far in but I feel like the plot to this would be incomprehensible if one didn't already know the series

To be fair, the hub looks more or less fine when docked. Everything looks pretty sharp and the frame rate is fine.

Undocked, it looks like the 3DS port of Dragon Quest 8 with a worse frame rate. It's weird, nothing about the hub screams 'demanding'.

foxuzamaki

To be fair, the hub looks more or less fine when docked. Everything looks pretty sharp and the frame rate is fine.

Undocked, it looks like the 3DS port of Dragon Quest 8 with a worse frame rate. It's weird, nothing about the hub screams 'demanding'.
Yeah, docked the game runs and looks good, but the textures are still terrible in some places that I wonder how there were any downgrades in the 1st place

Game is currently #2 on the recent releases on the US eShop.

Story wise I believe it should cover all the events of Dragon Ball Z onward. How well the story is told I'm not sure. Still have to open my copy but if anyone else can chime in here please let us know. I assume you might see events in the show play out, see how they get altered and then take part in the fights.

What's #1? Pokken Tournament DX?

Anyway, hopefully DF does a performance analysis on this.

Finally off work and hopped back on, glad to know that you can play offline. But man this is my first Dragon Ball game since Budokai 3 and god I forgot how exhilarating these fights are, the tutorial section alone was hype enough for me.

slatis

Neo Member
I'm loving this game so far, the only thing that bothers me is the Spanish localization, it's based on the Spanish version of Dragon Ball which by the way is hideous. Other than that, this game is a must if you haven't play XV2 in any other platform.

Same ol G

I don't know if I feel good about getting this on the Switch. The hub area has textures that come straight from the PS2 era, and the music is god awful too! Rest of the game seems alright though.

Handheld mode is rough around the edges. Sub native res no AA. Near the area where you can play online/offline battles and quests, camera facing the center of the hub; if you pause the game the frame rate tanks to 20's and the resolution gets laughably low. And thus sluggish menus to navigate. It's only really that one spot I noticed so far, but yeah watch out for moments like those. Docked mode is far more consistent and less resolution changes, less hiccups in frame rate.

I'm in the hub area too much, need to get a 35 hit combo to unlock more quests?! How do I pull that off when I eventually knock the opponent away and the combo stops? I reached 34 hits by luck when AI partner was helping me with a blast of their own adding to the counter.

EDIT: Hah I took too long to write this but yeah I know what you mean Colonel Mustard!

When you knock someone back or down press b to chase.
Also look at your blue bar it's split in segments so you can see how many times you can chase an enemy.
Try to finish the combo with y at the end of that combo when you knock the enemy down press b to chase and start the combo with y again rinse and repeat.
I'm sayain btw don't know if the combo differs per race.

Same ol G

I said this in the OT but this game has some stupid music but it also has kickass music, once you get multi-lobby thd hub music gets so much better but i still prefer the rift world music
You can change the music you hear in the hub and the battle music in the options.
It's the first think i did, the standard hub music is horrible

deadfolk

You can change the music you hear in the hub and the battle music in the options.
It's the first think i did, the standard hub music is horrible

Thank the maker!

I usually have a pretty high tolerance, but the hub music in this grates even on me after a while.

ryushe

Bought the game...
Damn is it pixelated :(
Played in portable mode. Looks like a 3DS game sometimes.

What resolution is it running at? 320p?? :(
When early reports came out saying portable mode looks pretty bad, I took it as people overreacting but after playing it for a bit yesterday, it really does look... not good.

I find it hard to believe it's running at 720p. Docked mode looks good honestly, but I didn't double dip on this to play it on my TV. That said, the games still fun as heck so I can get over my grievances.

Bought the game...
Damn is it pixelated :(
Played in portable mode. Looks like a 3DS game sometimes.

What resolution is it running at? 320p?? :(

I saw someone saying this before, but maybe xenoverse artstyle without AA is not really suited for this resolution(720p), I was not shocked by the render because I've played vita games looking more pixelated than this, but yeah in the hub world it's clearly ugly.
Concerning battle I find the global render pretty decent even impressive sometimes with all effects, beam at the same time on the screen, and don't forget it's running on a tablet lol so having a game like this it's quite impressive.
Haven't tried in docked mode yet.

Can someone provide footage of the hub world in handheld mode? It definitely didn't look that bad in the docked vs handheld mode trailer they released.

Kikorin

My brother just bought it and I think It looks really good in battles, also seems really well optimized. All in handheld mode, I've still not seen it docked.

I have played solely in handheld mode since getting the game. The hub world looks bad, but it's mostly when the framerate dips. The dynamic resolution overcompensates and drops far lower than it should.

Battles are fine. Environments especially look good. Cutscenes are good for the most part, except when Trunks is around. His hair is too OP for the lack of AA. :p

BigFwoosh

Been trying to find comparison footage of the hub on YouTube but there's not a ton of XV2 Switch content on there yet. Anybody know a good video that shows the drop in quality at the hub?

No way to record handheld footage sorry, but here's what happens when the framerate dips.

From

qqxgqE0.jpg

to

It's a noticeable drop in resolution. I think it goes down even lower at times, but I couldn't get it to trigger.

Here's some screens from battle. Keep in mind they're compressed to all hell and blown up obviously. I think it looks fine.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man the overworld map music is like a Disneyland nightmare, this is like Frieza's hell.

Lagamorph

At £54.99 I honestly expected a version with all of the DLC included, not an extra £19.99 for it.

I was thinking of double dipping despite having the game and Season Pass on PC. At that sort of bullshit pricing though it's a hard pass from me.

MDave

Took my own screenshots in handheld mode too for those that want to see. Pulled them from the sdcard so eh, as good quality as you can get from the Switch's screenshot captures.

It's 3D elements are sub native resolution all the way through, from the character select / create screen ...

Hub area ...

Oh my jesus, check out those pixels on the right! It gets this low in only specific cases though.

Battles look sweet! This is docked mode, Switch downscales docked mode screenshots to 720p.

BigFwoosh

No way to record handheld footage sorry, but here's what happens when the framerate dips.

From

to

It's a noticeable drop in resolution. I think it goes down even lower at times, but I couldn't get it to trigger.

Here's some screens from battle. Keep in mind they're compressed to all hell and blown up obviously. I think it looks fine.
Thanks man. Does this happen when you play docked too?

Mediking

Gotta admit... this game is pretty fun.

Some of the HUB world music options sounds like wannabe Persona music. Lol

Hub world doesn't look that good but battles look very good.

Can't wait till I get some cool looking gear. I wanna have Goku's gi.

mebizzle

So the hub world runs like garbage on portable but the battles run great. Everything runs great docked, glad I waited on the switch version for this one

Top Bottom