• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch launches September 22 in the Americas and Europe

Mediking

nice, tried the motion controls, works pretty good.

PGWYT7w.gif

Man, this is awesome.

But I still prefer button controls. Lol

Opa-Pa

Took my own screenshots in handheld mode too for those that want to see. Pulled them from the sdcard so eh, as good quality as you can get from the Switch's screenshot captures.

It's 3D elements are sub native resolution all the way through, from the character select / create screen ...

Hub area ...

Oh my jesus, check out those pixels on the right! It gets this low in only specific cases though.

Battles look sweet! This is docked mode, Switch downscales docked mode screenshots to 720p.

Yeah... This is a pass for me then. I feel silly that I waited for this version in retrospect, but all I wanted was to play it portably without it being a significantly watered down experience :(

Mediking

Yeah... This is a pass for me then. I feel silly that I waited for this version in retrospect, but all I wanted was to play it portably without it being a significantly watered down experience :(

I played this game via handheld.

Its awesome.

HUB looks rough.

Thats the ONLY compliant.

Everything else looks good.

Zafir

I think the hub issues are easily overlooked.

That screenshot is kind of misleading from my experience. Although the game does seem to use dynamic resolution, I haven't seen drops that bad very often. Usually if I've just loaded in and then spun the camera around quickly, it chugs a bit while loading in assets.

jrDev

I only see drops in HUB world which is weird because it doesn't seem demanding, plus I am not a frame rate whore to spot every frame difference. But the actual gameplay is rock solid so idk depends on what you want out of the game.

NimbusD

Wow, this game really doesn't look good haha. Thought rocking the system would help, barely.

They should have killed the outlines if they weren't going to bring in any aa.

Still learning the game, right now I'm just mashing a lot because my timing is way too off to do things intentionally. But I think I'll like this. I like anything Dragonball.

Hope I get used to the crazy blockiness or they patch this fucker.

Piers

nice, tried the motion controls, works pretty good.

PGWYT7w.gif
It’s too bad they couldn’t work in activating it with just the initial gesture, and then actually firing it with the second; think players are able to charge up a kamehameha in the game originally. Would of been a lot more satisfying to do that with the arms held back in real life.

This game on portable mode is great.

Conton city is quite ugly and thank god I can change the city music because default one is just maddening.

J@hranimo

Banned
Beating the first advancement test early on and getting your ki charge feels so good.

Male Saiyan btw, really focusing on hand-to-hand combat.

It really isn't all that bad. The hub world yes slightly rough but honestly the frame drops haven't been so consistent that it actually poses an issue. Yeah the resolution isn't as great in handheld mode but honestly it plays really well. Especially where it matters which is the quests.

This game on portable mode is great.

Conton city is quite ugly and thank god I can change the city music because default one is just maddening.

Wait you can? How?

Chinner

Banned
At £54.99 I honestly expected a version with all of the DLC included, not an extra £19.99 for it.

I was thinking of double dipping despite having the game and Season Pass on PC. At that sort of bullshit pricing though it's a hard pass from me.
Don't pay full retail for it? Can get for around 42 quid if you look around

Listonosh

At £54.99 I honestly expected a version with all of the DLC included, not an extra £19.99 for it.

I was thinking of double dipping despite having the game and Season Pass on PC. At that sort of bullshit pricing though it's a hard pass from me.

Yeah I just noticed that too =( Seems weird considering games that launch much later on other platforms usually come with everything included. This way, I'm actually spending $20 more if this game was a full retail price. The fact that it's not, and that it still equals up to $80 kinda sucks. I guess I'll just skip the DLC on the Switch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am really surprised by how much I am enjoying this. Kinda thought it was just a Budokai style arena fighter and instead I am happily grinding away at missions and try out new fun attacks every few minute. The difference even similar attacks have for their combat usage really impressed me, good stuff.

Impulsor

I'm in a busines trip and grabbed this on friday.

Frieza Race, level 59, Already got golden form and divinity unleashed.

Just finished Frieza saga in the story.

Loving being able to play this anywhere.

Played this on PS4, Played a Male Saiyan and dropped it when I got him to be really OP. Did most of the expert missions and what not. Even so, I'm really enjoying replaying this on the go.

Lagamorph

Yeah I just noticed that too =( Seems weird considering games that launch much later on other platforms usually come with everything included. This way, I'm actually spending $20 more if this game was a full retail price. The fact that it's not, and that it still equals up to $80 kinda sucks. I guess I'll just skip the DLC on the Switch.
Thing is £54.99 is way above standard retail price. Even the physical version on Amazon is £44 which is more than Mario Odyssey, an original first party Nintendo game, or Xenoblade 2.

The pricing for this port just makes zero sense to me given that it's purely the base game for that price.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So is the DLC worth it somehow or just fluff?

Just did the giant form quest. Good lord that was harder than it needed to be. I couldn't stay in giant form for longer than like a second, lol. Why's the Namekian life always gotta be so hard?!

I'm probably just bad though.

Zafir

Thing is £54.99 is way above standard retail price. Even the physical version on Amazon is £44 which is more than Mario Odyssey, an original first party Nintendo game, or Xenoblade 2.

The pricing for this port just makes zero sense to me given that it's purely the base game for that price.

There's a reason I grabbed it from the US eshop. The EU prices for it are out of whack.

Zafir

Why are the time patroller challenge people so high level when you bump into them in a parallel mission? I don't get it lol.

Oops, double post. :(

Jimbone

Banned
Having a lot of fun with the game so far. Have a "Frieza-race" character around level 45. I managed to get all the Dragonballs for the first time and since I used the unlock character DLC I wasn't sure what to use it on. Did the Ultimate move and got Hit's Time Skip move, meh.

I have been playing exclusively docked and have no real complaints with its performance. I do wish that the flying around the hub city would use the same controls as my battle control scheme (C). I really hate descending by clicking in the analog stick.

Mediking

Yamcha is my favorite character in DBZ. His dialogue when you train with him is very self aware... lol but he shouldn't be a punching bag.

I still haven't even progressed the story that much. Too addicted to training with Instructors.

Scatter Kamehameha is so cool...

Had a friend wanting to fight me on PC while I was fooling around on the switch so I got a quick comp for shits and giggles.
VhhP6xq.png

A mix bag but mostly low texture quality.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I have two full games for switch, this and Zelda botw. There is a fairly gigantic difference in their production value😥

Is this game worth it if I've never seen the anime? I've been interested in checking it out but would this be a good starting point to get into the franchise?

Lagamorph

Is this game worth it if I've never seen the anime? I've been interested in checking it out but would this be a good starting point to get into the franchise?
Absolutely. The game follows the general major plot fights of the series and can give you a bit of a feel for things without all the filler.

Absolutely. The game follows the general major plot fights of the series and can give you a bit of a feel for things without all the filler.

Thanks! Went ahead and pulled the trigger, further convinced by Amazon still having the Prime discount for this game for some reason.

Rasec46

Neo Member
Thanks! Went ahead and pulled the trigger, further convinced by Amazon still having the Prime discount for this game for some reason.

Make sure to grab all the free dlc on the store since it's only free during one month. One of the dlc will unlock after a bit in the main story mode and will let you play all the story of the first game that focus even more deeply in the main DBZ story.

Mannnn, these graphics are looking rough. I feel like the Switch is definitely capable of running this game with better visuals, especially considering it's only running at 30 fps.

Make sure to grab all the free dlc on the store since it's only free during one month. One of the dlc will unlock after a bit in the main story mode and will let you play all the story of the first game that focus even more deeply in the main DBZ story.

Will do! That was another reason I decided to pick it up now, since I heard it stops being free on October 31st.

mebizzle

Mannnn, these graphics are looking rough. I feel like the Switch is definitely capable of running this game with better visuals, especially considering it's only running at 30 fps.

It looks fine in motion. The overworld stuff can be a little rough but fights look just fine.

Fights are definetely fine, although this surely isn't the pinnacle of Switch's graphical capacities. It's fun though and I enjoy it more than Arms I must admit.

JJShadow

As someone who has never played the Xenoverse games, could someone give me a brief explanation of how the RPG/leveling/progression systems in this game works?

I'm on the fence about this, and knowing that the game has a meaty progression system would definitely help on my decision lol

Do we know the exact date the Time Patrol DLC won't be free anymore?

VegettoEX

Neo Member
Do we know the exact date the Time Patrol DLC won't be free anymore?
On the American eShop, the character unlock and "Legend Patrol Pack" are free through October 31.

In Japan, the unlock code comes with digital purchases up through October 3. The "Legend Patrol Pack" is available with the digital version through December 27 and physical printings up through December 31.

Can't speak to other territories.

I really want to try this out, but the price is just extortionate here in Europe. I just can't justify it. Impressions sound good though. If the price drops before FighterZ launches then I'll give it a go.

Gameplay wise, how similar is it to the Tenkaichi games?

Top Bottom