• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Just started this game! My first impression of it is that the voice acting is really charming.

Question: Is there any big permanently missable stuff I should be aware of? I don't need to get 100% completion or anything, I'm just talking big things, like true endings, optional dungeons, etc. Like I heard one of the new party members is optional -- is he permanently missable and hard to find? Or is it pretty obvious?

Anoxida

Just started this game! My first impression of it is that the voice acting is really charming.

Question: Is there any big permanently missable stuff I should be aware of? I don't need to get 100% completion or anything, I'm just talking big things, like true endings, optional dungeons, etc. Like I heard one of the new party members is optional -- is he permanently missable and hard to find? Or is it pretty obvious?

Nothing major. The new characters are where u met them. Just return at later point in the game and pick them.

I concur about the VA. Only jrpg to trump it imo is FFXII.

Nothing really big.
Morrie isn't miss able, so don't worry!

I've completely forgotten everything about skill points, can I screw myself by using points too early on a weapon type I won't later use?

atm I'm sitting on about 20 pts on Yangus but spent them all on the Hero on the boomerang since I'm a) using it and b) pretty sure I remember using boomerangs and spears with him on PS2.

Arkeband

Banned
I've completely forgotten everything about skill points, can I screw myself by using points too early on a weapon type I won't later use?

atm I'm sitting on about 20 pts on Yangus but spent them all on the Hero on the boomerang since I'm a) using it and b) pretty sure I remember using boomerangs and spears with him on PS2.

I guess it depends on what late game abilities you want - for instance, if you max both swords and courage,
the Gigaslash you learn from one becomes Gigagash when you max the second.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Instant alchemy is nice.
Found a locked chest.

Damn, forgot to make the Thief's Key.

No longer have to run in circles to make it. Open chest right away.

��

Just started the Argonia part of the story and this game is just all sorts of charming. Some of the most endearing scenes in any game, not just Dragon Quest games, are the Mystic Spring scenes. I hope everyone takes the King's request about the Mystic Spring into consideration when continuing on with the journey.

Just beat the very first boss on my first try. Pretty proud of that!

I am really enjoying the game but maybe I am a bit spoiled. Having to walk all the way back to the entrance of the dungeon was kinda boring. Did I miss a shortcut or something?

I am really enjoying the game but maybe I am a bit spoiled. Having to walk all the way back to the entrance of the dungeon was kinda boring. Did I miss a shortcut or something?

Hero gets a spell called "Evac" around level 5 which exits most dungeons. And if you put a measly 8 points in Courage, he also gets "Zoom" which takes you back to various points of interest. Mostly towns, but as important locations get spread out, it will include the Inn & Church combos and even some dungeons. A spell equivalent of a Chimera Wing.

Open air dungeons can be Zoomed away from, but please try using it in an enclosed area once.

Hero gets a spell called "Evac" around level 5 which exits most dungeons. And if you put a measly 8 points in Courage, he also gets "Zoom" which takes you back to various points of interest. Mostly towns, but as important locations get spread out, it will include the Inn & Church combos and even some dungeons. A spell equivalent of a Chimera Wing.

Open air dungeons can be Zoomed away from, but please try using it in an enclosed area once.

I already used the Chimaera Wing I found inside the dungeon. Should have learned my lesson from Dragon Quest Builders...

Yeah, Evac and Zoom are awesome spells. I use them all the time. Even if I can see the town and it'll take me a few minutes to walk there, I'll still use Zoom.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Having visible monsters is a huge game changer. Not only does it make the world more alive, being able to walk more than 3 steps without a random encounter makes the game so much better.

Aeana

Having visible monsters is a huge game changer. Not only does it make the world more alive, being able to walk more than 3 steps without a random encounter makes the game so much better.
Yeah, now you can walk one step into the next visible enemy.

CrocoDuck

Gosh, I forgot just how amazing this game is! I really like the voice acting, and the music is always top; I stopped playing years ago when it first released because of how unforgiving it is. But, I am super determined to play it all the way through this time!

Buy Holy Water, because this advantage wears thin once you realize they stacked the deck with tons of mobs that suicidally charge at you if they so much as get a glimpse out of the corner of their eye. Major yawn having do deal with weak mobs that just keep coming in waves instead of sensibly running away.

Even more perplexing is that once in combat, some of those selfsame suicidal mobs run away because you're too powerful for them. Game picks fights with guys sitting down in dimly lit bars and then freaks the fuck out when they stand up and they're 6'4 and 300lbs.

Kenai

I think I'll pick this up before my flight next weekend and play it on my trip when not doing other stuff.

Still at Loomin on 7 though, and haven't cracked open SMTFinal yet. Gotta get these done!

How/when do you unlock the weekly DLC items? Also does each item disappear for good when the week is up?
Unlocked from the Misc. menu when you start the game. They haven't started distribution yet. No clue as to whether they will run a repeat once they cycle through all the items or not. They aren't talking.

Yeah, now you can walk one step into the next visible enemy.
A few times, I was looking away from the 3DS after a battle and an enemy runs into me right after, without me moving at all (I think). I don't think that happened in DQ7 on 3DS. It wouldn't happen with random encounters. It isn't an issue but it is a difference.

HotHamBoy

Buy Holy Water, because this advantage wears thin once you realize they stacked the deck with tons of mobs that suicidally charge at you if they so much as get a glimpse out of the corner of their eye. Major yawn having do deal with weak mobs that just keep coming in waves instead of sensibly running away.

Even more perplexing is that once in combat, some of those selfsame suicidal mobs run away because you're too powerful for them. Game picks fights with guys sitting down in dimly lit bars and then freaks the fuck out when they stand up and they're 6'4 and 300lbs.

Looks like I'm not buying this game.

Unlocked from the Misc. menu when you start the game. They haven't started distribution yet. No clue as to whether they will run a repeat once they cycle through all the items or not. They aren't talking.

Thanks. Probably only going to start the game a bit, I really want to play it but I'm making myself beat DQ 7 before I dig in.

DPB

I haven't played this version of VIII, but that sounds like the 3DS version of VII, and to a lesser extent IX. I don't even like random encounters, but I don't think the move to visible enemies has been a positive change for this series. It'd be more tolerable if instead of every monster you encounter charging into you at break-neck speed there were ones that just roam about.

Looks like I'm not buying this game.
Easily mitigated with Holy Water/Holy Protection and expert dodging. I an not that good at the latter.

But sure, give up on one of the best JRPGs of all time because it has a few tiny flaws that have sensible workarounds built into the game engine. Your loss.

I haven't played this version of VIII, but that sounds like the 3DS version of VII, and to a lesser extent IX. I don't even like random encounters, but I don't think the move to visible enemies has been a positive change for this series. It'd be more tolerable if instead of every monster you encounter charging into you at break-neck speed there were ones that just roam about.

I prefer random encounters in some situations and visible enemies in others. The ability to Metal Hunt is greatly enhanced with visible, for instance. Holy Water is a good compromise when I want to explore or backtrack for locked treasure chests.

Ryzaki009

Weird. Most of the mobs I out level get the exclamation point but they run away from me instead of towards.

Weird. Most of the mobs I out level get the exclamation point but they run away from me instead of towards.
Early in the game, there are less monsters that charge at you regardless of your character's level. When you overpower them, they run away. In the first area, I think only the Bunny enemies keep coming no matter what. Maybe the peppers as well?

When you reach Baccarat/Argonia, you'll see what I mean though. Although there is a sidequest that gives you a faster method of walking there. Another nice bit of mitigation that lands just in time.

hVThNId.jpg

I never really played either. I love orchestral scores, but mobility is also important. I'm kinda torn...

NolbertoS

I have no idea which DQ game you are playing. So far you can easily avoid the monsters, if your not within 3-4 ft in front of them. All the weak monsters run away from you, once your at a strong level. I had to chase down aome monsters for the fun to bTtle because they'd always hightail it when they see my party. I think the game is easier than the PS2 version in difficulty, even with random encounters. So far enjoying the game even if I nitpicked a few things here and there

kromeo

I think the game is easier than the PS2 version in difficulty, even with random encounters.

I was wondering that, the enemies so far are all hitting me for 1 damage... The boss in the waterfall cave seemed normal though so maybe I'm just remembering wrong

I hope it's not the case, VII was too easy to the point it almost ruined the game

opoth

Banned
This has been really nice to revisit. I finished it when it first came out but never came back to it until now. It felt too different from the DQ I loved at the time, but it seems like it's grown on me.

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
Anyone play the iOS version, how does it compare? The PS2 game was probably the first traditional JRPG I got into. The visuals and music helped ease me in, and the game seemed to know what it was. It gave me a good grinding game, fun characters, smooth and coherent gameplay.

I feel on 3DS I could replay this, but I am a bit bummed about the soundtrack. I enjoyed the sweeping symphonic anthem, and all the pumping up for battles even if it did get repetitive. I honestly got into this more than Pokémon, which probably kills many people, but it's the honest to god truth friends.

kromeo

Anyone play the iOS version, how does it compare? The PS2 game was probably the first traditional JRPG I got into. The visuals and music helped ease me in, and the game seemed to know what it was. It gave me a good grinding game, fun characters, smooth and coherent gameplay.

I feel on 3DS I could replay this, but I am a bit bummed about the soundtrack. I enjoyed the sweeping symphonic anthem, and all the pumping up for battles even if it did get repetitive. I honestly got into this more than Pokémon, which probably kills many people, but it's the honest to god truth friends.

Phone version doesn't have voice acting and the controls kind of suck

Lothar

Banned
I was wondering that, the enemies so far are all hitting me for 1 damage... The boss in the waterfall cave seemed normal though so maybe I'm just remembering wrong

I hope it's not the case, VII was too easy to the point it almost ruined the game

They also added something new where you get full HP/MP on level ups. What a terrible idea. DQ8 did not need to be made easier.

Some people in this thread are already playing the 3DS version with the orchestral soundtrack. Someone posted a link to a guide here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228829628&postcount=647

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Relieved to find out you CAN change the control nub settings on the N3DS.

When I started this last night I was horrified to learn it was inverted, and read on here somewhere that there was no option to change it but that's not true, you have to go into the settings in the actual menu and change the "control pad" option which will also change the control nub.

I haven't noticed any major differences in difficulty between this and PS2 version. I think aside from the extra conveniences here like the levelling up giving you full HP/MP and just being more familiar with the game helps. But then in this version I am usually 2-3 levels behind compared to the PS2/Mobile version. The difference is that I get into way, way less battles in the overworld on 3DS.

Mobile version is the worst one and should be played only if you have no other option. I guess if you care so much about the orchestra then play the PS2 version first. It's a lot more gorgeous and has all the bells and whistles. 3DS version plays much better though and you can patch on the superior orchestral soundtrack. Having been used to that soundtrack though, I'm pretty satisfied with the synthesised music.

Yeah, I've noticed in some ways, there's actually more battles. But the faster battle speeds cancels it all out.
I can see that for DQVII but not VIII. Enemies are ridiculously easy to dodge here and only a few symbols, usually flying types, can actually get to you if they see you. In the overworld especially I can go on for 15 to 30 minutes exploring without a single encounter if I wanted. This would be several random battles in the PS2 version.

entremet

hVThNId.jpg

I never really played either. I love orchestral scores, but mobility is also important. I'm kinda torn...
The orchestral score for the PS2 is rather weak, but no random encounters and fast battles is a huge deal for the 3DS.

The midi 3DS score is rather good.

MaxDOL

Anyone get their copy from play-Asia? Mine says pending and it also says pending on the store game page. :(

Pending stock arrival. * Expected stock arrival 25-01-2017

You and me will gonna get this game next month at this rate.

I will never pre-order on Play-Asia ever again.

I will simply buy from our local Thai game retailer now that they do not charge fee when paid by credit card.

They got DQVIII since Thursday.Should have buy it local i would already play the game this weekend.

Joqu

hVThNId.jpg

The orchestral score for the PS2 is rather weak, but no random encounters and fast battles is a huge deal for the 3DS.

The midi 3DS score is rather good.
3DS orchestrated > 3DS midi > PS2 orchestrated > PS2 midi

is how I would rate them from what I've heard. Still unfortunate, but the midi IS quite good here.

This has probably already been answered but I just hit level 4 and was mashing A to get through the text and accidentally didn't spend my points. Do I get those back on the next level up or are they gone forever?

Aeana

This has probably already been answered but I just hit level 4 and was mashing A to get through the text and accidentally didn't spend my points. Do I get those back on the next level up or are they gone forever?

You can spend them at any time via the menu. Misc -> Skill points I think?
But also next time you level up you will have them available to spend in addition to what you gained.

Linkura

You can even use them in the Misc menu if you want. Or when you level up.

You can spend them at any time via the menu. Misc -> Skill points I think?
But also next time you level up you will have them available to spend in addition to what you gained.

Excellent, thank you.

Really enjoying the game so far. The only thing I dislike is the battle victory "music". Just a couple of bleep boops and then silence? Very strange.

Caim

They should be there the next time you level.

Lothar

Banned
Hnnnnnnnggggg, that Dragon Warrior soundtrack. So many memories. Fuck I'm old.

Everyone who hasn't played Dragon Warrior 1, click on the Cave Themes on that soundtrack playlist starting with Cave Theme 1. The music changed every time you went to a lower floor. That made the caves so moody and eerie, especially as a kid. It's like we were going down to hell. Has any other game ever done something like that with it's music?

Top Bottom